• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later - Resident Evil Outbreak 1 & 2 are back online!

Well I'm pumped. I'll be heading to bookoff tomorrow to track down some copies and I'm going to play through both games again. Thanks for this making this topic.

How's the performance with PCSX2 and the game's netplay?

Depends who you ask.

It is not perfect, and it comes with many of its own unique issues. The big issue that occurs and can be semi-frequent or rare depending on the person... is freezing. The emulator will freeze and essentially you are done. You have to reboot the emulator. This can REALLY suck the fun out of the game because you kind of nuke a game, and sometimes this can lose the game for everyone. And sometimes more than one person can freeze as a result.

Some people claim to use a certain version of the emu and are spared the freezes, for the most part, but I think its nonsense and unavoidable.

When our group of beta testers first started, most used and intended emulators as our primary way of playing... by the end of beta testing, most had been converted to PS2. When a large enough percentage of games resulted in freezes or other problems... it was a big deterrent. And some of our beta testers had PCs that could run Crysis on highest settings...it didn't matter, they froze anyways.

Another issue is you will get more frequent disconnections aka "zombie screen".

This is caused by what we believe to be imperfect emulation and desyncing. The network plugins used by the emulators are just not... perfect. It is emulation afterall. Not the real thing. The emu sends erratic and more packets than it is supposed to. And this can cause desyncing between players.

Framerates using the emulator can also be variable. But even with powerful machines, framerates can often fluctuate a bit and go astray from the locked 60 fps of the PS2. This can be annoying. And can also, so we believe, lead to more disconnections and desyncing. Playing offline I could hold 60 fps with 4x res.... online is a completely different story.

SO! While higher resolutions are awesome... variable framerate and some freezing issues honestly sully the experience. At least they did for me and many others.

cvxfreak

I hope to have the time to try this out sometime, but does this work with a Japanese PS3 that has BC?

I was never all that great at the Outbreak games competitively, but it was a pleasure playing together with some truly amazing players who mastered the game's combat quite well.

Lotto

This is pretty awesome. I used to watch my brother play this online and it was great to see him struggle with cooperating with others since there were only preset sayings when playing iirc. Would definitely want to try this out some time myself though, looked like a lot of fun.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I saw this yesterday. I always wanted to try this but no way am I jumping all those hoops.

I'm just glad to live in a world where something this beautiful and fucking crazy can happen. Shine on, you crazy diamonds!

This is pretty awesome. I used to watch my brother play this online and it was great to see him struggle with cooperating with others since there were only preset sayings when playing iirc. Would definitely want to try this out some time myself though, looked like a lot of fun.

The lack of communication just added another element to the desperation. On top of that, you'd sometimes get TKs (Team Killers) who would purposely hold doors shut on you, not help heal you, and would not pick you up when you went down.

Still, there were some great times to be had when this was up. This is so promising, I hope lots of people are able to get this going so we can get the community going again!

RhyDin

When I try to stream using xSplit over PCSX2, I can't log into the server or it hangs. Something with the net plugin messing up with winpcap, I think..can't handle the packet flow when using the adapter.

Streaming works fine on console, though. Using http://www.twitch.tv/zombspawn to stream with xSplit over my real PS2, if you want to take a look at how this handles. Apparently, anyone using an emulator can cause everyone in the party's game to crash, so it's ill advised.

I was really excited until I got to reading the Japanese version only part :(

There's an English patch.

Very cool.

Imagine my disappointment at the time.

I buy two PS2 network adapters, I get a copy of Resident Evil Outbreak, and my friend gets one as well. We bring out PS2s together along with a network cable..

Why the heck can't we play together? Why did it have to be online only?

Was very disappointed in that.

Freak

This is excellent news, shame there's no support for non Japanese versions. But an epic technical feat nonetheless.
The time is right for a ReMake of these classics Capcom or a 3rd installment, seeing the amount of effort they seemed to be putting behind the multiplayer aspects of O. R. C, 6 & Revelations. Even though personally for me the MP in those games missed the point a bit.

Snaku

Banned
I wouldn't trust Capcom to make another Outbreak. They would almost certainly turn it into another Mercenaries-type game, complete with RE6 controls. Piss on that.

I hope to have the time to try this out sometime, but does this work with a Japanese PS3 that has BC?

I was never all that great at the Outbreak games competitively, but it was a pleasure playing together with some truly amazing players who mastered the game's combat quite well.

That should work just fine. Only issue is that you wont be able to use that HDD, unless its a modded PS3. And btw nice guides on gamefaqs over the years :)

so if I have PCSX2 could I play with someone with an actual ps2?

yes.

Also for those wondering... people who are playing using a HDD are also able to play in DVD-ROM games... because they are installing the game and using Open Ps2 Loader, not downloading the game to the harddrive using the traditional old way.

In terms of speed of loading, nothing beats a PS2 HDD with OPL. Emulator loads second fastest, and DVD-Rom playing off disc is obviously the slowest.

yes.

Also for those wondering... people who are playing using a HDD are also able to play in DVD-ROM games... because they are installing the game and using Open Ps2 Loader, not downloading the game to the harddrive using the traditional old way.

In terms of speed of loading, nothing beats a PS2 HDD with OPL. Emulator loads second fastest, and DVD-Rom playing off disc is obviously the slowest.

Where would a PS3 be in the speed rankings? I remember back in the day when the PS3 came out, all the PS2 people were pissed how much faster we loaded!

Also, which game File 1 or 2 is usually more populated? and whats the highest number online you've seen for either?

Where would a PS3 be in the speed rankings? I remember back in the day when the PS3 came out, all the PS2 people were pissed how much faster we loaded!

Also, which game File 1 or 2 is usually more populated? and whats the highest number online you've seen for either?

PS3 would be behind emulator I imagine, if it is streaming the game from the disc.

File 2 is more populated. Well the online lobby counters only count those that are not in-game. I've seen about 20. So I cant really give a number id just be guessing :p

PS3 would be behind emulator I imagine, if it is streaming the game from the disc.

File 2 is more populated. Well the online lobby counters only count those that are not in-game. I've seen about 20. So I cant really give a number id just be guessing :p

Awesome, I hope we can eventually get into 50+ people on at a time. I should be up sometime this week, can't wait to play :D

Oh and I like your avatar! *punches rocks*

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Just played through Wild Things with a random, and it was so much fun. I wish we lived in a world where this got a proper HD port or sequel in today's PSN/XBL world... and had sold better back in the day.

If anyone wants to play together, feel free to post in here or PM me and we'll set something up. I'm on the East Coast if it matters.

Itching to track down a PS2 fat and HDD so I can get them 1 second load times!

Just played through Wild Things with a random, and it was so much fun. I wish we lived in a world where this got a proper HD port or sequel in today's PSN/XBL world... and had sold better back in the day.

If anyone wants to play together, feel free to post in here or PM me and we'll set something up. I'm on the East Coast if it matters.

Itching to track down a PS2 fat and HDD so I can get them 1 second load times!

Sweet we can play later this week when I get my copies! :D

You're hurting my soul. Sshhh.

I knoooow. So many File 3 characters and stuff even on the File 1 disc which is crazy.

Sweet we can play later this week when I get my copies! :D

I knoooow. So many File 3 characters and stuff even on the File 1 disc which is crazy.

I knew there was File 3 content and that the games were split up from what was originally intended to RE Online, but I didn't know how much we were missing. : (

News Bot

Banned
I knew there was File 3 content and that the games were split up from what was originally intended to RE Online, but I didn't know how much we were missing. : (

There was a G-Virus infected pet dog of William Birkin.
And a giant Neptune.
And BIO2 Lickers.
And at least one other Tyrant.
At least 10 other interconnected scenarios.
U.B.C.S. Charlie Team
Encounters with G-Birkin
Nikolai appeared in other scenarios
We saw more of the U.S.S. that HUNK belongs to

Excuse me, I need to cry myself to sleep.

Randam

haha.
there was a thread on gaf a few weeks back, with "what games do you wanr to be able to play online again" or something like that and i said, i would pay a tone of money to play mgs 3 online again and suddenly someone tells me, that the guys from savemgo dont take donations. :D

so after reading up on that, i google for re outbreak servers and found the side in the OP.

i read their tut and downloaded some stuff, but didnt realy try it.

some people from gaf already playing?
on which platform?
i may need some help with the emulator setup.

Randam

Yep, this game was so ahead of its time, it's not even funny.
It's sad, because of how poorly they mismanaged it :(

so true.

how many people even had the network adapter back then?

i got mine for mgs3 online. and shortly after i got it, they already shut outbreak down. -_-

a psn/xbl/steam port would be so awesome and i think realy successful.

I loved the shit out of Oubreak 1&2 and I still do, some of the best games in the series, but I find the loading times unbearable to play anymore. Such a shame as I really love this game. Even just a rerelease with better load times and an "official" online and I would buy in a second.

kunonabi

sucks to here that the emulation route is so spotty. I wonder if i can get my dreamcast wireless connedtion to work on the ps2

Jinroh

I loved the shit out of Oubreak 1&2 and I still do, some of the best games in the series, but I find the loading times unbearable to play anymore. Such a shame as I really love this game. Even just a rerelease with better load times and an "official" online and I would buy in a second.
I would advise you to softmod your PS2 and install the games on the harddrive. Shorter loading times changes the whole experience.

sucks to here that the emulation route is so spotty. I wonder if i can get my dreamcast wireless connedtion to work on the ps2

Yeah... I can't stress enough just how much better a PS2 is. Some people have it "meh", and many have it really bad. You also feel awful for freezing and hurting your teammates games.

HDD and OPL... ~3 seconds load times for everything. Pretty awesome.

Randam

would it work with a pal ps2?
what would i have to do/get?

but first, i will try emulating.
hope someone give me a hand with that.

I'm so surprised that Capcom has not repackaged these two titles in an HD port and released them to Xbox Live And PlayStation Network. It would be fairly popular based on the name alone, as well as having four player co-op. Not to mention, revenue for Capcom. There are so many people I know what would purchase these titles. The games were released way ahead of their time. If they were released a few years ago, they would probably still be making them. Sad that you have to go through so much just to play online.

I agreed, struck on DVD-Rom setting is excruciating. Although you could install to the HDD, made it pretty fast. Those owning it on disc and playing on emulator seem to love the speeds.

I'm so surprised that Capcom has not repackaged these two titles in an HD port and released them to Xbox Live And PlayStation Network. It would be fairly popular based on the name alone, as well as having four player co-op. Not to mention, revenue for Capcom. There are so many people I know what would purchase these titles. The games were released way ahead of their time. If they were released a few years ago, they would probably still be making them. Sad that you have to go through so much just to play online.

Hopefully this project is the kick in the pants they need to get going on this.

It would not. Unless its a modded PS2 or you use swapmagic, something to bypass region lock. Unfortunately I can't really give much help in this department but on the server forums there are plenty of experts.

so how much(if any at all) english is in the japanese versions of these games?

All voice acting is English. All voice commands come out in English. All text minus a bit here or there, would be Japanese.

Randam

It would not. Unless its a modded PS2 or you use swapmagic, something to bypass region lock. Unfortunately I can't really give much help in this department but on the server forums there are plenty of experts.

All voice acting is English. All voice commands come out in English. All text minus a bit here or there, would be Japanese.

would that all be software modding?

and there is an englisch patch that works just fine!?

halfbeast

Banned

I've seen a memory card with the region-free-chip in it, some time ago. I can't say how well it works, but it definitely be more convenient than swap magic or modding the console.

I just ordered everything I need to play this online. It needs to get here FAST. God I cannot wait. If anyone plans on playing, please let me know. Players will most definitely be limited.

There was a G-Virus infected pet dog of William Birkin.
And a giant Neptune.
And BIO2 Lickers.
And at least one other Tyrant.
At least 10 other interconnected scenarios.
U.B.C.S. Charlie Team
Encounters with G-Birkin
Nikolai appeared in other scenarios
We saw more of the U.S.S. that HUNK belongs to

Excuse me, I need to cry myself to sleep.

: (

No words.

Outbreak was released prematurely, shit would be so cash today on Steam.

Painfully true.

Top Bottom