• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 XB-360 won't be using tiling to achieve A.A.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I sent a email to Valve asking about A.A. and tiling and got a response.

Incase you're answering questions about engine technology on the next-gen consoles, I was wondering if Source on the XB360 will use tiling to fit into the 10mb of eDRAM for 4x A.A.?

Valve responded

We're doing our AA a different way - tiling is not a very good way to spend perf to get visual quality

So it will have A.A. but it won't be using the tiling method.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully one of the ports will actually run at a good framerate. Thus far, PC -> 360 ports have been garbage. I'm hoping that they either buck the trend on 360 OR deliver something good on PS3.

*IF* they can deliver HL2 with a perfect framerate (hopefully 60), full visual fidelity, minimal loading, and absolutely NO pauses or skips...I will absolutely buy it for one of those machines. There is NO reason why either of these machines shouldn't be able to run circles around the source engine, but then again, 360 should not have struggled so heavily with the Doom 3 engine either. It seems like lazy porting and I seriously hope that doesn't occur here.

Jacobi

Banned
dark10x said:
*IF* they can deliver HL2 with a perfect framerate (hopefully 60), full visual fidelity, minimal loading, and absolutely NO pauses or skips...I will absolutely buy it for one of those machines. There is NO reason why either of these machines shouldn't be able to run circles around the source engine, but then again, 360 should not have struggled so heavily with the Doom 3 engine either. It seems like lazy porting and I seriously hope that doesn't occur here.
What about the RAM ?

Is there any window of when it will ship for 360? I didn't even know it had been confirmed yet. Awesome. Hopefully they'll do a good job. The HL2 job on Xbox was good considering the hardware

Chiggs

Gold Member
dark10x said:
but then again, 360 should not have struggled so heavily with the Doom 3 engine either. It seems like lazy porting and I seriously hope that doesn't occur here.

You can attribute *some* of it to lazy porting, but the real reason the Doom III engine stinks on the 360 is simply because it relies so much on branch prediction--something that both the 360 and PS3 really ****ing suck at.

Chiggs said:
You can attribute *some* of it might be lazy porting, but the real reason the Doom III engine stinks on the 360 is simply because it relies so much on branch prediction--something that both the 360 and PS3 really ****ing suck at.
opengl eats ass

Hunter D

Jacobi said:
What about the RAM ?
If the code is ported efficiently it won't matter. I don't see sega having problems porting VF5 to the PS3 even though the arcade version a gig+ of ram.

dark10x

Chiggs said:
You can attribute *some* of it might be lazy porting, but the real reason the Doom III engine stinks on the 360 is simply because it relies so much on branch prediction--something that both the 360 and PS3 really ****ing suck at.
That might explain the wierd fits that Prey seems to have. You could be spinning around in place at a perfect 30 fps and then, suddenly, it starts to drop frames for a few seconds before kicking back up. It feels very shakey.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's due with Episode 2, which is due by the end of the year. But it's Valve so..

Unfortunately this doesn't sound like the best of starts for the port. I'm quite curious to see how they'll do AA without tiling - assuming it's MSAA and they're not just rendering out to main RAM? - but it sounds like they're being forced to work against the system here. It also seems like a slightly polite way of saying that MS/ATi made a boo-boo going with eDram/tiling, from Valve/Source's POV.

edit - I guess the most obvious way to do AA without tiling is to go the PGR3 route.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
gofreak said:
It's due with Episode 2, which is due by the end of the year. But it's Valve so..

Unfortunately this doesn't sound like the best of starts for the port. I'm quite curious to see how they'll do AA without tiling - assuming it's MSAA and they're not just rendering out to main RAM? - but it sounds like they're being forced to work against the system here. It also seems like a slightly polite way of saying that MS/ATi made a boo-boo going with eDram/tiling, from Valve/Source's POV.

Somehow I don't believe that one of the most fundamental design decisions both ATi/MS made with the edram/tiling was a bad decision. Methinks it's simply Valve doesn't want to modify their source engine to run in the way the 360 was designed to. We have yet to see a single full fledged ground up game developed for the system... We have ported ups, PC ports, and middleware like UE3. I doubt it's a "boo-boo" and more laziness.

bengraven

I predict early 2007 on this game, unfortunately.

I really, really want this out within the year and with smaller loading times, high-resolution textures, and a steady framerate whether it be 30 or 60 fps.

Frankly, I LIKED Half-Life 2 on Xbox. It was my first experience with the series and led me to buy the Anthology edition of Half-Life on my PC, which I'm starting to get into. However, I never beat "Follow Freeman!" on the Xbox just because of the framerates.

I can't wait to start fresh. Some say the series is over-rated, but I say it's just right.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tenacious-V said:
Somehow I don't believe that one of the most fundamental design decisions both ATi/MS made with the edram/tiling was a bad decision. Methinks it's simply Valve doesn't want to modify their source engine to run in the way the 360 was designed to. We have yet to see a single full fledged ground up game developed for the system... We have ported ups, PC ports, and middleware like UE3. I doubt it's a "boo-boo" and more laziness.

I said "from Valve/Source's POV". They've evidently tried it out, and the performance characteristics/tradeoffs do not suit their engine. Valve can't speak for everyone else, but just their own experience.

dalyr95

I've been trying to find this out for ages,
what exactly is tiling AA and how does it compare to MSAA and other forms of AA

People keep going on about it, so is it good or bad?

bengraven

ypo said:
So the game's not going to run at 720P?

Where does this question come from? What does tiling have to do with 720p? I'm fairly certain all games HAVE to support 720p anyway. Or at least 1080i.

Aryuken

Banned
Basically Valve says they have a better way to do it, but somehow some of you guys (like Gofreak) spin it around and turn it into something bad.

Amazing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dalyr95 said:
I've been trying to find this out for ages,
what exactly is tiling AA and how does it compare to MSAA and other forms of AA

360 uses MSAA. But in order to use 2x MSAA (or higher) with 720p (or higher), you have to 'tile'. Tiling means splitting up the frame you're rendering into two or more segments so they can fit into Xenos's eDram at one time.

So there's no such thing really as "tiling AA" - tiling is the means to the end (720p with AA).

bengraven said:
Where does this question come from? What does tiling have to do with 720p? I'm fairly certain all games HAVE to support 720p anyway. Or at least 1080i.

Not any more. MS dropped that requirement at launch, really. PGR3 rendered at 1024x600 in order to use AA without tiling. That's why people raise that question here - because Valve say they'll do AA without tiling. It doesn't mean that's how they're doing it, but it's the most obvious way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gofreak said:
360 uses MSAA. But in order to use 2x MSAA (or higher) with 720p (or higher), you have to 'tile'.
I'm not sure if that's the case. I thought 2x MSAA 720p buffer fits in EDRAM if you're not using FP HDR buffer - which HL2 won't be using as their HDR is done through shaders (or at least I think that's how it's done - that's why it can do MSAA +HDR on Nvidia cards, right?)

Aryuken said:
:lol They haven't dropped shit. Where are you getting this from?
There was an interview with some JP developer some months ago that said that MS doesn't have AA +720p as a requirement anymore.

gofreak said:
A search will help you, this is old old information now.
Yeah, but one exception on a first party launch title doesn't mean that all of a sudden lots of games run at less than 720p and MS is making exceptions all over the place, does anything else render less than 720p?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
All that was "dopped" was the AA requirement, which was partly due to "pressure"/reasoning from Epic (UE3, no AA). PGR3 was allowed to slip by because MS was desperate and needed it at launch, and the guys at Bizzare just couldn't get the game as they wanted running at 720p steadily. Outside of 1 exception, the requirement's never been changed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Klocker said:
what PGR3 did is not an end all be all indication of what MS requires or desires.

No, but I don't think they could rightly deny that option to others while giving a free pass to one of their own. And as far as I know they did not, or at least that was the word out of a report that discussed HD rendering generally with some other Japanese developers in the months after.

It's just one option to explain what Valve is saying, one with precedent. Another alternative is that they're using MS's definition of 'AA', which now includes things like blurs and DOF.

Marconelly said:
I'm not sure if that's the case. I thought 2x MSAA 720p buffer fits in EDRAM if you're not using FP HDR buffer - which HL2 won't be using as their HDR is done through shaders (or at least I think that's how it's done - that's why it can do MSAA +HDR on Nvidia cards, right?)

No, you need to tile if you want any AA at all at 720p. Xenos's preferred HDR format is 32-bit anyway.

See here for a table on memory footprint requirements: http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=05#tiled

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aryuken said:
Basically Valve says they have a better way to do it, but somehow some of you guys (like Gofreak) spin it around and turn it into something bad.

Amazing.

isn't it quite likely that a relatively old PC game being ported to a PC-centric platform like the X360 would want to keep things as intact as possible? Coding to the merits of the machine almost goes against what XNA lets you do - i.e. cross development between PC/X360

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Aryuken said:

Amazing.
Relax. Take deep breaths. It's only bad from the standpoint that the hardware was designed with the intent to achieve AA via tiling and that's all that your archnemesis is referring to. If devs are going to continue to ignore that route to AA, then you have purpose-built circuitry in the 360 that's being underutilized and could have perhaps been designed differently to be applied towards something that developers would make use of more regularly...more shaders or what have you.

The 360 will still be a great game platform and I'm sure the port of HL2 will turn out fine and I'm sure evil evil gofreak agrees.

dalyr95

The AA was dropped, I'm sure MS requires games to have a HD and SD mode though.

So with tiling, is it like interlacing a picture where you only calculate half the AA at a time?

Bebpo

Banned
I thought tiling was supposed to be bad and was one of the detriments of early X360 games that developers were trying to get away from?

Isn't this ...good news?

Vark

Mojovonio said:
so the edRAM is essentially pointless?

not at all.

it just means that if you make your game with the 360 in mind, then you gain the most benefits. If you try to take a game designed for something else and move it over to the 360, things may or may not work out so well.

PS3's got the same type of deal in different areas.

Mojovonio

Banned
Vark said:
not at all.

it just means that if you make your game with the 360 in mind, then you gain the most benefits. If you try to take a game designed for something else and move it over to the 360, things may or may not work out so well.

So then a game like Kameo uses tiling, right? Did you use it in Oblivion?

It just sucks cause a huge majority of game will use UE3, which doesn't support tiling.

squicken

Vark said:
not at all.

If you're not going to pick a side, please stay out of this thread. kthxbye :)

Bebpo said:
I thought tiling was supposed to be bad and was one of the detriments of early X360 games that developers were trying to get away from?

Isn't this ...good news?

However you got that idea, it's wrong.

It's the direct opposite. The detriment was early X360 titles weren't using tiling.

To get the best use of X360, tiling is the way to go.

As for good news, more like grey area since we don't know how well their engine will run on X360.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Vark said:
not at all.

So, how's the conversion of Oblivion to PS3 going? ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bebpo said:

Isn't this ...good news?

Tiling is necessary to use the system as it was intended. It's not a matter of tiling being bad and wanting to avoid it - it's a matter of your implementation needing to address in a manner that acceptably minimises the costs involved. If you can't do that and have to avoid it..well, you're still using the eDram, but you're missing out on much of the intended benefit (for example, you may not using AA - much of the point of having the eDram - or you may be rendering at a lower resolution or whatever).

Yoboman

Gold Member
Give me quicker load times or none at all and I will be your slave. I WILL CARRY YOUR DRINKS MR. NEWELL!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yoboman said:
Give me quicker load times or none at all and I will be your slave. I WILL CARRY YOUR DRINKS MR. NEWELL!!

QFT. And KB/mouse, kthx. That's a question to ask!

dark10x

gofreak said:
QFT. And KB/mouse, kthx. That's a question to ask!
No technical reason why they couldn't add support for those devices, but personally, I'm excited about playing with a gamepad. They are cinematic games (somewhat) and would benefit greatly from the smooth rotation and analog character movement that a pad will bring to the table.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Tiling, Anti-Aliasing, Felching. Who cares? Will the game be fun and how well will Team Fortress 2 turn out? These are the things that matter. Unless GAF is becoming a tech support forum, do any of us really care what Valve is doing to make HL2 on X360 look curvaceous and smooth?

Top Bottom