• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later - Resident Evil Outbreak 1 & 2 are back online!

Let's stick to File 1 then. I don't mind if we're not familiar with the scenarios, I don't know any of the File 1 scenarios myself besides Outbreak N/H. It's a learning process, and it's fun when we're not all just following the leader. I'll go idle in the File 1 lobby now and wait for you two to show up.

Below Freezing Point then?

I'm Lee online, what's yours?

Let's stick to File 1 then. I don't mind if we're not familiar with the scenarios, I don't know any of the File 1 scenarios myself besides Outbreak N/H. It's a learning process, and it's fun when we're not all just following the leader. I'll go idle in the File 1 lobby now and wait for you two to show up.

EDIT: ID is PHOFDZ, and my handle is シェリー

Yay we did it!

We were all very polite too. hehe. Fun stuff

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
That was a pretty good run. It was so much easier with 4 of us, haha. Green and I were getting mauled to death by the horde during the part where you're supposed to shoot out the gate.

EDIT: Green, did you run into a problem? Or are you done? We're waiting in the Below Freezing Point room.

That was a pretty good run. It was so much easier with 4 of us, haha. Green and I were getting mauled to death by the horde during the part where you're supposed to shoot out the gate.

EDIT: Green, did you run into a problem? Or are you done? We're waiting in the Below Freezing Point room.

Yep, having a Cindy helps a lot too, I was trying my best to keep you guys healed!

Looks like some of us are playing off DVD-Rom and some have it installed to the HDD.

Now time to see if I remember any of BFF...

Looks like I remembered more of BFP than i thought! haha.

First BFP in 7 years. Man, it's just crazy. So happy we're back up.

GG Kyouji, Dopey and Green. You guys did well

Looks like I remembered more of BFP than i thought! haha.

First BFP in 7 years. Man, it's just crazy. So happy we're back up.

GG Kyouji and Green. You guys did well

haha I was so confused. That level is pretty big and I realized too late the center room/passcode room just keep spawning zombies so do NOT stay there when you're lost lol

Kyouji

Well, that was quite fun. Thanks for leading me around, TheBatman, I was hella lost, haha. Good times all around thanks to Green and TheB. We'll have to do this again soon, and try some File 2 once Green gets it.

Kyouji

I can play tonight as well. Anyone else want to join TheBatman and myself?

Is there enough interest for a GAF Outbreak Steam group or IRC channel?

I can play tonight as well. Anyone else want to join TheBatman and myself?

Is there enough interest for a GAF Outbreak Steam group or IRC channel?

Up until now, I had added a few others I'd played outbreak with on Skype as I'm playing on my PS2, and just use my phone to IM if we need to send messages.

Although there seem to be quite a few others on here that's in the process of getting Outbreak up again, so either of those would be viable.

Kyouji

I'll be around for the next 3-4 hours if you guys want to play.

I'd like to get a round of votes from active folks before deciding on Steam or IRC.

I'll be on here shortly.

I like your new choice of avatar :)

I just wanted to fit in :) That and I just started playing the game. Seems decent so far.

I'll be around for the next 3-4 hours if you guys want to play.

I'd like to get a round of votes from active folks before deciding on Steam or IRC.

I'll log on now. I'd prefer steam I guess but I'll get IRC if thats what people want.

Edit: Waiting in the lobby.

Kyouji

Green, did you DC from that game? Also, wow things went to hell real fast when that Mark lagged behind in the Liquor Room.

EDIT: And Lee, are you on/in a game yet?

EDIT2: Maybe Green ran into internet problems. I'm gonna go mess around in File 2 SP, if either of you want to play/get on, let me know here.

Mind sharing what you needed to purchase to play online? Thanks

I purchased a Japanese version of the game from Amazon. Most ship from Japan just because its a Japanese game. I was lucky enough to get one that shipped from Maryland. Most say they ship and will arrive i 2-4 weeks... kinda long. Ebay was the same deal. Most are 15-20 bucks. Next you need a Network adapter. Those are like 5 dollars... cheap. This is just if you have a fat model PS2. Finally you need what they call a swap disc set and a tool that pulls the disc tray out and lets you switch discs. Keep in mind this is for a fat PS2. It is easier to modify them I guess. Not sure what you do for a slim.

Here are links:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P50NOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P4WQRW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000051QDD/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MNXDM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Green, did you DC from that game? Also, wow things went to hell real fast when that Mark lagged behind in the Liquor Room.

EDIT: And Lee, are you on/in a game yet?

EDIT2: Maybe Green ran into internet problems. I'm gonna go mess around in File 2 SP, if either of you want to play/get on, let me know here.

Hey I DC'd from that game. I joined another Outbreak room. I'm still on File 1 right now.

Edit: Lee and I are both in the lobby. File 1.

Kyouji

I found the red jewel in room 306, which you unlock with a Silver Key from another room. I was trying to get you guys to meet me in the Security Room to move on, but I found your dead body on the 3rd floor, Green. RIP.

I found the red jewel in room 306, which you unlock with a Silver Key from another room. I was trying to get you guys to meet me in the Security Room to move on, but I found your dead body on the 3rd floor, Green. RIP.

Haha I had no idea what to put that in bust so I just ran around until I died. I thought I was following you but lost you at some point. I used the silver key too but didn't see any jewels in that area.

Well, I'm having issues. I get the game to load, it takes me to the italicized NOW LOADING screen, then the screen just goes blank. Any ideas?

Snaku

Banned
I want to play this, but I just can't pull the trigger on buying a copy, a PS2, and all the necessary crap I'd have to do to get it set up. Ugh.

I want to play this, but I just can't pull the trigger on buying a copy, a PS2, and all the necessary crap I'd have to do to get it set up. Ugh.

How much did you play Outbreak back in it's hayday? It's pretty amazing it being back, and just as fun as it was before. Although we still get the odd disconnects and stuff that were present back then.

I'm JST so I think I'll only be able to play on the weekends. 13 hour difference with me and EST.

No problems. I'm always up god-awfully late, so who knows, might catch ya on a week day.

Kyouji and I played Showdowns 2 and 3 today. Was teaching him the inner workings and strategy for these!

Have you ordered File 2 yet? It's so much fun, I hope you can get it soon :D

We need to do Decisions Decisions soon for File 1 next time we play.

This is also an invitation to anyone else here on GAF! We'd love to play with more of you. My user name is JinKazama and in game name is Lee.

No problems. I'm always up god-awfully late, so who knows, might catch ya on a week day.

Kyouji and I played Showdowns 2 and 3 today. Was teaching him the inner workings and strategy for these!

Have you ordered File 2 yet? It's so much fun, I hope you can get it soon :D

We need to do Decisions Decisions soon for File 1 next time we play.

This is also an invitation to anyone else here on GAF! We'd love to play with more of you. My user name is JinKazama and in game name is Lee.

I definitely plan on getting it I'm just cheap. I got the first one for $5 and was trying to get the 2nd for the same haha. I'm going to see if I can just grab a copy tomorrow. Ive never played any of file 2 before so I'm looking forward to it. Was pretty heartbroken when I realized I'd never be able to play it online. Glad I was wrong.

Kyouji

Really looking forward to playing File 2 with you, Green. I really like the batch of scenarios in it, and the faster loading time compared to File 1 is a godsend. You might also like the Showdown extra stages in File 2...

We do have to finish the rest of File 1 though!
On Very Hard.

RhyDin

i meant the video of current server,sorry for not being specific.
thanks btw.

I recorded some footage here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELzOtf1ozcU

File #2, gameplay was taken from an NTSC Playstation 2 using the 62% patch. The 100% patch is a big buggy and can cause random crashes, but I've switched to it in the meantime.

I'd add ya'll, but I dunno how to navigate that Japanese lobby screen to add players.

For the person that was getting stuck on the Loading screen, I assume you're on an emulator. This is usually attributed to not having properly set a static IP and custom DNS in the PS2 network configuration. You MUST specify a local IP that will be different from the one your computer uses (seems a bit weird, but that's how it is).

Really looking forward to playing File 2 with you, Green. I really like the batch of scenarios in it, and the faster loading time compared to File 1 is a godsend. You might also like the Showdown extra stages in File 2...

We do have to finish the rest of File 1 though!
On Very Hard.

Hopefully I'll get it tonight and we can have the dream team assembled on File 2 :) That being said maybe we should clear File 1 first because if I get a taste of those faster loading times I may never want to go back!

It was great to finally play with you, Absolution!

We destroyed that Showdown 3!

I saw the game was made, and I was going to pick David, and as I tried, you had joined as David. lol. Anyway, I thought I'd try a Kevin type in Karl, and it seems I remembered how to use him well in Showdown.

Sucks the Kevin we were playing with seemed to have gotten disconnected, but we still did great. We absolutely destroyed Nyx, so many knifes. Was a beautiful thing to behold :D

Anyway, hope to do it again soon. Maybe you could do another one with Kyouji and I soon!

GG Lee :) And you have a very fast HDD! (Both myself and Freak do as well)

Hah, and i thought i did poorly that SD3 :p

Yeah, you guys wouldn't help with the Lion :(

lol, nah, I guess that was Kevins job. That was my first time playing online with a Kevin type in Outbreak in years, I guess I did pretty good, yes? We destroyed the Mr X's. Even toyed around with them by cutting them.

Also Freak, does he always play like that? lol. I mean, he helped some, but spamming Help gets annoying with that wacky character voice. xD

Yeah it took me a while to figure out how to get it on my HDD and for it to start properly, but totally worth it!

Cajun

Neo Member
Even though I doubt I'll take the trouble to set this up (I've played far more than my fair share. On OG USA servers you may have seen me "FLCLrules"), the fact that this has been brought back from the dead seriously brings a tear to my eye. Easily the most unique online experience I've ever played, and we'll never see anything like it again.

My stories from both games are endless. While most people will say the lack of communication broke this game, the situations you sometimes ended up in because of it will stick with you for a lifetime. Every time you loaded up a fresh game of VH (the true difficulty of Outbreak) "Decisions, Decisions" with a group of randoms, and the 4th person didn't show up with their key item, the tension would slowly build (as you're shoulder charging a locked door of course), but you KNEW something either terrifying or hilarious would soon occur.

And anyone who says the lack of communication was unintentional: play "Flashback" on REO2. As far as I can tell, the axeman is there specifically to separate a less coordinated group (and once again, as you're spamming "come on" to that one douchebag that refuses to shoulder charge the door with the rest of your group, everyone begins to wonder if your 4th got out of that room with only one exit the axeman chased them into.)

True genius, Capcom. We used to love you.

Kyouji

File #2, gameplay was taken from an NTSC Playstation 2 using the 62% patch. The 100% patch is a big buggy and can cause random crashes, but I've switched to it in the meantime.

You should PM Silent Hell on the obsrv forums for non-crashy 100% patches for both File 1 & 2.

I'd add ya'll, but I dunno how to navigate that Japanese lobby screen to add players.

You need a person's ID (different from HN/handlename) code, then send them a message. They will be able to add you, and once they respond with something, you will also have the option to add them to your friend list.

How's the performance for both the games with PCSX2? Might get a couple of friends together to play this but neither have HDDs for their PS2.

Yeah, you guys wouldn't help with the Lion :(

lol, nah, I guess that was Kevins job. That was my first time playing online with a Kevin type in Outbreak in years, I guess I did pretty good, yes? We destroyed the Mr X's. Even toyed around with them by cutting them.

Also Freak, does he always play like that? lol. I mean, he helped some, but spamming Help gets annoying with that wacky character voice. xD

Yeah it took me a while to figure out how to get it on my HDD and for it to start properly, but totally worth it!

Hah, yeah sorry about lion.. all i had was knife and i was not about to attempt and fail on that boss. And yeah Kevin was... not up to par lol. He really did need to use his HG bullets and his stuff. :/

No Freak rarely spams anything I dont know why he was lol. Hes really a great guy and good teammate and one of the best players of all time imo, sorry for that spam overload hah.

How's the performance for both the games with PCSX2? Might get a couple of friends together to play this but neither have HDDs for their PS2.

Variable... Framerate rarely stays put in online mode at 60fps. I swear slowdown is just inevitable in some spots of the game. Then you have the bugs/glitches to contend with... most threads on emu forum are about these.

----------------------------

And FYI to anyone who does play, the server does have some ground rules... like obviously no cheating or team killing allowed. You can teamkill in the friendly fire/panic areas, I am pretty sure! but other than that it is prohibited... you can get banned. Please do not.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Thread title made me say "WHAT?!" out loud.

I really need to build a new PC.

I'm more interested in this for File 1, because the PAL version wasn't online.

I'm going to BookOff tomorrow night to look for File 2 and then I can play over the weekend :)

Great news! Can't wait to play with ya again man. I took tonight off to recharge a bit and try to learn the scenarios better. Of course, you can do some showdowns with us as well, lots of fun and Kyouji's taken a liking to them as well.

Top Bottom