• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Anime related help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Alright, quick rundown of the situation - I used to watch Anime a lot, a LOT when I was younger, I've seen most of the staples of the past (Ranma, Maison Ikkoku, Chobits, Gundam Wing, Full Metal panic and a crap load of other crap I don't remember the names of) - anyway I haven't really kept up with Anime for a long long time. Now I want to get back into it, and so does the girlfriend.

Here are the real questions.

1. After just watching Avatar, what can anyone recommend we watch? We both really liked the show, and something in that vein would be awesome. Don't really want to watch anything TOO serious or overly dramatic, light hearted with Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements are great. But I'll take some serious Drama if it's worth it.

2. I can't find a good Anime-info database :(. I would like something that organized things by date and 'score' if possible, in an easy and simple layout. The sites I find have me jumping through too many links and feel clunky, any recommendations?

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, I mean if you enjoy Avatar, you might enjoy Naruto, it's not as quality, but it uses a lot of the same concepts.

Just search GAF for anime in topic title. There's a top a billion in there. Just off the top of my head, Hunter x Hunter and Full Metal Alchemist are similar-ish to Avatar. Well, similarish and don't suck.

Wraith

anidb.net is a decent anime database. I don't really watch the stuff anymore, but I used to get a lot of recommendations through there.

Yu Yu Hakusho

The last arc is kind of a stinker (it starts off really awesome and then just ends abruptly) but as a whole, the series is fucking awesome.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
There really isn't anything much like Avatar in the anime world.

But if your goal is a light-hearted fantasy anime with some dramatic moments I guess I'd recommend One Piece. At least thats the closest anime I can think of to the style of Avatar.

rykomatsu

Kinitari said:
1. After just watching Avatar, what can anyone recommend we watch? We both really liked the show, and something in that vein would be awesome. Don't really want to watch anything TOO serious or overly dramatic, light hearted with Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements are great. But I'll take some serious Drama if it's worth it.

While it's not in the same vein as Avatar...if you're looking for light-hearted with fantasy elements, I HIGHLY suggest checking out Wagaya no Oinari-sama. It ended this past summer...26 (or was it 24?) ep series. Lighthearted and fun series which revolves around a pair of brothers who take into their household 2 girls (one a harvest god, another a priestess?) who completely lack common knowledge about society and their antics. Ep1 is a bit serious, but the end of ep1 into ep2 really makes a huge transition into a comedy.

I can't recommend this series enough. It's devoid of any major story arcs but the characters are well done and is extremely entertaining. It doesn't really have too much of a gender demographic bias either though there's some obvious fan service towards males. Nothing liek rosario+vampire/sekirei etc...really tame in comparison.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks for the recommendations, just want to make it clear though - anything that is really really good is okay to suggest too.

Stridone

Banned
www.myanimelist.net is a great database if you're trying to find stuff by genre.

As for anything really good; 5 Centimeters per Second is a beautiful drama/romance movie (really incredibly beautiful). Mushishi for drama/fantasy/relaxing. Kanon for drama with a fantasy flavor.

Oh, and I cannot forget Spice & Wolf. A great series about a travelling merchant and his odd female companion in Medieval times.

grandjedi6

Kinitari said:
Thanks for the recommendations, just want to make it clear though - anything that is really really good is okay to suggest too.
What exactly did you like about Avatar? It might help narrow down the mountain of results you'll get. In particular, what kind of humor?

rykomatsu

Stridone said:
Kanon for drama with a fantasy flavor.

On that note, AIR and Clannad too....AIR i'd easily rank above Kanon...Clannad a bit down the scale from Kanon...there's also Clannad ~After Story~ which is right in between Clannad and Kanon thus far...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
grandjedi6 said:
What exactly did you like about Avatar? It might help narrow down the mountain of results you'll get. In particular, what kind of humor?

You know I'm not sure what it was that got me. Might just be the whole group of youngins saving the world, emotional conflict, good amounts of humour with (what I thought) was good action (one thing that drove me crazy about Ranma was like... the first 5 episodes had well done animations/fight scenes, then everything after was just random blurry combat). The story was pretty ace too.

rykomatsu said:
On that note, AIR and Clannad too....AIR i'd easily rank above Kanon...Clannad a bit down the scale from Kanon...there's also Clannad ~After Story~ which is right in between Clannad and Kanon thus far...

Kanon was one of the last Anime I saw before I moved out (around the time I stopped watching religiously) - but I haven't seen AIR and Clannad - right now I am looking at Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - seems pretty interesting, anyone know anything about that?

Kinitari said:
You know I'm not sure what it was that got me. Might just be the whole group of youngins saving the world, emotional conflict, good amounts of humour with (what I thought) was good action (one thing that drove me crazy about Ranma was like... the first 5 episodes had well done animations/fight scenes, then everything after was just random blurry combat). The story was pretty ace too.

You'll like Yu Yu Hakusho :)

grandjedi6

Kinitari said:

Sounds like any shonen :lol

right now I am looking at Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - seems pretty interesting, anyone know anything about that?

oh its just one of the best animes to be released in years. Nothing too special
WATCH IT NOAWZ!

Dali

light hearted with Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements are great. But I'll take some serious Drama if it's worth it.

Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra

I will keep recommending it in these threads until others take up the battle cry. It's straight up sci fi and not that light-hearted, but you should still watch it.

Kinitari said:
Watch History's Greatest Disciple: Kenichi after Toward the Terra.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dali said:
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra
Toward the Terra

I will keep recommending it in these threads until others take up the battle cry. It's straight up sci fi and not that light-hearted, but you should still watch it.

I put it on my list.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kinitari said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - seems pretty interesting, anyone know anything about that?

TTGL? The one with robots, drills and faces? Never heard of it.

GO WATCH IT YOU MORAN

Dali

Kinitari said:
I put it on my list.
Stick with it. You may not like the first couple of episodes, but it gets good really quick. It also has the most awesome (and cheap/easy) of character growth mechanics: the time skip. So you've got three generations of heroes linked by one main hero by the end of the series.

grandjedi6 said:
The only real flaws were that not everyone knew that you could vote for movies so they are underrated.

That and Gurren had like 2 episodes out when voting went down. Shit totally deserves the top spot.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:
NeoGAF Top Anime List --RESULTS--

It's actually a pretty good top 20 the forum made. The only real flaws were that not everyone knew that you could vote for movies so they are underrated.
That actually is a pretty good top 20 in general. Maybe not so much the order of things, but those are all big time things worthy of those spots. And even for the things I don't really actually like (such as Eva and Akira), they're at least warranted as part of a "who's who" of anime.

And even though it's over a year old, it's not like much on that level has come out since then.

Except maaaaaaybe Kaiba...

7Th

Off-Topic Discussion - Anime and Manga Recommendation

Some recent and enjoyable adventure shows with decent pacing and animation are
DO IT
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
DO IT
, Eureka Seven and Fullmetal Alchemist.

MetatronM said:

Not like GAF watched it, anyway.

Slavik81

I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist or Gurren Lagann.

grandjedi6 said:
NeoGAF Top Anime List --RESULTS--

It's actually a pretty good top 20 the forum made. The only real flaws were that not everyone knew that you could vote for movies so they are underrated.
That's a fantastic top-5 list. NeoGAF has good taste. I wouldn't change it even one bit.
5-10 list is pretty good and 11-15 is pretty terrible, though. The quality of the list declines sharply at 5-show intervals. XD

My definition of 'good taste' is 'agreeing with me'. :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Slavik81 said:
5-10 list is pretty good and 11-15 is pretty terrible, though. The quality of the list declines sharply at 5-show intervals. XD

My definition of 'good taste' is 'agreeing with me'. :p
11-15 has quite possibly the best series of the 21st century (so far), either the second or third best series of 2004 (depends on my mood), an overrated Miyazaki film, an overrated Otomo film, and the best series of 2005.

Looks more or less fine to me (gotta expect the overrated things to show up). :D

16-20 is also a really good block with the best Shounen Jump series of all time, the best directed Miyazaki film, an old-school-ish nod (with an excellent soundtrack), the best series of 2007, and the oft-overlooked Planetes. Personally, 5-10 seems like the overall weakest block in the top 20 (but even then, it still has Berserk, Kenshin, and Ippo...hard to argue with those).

MetatronM said:
11-15 has quite possibly the best series of the 21st century (so far), either the second or third best series of 2004 (depends on my mood), an overrated Miyazaki film, an overrated Otomo film, and the best series of 2005.

bububu Monster didn't come out in 2005.

No really, that top 20 is remarkably good and it doesn't matter if you disagree with however many entries, because that's rather the point.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
Sounds like you need a healthy dose of One Piece!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
I watched 90 sum odd eps of one piece (I know only the tip of the iceberg) and there were parts of it that i truly enjoyed, but unless it gets a LOT better its a bit over rated. Even if it does get a lot better its way too long at this point. Just my 2 zennies.

On topic- I guess I would suggest Cowboy Bebop, yu yu hakusho, Full metal alchemist and the like.

rykomatsu

MetatronM said:
And even though it's over a year old, it's not like much on that level has come out since then.

Natsume Yuujincho
Tytania (admittedly, this one is probably because I've been longing for a space opera lol)
Wagaya no Oinarisama

Easily better than Azumanga or One Piece

Kinitari said:
Alright, quick rundown of the situation - I used to watch Anime a lot, a LOT when I was younger, I've seen most of the staples of the past (Ranma, Maison Ikkoku, Chobits, Gundam Wing, Full Metal panic and a crap load of other crap I don't remember the names of) - anyway I haven't really kept up with Anime for a long long time. Now I want to get back into it, and so does the girlfriend.

Here are the real questions.

1. After just watching Avatar...
Stopped reading right there. AVATAR:TLA ISN'T ANIME.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DENNOU COIL IS THE BEST ANIME EVER.

YOU SHOULD WATCH IT.

THE CAPSLOCK MAKES MY POST MORE NOTICEABLE.

grandjedi6

Firestorm said:
2e24cbt.jpg

FootNinja said:
I watched 90 sum odd eps of one piece (I know only the tip of the iceberg) and there were parts of it that i truly enjoyed, but unless it gets a LOT better its a bit over rated. Even if it does get a lot better its way too long at this point. Just my 2 zennies.
1zb7121.gif

Honestly One Piece does lose a little in the manga-to-anime conversion (mostly because of filler). Yet even then its regarded as the pinnacle of the shonen genre and good enough to get into overall top lists like the gaf one. And yes it does get a LOT better. The best thing about One Piece is that it constantly improves. Which is a godsend these days with all these series slowly disappointing everyone.

rykomatsu

grandjedi6 said:
Honestly One Piece does lose a little in the manga-to-anime conversion (mostly because of filler). Yet even then its regarded as the pinnacle of the shonen genre and good enough to get into overall top lists like the gaf one. And yes it does get a LOT better. The best thing about One Piece is that it constantly improves. Which is a godsend these days with all these series slowly disappointing everyone.

It's regarded as the "pinnacle" of shonen genre because it's popular. Popular != good. It just means that in one way or another, it's easily accessible to viewing for a wide audience, whether it be by a wide selection of fansubs, heavy marketting by publishers, etc.

Masked Man

I said wow
Full Metal Alchemist was the first anime to which I was introduced, so it has a special place in my heart. :D It has my highest recommendation. But, as it has been mentioned, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is ridiculously awesome, too.

grandjedi6

Regulus Tera said:
yea avatar is better than anime

OH SNAP
qxl5dd.gif

rykomatsu said:
It's regarded as the "pinnacle" of shonen genre because it's popular. Popular != good. It just means that in one way or another, it's easily accessible to viewing for a wide audience, whether it be by a wide selection of fansubs, heavy marketting by publishers, etc.
Pinnacle -- the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development

It is popular but its also one of the best (coughbestcough).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
rykomatsu said:
How about the pinnacle of the DBZ genre?

I'd say that's not completely inaccurate.

Firestorm

FootNinja said:
I watched 90 sum odd eps of one piece (I know only the tip of the iceberg) and there were parts of it that i truly enjoyed, but unless it gets a LOT better its a bit over rated. Even if it does get a lot better its way too long at this point. Just my 2 zennies
The first 20 episodes of One Piece is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen. If you're at episode 90, you haven't even hit the bulk of the first major arc yet. You just got past the intros =) Actually, you're just 3 episodes away from the beginning of something amazing.

smurfx

get some go again
watch black lagoon if you want a real good action anime. also watch serei no moribito and The Twelve Kingdoms.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
The first 20 episodes of One Piece is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen. If you're at episode 90, you haven't even hit the bulk of the first major arc yet. You just got past the intros =) Actually, you're just 3 episodes away from the beginning of something amazing.
that would make One piece a hard to recommend anime, wouldn't it? 100 eps to the first major arc?

Also, you've just convinced me to start back watching you tricky trickster. : (

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
this is my obligatory "Watch Kino's Journey" post. seriously, i have NEVER had anyone watch it who didn't love it afterwards.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
grandjedi6 said:
Pinnacle -- the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development

It is popular but its also one of the best (coughbestcough).

Yeah, but, Yakitate!! Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom