• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My crisis of faith with socially aware games criticism

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think a lot of it is the nature of the internet. I rarely run into or have met people(outside of when I was in college, perhaps) as extreme from one side of the argument to the other as I have on the internet. On the internet you seem to either run into staunch crusaders for social reform who seem to have the perfect answer for everything or the people who seem to want to stem the tide of social reform at any cost. I'll be the 1st to admit, I always wonder how "real" 99% of the people on the internet are.

It's bizarre, isn't it? It's a bit of a Clark Kent / Superman thing, I think. In real life, you are meek, polite and generally agreeable. But then you adopt anonymity and become an ultra powerhouse of unalterable Controversial Opinions which are FACT!

Overall, this kind of discussion is a good thing though. Hopefully, somewhere, somehow, to some tiny degree it'll help push diversity in gaming (as in - more types of more games by different types of people, including all of the "dudebro" type games and other much-sneered at "mainstream" games).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
And the quoted post that was called stupid of the post I quoted suggested changing the color to differentiate from Pac-Man.

That wouldn't have worked, it would have been confusing as well. They did the simplest solution.

Then again, Pac-Man is a horrible example of this whole debate, because I can't believe for a second that anyone believes it to be truly sexist.

Yup. As a gay woman can I just say I'd be more concerned about my Ms Pacman score than the politics of what she was wearing.

Edit: actually I'm not sure whether my point agrees with you or not. My point is that it's Ms Pacman. Ms Pacman! If the LGBT gangs take away my Ms Pacman, I renounce my membership of the gangs. Even if we can, you know, take down the government, create sinister agendas and what not.

In answer to the original discussion, I think there is generally a lot of self-righteousness on both sides of the journalistic spectrum. It happens in other areas, not just games. I've seen blind, maniacal anti-discussion attitudes in groups that would stereotypically be associated with tree-hugging and then you have the worst extremes of Fox News. Because games media is so internet-heavy, it becomes an echo chamber and these attitudes multiply and get maginified and become memes of a sort. It's all bonkers, if you ask me. It's healthy to have this kind of social criticism applied to games and I think it will help open them up to more creative participation and newer ideas. But it should also not obscure the fact that if a game is good, it's good. And Ms Pacman is good. Apparently, Dragon's Crown is, too.

i think the discussions for social awareness is good, but sometimes you try to have a balanced conversation, and then you have defensive outbursts from both sides.

But it's good to have people from the minority side speak up, cause like i mentioned before: sometimes it feels like it's white WESTERN people condemning white males for liking something that might be a little bit overreacted to.

Because pink is associated as a feminine thing and they want to convey that it's a feminine character with very limited resources to do so.

It's really as simple as that. Not saying it's ideal, but if she was say, green, people would be saying "Huh, what's 'Ms.' about that?" Keep in mind this is the 80s we're talking about as well. Pink is the most easily understood way to convey that...so she's pink.

I realize this is a very basic answer that is in no way eye-opening, and you aren't interested in a response, but there it is.

But what's particularly manly about a yellow circle other than that they called it Pac-Man?

Not really. The point isn't exactly that Ms Pac-Man HAS a bow and lipstick, but more that the only thing separating her from the original is that they slapped on two extremely generic gender identifiers.

versus what? i guess they could have given her boobs or something lol

Again, I don't think people are furious that secondary and tertiary gender indicators exist. They're usually just pointing out that using them necessarily introduces "politics" into a game, since those symbols are all very culturally dependent.

an argument i find a bit silly as every character in every game has these characteristics that are culturally dependent. You don't see many men wearing dresses in video games.

But what's particularly manly about a yellow circle other than that they called it Pac-Man?

nothing. the point is they decided to differentiate games and they already had pac"man", so they are kind of stuck i think

Xenon

I want to make it very clear right up front that I'm not heavily invested in this particular argument. But something about this paragraph struck me as kind of off the mark in that you seem to have undermined your own point, provided I'm even following the conversation in its entirety (and I may not be, it's been a long day that's not about to end anytime soon). But if it's all in the name, and Pac-Man tells us everything we need to know, doesn't the name Ms. Pac-Man already do the same? The post you're calling stupid seems perfectly valid to me.

The difference is Pac Man was the established character when they released Mrs P-M. If Pac-Man did not exist when Mrs Pac-Man was released you would have a point. They had to do something more to differentiate the character. Besides, a simple palette swap would not have had the same effect.

Nothing. Which is why I said earlier that Ms. Pac-man only has a pink bow because it became necessary (in the creator's eyes) to differentiate it from the already existing character, who was plain because it came first.

If Ms. Pac-man came first I could easily see her being the plain yellow circle and "Mr." Pac-man being the same with a blue fedora or something instead of a pink bow.

One day, you'll wake up and realize YOU'RE the cancer. What an ugly, destructive, awful person you are.

PA gives millions to charity, more to a scholarship fund, and ran the most progressive game convention in the industry, banning "Booth babes" and bringing along a forum for discussion about the exact issues you care about. That stupid, blind, destructive hatred for everyone who shows even one drop of impure thoughts is what kills a movement, because it just makes the people involved look like either bitter assholes, or outright psychopaths.

You're not in it to help anyone. You just want to give yourself an excuse to bully people and feel good about it. You use good causes as an excuse to make the world worse.
Thank you.

Also, I take offense at the OP stating that the Sorceress Titty Debacle is the only reason that Dragon's Crown did well. It couldn't have been that it's a kickass game? Get off your fucking high horse and stop thinking that you had any impact on the game's sales unless you bought a copy.

casabolg

Banned

I'm not sure if I'm misrepresenting the argument when budding in here but Ms. Pac-Man was created specifically for the female crowd so no matter how Pac-Man was designed, a more 'feminine' design was in order to make the game appeal more as thanks to the female playerbase. It was done to contrast from the original design in a simple and effective way. The interest of making Ms. Pac-Man to thank the female playerbase of Pac-Man is where the gender-dichotomy is first mentioned, so it would be where it originated.

zeldablue

Hmm, I was working with a bunch of game design students over the summer when the Anita game tropes thing became a topic. I was the only girl on the team, and this was the first time I had ever heard games and feminist critique put into the same sentence. The thought intrigued me...but the reaction from the boys, completely through me off. Since I had no opinion on feminism or any education on feminist philosophy, I simply watched the fiasco from my computer desk.

They were really against having games critiqued from a feminist perspective. And the way they spoke was exactly how you would read the YouTube comments...if Anita had allowed for them to take place. Their spoken thoughts were no different from what you'd find on twitter or tumblr.

It's an awful comparison, but I'll make it anyways. Reacting to critiques of any sort with that amount of hatred is both terrifying and irrational. It's like gunning down and bombing girls in the Middle East for going to school and trying to have a voice. If you feel your way of life is threatened by giving a 5 year old girl some rights...you should at least try to rationalize that fear a bit better.

The wackos asking for games to have censorship and better representation aren't going to impact your games in any way. CoD will still be CoD and DC will still be DC. What the crazy social journalists are looking for...simply doesn't exist yet. But when the market grows, so too will the variety of games.

Hmm, I was working with a bunch of game design students over the summer when the Anita game tropes thing became a topic. I was the only girl on the team, but this was the first time I had ever heard games and feminist critique put into the same sentence. The thought intrigued me...but the reaction from the boys, completely through me off.

They were really against having games critiqued from a feminist perspective. And the way they spoke was exactly how you would read the YouTube comments...if Anita had allowed for them to take place. The thoughts they had were spoken allowed just as you'd find on twitter or tumblr.

It's an awful comparison, but I'll make it anyways. Reacting to critiques of any sort with that amount of hatred is both terrifying and irrational. It's like gunning down and bombing girls in the Middle East for going to school and trying to have a voice. If you feel your way of life is threatened by giving a 5 year old girl some rights...you should at least try to rationalize that fear a bit better.

The wackos asking for games to have censorship and better representation aren't going to impact your games in any way. CoD will still be CoD and DC will still be DC. What the crazy social journalists are looking for...simply doesn't exist yet. But when the market grows, so too will the variety of games.
You're right, that's a fucking terrible comparison. I can't believe what I just read.

Yeah, I had an issue with that Brianna Wu article implicating Giant Bomb for not having Tomb Raider on their GOTY list as being gender backwards when they had Gone Home on their lists which is more important. Plus, Tomb Raider isn't even that good of a game and they didn't bring up anything about gender of why they didn't care for the game. Brianna did.

Shinta

Banned
Reacting to critiques of any sort with that amount of hatred is both terrifying and irrational. It's like gunning down and bombing girls in the Middle East for going to school and trying to have a voice.

You should call 911 then. We don't want people like that on the streets.

unbias

It's bizarre, isn't it? It's a bit of a Clark Kent / Superman thing, I think. In real life, you are meek, polite and generally agreeable. But then you adopt anonymity and become an ultra powerhouse of unalterable Controversial Opinions which are FACT!

Overall, this kind of discussion is a good thing though. Hopefully, somewhere, somehow, to some tiny degree it'll help push diversity in gaming (as in - more types of more games by different types of people, including all of the "dudebro" type games and other much-sneered at "mainstream" games).

Ya, discussion is good as long as it doesnt turn into crusades, then it just turns into preaching from one isle to the next, which then encourages intolerance of differing opinions. I think the diversity in games, though, will come once it stops becoming a badge of honor or contention to have said diversity in games. Diversity is needed in this industry, imo, but it needs to come because it wants it otherwise you get placation, and I dont think that helps anyone, other then enforcing stereotypes. I think minorities with level headedness, as you have provided, is much more helpful then any particular advice some try to give. I'll say though, I think the lack of diversity will fix itself with more of the indie push(there is much less risk aversion). The game industry has to get past its own gameplay cliche's, imo, before we can start to see social diversity in games(we barely have mechanical diversity, much less social ones).

Hmm, I was working with a bunch of game design students over the summer when the Anita game tropes thing became a topic. I was the only girl on the team, and this was the first time I had ever heard games and feminist critique put into the same sentence. The thought intrigued me...but the reaction from the boys, completely through me off. Since I had no opinion on feminism or any education on feminist philosophy, I simply watched the fiasco from my computer desk.

They were really against having games critiqued from a feminist perspective. And the way they spoke was exactly how you would read the YouTube comments...if Anita had allowed for them to take place. Their spoken thoughts were no different from what you'd find on twitter or tumblr.

to be fair wasn't there a recent bill that would have an impact on games having to do with ratings that a democratic senator was pushing? it didn't pass thankfully but it could have

holy shit

The wackos asking for games to have censorship and better representation aren't going to impact your games in any way. CoD will still be CoD and DC will still be DC. What the crazy social journalists are looking for...simply doesn't exist yet. But when the market grows, so too will the variety of games

but what about game censorship in australia and germany? aren't those relatable and already affecting games?

Nothing. Which is why I said earlier that Ms. Pac-man only has a pink bow because it became necessary (in the creator's eyes) to differentiate it from the already existing character, who was plain because it came first.

If Ms. Pac-man came first I could easily see her being the plain yellow circle and "Mr." Pac-man being the same with a blue fedora or something instead of a pink bow.

But the crux of the criticism -- and I want to again stress that I'm not personally very invested in this particular criticism itself other that to try and elucidate that I understand it -- is that these gender differentiators are unnecessary. If male characters were underrepresented and you wanted to present a male character, you don't need to make a stereotypical male character. If it's possible to establish a gender based solely on a name, it's obviously possible to establish a character of a different gender based solely on a different name, if not minor visual distinctions just to distinguish the characters as different when viewed side by side. I honestly don't see what's so controversial about this line of argumentation, and I while I say that, I'll also make it very clear that I don't think one needs to agree that Ms. Pac-Man is even remotely sexist. I just entered the argument to counter what I thought was an unfair dismissal of a suggestion for Ms. Pac-Man's design.

zeldablue

Ya, discussion is good as long as it doesnt turn into crusades, then it just turns into preaching from one isle to the next, which then encourages intolerance of differing opinions. I think the diversity in games, though, will come once it stops becoming a badge of honor or contention to have said diversity in games. Diversity is needed in this industry, imo, but it needs to come because it wants it otherwise you get placation, and I dont think that helps anyone, other then enforcing stereotypes. I think minorities with level headedness, as you have provided, is much more helpful then any particular advice some try to give. I'll say though, I think the lack of diversity will fix itself with more of the indie push(there is much less risk aversion). The game industry has to get past its own gameplay cliche's, imo, before we can start to see social diversity in games(we barely have mechanical diversity, much less social ones).

I agree...

I think it's a bit too early to expect that sort of change from the AAA titles.

Although I think in general new games are doing more to treat females and minorities in a better light. Playable Peach, Ellie in TLoU, Lee from Walking Dead etc.

Riposte

Bitterness is intrinsically linked to "social awareness" (that is, awareness of victimhood) and how much thought/life is given to it. Not a matter people can touch upon unscathed as it directly plays into ressentiment; not that there is often much agency, since it doesn't take long to be made aware of society's injustices and how they may affect you or the people you care about.

I have many gripes, but the overarching peeve I have is with the attitude of overt pride and self-righteousness that the people involved are expressing. Again, the goal is just. I can’t echo this enough. But I’m not going to pretend everything they did this year had a measurable effect. Or even most things. We managed to get rid of Pinsoff, but it was ages before Kuchera was let go, and that was not the intended goal: Penny Arcade is the monolith of malignant behaviour we’re trying to get rid of. We got rid of the trophy in God of War Ascension, but due to the controversy, Dragon’s Crown sold well over expectations, becoming a sleeper hit.

Haha, okay. How about I defeat you, OP? Pistols at noon. Let's go.

unbias

But the crux of the criticism -- and I want to again stress that I'm not personally very invested in this particular criticism itself other that to try and elucidate that I understand it -- is that these gender differentiators are unnecessary. If male characters were underrepresented and you wanted to present a male character, you don't need to make a stereotypical male character. If it's possible to establish a gender based solely on a name, it's obviously possible to establish a character of a different gender based solely on a different name, if not minor visual distinctions just to distinguish the characters as different when viewed side by side. I honestly don't see what's so controversial about this line of argumentation, and I while I say that, I'll also make it very clear that I don't think one needs to agree that Ms. Pac-Man is even remotely sexist. I just entered the argument to counter what I thought was an unfair dismissal of a suggestion for Ms. Pac-Man's design.

I think that had more to do with marketing then anything else. Selling a game with just a color swap cant be advertised as well as a clearly feminine version of Pac-man. Ms Pac-man stands out and can be advertised in a more identifiable and "comfortable" way if you give it some sterotype that is easily swallowed by the masses. Money drives decisions a lot more then any sort of social awareness, I believe.

zeldablue

holy shit

but what about game censorship in australia and germany? aren't those relatable and already affecting games?
I don't know why Germany and Australia censors so many games. I always thought it was because they really don't like guns and violence like we do.

In America we love violence, but sexualization has always been an issue with us.

I don't like censorship either. But I don't think many journalists have actually censored games.

I'm really just trying to say not to censor or attack journalists in general. By extension I suppose we should try to censor people who try to censor games? I don't know. :/

Just stay open to critique and don't try to silence unpopular opinions I guess.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I agree...

I think it's a bit too early to expect that sort of change from the AAA titles.

Although I think in general new games are doing more to treat females and minorities in a better light. Playable Peach, Ellie in TLoU, Lee from Walking Dead etc.

I agree. And to treat men in a better light too.

What you're saying is true in a perfect world. I'm just saying this is why it happened back in the 80s, which remember had much much less of a filter for this stuff. Also "minor visual distinctions" weren't even realistically possible at the time considering pac man is made up of 20 pixels as big as your fist.

I never thought that you thought the design is straight up sexist or anything. I just think the design stems from subtle ways to differentiate the characters not being possible, and "mr. pac-man" existing first. Throwing a handful of pink pixels on top of the sprite was easy to do and easy for people to understand, so they did it. Have the name be different for two character that are different is just confusing to people, and it's a hard sell to people that your game is new if the character looks exactly the same. If there was every just one "Mr." or "Ms." Pac-man then it would have never been an issue and you'd likely never have seen any gender-identifying features.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly the sexism stuff in general is primarily, for me personally, just part of a larger push to try and make people more aware and more thoughtful about the symbolism and semiotics and politics behind any art, especially one that's as "representative" (as opposed to abstract) as the majority of gaming. Its particularly handy because of areas like female character design form nice stark examples to try and discuss.

Xenon

There was nothing "unfair" about my comments. If anything is unfair, it's people trying to shoe horn controversy into a very simple change to existing character to make a sequel. Yes they used tropes to define the character as female. But I don't see being enough to say the design should be questioned. Saying they could have done a palette swap is not an acceptable alternative.

I don't know why Germany and Australia censors so many games. I always thought it was because they really don't like guns and violence like we do.

In America we love violence, but sexualization has always been an issue with us.

I don't like censorship either. But I don't think many journalists have actually censored games.

I'm really just trying to say not to censor or attack journalists in general. By extension I suppose we should try to censor people who try to censor games? I don't know. :/

i agree. but it doesn't help anyone when you dismiss unpopular opinions just because they come from specific races or gender (and yes that includes white males too).

and i think we still have the choice to critique opinions as long as it's in a productive and sensible manner. you don't have to agree with everyone. likewise, they don't have to agree with you.

in terms of discussion though, the problem can arise because gaming critics have a venue to express their opinions and can have vast effects on the sales of a game or its content. so its only human nature to try to defend that which you are passionate about. so when you have journalist lambasting hideo kojima for quiet before the game is out, and journalists tell people that you are a misogynistic person for enjoying GTAV and then BAN people from the comments session of the article. THAT's a problem.

and the issue with sexism is, at what point do you separate SEXISM and SEXUALITY? we can have mature discussions about it without delving into "you can't show boobs or cleavage or have voluptuous women period". is trying to promote arousal wrong? should ALL games be mature in the psychological sense?

unbias

Honestly the sexism stuff in general is primarily, for me personally, just part of a larger push to try and make people more aware and more thoughtful about the symbolism and semiotics and politics behind any art, especially one that's as "representative" (as opposed to abstract) as the majority of gaming. Its particularly handy because of areas like female character design form nice stark examples to try and discuss.

I agree to an extent, however I think in order to get people to do that, I think this issue needs to be fixed 1st because it, I think, is a large part as to why we don't have more diversity in games.

casabolg

Banned

The whole "censorship" argument has never been literal censorship, even for the case of Dragon's Crown. The term is very misused. The idea is that an audience is trying to say they don't like these elements of a game (sexualization being a big part) and trying to persuade the developers that this isn't wanted, thus stopping them from making the problem thing and focusing on what they think the audience actually wants. Journalists do astroturf a lot on things but so do the complainers on how big the problem is. Feminists and their modern rhetoric are very much unpopular nowadays.

unbias

The whole "censorship" argument has never been literal censorship, even for the case of Dragon's Crown. The term is very misused. The idea is that an audience is trying to say they don't like these elements of a game (sexualization being a big part) and trying to persuade the developers that this isn't wanted, thus stopping them from making the problem thing and focusing on what they think the audience actually wants. Journalists do astroturf a lot on things but so do the complainers on how big the problem is. Feminists and their modern rhetoric are very much unpopular nowadays.

Problem with that is... sex is almost universally wanted; even if people know it is bad for them to constantly be immersed in it, people like it and it helps sell copies(the most important factor). Hell even Pixar does it(obviously they are less obvious about it, but still) because it sells.

Shinta

Banned

I think the most illustrative part of the OP, and the most damning part of it, is that it shows that what you're claiming the goal is, is not what they have in mind. That's not even close to enough for them.

Read this again.

Again, the goal is just. I can’t echo this enough. But I’m not going to pretend everything they did this year had a measurable effect. Or even most things. We managed to get rid of Pinsoff, but it was ages before Kuchera was let go, and that was not the intended goal: Penny Arcade is the monolith of malignant behaviour we’re trying to get rid of. We got rid of the trophy in God of War Ascension, but due to the controversy, Dragon’s Crown sold well over expectations, becoming a sleeper hit.
How do you quantify "awareness and thoughtfulness" into a measurable effect that would satisfy this guy? Both the people he wanted fired apologized, demonstrating increased thoughtfulness and awareness, but that wasn't enough.

You two have very different goals. This guy is looking to remove content from games through self-censorship (God of War Trophy), get people he doesn't like fired, and quickly without any delays (Pinsloff, Kuchera), and financially ruin games he doesn't like through negative PR (Dragon's Crown, his great failure).

The social sciences aren't science. That shouldn't be a controversial statement. There is even an academic pushback against physics envy (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/the-social-sciences-physics-envy.html) for one such article.

How is envy to respond and comment a post that claims that one thing is "far more demanding" than other. I mean, you a right, the term I used at the beginning was wrong, but I was comenting to other person about that other post.

The Technomancer

Problem with that is, sex is almost universally wanted... Even if people know it is bad for them to constantly be immersed in it, people like it and it helps sell copies(the most important factor). Hell even Pixar does it(obviously they are less obvious about it, but still) because it sells.

yeah, and this is where it gets very tricky. This is where my opinions almost certainly start to diverge from a lot of people, but I'm very wary of indulgence, especially de-contextualized indulgence. Some people do believe that it would be a step forward if the industry started featuring more contextless sexualized men as well, I'm not one of them. As a few pieces? Sure. Hell, I've defended Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball before both because its very upfront about what it is and its also not all anyone is making. But I think we can (and often do) aspire higher then just appealing to base power or sex fantasies with our media, and I think games have a bit of catch-up to play

If there's one thing I expect to be disagreed with the most on this kind of topic its probably this.

casabolg

Banned
Problem with that is, sex is almost universally wanted... Even if people know it is bad for them to constantly be immersed in it, people like it and it helps sell copies(the most important factor). Hell even Pixar does it(obviously they are less obvious about it, but still) because it sells.

Tell that to people trying to combat concepts like 'rape culture' and 'modesty'. I wouldn't say it's always sexuality as a whole but rather it's manifestations.

The Technomancer

I think the most illustrative part of the OP, and the most damning part of it, is that it shows that what you're claiming the goal is, is not what they have in mind. That's not even close to enough for them.

Read this again.

How do you quantify "awareness and thoughtfulness" into a measurable effect that would satisfy this guy? Both the people he wanted fired apologized, demonstrating increased thoughtfulness and awareness, but that wasn't enough.

You two have very different goals. This guy is looking to remove content from games through self-censorship (God of War Trophy), get people he doesn't like fired, and quickly without any delays (Pinsloff, Kuchera), and financially ruin games he doesn't like through negative PR (Dragon's Crown, his great failure).

I think, or perhaps hope, that what's going on with the OP is a gradual realization of just how toxic that is. I'll be curious to see what he says tomorrow

unbias

Tell that to people trying to combat concepts like 'rape culture' and 'modesty'. I wouldn't say it's always sexuality as a whole but rather it's manifestations.

Just because people think it is bad and actively preach against it does not mean they dont fall prey to its attractiveness. Sex sells, imo, to even those who think they dont want it or should have it.

zeldablue

Attacking niche games is pretty lame. I haven't played it, and the submissive overly sexualized damsels do...worry me, but it is pretty silly to attack a small Japanese title.

If these girls are getting raped ingame, I'd probably rally beside the dude, since I know girls who have been victimized and laughed at over these types of things, and that makes me sad and a bit more sensitive towards that type of imagery.

But for crying out loud...it's rare that we get unique games from Japan and I think I would have cried if someone censored Catherine. It has a lot of odd things to say about gender roles and sexuality but it at least tries to be fitting and smart about it.

There are a lot of cultural differences too that make it tough...it's important to be fair and understanding about this grayness.

jman2050

My problem is that you want people to be "aware and more thoughtful" of these things, but to what end? If you put a person into a situation where they think about certain social issues, in the context of games or otherwise, maybe even debating with you about it, and their ultimate conclusion is "I don't see a problem, things are just fine the way they are", is it acceptable for you to just leave it at that?

Obviously the question isn't directed at YOU you, I just think that if one believes strongly in a particular ideology then they need to be sure of what their actual goals are. Are they content with just stating their case and trusting that others will see the "right" point of view or are they dead set on convincing others, or else?

I think, or perhaps hope, that what's going on with the OP is a gradual realization of just how toxic that is. I'll be curious to see what he says tomorrow

Well, he seemed to push the DC comments off on others by saying that there are other people that didn't want to see it rewarded because of its designs. But his actual comments in the OP would suggest that he's disappointed with its success just like he's disappointed that PA is still going. He mentions how he (and other) managed to get rid of several people that they didn't like in the industry as well as the GoW:A trophy name, but then seemingly regrets that they couldn't "get rid" of DC and PA.

yeah, and this is where it gets very tricky. This is where my opinions almost certainly start to diverge from a lot of people, but I'm very wary of indulgence, especially de-contextualized indulgence. Some people do believe that it would be a step forward if the industry started featuring more contextless sexualized men as well, I'm not one of them. As a few pieces? Sure. Hell, I've defended Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball before both because its very upfront about what it is and its also not all anyone is making. But I think we can (and often do) aspire higher then just appealing to base power or sex fantasies with our media, and I think games have a bit of catch-up to play

If there's one thing I expect to be disagreed with the most on this kind of topic its probably this.

and this is one my main problems with that statement:

WHY ARE WE TRYING TO ACHIEVE SOME SORT OF MYSTICAL PEDESTAL SET BY MOVIES AND BOOKS?

videogames by their own nature (interactivity) already sets itself apart as a specific medium. To say "we have to do better" alludes to some idea that there SHOULDN'T be works that appeal to base natures.

why can't we have both mature stories (which we do) and stuff that appeals to base nature (which we do)?

and that is the issue i think with games "journalists". they indulge themselves in this industry, they feel they don't get the recognition as movie critics and book critics. So it comes off like they try their hardest to push an agenda in the hopes of artificially mature the medium for some bane acceptance to the fact they play videogames and that other adults wouldn't make fun of them for doing so.

Attacking niche games is pretty lame. I haven't played it, and the submissive overly sexualized damsels do...worry me, but it is pretty silly to attack a small Japanese title.

If these girls are getting raped ingame, I'd probably rally beside the dude, since I know girls who have been victimized and laughed at over these types of things, and that makes me sad and a bit more sensitive towards that type of imagery.

But for crying out loud...it's rare that we get unique games from Japan and I think I would have cried if someone censored Catherine. It has a lot of odd things to say about gender roles and sexuality but it at least tries to be fitting and smart about it.

There are a lot of cultural differences too that make it tough...it's important to be fair and understanding about this grayness.

i want to thank you for recognizing the cultural aspect of some of these arguments.

I've seen people here say "OMG a japanese schoolgirl! ewww bad game" when it's a common trope in japan media. A lot of western gaming critics try to come from a western mindset superiority complex and fail to take note that japanese game developers tend to work on a different mindset. So when a game creator says he makes a character sexy to sell figurines (which is a huge hobby in asian countries) it comes off as some form of gender discrimination.

The Technomancer

My problem is that you want people to be "aware and more thoughtful" of these things, but to what end? If you put a person into a situation where they think about certain social issues, in the context of games or otherwise, maybe even debating with you about it, and their ultimate conclusion is "I don't see a problem, things are just fine the way they are", is it acceptable for you to just leave it at that?

Obviously the question isn't directed at YOU you, I just think that if one believes strongly in a particular ideology then they need to be sure of what their actual goals are. Are they content with just stating their case and trusting that others will see the "right" point of view or are they dead set on convincing others, or else?

Eh, I know you're speaking in general terms, but call the persuasion a secondary goal, at least for me. I'm certainly going to try very hard and get people to actually agree with me because, well, I think my opinion on the matter is worthwhile (who doesn't) but failing at that if we can just push the discussion of video games in a direction that acknowledges that these things can have cultural meaning and can have symbolism both deliberate and incidental, well, I'll take it.

Shinta

Banned
I just think that if one believes strongly in a particular ideology then they need to be sure of what their actual goals are.

This is the #1, single most important question. And without a doubt, it is the question that is avoided at all costs for many social justice writers. The OP is very interesting, in that he actually for once didn't avoid stating what his goals were.

Almost everyone avoids saying it, and goes to great lengths to keep it as vague as possible. Because in reality, many people have goals that line up with the OP, but they are ugly and toxic when you state them out loud. So they shroud them in vagueness and avoid the question.

Every single social justice writer should state their goals along with their criticism. The end goal is the entire point of the criticism.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
WHY ARE WE TRYING TO ACHIEVE SOME SORT OF MYSTICAL PEDESTAL SET BY MOVIES AND BOOKS?

Hmmmmm.

I think first of all, lots of games have always aspired towards movies. Movie visual shorthand is all over games. Not all of those movies are Citizen Kane. CoD seems to aspire towards Michael Bay movies. Not sure they are on a mystical pedestal (unless you count a dude sat on his poop throne).

I think my problem with your statement is that it's so either/or! Are we really trying to sit atop ye mystical pedestal? There are loads of games still being made that are just straight-up games, without any fancy aspirations to being the interactive equivalent of Ulysses. I think it's a good thing that there are some boffins working on games that aspire towards art. It just means there's more variety. It won't stop so-called 'low-brow' (ugh) games being made.

and this is one my main problems with that statement:

videogames by their own nature (interactivity) already sets itself apart as a specific medium. To say "we have to do better" alludes to some idea that there SHOULDN'T be works that appeal to base natures.

why can't we have both mature stories (which we do) and stuff that appeals to base nature (which we do)?

and that is the issue i think with games "journalists". they indulge themselves in this industry, they feel they don't get the recognition as movie critics and book critics. So it comes off like they try their hardest to push an agenda in the hopes of artificially mature the medium for some bane acceptance to the fact they play videogames and that other adults wouldn't make fun of them for doing so.

i want to thank you for recognizing the cultural aspect of some of these arguments.

I've seen people here say "OMG a japanese schoolgirl! ewww bad game" when it's a common trope in japan media. A lot of western gaming critics try to come from a western mindset superiority complex and fail to take note that japanese game developers tend to work on a different mindset. So when a game creator says he makes a character sexy to sell figurines (which is a huge hobby in asian countries) it comes off as some form of gender discrimination.

Part of that is human nature though. people want to contribute to their community. many would say game journalism does't really contribute much to society (LOL) and so it is human nature to find a cause and try to do something meaningful with it.

Hmmmmm.

I think first of all, lots of games have always aspired towards movies. Movie visual shorthand is all over games. Not all of those movies are Citizen Kane. CoD seems to aspire towards Michael Bay movies. Not sure they are on a mystical pedestal (unless you count a dude sat on his poop throne).

I think my problem with your statement is that it's so either/or! Are we really trying to sit atop ye mystical pedestal? There are loads of games still being made that are just straight-up games, without any fancy aspirations to being the interactive equivalent of Ulysses. I think it's a good thing that there are some boffins working on games that aspire towards art. It just means there's more variety. It won't stop so-called 'low-brow' (ugh) games being made.

and nobody is stopping those games from being made. but the "games are not mature like movies/books" statement has been parroted constantly in so many threads and by so many people that it loses its luster as an argument.

i think i speak for everyone when variety is definitely welcome. But the statement above makes it seem like we should only make "Citizen Kanes" and "no Michael Bays" because that's the only way we can mature the medium.

i would Appreciate more "the Last of Us" but i won't deny others their chances at CoDs or hell, even dead or alive: extreme beach volleyball.

The Technomancer

and nobody is stopping those games from being made. but the "games are not mature like movies/books" statement has been parroted constantly in so many threads and by so many people that it loses its luster as an argument.

i think i speak for everyone when variety is definitely welcome. But the statement above makes it seem like we should only make "Citizen Kanes" and "no Michael Bays" because that's the only way we can mature the medium.

i would Appreciate more "the Last of Us" but i won't deny others their chances at CoDs or hell, even dead or alive: extreme beach volleyball.

No, not at all. I know this point gets kind of lost and I'm not really clear on it to be fair, but I'm not even talking about thematic depth or story or anything like that, I was specifically referring to indulgence and power fantasy and sexual fantasy. I'm not saying all games need to be serious or high art or anything like that, I'm saying we should be wary of how much of gaming (primarily, to be fair, the AAA market) skews towards gratuitous fantasy fulfillment.

Top Bottom