• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Leks

I am surprised to see Rod Furgusson working again in Gears of War.

Great move by Microsoft by the way, I hope a lot of fresh ideas with a new studio, Judgment literraly burried the franchise.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They might as well buy it, they've already paid to keep it exclusive. It'll be interesting to see if Black Tusk can do anything with the franchise since the last non Epic Gears title didn't do so well.. Does this franchise have legs?

Persona7

Banned
I am thinking they will probably do a trilogy re-release soonish and then a new entry later in the generation after they finish the game they are already working on.

I am wondering what they do with the world of Gears of War. Do they continue to make 3rd person cover based shooters, or do something insane like a 3rd person action game?

Endo Punk

Good move but I don't want this gen to be defined by franchises from last gen. Eventaully I'd like Uncharted, Gear, AC, Battlefield and COD to F'off.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This makes me feel a bit cynical. Halo is a bought IP that Microsoft has continued to develop in-house. Now they buy Gears of War and are now developing it in-house. It feels like with all the talent they have in these studios they don't need to buy the framework.

But, I am hoping it'll be good. The series have always been something that other games need to learn a trick or two from so here's hoping the talent at Black Tusk can make this their own.

bidguy

Banned
Jesus that is COMPLETELY disappointing if that pans out. I was hoping we'd get new games going forward... something to make me go multi-console again.

Oh well.

that seems weird because cboat actually saw the game ? could it be possible that he didnt know that its gears ?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I didn't play Judgement, but am very interested in seeing where a new team can take the game. Hopefully they try some new stuff with the setting and franchise, but I'm certainly interested.

RedSwirl

Just don't fuck up horde mode okay?

And as for the story, the Gears trilogy takes place at the tail-end of a 15-year war. There's plenty of room.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I ain't even mad. Good for Microsoft. But like Halo: Not worth buying a console over.

Work on a new IP or bring back Phantom Dust with free online play for that title. Otherwise I can't really give a damn.

McHuj

Good move by MS. Increases the chance of buying a X1 by me.

Didn't play Judgment, but at that point I was a little burnt out on Gears, but I'd be interested in a reboot in 2 years or so.

Xater

How long until Microsoft buys the Titanfall franchise from EA/Respawn?

They would have to buy it from Respawn. Also these guys are smart and probably want it to be a big franchise to sell on everything. Selling it would be a dumb decision.

Jawmuncher

Definitely glad MS bought the rights to Gears of War makes a lot of sense on all fronts.
Hopefully they have some new ideas rather than another prequel though.

Any idea if Black Tusk is a multi team Studio ?
Any chance for the other team to be working on a new IP ?
I'm dissapointed with this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
phil spencer previously

"I think that franchise would need to be… not be reworked but think about how to expand that universe and what people are doing. Maybe make it more gritty, I don't know. You'd want to do something with it, because I think it ran its course on 360. And it was a great success on the 360, but it doesn't quite have the story arc of a thing like Halo or something, at least the way it's played out in the games."

sounds good and i like that he specifically notes it ran its course on 360, i agree. a reboot could work

Loved Gears 1 and Gears 2 MP - didn't finish G2 SP, didn't touch Gears 3 or Judgement.

BUT

I'm still pleased that Rod's back and I can expect more Gears - stoked :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good pick up for MS.

Probably been asked already but they're still doing the new IP as well, right? Gears is probably a ways off then.

Well I certainly don't care as much about the franchise though 3 was excellent. Didn't play judgment. Gears is iconic on Xbox now I don't see any problem with this.

EL CUCO

nooorn.gif

How long has Black Tusk been formed?

I can't imagine Microsoft would have had them working on a Gears of War game in anticipation of this deal. If this deal would have fallen out that would been an enormous waste of money.

I def think Black Tusk is working on another game.

Good news. They already have their new shit like Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Quantum Break and older stuff like Gears of War and Halo will round things off nicely. If Uncharted is getting another game, I think Gears should get one too. I really wanted at least one more Gears multiplayer experience on the new Xbox to fill that 3rd person shooter void so I'm content now. Hopefully they're careful not to release another Judgement though.

Gears and God of War both are at the same point for me now, I liked them but not enough for a new chapter unless it's something new. As someone who really isn't into multiplayer I am looking forward to seeing what the can do with campaign now. It might be interesting to have a game set at the very start of the invasion.

it was a matter of time. Gears of War IP was born on XBOX 360 with MS funding it (and helping developing it), so it makes sense MS ended up buying the ip

btw, iirc, Black Tusk has been already working on a different project for quite some time, actually a teaser was shown last E3. plus CBOAT talked about the Black Tusk in-development game some months back.

hohoXD123

Probably never, because Respawn owns the IP and not EA. And they seemingly want the franchise to be on the PS4 in the future.

How was EA seemingly able to negotiate a deal for Titanfall 1 behind Respawn's back if they didn't own the IP?

Good for MS tbh, if Black Tusk can take the franchise in a different direction without having to cancel their new IP, I don't really see a problem with it.

Top Bottom