• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is this true? there are new pics of Lair in the new EGM and it looks bad?

llTll

Banned
i believe someone posted this in another thread but i totally forgot which one. and it wasnt also in the main subject.

but anyway to the point. is this true by any chance? did this game look like crap?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I personally don't think it looks bad. There is a dragon tail visible with obvious polygon segmentation and that is a bit jarring, but again...it's a tail.

I think the shot is most likely a poor angle.

We can't link to scans, so you'll have to pick up the mag and see for yourself. I think its "shittiness" is greatly exaggerated.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd really like to see the pics for myself. It suprises me that Factor 5 would deliver something of low quality (visually speaking), but then again, some of the companies known for wowing us have been letting everyone down this gen (thus far).

demi

Yes, it looks horrible. I have the magazine right here in front of me. Are you going to cry?

Are you?

Y2Kev

They also offer a brief summation of recent stuff they've seen and they said that looks either "really cool" or "really nice," or something to that effect.

It's factor 5. I'm not worried.

Andokuky

Banned
Just more oh noes downgrade exaggerations. Pic isn't great looking but it's also a small pic at a bad angle, any game would not look as flattering under those circumstances.

Chiggs

Gold Member
yoopoo said:
Well it looks better than Warhawk, but then again so does Factor 5's work on GC.

:lol

Anyway, yeah, it does kind of look disappointing. We'll definitely have to wait for new media before decisive judgement can really be made, though.

llTll

Banned
demi said:
Yes, it looks horrible. I have the magazine right here in front of me. Are you going to cry?

Are you?

well.. i am going to be sad because i believed ps3 is really a powerful console [ more than 360 ] but to see the a game by game looking worst than how it was shawn before.

its reaching the point to make me believe xbox 360 is actully better hardware than ps3 in terms of graphics.

but i wouldnt cry over a console :lol

WalkMan

Banned
Actually I think the image looks alright, not superb but it gets the job done.

demi said:
Did you see the Resistance pic? Now that's awful.
The Heavenly Sword one you can sorta see her cooch.

GeoramA

I just seen it in my new EGM. It actually looks pretty good for such a small pic. And if you look close enough you can see about 5 other dragons flying in the far distance. Why people are writing the game and Factor 5 off is a mystery to me.

Chiggs

Gold Member
demi said:
Did you see the Resistance pic? Now that's awful.

Yep. That stupid full page screenshot of that screaming, fish-faced, leech-lipped, poorly-textured alien trying to look scary is horrible.

I've begun to lose faith in Resistance. Not only do the graphics underwhelm, but the design is ****ing amateur hour, which is a real surprise. Maybe the guns will save it...who know.

yoopoo said:
Well it looks better than Warhawk, but then again so does Factor 5's work on GC.

That was a hilarious if far from factual statement. Truthfully, while there does appear to be somewhat of a downgrade in one dragon's tail, the game looks great -- going off the screen in question. I would wait until direct feed media of the game's latest build before rushing to a rash judgement off a poor (albeit still impressive) shot in EGM.

llTll said:
its reaching the point to make me believe xbox 360 is actully better hardware than ps3 in terms of graphics.

If I didn't see games on the PS3 that already look better than what's in the 360's current library, I might see where you're coming from. But, um, no. You're being needlessly dramatic. The PS3 is fine, and it'll impress upon launch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That segmented tail sure doesn't follow the F5's presentation about using 100K poly models with parallax texture maps for added detail, and it sure as hell doesn't look as high poly as those dragons they showcased at GDC some time ago.

My guesses:

1) It's only your dragon that is as high poly, the others are more of 10K level stuff that we see in other next gen games (thus the chunky tail).

2) In scenes where there's 1 on 1 dragon fight they are super high poly as shown earlier, but in scenes where there's massive number of them they use low poly models

3) They are using some kind of LOD on models. Questionable, because the chunky tail dragon looks pretty big on that screen, so if the LOD system is doing what it's supposed to, it would be using the high poly version at that point.

4) Downgraded total, PS3 less powered than they anticipated, no dragons use high poly meshes at any time.

Other than that dragon's tail, it's really hard to tell how detailed anything is from such a small picture, but the overall look of the picture (color usage, etc) looks very simillar to the E3 trailer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
llTll said:
well.. i am going to be sad because i believed ps3 is really a powerful console [ more than 360 ] but to see the a game by game looking worst than how it was shawn before.

but i wouldnt cry over a console :lol

Keep in mind this a magazine pic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That one little shot?

That doesn't even look like a screen shot. And it doesn't look bad at all.

Ya'll so crazy, fo real.

Y2Kev

Marconelly said:
That segmented tail sure doesn't follow the F5's presentation about using 100K poly models with parallax texture maps for added detail, and it sure as hell doesn't look as high poly as those dragons they showcased at GDC some time ago.

My guesses:

1) It's only your dragon that is as high poly, the others are more of 10K level stuff that we see in other next gen games (thus the chunky tail).

2) In scenes where there's 1 on 1 dragon fight they are super high poly as shown earlier, but in scenes where there's massive number of them they use low poly models

3) They are using some kind of LOD on models. Questionable, because the chunky tail dragon looks pretty big on that screen, so if the LOD system is doing what it's supposed to, it would be using the high poly version at that point.

3) Downgraded total, PS3 less powered than they anticipated, no dragons use high poly meshes at any time.

Other than that dragon's tail, it's really hard to tell how detailed anything is from such a small picture, but the overall look of the picture (color usage, etc) looks very simillar to the E3 trailer.

All are possible, but I think this is the most likely:

4) They are still working on the game.

They still have four months. PDZ took huge strides in the four months after E3. I'm willing to give FACTOR 5 a chance. That's IF it makes launch. It might not be a launch game.

download zinio reader get the free egm offer look at it yourself

yes it is true. lair look like another game.

the bad magazine can hide lowres parallex skins but the polys seems to have drop too. no massive battles spotted.

it could be a beta or bad egam or really downgraded. we see at launch.

Mojovonio

Banned
yeah, doesn't look that great.

And army of two #1 new game?

WTF

Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the new PC Gamer with Bioshock on the cover.

There's a pic of the guadrian where his arm is interacting with water running down from the celing. Its not just mist spraying around, reflecting off his arm, it's all actual rendered droplets that refract the environment. Looks awesome.

Supposidly they had 4 devs working on water effects alone? That's a bit over kill.

demi

Yeah, the guy who showcased Bioshock at E3 said the same thing regarding water

fyi, Bioshock look(ed) phenomenal then, I can't wait to see what it looks like at retail

Mojovonio

Banned
demi said:
Yeah, the guy who showcased Bioshock at E3 said the same thing regarding water

fyi, Bioshock look(ed) phenomenal then, I can't wait to see what it looks like at retail

Yep. Shitty engine + Amazing coders and artists= best looking next gen game yet.

demi

Shitty engine? I thought it was using UE3? That is bad?

Did you see it at E3? I was like fapfapfap the entire time

Mojovonio

Banned
Mmmkay said:
What's wrong with UE3?

UE2.5, not UE3, which enforces my point, they were able to take a shitty old engine and customize the hell out of it to make the best looking next gen game.

Mmmkay

Mojovonio said:
UE2.5, not UE3, which enforces my point, they were able to take a shitty old engine and customize the hell out of it to make the best looking next gen game.
They moved their development to UE3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mojovonio said:
I'm fairly certain that they are actually using UE3 for Bioshock, despite the initial statement that it would not.

Mojovonio

Banned
Mmmkay said:
They moved their development to UE3.

Oh really? I was unaware of that. It doesn't look that much different now though. I can only imagine how this game will look at launch.

It also has the best story in a game ever.

Mmmkay

Mojovonio said:
Oh really? I was unaware of that.
Yeah they mentioned it in an interview around E3.
*AMN* Question: Speaking of the graphics engine, it's running on Unreal 2.5 right?

Ken: No, we've moved to Unreal 3, we've done a lot of modifications on top of it, all the water effects we've added, and we've added a lot of features like water....again we don't build features just to have them, we build them to have an emotional resonance. The AI relationship with the characters is an emotional thing and with the gameplay, the water, we wan't to make you feel like the ocean is about to drown you, it's drowing Rapture and as you'll see in the demo, water is just coming into this place so we've hired a water programmer and water artist, just for this game, and they're kicking ass and you've never seen water like this.

*AMN* Question: When did the change happen, the switch to UE3 happen?

Ken: A few months ago, I mean, technically, I think you misunderstand me on how this works, basically, we translated systems over and ported more systems over, but Unreal 3 has a lot of elements that 2.5 has, there's a lot of marketing there, but we had a lot of benefits to that and we're not using all of it, we're using our own things, but we have a lot of benefits too.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101509

Nozi

Banned
There is a tail that is kinked 4 times, ie.. pretty low poly (4 cylinders in a tail style). Otherwise it looks good.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
The tail
Lair.jpg

Top Bottom