• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie via IGN: "Nintendo Will Support 3DS Beyond 2018"

Josh5890

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/15/e3-2017-nintendo-will-support-3ds-beyond-2018

In an interview with IGN at E3, Nintendo of America President and Chief Officer Reggie Fils-Aime said Nintendo plans to support the Nintendo 3DS past 2018.

"The way we continue to make Nintendo 3DS vibrant as a platform is first we continue to innovate from form factor standpoint," Fils-Aime said. "So the New 2DS XL is just the latest for us in having form factor innovation. We know colors are a key differentiator, consumers love the variety of different colors. And also the larger screen and the different form factor in the 2DS family, we think is a going to drive and continue to drive the 3DS platform."

The other major pillar of Nintendo's support is, of course, supporting its handheld with games.

"We’re going to continue to bring new content, and that’s what’s going to keep this device vibrant and keep it going well into 2018 and beyond."

Fils-Aime made it clear that though the Nintendo Switch is a portable console, it is a home console and not a replacement for what Nintendo wants to accomplish with the 3DS and 2DS.

We say that it’s a home console that you take with you and play with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It really is meant to deliver that great home console performance, you just happen to be able to undock it and take it with you, which is a key innovation," Fils-Aime said. "But look, in the end, what we want is we want the consumer to call it their device, right? Their preferred gaming device that they can play fantastic Zelda, Mario, third-party content, all of their favorite franchises brought to life on the platform. That’s what we want. And we’re greedy and we want Nintendo 3DS right alongside it."

Hold me in a 240p jail cell if old.

Quonny

I understand why, but I wish they'd just take it out back and shoot it.

And then shoot it again for being an uncomfortable, ugly piece of garbage.

Thoraxes

I can't even fathom what else they could possibly have in store past what they've already announced and the late late ATLUS remasters next year (and obviously the D/P remakes that definitely won't come to Switch).

Nintendo supported both GBA and DS for around two full years after their successors launched. This is not surprising in the slightest.

How dare Nintendo continue to support a system instead of dropping it! The nerve!

I love my 3DS and I love my Switch. I'm looking forward to continue playing games on both.

Probably so, but I doubt they will have their main teams working on it. On top of that, by 2019 sales will slow and they will begin to retire it. It is inevitable.

EMT0

Banned
Come the hell on, you wanna argue the first year of the Switch fine, but after 2018? Are they insane? -.-

Juraash

I really like my 3DS and it's one of the systems my fiance and I play together most often. So I'm glad it'll continue to be supported for a while longer. I don't really want to do the Switch hunt again until absolutely necessary either.

Saying switch is not a replacement is a very bad sign that they will make a different handheld soon, ugh. Should have all studios focused on switch imo. I hope thats not what they are really doing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Kids dont get switches from parents ..
Kids get 3dses

Also switch is not as portable🤓

Also way bigger userbase 😍

Wait I just remembered they're going to release New Nintendo 2DS XL soon. They're not going to come out and say, "Hey we'll stop supporting this soon."

hatchx

Banned
If asked, do you expect Reggie to say otherwise?

Would he really say

'no we're going to kill it off?'

He would say this even if they legitimately had no releases for next year.

watershed

Banned
Into 2018 I can believe but beyond 2018 sounds like wishful thinking. Maybe Nintendo can keep selling to 3ds owners for that long though, especially if the games are exclusive and there are no similarly priced alternatives.

giphy.gif

MoonFrog

They just announced next mainline Pokemon to be on Switch. Switch is replacing 3DS. This is PR nonsense. Sure, they'll support 3DS a bit longer and it is a different market, but they'll move on to Switch with time.

I don't mind 3DS getting support but I wish Switch got some of those ports. I'm not buying a 3DS for the few games I really want on it. And I really want some of those games.

It upsets me that I won't play FE: Echoes or the new 2D Metroid but I suppose that's what it's going to be.

Should've held off on the Switch purchase.

rucury

Banned
Awesome! Glad to have more games for one of the best systems of all time. Salty Switch buyers pls understand

Thoraxes

They just announced next mainline Pokemon to be on Switch. Switch is replacing 3DS. This is PR nonsense. Sure, they'll support 3DS a bit longer and it is a different market, but they'll move on to Switch with time.

So D/P remakes wouldn't be the next new mainline games.

MisterHero

They're not going to stop making something that sells. A price drop or two, or an unexpected killer app might even prolong 3DS's life 1 or 2 more years.

They did it with NES Classic and fans rightfully complained!

If asked, do you expect Reggie to say otherwise?

Would he really say

'no we're going to kill it off?'

He would say this even if they legitimately had no releases for next year.

This. People are being silly. "Support" and "new content" could mean anything anyway.

I actually don't think it's nonsense. There will be a handful of first party releases in 2018, maybe one or two in 2019, and that'll be it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This is pretty unacceptable as a consumer and makes the idea to make the Switch being portable very questionable. The appeal of the console is that it is one Nintendo system with every game on it, both from their portable divisions and their console ones. If they wanted a home console they could have made this one cheaper and sold it for less. I am frankly disappointed in their direction so far.

Top Bottom