• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4 |OT| - Thunderblocks are go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically yes, I also look for interesting techniques using new parts. I rarely buy bulk parts unless I have seen them used in a set first.

I usually buy sets I want to build, or ones I know have really useful parts for MOCs. But I will still build everything because I never know if there is some interesting new technique to learn to use later in a MOC.

Every set has something to learn from, and a lot of times it is a surprise for me that I never notice or is hidden while looking at the box.

happypup

I usually buy sets I want to build, or ones I know have really useful parts for MOCs. But I will still build everything because I never know if there is some interesting new technique to learn to use later in a MOC.

Every set has something to learn from, and a lot of times it is a surprise for me that I never notice or is hidden while looking at the box.

Oh don't get me wrong, I go through the instructions pretty closely and will build parts that are interesting to me. But It takes a really great set for me to build the whole thing.

edit: The best thing for me was when lego started including the digital instructions for their sets online. I can basically build sets in my head, then decide if I wan't the set or just some of the pieces from it.

mrkgoo

My so's preliminary entry.

An owl‽ ;)

Haha, cool! I actually have a preliminary, but I need to take some photos of it.

I'm going to also suggest that we refrain from quoting images (remove the image and lea the URL if you wish), just to keep things tidy and clear.

Then again, there will probably be a consolidation post once we're all done, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Where can we post general discussion and ideas? Should we do that in the regular Lego thread?

Haha, cool! I actually have a preliminary, but I need to take some photos of it.

I'm going to also suggest that we refrain from quoting images (remove the image and lea the URL if you wish), just to keep things tidy and clear.

Then again, there will probably be a consolidation post once we're all done, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Where can we post general discussion and ideas? Should we do that in the regular Lego thread?

this is the place for discussion and entries and preliminaries and anything else.
I will collect all the entries in the OT as always.

My so's preliminary entry.

An owl‽ ;)

It looks like a murderous, skinned Furby. I love it!

LEGO Heaven continues to live up to its name.

It really does. It's actually gotten to the point where I'm a bit worried of its future. All direct sets are marked up modestly ($20 for the most part) but it's enough that I'd prefer to buy them from the LEGO store. Coupled with that their agreement with LEGO precludes them from offering an incentive/loyalty program which further drives people to the official outlets.

Their collection of older sets, polys, custom stuff etc. is really where they shine. I was admiring their "shelf of architecture" where they still have every set from the theme for sale. I wasn't aware that the Sears tower had been released so many times!

A City Divided

fXc21G3.jpg

My kids had no idea what the fuck it was. They are my litmus test of sorts, so this is not an entry! I also didn't use as many parts as I wanted. Still, it was a great test build for me. I did another test that I'm not showing yet because I may refine it and use it.

mrkgoo

A City Divided

My kids had no idea what the fuck it was. They are my litmus test of sorts, so this is not an entry! I also didn't use as many parts as I wanted. Still, it was a great test build for me. I did another test that I'm not showing yet because I may refine it and use it.

At first glance I thought it was just something trying to be 'clever' and different, but on closer inspection, it's actually pretty cool. I really like little dioramas, and I never really considered doing something like that with a limited set... cool.

The colour theme is nice!

mrkgoo

Changing my entry for now.

I just thought my Exotic Insect was simply more interesting and creative. It didn't use as many wild techniques, but it's still a model I'm proud of. My goal was to create models that were actually stable and solid - actually well made, not necessarily original. It will probably be my criteria for voting as well.

Also decided to go with the white, shorter front legs, rather than longer blue.

Anyway, still up in the air, but for now (I need to go dig out my spare parts image later):

Remaining parts:

Original Post said:
Anyway, I guess sort of a preliminary try.

I built the jet, and it was ok. Tried a few things, not knowing what to build, but seeing the mechanical arms and always wanting to see them used as fingers in person, I decided I'd try a mech-thing.

Started off just trying a few things and 'molding' it - that is adding pieces, sort of sculpting it out, then dismantling and trying things to get what I wanted. Ended up with a sort of ED-209 style thing.

Surprised myself at how many ways there are to build things studs-not-on-top.

Got to the legs last, and thought I had few pieces to make them look good, but actually they bulked up quite well, and ended up being my favourite part!

Overall:
IMG1

Top:
IMG2

Back:
(I had trouble initially, but really liked how it ended up, with a gentle slope and angling down towards the waist as well)
IMG3

Another overall shot:
IMG4

And my leftovers:
IMG5

I want to try some other things with the set (that's the most fun! I don't want to stop here!), but I'm pretty pleased with my first go, and want to build it in LDD so I can remember how to come back to it.

edit: got it done in LDD:

LDD

mrkgoo

that is awesome! Way to set the bar high!

This is why I know I'm no good at this sort of thing. It's bloody hard on the digital designer to get anywhere, but this is beautiful.

Welp, I'm boned....

That's super awesome though, how long did that take?

I hope you submit that to Rebrickable.

PRELIMINARY?

Thanks for the comments!

I haven't played with LDD that much, but it sure is fun. It even simulates hunting around for pieces, because damn info can figure out their organisation scheme!

I had to substitute one of those brackets with studs on the side 1x2 (light grey) for a 2x2 because I couldn't find it.

The model took maybe a couple hours of messing about?

FliXfantatier: what's rebrickable?

As for "preliminary", I quite like this model, so I may just stick with this, but I definitely want to play more... Lego is endless fun, I don't want to stop here!

Edit: looked up rebrickable. Wow! A site dedicated to models from particular sets! Bookmarked! I'm going to love doing some of those...

mrkgoo

What are the rules on discussing alternate builds? Not until over?

I've been messing about with another idea.

I say no posting of alternates here until it is all over. That way there is no confusing models together for the voting pool. If there are alternates that you are not submitting, I would say put it in the normal LEGO thread.
Just my take on it.

neonglow

I just purchased this set the other day. I finished building the jet and it's amazing how the designer made the angles of the wing.

I say no posting of alternates here until it is all over. That way there is no confusing models together for the voting pool. If there are alternates that you are not submitting, I would say put it in the normal LEGO thread.
Just my take on it.

I am of two minds....I initially agreed with you completely, but the fact is that Flix is going to round up the official submissions after the contest closes. I agree that WIP posts muddy the water but they also may provide inspiration.

Not sure where I stand on it...

I am of two minds....I initially agreed with you completely, but the fact is that Flix is going to round up the official submissions after the contest closes. I agree that WIP posts muddy the water but they also may provide inspiration.

Not sure where I stand on it...

I agree, but by posting WIP stuff that also influences voting later. Kinda like "Eh, I liked the other one more."

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE seeing alt builds and WIP stuff. It is inspiring to see what people come up with.

mrkgoo

I agree, but by posting WIP stuff that also influences voting later. Kinda like "Eh, I liked the other one more."

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE seeing alt builds and WIP stuff. It is inspiring to see what people come up with.

My mind is to keep the thread clean and post only official submissions. If only just to make whoever collates them at the end have an easier job!

That said, I do like to keep it democratic and simple. That is, if people want to vote down on one model just because another alternative build was better, then so be it.

My main problem with voting is if one person posts a LOT of images (like of alternative builds or alternative angles etc), that is like an unfair advantage by providing so much exposure as opposed to just 5 images. Not just of a model but also a poster.

But eh, I'll post some images in the main thread just from a MOC perspective. After bulldog my second model, I was inspired by an idea for a third! But first to get my second up.

massoluk

Banned
I tried to make a some transformable robot, don't think it ended up very well... But this is probably my last entry, I'm too busy now to do any more revision. At least it can make a standing pose.

Let's call it Valkyrie Zeta

edit: I ended up making revision in the end after all
edit 2: have more free time than I thought, last last last revision, promise. The robot is much more sturdy now.
edit 3: Alright, this is it. No more, I'm done. Move a lot of pieces around to make plane looks like a plane and make everything more sturdy, no more loose pieces.
mRQ0tDT.jpg
oeb9tpl.jpg

o0UM17X.jpg
oQLxUvn.jpg

Leftovers, display stand, and Gerwalk mode
vYrE3Nr.jpg

mrkgoo

I tried to make a some transformable robot, don't think it ended up very well... But this is probably my last entry, I'm too busy now to do any more revision. At least it can make a standing pose.

Let's call it Valkyrie Zeta

That's really cool! I actually paused trying to figure out how it transformed. Nice job!

Anyway, I guess sort of a preliminary try.

I want to try some other things with the set (that's the most fun! I don't want to stop here!), but I'm pretty pleased with my first go, and want to build it in LDD so I can remember how to come back to it.

edit: got it done in LDD:

Nice MOC and very nice shots. You took those with a very nice camera and lens methinks.

How long did it take you to make it in LDD?

mrkgoo

Nice MOC and very nice shots. You took those with a very nice camera and lens methinks.

How long did it take you to make it in LDD?

Some were taken with my dSLR (just a 50mm), the first one was taken with my iPhone. I'm just too lazy to pull out my soft light box, lights, and macro lens these days....

As for LDD, probably 1-2 hours. Maybe 1.5.

It really is like building ti for real, because the pieces are organised randomly, and it's like hunting for them in a big box!

I've got some alternatives that aren't mechs, that I've posted in the main lego thread. Not sure what I'll go for at this stage.

Oh, really great model too! I like how it's really looking at the pieces and deciding what to make from them. What's with the ring in your leftover pieces?

Oh, really great model too! I like how it's really looking at the pieces and deciding what to make from them. What's with the ring in your leftover pieces?

Oh, I was going to pile up the leftover pieces or something and try to make a nest. I said, eff it, I'm done and put all the pieces back in the box.

Martheron

12244893853_5057391cff_c.jpg
12245143254_2a0ba60f8d_c.jpg
12245142954_a0769de78b_c.jpg
12244715335_602c66651a_c.jpg
12244714765_db90387107_c.jpg

Nothing at all like what you guys can make I'm sure but I enjoy him a lot! Hope you think he's at least a nifty little guy.

Ponn

Banned
I give you the S.H.A.R.C. (Submersible Hover Aeronautical Recon Combat) Vehicle.

Yes it's a mechanical shark craft.

Sleek slipstream mode with tail fin rotated 180 degrees.

It's "Fins" fold in, turn 360 degrees and extend fully for extreme mobility in air and underwater. The tail fin also turns full 360 degrees and can move up and down depending on underwater or in air.

It's mouth opens up to for capture or retrieval and the "Dorsal Fin" extends for radar scanning, periscope and shielding.

Most importantly though IT'S A MECHANICAL SHARK WITH A BIG FREAKING LASER CANNON ATTACHED TO ITS HEAD!!

And it swooshes

Leftover pieces.

I was actually working all morning on trying to build Thundercracker from Transformers but it just didn't look right. I had the torso looking good with the cockpit and the nose cone on the back and even had the thrusters and feet looking good but absolutely nothing else was coming together so I decided to just scrap it.

I saw this thread the other day and since I love Lego...

COBRABOT!
Now, I know what you're thinking:
"Paper Sparrow, why the heck did you build a deformed snake thing with wheels and an impractical laser cannon on its back?"
Well, I ask you: WHY NOT!?

He's adorable! Traveling Skyrim with that classy smile!

About to eat a boat! RAWR! (Hiiisss?)

Pieces left over because they weren't good enough to be part of Cobrabot!

"You were trying to make a cobra and messed up, huh?"
Pffft, ha... :(

Also, I wanted to say that I had no idea LegoGAF was so talented. Awesome work guys!

Ouuh; I just barely noticed a mention of this contest in the LEGO thread. So easy to miss, even if I'm constantly reading the LEGO thread. Will get the set soon! :)

Good job on the entries so far!

ghostmind

Ouuh; I just barely noticed a mention of this contest in the LEGO thread. So easy to miss, even if I'm constantly reading the LEGO thread. Will get the set soon! :)

Good job on the entries so far!

:Motorbass is the previous contest's winner - it is on now.

And my leftovers:

This is great and a perfect example of why I stay out of this thread till I am done with mine as I don't want to pick up ideas form others.

More interesting to me is that you have parts in your left overs which I do not and did not use but I now remember being in the set. I am thinking I broke the model down as the mech so the wings were already in my "Lego to sort box"..... Might have to revisit my entry tomorrow.

Now I need to take some pics too, it's too dark here now (and I have to be up at 0600 while it's 0025 already) but I am happy with my take on a GARC racer.

Just looked at the rest of the submissions, all very good. Anyone arty/designy enough to make some kind of poster or something once done? I recall they do similar for the NNovvember vipers contest.

Based on my love for Sci-Fi and inspired by the possible return of the Classic Space Theme (wishful thinking there) i decided to create the: "Deep Space Defender" and accompanying satellite vessels.

The DSD with a medical Frigate on the right and a light scouting craft for support on the left

A heavy "Redeemer class" cruiser, the DSD packs every necessary element for planetary and territorial protection, the front features 2 tusk style sensor arrays. After that you can see the tactical deck with 2 phaser cannons for limited/light offensive capabilities. To the sides you have asymmetric heavy ion cannons which pack quite a punch and can be fully rotated outwards for increased accuracy (can't show the feature because of pic limit) Toward the rear you can spot some debris vents and the command deck.

The rear sports two state of the art FTL drives and an impulse drive below.

The 2 support ships, a G34 medical frigate with a cloaking generator on top (patented precision stud posing technique lol) and a nimble but effective type-A scout ship with limited offensive capabilities

and the leftover pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom