• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PBS 6-Hour Documentary Series on Africa's Great Civilizations Trailer - Feb.27

Status
Not open for further replies.
AfricasGreatCivilizations.jpeg

https://twitter.com/HenryLouisGates/status/820782638348677120

PBS and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. have teamed up for a 3-part/6-hour documentary series titled ”Africa's Great Civilizations" which premieres on February 27, promising to bring ”little-known yet epic stories to life, detailing African kingdoms and cultures

Henry Louis Gates Jr produces great docu-series for PBS so I can't wait for this.

Edit: Will post a youtube trailer once it's posted.

Sunster

i'm watching this right now. I can't believe how ignorant I am about basically 100% of this history.

Hebrew slaves didn't build the pyramids???

giphy.gif

Christianity didn't arrive in Africa through colonialism???

2JrU4f6.gif

KRod-57

Banned
I got this DVR'd, I'm always looking to learn more about history. Outside of the Carthaginians and the Egyptians, I don't know a whole lot about African history

Sunster

Haven't been able to watch yet, but no. I know Christianity in Ethiopia is super old, at least.

yea I learned a little about sub Saharan Africa and the major civilizations there early in college. That was post ancient times though and Christianity was already fused with local traditions. So I assumed it had come from Europeans.

yea I learned a little about sub Saharan Africa and the major civilizations there early in college. That was post ancient times though and Christianity was already fused with local traditions. So I assumed it had come from Europeans.

Wasn't Ethiopia one of the first nations to accept Christianity?

sphagnum

Banned
Ethiopian Christianity is really fascinating. It's unfortunate how unknown it is in the West. And it's much closer to Orthodox Christianity than the Protestant-derived traditions that African Americans follow.

Posting in here to remind myself to watch this. I know embarrassingly little about African history, and I took an African history class in college.

Mumei

This looks fascinating. I'll have to check it out.

RE: Christianity and Africa, it might help to remember this:

600px-Roman_Empire_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

It probably shouldn't be a surprise that Christianity spread into Africa; part of the Roman Empire was in Africa.

Ethiopian Christianity is really fascinating. It's unfortunate how unknown it is in the West. And it's much closer to Orthodox Christianity than the Protestant-derived traditions that African Americans follow.

The best book I've seen on the history of Christianity, Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years has a brief section on the rejection of Chalcedon, the Church of the East, and the Ethiopian Church. It's very interesting stuff:

The first historical accounts are from the fourth century, and make it clear that Christian approaches came not southwards from Egypt but from the east across the Red Sea, via Ethiopia's long-standing trade contacts with Arabia and ultimately Syria. It was a Syrian merchant, Frumentius, who is credited with converting Ezana, the Negus (king or emperor) of the powerful northern Ethiopian state of Aksum. Certainly Ezana's coins witness to a conversion no less dramatic and personal than Constantine's: they change motifs from traditional symbols of a crescent and two stars to a cross. Ezana has left a surviving inscription in Greek, announcing his renunciation of his status as son of the Ethiopian war god, putting himself instead under the care of the Trinity.

King Ezana may have renounced traditional gods, but the worship of the Church over which he presided has remained unique and unmistakably African in Character. Since church buildings are often temple-like in character rather than congregational spaces, much of the liturgy is conducted in the open air, accompanied by a variety of drums and percussive and stringed instruments, and with the principal clergy and musicians shaded from the weather by elaborately shaded umbrellas. Instead of church bells, sonorous echoes struck on stones hanging from trees summon worshippers to prayer. The Church's liturgical chant, inseparable from its worship, is attribute to the sixth-century Court musician Yared.

It's very interesting stuff.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm halfway through the first episode and this shit is wild.

So many untold stories just waiting for the games and movie industry.

Lol at the hair pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom