• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Binary Domain

Binary Domain has never grabbed my attention since it was announced and through its release with the mediocre score it received. But I try not give reviews to much credit and see what people are saying about the game, why they think its good or bad. Since I'm not investing in new a console I thought about giving a chance to those games that I have skipped since they're cheap now and even if they turn out bad, the damage would be minimum. What made me pick Binary Domain is how often it gets mentioned here when discussing best shooters. It would always get mentioned a long with Vanquish, a game which I loved and thought was one of the best shooters I have ever played(and also got mediocre scores).

At first, I was impressed by the game. The premise of the game is interesting. The story has been told before but I thought it was amusing and does its purpose well. The ability to give commands to your teammates. The Dead Space style shop where you can buy guns and upgrade them. The solid gun-play and the destructible robots. Everything was pointing to greatness.

However, few hours of playing the game I started seeing its flaws and how a lot of what impressed me at the beginning proves useless or uninteresting.

For example, the ability to give commands, which sounded cool at first, is pointless. I'm playing the game on Hard, if that matters, and never felt that I need to give commands. Even I did it would always be the "Fire" command, or the "cover me" (whats the difference?). I wish I was able to give more specific commands instead, like picking which enemy I'd like the AI to focus on, or where to retreat to.

The same goes for the skill "nano machines". I acquired a bunch, but they're all very typical type of upgrades that don't affect how you play the game much.

The shop was probably one of the most disappointing parts of the game. When I first saw it I thought "Cool, now I can buy guns and pick them up when ever I want. I can use which ever gun I want for any scenario!" BUT NO!!. Each shop has a different set of guns to buy which are appropriate for the situation. No shop has all the guns that you can buy. But what about upgrading guns? yeah, that's still works, but you can only upgrade your main assault rifle or the main weapon of your teammate. Half way through the game, my main weapon became so powerful that it made the other weapons feel useless.

That's another thing with this game that bothered me a lot. Weapons! There is a fair amount of different weapons in this game. You get at least two different guns for each type (two shotguns, two sniper rifles, three pistols...) but they don't feel distinct at all. Plus, the all look ugly. Even Spec Ops which had THE typical weapons variety, had more fun weapons to play with that felt distinct from each other.

From the reviews that I glimpsed over, many of them complained about boss battles that they drag for longer than they should. I didn't agree with that until the
biker robot boss.
It is just tedious. The battle itself is easy but it takes too long. and you can't tell whether you're making damage or not since there is no boss health bar. To me, this part felt like a fucking chore. So I think I ll stop playing the game here.

To be fair however, shooting robots to pieces is so much fun. Like that's what kept me playing the game. Blowing robots to bits. Though I just wish that the other aspects were done better. I had fun with the game, but I don't know if I want to finish it. It seemed that I unlocked all the weapons and I doubt there would be something interesting to see.

So, what was your experience with the game or what made you like/hate it?

Tell your mother I loved her.

e:
In all seriousness, it was definitely one of my favorite shooters this gen. I had some issues with weapon upgrades as well, and the 2nd guerrilla boss was a fucking cunt.

Courage

Loved the game overall. It was charming, funny and touching towards the end. The shooting mechanics and enemy animations were also great.

Though I have to agree that I also hate the boss you spoiler tagged. Such a pain in the ass.

eot

Banned
I thought the combat was lots of fun, I didn't play on hard though (that probably makes the boss fight more tedious). Shooting the limbs off robots didn't get old for me, the visual feedback is so good. The game also won me over with its charm. It might've been unintentional but it's charming nonetheless. Gotta love Big Bo.

The twist is also stupid and hilarious.

bronk

Banned
I had a lot of fun with this one. The voice commands were dumb tho. I would always melee my comrades. I got a chuckle out of that.

Miker

I turned voice commands off because they were silly. Otherwise, I had an absolute blast with Binary Domain. Amazing sense of escalation and nearly perfect pacing (minus that one boss you mentioned). I thought the twist at the end was wacky as hell, but the whole game was so wacky I took it in stride.

The pacing, though, was just so good that I played it for about seven hours in a row until I finished it - I'd go so far as to call it one of the best-paced games I've ever played.

rvy

Banned
You should totally go online and play against yourself.
Got it for 20€. I don't regret a single cent, but Yakuza 5 still hasn't released. I feel cheated.

Coxy

The nanomachines would have been so much more interesting if they let you play as the other characters

Cain has some really interesting tank/melee stuff and it's be awesome to play as him and get in there and kick some heads off

ArjanN

One of the more underrated games this gen. It's worth finishing .

The boss battle you mention goes on too long but isn't that hard.

I thought the combat was lots of fun, I didn't play on hard though (that probably makes the boss fight more tedious). Shooting the limbs off robots didn't get old for me, the visual feedback is so good. The game also won me over with its charm. It might've been unintentional but it's charming nonetheless. Gotta love Big Bo.

The twist is also stupid and hilarious.
Good point. I think all they did for upping the difficulty with the bosses is make them take more damage, so I probably should have played it on normal.

Yeah, I agree with everyone saying that it's a charming game, that surprised me as well.

Edit:Yes! I wish I could play with one of the other characters. Then it would also make sense to upgrade their stats!

system11

Picked this as one of my 20 generation highlights - the game was pretty solid but the story which seemed a bit limp at first, turned into something awesome around half way through.

Shame it sold so poorly, no justice in the world.

SHARKvince

Neo Member
One of the projects of the last few years I'm most fond to have been working on (did localisation related things on it). There is a LOT of passion that went into it, and I had an amazing time.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
When you're on foot and blowing robots into thousands of pieces, it's the best TPS ever made. It's a steaming pile of shit when you're doing anything else.

It's still one of my favorite games this generation and I'm sad we'll probably never get a sequel.

Jackpot

Banned
Loved the game.

But the Devil May Cry quality of the early Spider boss makes the subsequent bullet sponge boss fights a disappointment.

synce

I remember playing the demo on either 360 or PS3 and going wow, this game would be insane if the framerate wasn't so shit. Then I found out about the PC version and fell in love. It's one of a handful of shooters last gen I actually enjoyed, alongside Vanquish and RE5

Ikon

I just started this game this weekend too. I feel that most of it works except for the actual robot enemies. So boring to shoot at (dunno why... I like killing robots in some other games).

The story and characters/dialogue is what is making me think about completing it. Also the ability to choose your squad was unexpected and nice.

Sojgat

Loved it.

Great pacing, good shooting mechanics, memorable characters, and a fun story. I finished the game in a single sitting, because there was just no good stopping point.

Fuck robots!
Y'know what I'm sayin'?

Riposte

Yeah, was one of my favorite games of that year. That boss was a serious pain in the ass lol. You should finish it, because the game only gets better after that. I especially have fond memories of not giving a fuck about cover with a riot shield and a highly accurate pistol.

Ducarmel

I got it a couple of days after its release and played up to the spider boss and forgot about it, I did beat it for the first time this year. I like the game enough that I am kind bummed out that we wont see a sequel. I liked the story the most, one of the few games last gen imo that does not have a crappy third act in terms of story.

Evilisk

I just started this game this weekend too. I feel that most of it works except for the actual robot enemies. So boring to shoot at (dunno why... I like killing robots in some other games).

What.

Shooting at the enemies is so much fun. Blowing off the legs and then finishing off the job with a melee attack, or blowing the head off and seeing them take out one another never got old for me.

Been playing since it's free on ps plus.

Single player is fun. Great campy action game.

Multiplayer would be amazing...but what the hell is up with the lag? Never seen a game have such incredible lag issues. And the respawning? What the hell? Did they even put any sort of effort to keep you away from the opponent? If this game wasn't so rough around the edges it'd be great.

lunchtoast

Beat this last night. Agree with the OP. I kept playing because of the setting and story. Kind of seemed like a realistic future. The ending when the major showed up and it got stupid, and the ending kinda sucked.

The commands were pointless, and I was kind of mad upgrading weapons for people that ended up disappearing or dying. You have options for other guns but you might as well just use your main since that's the only one you can upgrade.

It was satisfying tearing apart robots with bullets. Did not like losing half the crew for half the game. Also the highway scene was frustrating. No cover plus the van moving all over made it hard to shoot. Why do devs do this, I don't know. Also when the bridge is collapsing and you have to run across it. I died about 6 times. The game was not designed for quick movement it was annoying.

Daingurse

Game impressed me when I played it on PC. Was way better than I was expecting. The robot enemies just gave so much positive feedback, extremely fun to shoot.

The story started with interesting premises, but took a turn to weirdness in the end. I did like the bosses and their length though (except for the last one probably).

gugeifer

I thought that its a great SEGA game. Tons of shooting, great robot designs, great feel of japanese game and fun interactions between members of the team and switches that you could do. That spider boss was great.

We need games like this to remind us what it was like to play through the game where the only things that you have to do are to shoot better and not die prematurely.

I played from Chapter 1 to the beginning of 5 today thanks to it being available on PS+ and I'm kinda disappointed in myself for not supporting it on release. This game is very endearing. The characters, as one note as they are, give the game a lot of life you don't normally find in these shooters. Now, there are issues with some jank in the cover system, sometimes getting stuck in a ragdoll loop taking multiple heavy hits back to back without a chance to prevent it, lack of finesse in the non-shooting sections, the upgrade system which generally feels useless, and some bosses that do go on a little too long, but none of it is game breaking or game ruining. It's not Gears of War, and it's definitely not Vanquish, but the game succeeds despite its issues IMO because

1. Shredding robots feels good. This is self explanatory. Shooting pieces off of robots to make them turn on each other, stop shooting, stop walking, and eventually die simply works. The enemies look reactive, and it legitimately feels like you're shooting man-made objects that are falling apart with every few bullets. I love the sections where they put like 10 enemies walking at you Terminator "future war" style, and you just dump shots into a crowd watching as each of them meet a different fate. The mix of standard enemy types is good also. I especially enjoy the rushers who try to dropkick you with no regard for their own safety.

2. Solid variety of scenarios. Sometimes you run point, sometimes you're taking orders, sometimes you're covering for your partners who decide to take action, sometimes you're cover shooting, sometimes it feels more like a run & gun arena, sometimes it's a mini-boss, sometimes it's a giant boss, sometimes it's a corridor, sometimes it's it's turret section, sometimes you have one squadmate, sometimes you have many squadmates, sometimes it's a "story section" where you talk to people,, sometimes you're on a amusement ride, etc. Now this all sounds pretty typical, but it's mostly paced well, has a good sense of forward progress, and made more enjoyable by...

3....the characters and the narrative. Everyone here is pretty simple, but they all feel like distinct people with distinct looks and all get time to shine, either through cutscenes, or by taking charge in gameplay and pushing the issue as you cover them. Your team doesn't feel like a blank slate, nor do any of the side characters you meet along the way. Solid character models do help with this, but ultimately it comes down to how they structured the game. And yes, a lot of the banter is corny, and some of the delivery is laughable, but it's all in good fun. Real B-movie, but it doesn't feel like the game's trying too hard. And as simple as the relationship system is, I think it helps to create an attachment to these characters like very, very few squad based TPS achieve. As for the overarching narrative, again, it's entertaining for all those same reasons. Cutscenes have solid direction, and everyone's motivations are clear, including the player's as you always understand exactly why you're doing what you're doing and where you have to go.

I do wish squad commands were more fleshed out, at least to the point of letting you pick where your teammates set up shop, and making everyone focus on one target, but the game is still solid. I do hope this isn't the last shooter we'll see out of the Yakuza team.

george_us

I love how this game more of less sets out to be a bland military shooter and ends up being more charming than 99% of all everything released this generation. Absolutely loved the game.

stn

Enjoyed it quite a bit. It was really the setting and story that drew me in, its not often you have a game based in Neo Tokyo. I wish it received enough support to garner a sequel.

I should actually play this, I spent ages trying to get the voice commands to not suck/actually work and gave up when they wouldn't. I even used a studio mic, pop screen, isolation screen and a dedicated audio interface. Something tells me that setup far surpasses any quality requirements and yet I still had issues. I didn't play enough to form an opinion on any actual gameplay though.

NeoGash

What made me hate it? I already played Gears of War which had much better shooting and cover mechanics and overall movement. The robots crawling on the floor was cool though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The part where Shindo
is taking a shit and you have to defend him
was amazing! Fun game, nothing mindblowing and the premise could have been delved into a bit deeper, but it has the great boss fights missing from a lot of cover shooters and very clean graphics.

Same as others thought it was a delightfully fun surprise of a game. Not perfect but kinda oldschool sega'y fun. Multiple gameplay moments/set pieces something that was and still is rare now. Terrible characters but an enjoyable romp none the less.

NastyBook

Necrobumping, sorry, but I just wrapped this one up and came away pretty impressed. Gunplay was very solid, with the only real problem being unable to switch weapons mid-reload. Boss battles were fun, with the bosses themselves being very diverse and original. Story was excellent, as was its pacing. The only thing that bothered me about it was that Amada's A.I., hyper intelligent as it was, thought to do something as stupid as
make a fucking itemized list of all of his hybrid children. That scene just bothered me with him going "You'll never find them!" and Charlie going "Uhh, yes we will. We have a LIST with their NAMES on it right here."
Thought Charlie's VA was old boy from Uncharted 2, but turns out it was Mr. Baker. Go figure.

Lastly, WTF happened to
Cain?
Like, I was thinking he'd show up in a post credits scene, but he's just gone, man. Shit made NO sense. I guess he was considered compromised or something.

Daante

I bought in to the GAF hype, bought it in steam summer sale like 1-2 years ago, tried really hard to like it, but ended up feeling "meh" after i played it for quite some time.

eot

Banned
Lastly, WTF happened to
Cain?
Like, I was thinking he'd show up in a post credits scene, but he's just gone, man. Shit made NO sense. I guess he was considered compromised or something.

There are multiple endings depending on how much trust your squad has. Cain shows up in some of them (the good one for sure, not sure about the bad one).

aasoncott

Confession time.

I played the demo. It seemed alright to me, though it felt like I was constantly fighting the controls a bit.

Then I got to a section where there are, I think, robots swarming you while you're on some sort of train platform. They respawn endlessly, and I ran in circles for five minutes without being able to figure out where to go. And I died. And I had no desire to repeat any part of the experience, so I immediately deleted the demo and moved on. Regardless of what anyone says, that's been my entire opinion of the game: infinitely respawning enemies, awkward controls, and terrible level layout.

It's entirely possible (hell, probable) that I'm wrong about the game, but I've never even considered giving it another shot. Even when it came up for sale for three or four dollars, I was on the cusp of buying it, and then I thought about how much I hated the demo.

Sojgat

Confession time.

I played the demo. It seemed alright to me, though it felt like I was constantly fighting the controls a bit.

Then I got to a section where there are, I think, robots swarming you while you're on some sort of train platform. They respawn endlessly, and I ran in circles for five minutes without being able to figure out where to go. And I died. And I had no desire to repeat any part of the experience, so I immediately deleted the demo and moved on. Regardless of what anyone says, that's been my entire opinion of the game: infinitely respawning enemies, awkward controls, and terrible level layout.

It's entirely possible (hell, probable) that I'm wrong about the game, but I've never even considered giving it another shot. Even when it came up for sale for three or four dollars, I was on the cusp of buying it, and then I thought about how much I hated the demo.

There's usually a set number of enemies per area, there's only a handful of sections where they endlessly respawn.

Dunno, it really did nothing for me. Interesting premise, yet tedious bosses, merely ok gameplay, silly twist and overall pretty forgetable. I don't know how on earth you could take the story serious after the revelations start kicking in.

Visual feedback was cool though, credit where it is due.

jimi_dini

I experienced something like this. The demo felt weird. Then I bought the actual game a few weeks or months later and getting to this section in the real game didn't feel like the demo anymore. At all. It's just a few bucks nowadays and the first hour or so is also kinda weird, but then the controls click and it gets awesome.

The multiplayer was also really fun. I think it was one of the only times, where I had a sort of somewhat-SOCOM-like experience this generation. And especially coop is a blast, the last few waves are incredibly intense. Multiplayer is probably dead, but I saw a few Binary Domain buddies (we managed to get platinum for it) playing the game every now and then.

Top Bottom