• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony requiring password changes after 'irregular PSN activity'

Trouble

Banned
Just got a password reset notice. The most annoying thing is I have to enter a new password in my PS3/PS4/Vita now. :p

Chuck

Still without luck
I cannot believe they have no way of changing your birthdate. Sony still has some stuff to get in order, clearly.

Luckily the woman who helped me was very helpful. Just took like an hour on hold to talk to her.

Kibbles

Is this a precaution or what? They need to communicate this shit. Not a good first impression of PSN after being an Xbox guy until the ps4, that's for sure.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ive talked to some other folks and they said they are not effected at all. So it does not seem to be an across the board type of thing and instead more case by case.

If anything Im getting the feeling this may be more chicken little than anything major.

boohowc

Banned
Ive talked to some other folks and they said they are not effected at all. So it does not seem to be an across the board type of thing and instead more case by case.

If anything Im getting the feeling this may be more chicken little than anything major.

More like they've been doing it slowly. This was reported last week for EU accounts and now it seems to be happening to more and more people. Mine is a US account.

Parakeetman

More like they've been doing it slowly. This was reported last week for EU accounts and now it seems to be happening to more and more people. Mine is a US account.

Either that or a bunch of people got spoofed by something which explains why it was only some folks at this time and not an all at once thing.

*Edit
Seems like you were right. Just got the email now from Sony on this.

Eyothrie

I got hacked on Sunday. $150 was added to my PSN wallet via three separate $50 transactions. My Visa attached to my account was charged. I was out of town, and the purchase confirmation emails from Sony rolled in on my phone. I called their support, put in a case to get a refund, and promptly changed my password and removed my CC. They told me it would take 5-7 days for the refund to hit my account. Crazy.

bazzaar

Neo Member
I got the official email from Sony today but had to reset my password yesterday when trying to login on the PS3.

Parakeetman

Btw I take that back. I just got my email from them only now for the US account.

So seems like you are right about them rolling it out slowly, but what an odd way to do things.

Yeah, I've heard someone over on Something Awful reporting getting FIFA jacked to the tune of $100 or so despite using a unique, KeePass-generated, 20 character password. I would advise all SEN users to delete credit card info from their accounts, and I would advise all Microsoft account users to be wary in case their attention turns to the 360 or Xbone versions.

I got hacked on Sunday. $150 was added to my PSN wallet via three separate $50 transactions. My Visa attached to my account was charged. I was out of town, and the purchase confirmation emails from Sony rolled in on my phone. I called their support, put in a case to get a refund, and promptly changed my password and removed my CC. They told me it would take 5-7 days for the refund to hit my account. Crazy.

Damn. At least you'll eventually get your money back I guess.

Eusis

Got the email, I had logged in via the mobile site on two devices and got a PS4. Dunno if that set them off, if something happened, or they're just covering their bases.

Jedi2016

I'm assuming this would affect your console sign-in as well? I booted up my PS4 and it logged right in, got into the store and everything, so I guess I'm okay.

Derrick01

Banned
When and where do people get these notices? I just signed into PSN (US) on my PS3 and didn't get anything?

Check your email too. I didn't get any forced messages after signing in but they sent me an email tonight which, funny enough, tells you they forced a password change request on you.

edit: After I changed mine my PS4 wouldn't sign into PSN until I put the new pass in. I guess I was lucky there?

Holy shit this is annoying. Was waiting to get into the live chat when it finally opens up but when I put in all of my info it won't let me hit the submit button. I hit the back button and I have to wait again.

I changed my password and made sure my credit info was not on there. Even though I had yet to be prompted for it.

Sony I would LOVE some free games though.

DirtyLarry

Sure enough I got the email earlier today saying my password was reset. Who would've thought that downloading Tearaway, redeeming the code I purchased for Killzone SF Season Pass, and purchasing ResoGun and Contrast on their website all while I am on vacation in the Phillipines would be considered suspicious activity? LOL
In all seriousness glad they flagged that as suspicious tbh, as it would definitely not be normal activity be in any other scenario. It is just I am on vacation for 18 days, so have been doing a decent amount here to try and keep up with things.

So I have never had to reset my password. I am waiting until I get back to the US to do so, so what is the easiest way to reset ones password?

I plan on setting up my ps4 first thing whe I do get home in 6 days, so if someone can point me in the right direction for the easiest way to do so (I know my DOB), it would be greatly appreciated. My internet here is spotty at best, so really all I have been visiting is the mobile version of GAF while on vacation. Trying to Google anything results in minutes of waiting just to get a page not available message and do I want to switch to Google PH, which I do not want to do, so that is why I ask for the assistance with the best way to do it. I also do not want to do the password reset here for obvious reasons, although I do have my Vita with me and am tempted, I think it just is much smarter to wait to reset it in the country I reside in.

I'm sure I could find it when I get home, but as you can see I like to plan things out and I am also anxious to get my ps4 up and running, as I still have no idea if I am part of the .4% of unfortunate consumers, so this is just one less step when I get home is all. Again any assistance is truly and greatly appreciated.

I'm still having no luck on the SEN website. I just get the error message. We are unable to complete your password change request. Try again later. So, so frustrating.

_woLf

What the fuck is going on with this thing?

I try logging in to change my password. Current password is always wrong, apparently. Even though I know for a FACT that it's right.

Try entering my DoB to get it back, says it's wrong every time. Tried other combinations in case the date or year was a day/year too high or low, too. Wrong.

Fuck you, Sony.

I try logging in to change my password. Current password is always wrong, apparently. Even though I know for a FACT that it's right.

Try entering my DoB to get it back, says it's wrong every time. Tried other combinations in case the date or year was a day/year too high or low, too. Wrong.

Fuck you, Sony.

Most likely you used a fake DoB.

Fuck you, Sony.

Just send them an email, they'll send you a link to reset it.

Fuck you, Sony.

Same thing's happening to me. I emailed Sony and have been waiting all day for a response.

_woLf

better to call them instead. you might have to wait about an hour to get through but they'll take care of you.

image.php

Dumb. Verified my DoB was correct online, they couldn't figure out why I couldn't reset my password. Said they've been getting a lot of calls about it.

Oh well. Good to go now, I think.

KJ869

Had problem logging in, changed my password because I head read about it from GAF and then few hours laters got the email and was forced to change account password again, strange. No CC on my account as im using USA account for my vita.

Zoe

Had problem logging in, changed my password because I head read about it from GAF and then few hours laters got the email and was forced to change account password again, strange. No CC on my account as im using USA account for my vita.

It's not actually checking that you've changed your password, it's checking whether you've cleared the flag on your account.

Top Bottom