• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika (PS3) pics, videos, previews

Endless

sfa4k4.jpg

HDD Install Size = 1,873 MB (Approx 5 mins install)
Save Game Size = 387 MB (Time to save approx 45 secs)
Time Required To Load Save Game (From Main Title Screen) = Approx 55 secs (It's a long wait but happens only once each time you play)
Time For Various In-Game Screen Loading = Approx 5-10 secs
Supported Screen Resolutions = 480i / 480p / 720p
Audio Formats = Linear PCM 5.1ch/7.1ch and DD 5.1ch
DualShock 3 Vibration Force Feedback = Supported (Land Rover moving on bumpy terrain, Animal Attack Warning)
SixAxis Motion Sensor = Supported (Camera Landscape and Portrait mode, Camera Shake)
Game World Accelerated Time = Morning To Evening, while on foot (equivalent to 30 mins real time)

AFRIKA (Hakuna Matata) Strategy Guide (bob.com.sg/forum)

• Reviews

Famitsu: 8/7/7/7

Dengeki Playstation: 85 / 90 / 90 / 70

Eurogamer: 7/10

whatifgaming.com

afrikafront.jpg

SumGamer said:

• August 28

Gameplay videos: Gamersyde | Gamekyo | Nicovideo

• August 19

Afrika 'Complete' trailer

Afrika commercial from Sony in Japan

• August 8

• August 7

Afrika Hands On - ps3.ign.com

The title was set up for demo play at Sony's Tokyo headquarters for the latest round of Experience PlayStation events Thursday evening.

Our play session started off in the surroundings of our base camp. We were able to make our character walk and run freely, but were told by Sony reps to get into a car in order to really travel far.

Regardless of how you choose to travel, the game appears to implement its control systems pretty well. When on foot, you move and strafe with the left analogue stick and look around with the right, giving you the ability to fully survey your surroundings as you explore the African wilderness. When in a vehicle, you use the triggers for acceleration and breaking and the left stick for steering. All standard stuff, but implemented solidly.

When on foot, you can press down to make your character bend down a bit and ready his camera. In this stance, you can sneak up on animals and take pictures, zooming in depending on your camera and lens type.

That's right. Afrika has not just collectible camera types, but collectible camera accessories as well. The version of the game on display had two cameras available, a Sony Alpha and an older camera, each with one selectable lens. The game's shooting interface and the resulting picture quality change depending on your current equipment.

Upon trying to take pictures of the few animals that we encountered, we discovered that the virtual creatures of Afrika, much like their real life counterparts, don't like being disturbed. Run up to a pack of animals, and they'll disperse. The only way to get some good pictures using just a standard camera is to sneak up on your targets, zoom in all the way, wait for the perfect moment, and snap away.

These rules apply for driving as well. If you approach a pack of animals at full speed, they'll disperse. Animals are best approached on foot.

Incidentally (because we're sure you're wondering), it appears that you can't actually hit animals with your car. The game stops you just before contact and you get a warning message from your partner about how you shouldn't get too close to the animals.

While you're free to take pictures to your heart's content, there is a point to your photography. You take on requests from a variety of parties who are interested in certain pictures, and in return receive money (in units of "A," whatever that is) which can be used to buy new items. The few requests that we were able to see in the demo involved taking pictures in different ways, some just standard shots, others taken at night, and others using specific equipment, such as a tripod.

Before we were able to try ramming (probably unsuccessfully) into more animals, evening came on and we were automatically taken back to our home base, which appears to be a central hub for taking care of all the game-like details such as saving and setting options. You also have access to three major components of the game from here: a shop, laptop PC, and field guide.

Your PC lets you store pictures that you've taken while out on your safari (if you don't do this, you'll eventually run out of either space or film) and check up on your in-game e-mail. E-mail is where you learn of missions which, as we described above, all seem to involve taking pictures. Mission descriptions are detailed, often with pictures and even video clips of the requested animals.

Building up the field guide looks like it will be a major time consumer for animal fans. The guide, which contained just one entry in the demo version, offers text descriptions of animals, pictures and videos marked as "National Geographic Data," and fully rotatable 3D models of each creature at different ages.

The shop is where you buy new camera equipment, tents (presumably for night shooting) and car upgrades. At the demo area's point in the game, the shop had new camera bodies, new lenses, and a few car spray paint sets available.

Many of the items in the shop appear to be licensed, with the car showing the "Suzuka" logo and all the cameras coming from Sony's line up new and old models. The shop interface actually opens up with an ad pimping Sony Alpha products. This was hopefully just for show, as having to see a new add every time you want to buy something would totally suck.

Although we were able to sample the various components of Afrika, our short play time did not really let us get a full feel for what the game is all about. We're going to have to sit down with the full title and explore for a few hours before discovering the true Afrika, it seems.

One area of the game did manage to disappoint us even in our short play time, though. On a visual level, Afrika has some major framerate issues. The game is consistently choppy. While it's true that there's a lot of detail in the world along with a full day-night cycle, not having a smooth visual engine does sort of take you out of the fantasy of existing in this virtual recreation of Africa.

Also disappointing is that the game world isn't totally seamless. While sections of the game world are huge overall, they do have invisible walls preventing you from going too far, along with clear entry and exit points, where the screen goes blank and the next area loads in.

• August 1

Afrika Renamed Hakuna Matata Outside Of Japan - asia.playstation.com

• July 18

esrjwm.png

New video

• July 8

Wataru Hokoyama records the AFRIKA Main Title - scoringsessions.com

wjswpk.jpg

azc594.jpg

• July 6

• June 15
More Afrika details - ps3hyper.com

Sony brought Afrika to Taiwan recently to a media event and lets journalists, GNN did a little coverage of the showcase and has more details about the game.

As reported in the previous issue of Weekly Famitsu, the main theme of the game is Safari and you will be a photo journalist visiting Africa. At the start of the game, you choose to either be a male or female journalist and your assignments will be taking photos and research the lifestyle of these animals. Assignments will come from the headquarter via emails send to your camp, after investigating the map of the location and getting your equipments ready, your AI driver/tour guide is waiting for you in a Jeep. So for those who are looking forward to hitting the animals with the Jeep, you are out of luck. You can take photos from the Jeep or get down to be closer with the animals.

10zo01w.jpg

GNN says they found the zebras, gazelles and giraffes earlier in the game extremely life-like, like watching National Geographic channel. However, getting too close to these animals will either scare them away or being attacked by the fiercer types. Taking photos with your cameras is just like real life, you can adjust settings like focus and aperture. Different cameras will also produce photos of different qualities and if you shakes a lot on you SIXAXIS controller, you can only get a blurry shot. SIXAXIS is also being used to adjust the angles of the photo.

mwfpub.jpg

Once you are done taking photos, you can send them to the headquarter, who will rates the photos based on their composition, rarity and clarity. Good shots will earn you money to buy better cameras, obviously Sony is not going to miss the chance to promote their range of DSLR.

The game looks incredible so far and like GNN mentioned in their article, you’re not rush to get anything done in the game but encouraged to observe and discover more, a good departure from all the shooters and fighting games

• June 6

Trailer | Download (HD) MP4 | 93.9 MB

BeeDog

Oh man, too bad about the last two paragraphs. If IGN notices graphical faults, then you know it's gonna be bad (eg. when they called GTA4 technically sound).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
lol Sony Cameras

Wheres Nikon and Canon?

;_;

Seeing the various gadgets you can employ has actually got me interested.

gantz85

Banned
Loudninja said:
All they have to do is fix the framerate issues,sounds great other than that.

August JP release = GOLD master completed, submitted and probably being manufactured now.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Well ign didnt say anything about the 'fiercer animals attacking' like ps3 hyper. So will the lions attack you?

And why call it hakuna matata, Afrika sounds way better.

RBH

One area of the game did manage to disappoint us even in our short play time, though. On a visual level, Afrika has some major framerate issues. The game is consistently choppy. While it's true that there's a lot of detail in the world along with a full day-night cycle, not having a smooth visual engine does sort of take you out of the fantasy of existing in this virtual recreation of Africa.

Also disappointing is that the game world isn't totally seamless. While sections of the game world are huge overall, they do have invisible walls preventing you from going too far, along with clear entry and exit points, where the screen goes blank and the next area loads in.
:/

Looks pretty interesting otherwise.

jett

D-Member
Although we were able to sample the various components of Afrika, our short play time did not really let us get a full feel for what the game is all about. We're going to have to sit down with the full title and explore for a few hours before discovering the true Afrika, it seems.

Reading between the lines: "This game is crap!"

oneHeero

Sucks about it not being seamless and framerate issues. I was excited from reading the hands-on though. Sounds like fun but those 2 things suck :(

gantz85

Banned
jett said:
Reading between the lines: "This game is crap!"

I don't even have to read between the lines to see the troll.

ChrisGoldstein said:
Well ign didnt say anything about the 'fiercer animals attacking' like ps3 hyper. So will the lions attack you?

And why call it hakuna matata, Afrika sounds way better.

I think the fiercer animals do attack, but don't expect any combat system or QTE fights in the game. Probably fatality.

Also, the naming gives you a pretty good idea about the audience they are aiming towards.

BeeDog

gantz85 said:
I don't even have to read between the lines to see the troll.

He isn't a troll, just read his tag and you'll know. And I do agree with him, when IGN doesn't give a glowing preview, you should realize there might be problems with the game.

gantz85

Banned
BeeDog said:
He isn't a troll, just read his tag and you'll know. And I do agree with him, when IGN doesn't give a glowing preview, you should realize there might be problems with the game.

For your information: http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745708p2.html

I really think Afrika/Hakuna Matata is not a game-game, but Sony's expanding library to rope in the non-hardcore users. It falls more into Singstar, Buzz, Aqua more than it does Killzone, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid 4 -- and I do not know if the current critic population can tackle these games for preview/review for the population it was intended for. I also honestly have no idea if these users regard framerate or fixed gameplay areas as serious problems.

The game actually sounds like it may be interesting, at least if you are interested in taking photos of animals. I would definitely think about picking this up if it gets a US release at a budget price(~$40), and if they iron out some of the graphical issues.

I was also looking at the pictures and thinking how much a Jurassic Park game like this would be totally awesome.

Vangellis

The visuals from those screenshots are a mixed bag. Personally looks pretty crappy. I guess whats really sticking out for me are the textures. The ground texture has a really noticeable repeat pattern and looks poor. For a game that has long expansive landscapes they need to fix that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've figured out what it is that bugs me about this game. It's the lack of FUR. These animals are all just textured sacks. I guess I see little tufts here and there but it should be EVERYWHERE. I mean, this:

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/61091420080808_163941_9_big.jpg

Just looks so awful to me. Every single thing in that screen is just so flat. If I'm playing a nature photography game the visuals are basically the single most important thing, and the models in this game are just all so lifeless.

joesmokey

:/

AndresON777

shooting blanks
gantz85 said:
I think the fiercer animals do attack, but don't expect any combat system or QTE fights in the game. Probably fatality.

Also, the naming gives you a pretty good idea about the audience they are aiming towards.

That'd be fine by me I'd be happy getting mauled and having to start over, especially with those scenes in the dark I've seen.

And LOL at the last part.

reminder

"When in a vehicle, you use the triggers for acceleration and breaking and the left stick for steering."

So you actually CAN control vehicles? Great! :D

greepoman

I remember when people used to put this on their "awesome ps3 exclusives" list. Now it's MAG, Heavy Rain, KZ2, etc...wonder which will be the next "Afrika".

Loudninja

greepoman said:
I remember when people used to put this on their "awesome ps3 exclusives" list. Now it's MAG, Heavy Rain, KZ2, etc...wonder which will be the next "Afrika".

What nothing has change,people still hype for it.

jett

D-Member
BeeDog said:

This.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
greepoman said:

haha I remember those times as well... 'bu-bu-bu AFRIKA!'

andycapps

Looks interesting... I highly doubt I'll buy it unless some glowing reviews start coming in. What is the release date for this? Wondering if they can fix those framerate issues in time. Really, why are they having framerate issues with a game like this? :lol

To everyone wondering why people are backing down so much for this.. it seems to me the reason why everyone was so hyped about it was that we knew nothing except for a screenshot or two here and there. It seemed so different to all the FPS's that were being shown at the time as well. I mean, it still seems unique, but it does seem like a non-game and as such, doesn't look like something I could see myself getting into. A demo may convert me, providing they fix the framerate.

BeeDog

Kafel said:
I remember when this game was very impressive.

Doesn't help your case when you jump into a topic, posting that snide remark with only a Xbox gamertag in your profile and a post history to prove it, bud. ;) But I agree, as time has passed, the game looks far less impressive than before.

Doubledex

Banned
BeeDog said:
Doesn't help your case when you jump into a topic, posting that snide remark with only a Xbox gamertag in your profile and a post history to prove it, bud. ;)
The same problem in every PS3-exclusive-game thread

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Doubledex said:
Every time I think about Afrika-The Game... I feel sad ;( So much potential.... but... :(
Photos? B+tich please!
I think its great. This is a game anyone can enjoy, I can definitely give it to my nephews and parents to play. What better way for kids/adults to learn about animals and as a bonus photography.

Then again i am one of the suckers who love animal planet and bought planet earth as xmas presents.

ram

Jinfash said:
choppy framerate and invisible walls? notsureifwant.gif :/

yeah, thats a bit of a downer, but even then, i will give it a try. i am so sick of all the boring fps games, afrika is fresh and intresting.

Top Bottom