• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Religion: The most under-rated band in the history of humankind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
BadReligion_lippu2.jpg

"Bad Religion: The most under-rated band in the history of humankind?"
aka
"The Bad Religion Appreciation Thread"

So don't answer the question. :p

Here's a band who's blessed us with their music for a quarter of a century that still continues to rock but you still never hear much about them in the mainstream media.

Muchmusic doesn't even have them in their artist database for instance. I've never heard them on commercial radio, and only once on XM and once on Sirrius (and I listen to either for around 3 hours a week).

Yet at the same time the band has millions of fans, nearly everyone has heard of them, and their albums sell pretty well despite the lack of coverage, heck, I don't think they've had print, radio or TV ads to promote their CDs, have they?

Anyways, to all appreciators, what is your most favourite BR album? I vote for Suffer.

Oh and to make this appreciation thread complete, here is a pic of the band:

badreligion_full.jpg

Greg reminds me of Ron McLean... :p

a11704.jpg

Sweet poster

BADRELIGION.jpg

gregg4.jpg

Yeah!!

badreligion9142004ed7516x24.gif

Check out this interview with the band way back in 1983 and they were still in highschool! Pretty interesting!
http://www.yogies-crossbuster.de/br83.htm

DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THE BAND, I KNOW YOU'RE STILL IN SCHOOL, ARE YOU HEADING FOR AN OUTSIDE CAREER?

Greg: For me music is a 'hobby' it's a real important hobby and my only musical outlet is BAD RELIGION so all my creativity goes in the band.
Brett: To me my whole purpose of working is so I can support myself and thus be able to be in a band yet not have to rely on it for money. Therefore we can play whatever we want.
Greg: I want to continue with this band as long as we can. If anything ever happened to it I'd continue with music. As far as I can see right now, I'll always continue with this band cos there's no reason to stop. I can't forsee any problems. Brett and I always fight but that doesn't mean anything. The bands not gonna breakup.
Brett: We hate each other, that's why we love each other, that's why we'll have to kill each other.

P.S. answer the question and I'll...uh...rape your virginity. Yeah that's right.

Tamanon

Banned
I can definitely see being underappreciated. But I don't think they're in it for the money at all, I mean half of them are college professors:p More people should know of the musical and lyrical genius that is Bad Religion though.

Suffer was amazing, but my personal favorite album is Recipe for Hate. Skyscraper is one of the most energetic and thought-provoking songs ever.

Come let us make bricks and burn them hard, we'll build a city.......

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I like everything up until Generator or so... they kind of lost me with the overdone ooh ahhh choruses. They always had them, well almost always, but that's when it started bugging me. Their No Control tour kicked ass, one of my favorite shows ever. Get Into the Unknown for an interesting look at what direction they might have gone off in.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
Really, all thier albums are great except for New America and Nosubstance...and even those 2 albums have a couple of kickass songs. BR=very underrated.

I can't even pick a favorite album..every time I do it doesn't take long before another one becomes my favorite :lol Right now I'm really into Against the Grain yet again...

My favorite BR song of all time will always be generator though. Best song opening ever!

"Like a rock
Like a planet
Like a fuckin atom bomb!
I remain unpreturbed by the joy and the madness that I encounter everywhere I turn."

Doesn't even need to fucking rhyme! Thier lyrics inspire you to think more than any other band IMO.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
can i turn this into a punk rock underrated thread in general?

good riddance rocks
39528.jpg

Raistlin

Underrated in what way? Punk - well real punk - isn't very mainstream, so obviously they don't get much press in the usual circuits.

However, they are almost universally credited as being one of, if not the, most important and influential bands from the 'second-wave' of punk (basically post Romones / Sex Pistols) by those 'in the know'.

Their influence is also achnowledged to crossover into alternative and rock - many musicians list them as a huge influence (go talk to Eddie Veddar).

Tamanon

Banned
3kuSaS said:
Really, all thier albums are great except for New America and Nosubstance...and even those 2 albums have a couple of kickass songs. BR=very underrated.

I can't even pick a favorite album..every time I do it doesn't take long before another one becomes my favorite :lol Right now I'm really into Against the Grain yet again...

My favorite BR song of all time will always be generator though. Best song opening ever!

"Like a rock
Like a planet
Like a fuckin atom bomb!
I remain unpreturbed by the joy and the madness that I encounter everywhere I turn."

Doesn't even need to fucking rhyme! Thier lyrics inspire you to think more than any other band IMO.

I love the way they play Generator live usually. Tested has a great version of it. Starting off a cappella then busting into the song itself.....Beautifully done.

spliced

Definitely one of the best bands ever.

The first song I remember hearing was A Walk on the radio station I listened to and I liked the song but for some reason their name didn't stick with me, probably because it was the only song of theirs I heard on the radio. Somehow I heard "Punk Rock Song" and "21st Century Digital Boy" on the interent and was liking them, then when The Process Of Belief came out I heard Sorrow on the radio I got the album and again loved it and started digging into BR past stuff and found gold.

Raistlin

Man ... you're making me feel old if A Walk is the first song you heard from them ...

crap ... my birthday is in less than a month :(

Tamanon

Banned
Onix said:
Man ... you're making me feel old if A Walk is the first song you heard from them ...

crap ... my birthday is in less than a month :(

To be fair, A Walk was how I was introduced to them back in '94. Picked up Gray Race and then DEVOURED everything else.

Greg's solo effort is also pretty cool, American Lesion. Only had one album that I know of.

I <3 Piano version of Cease

Raistlin

When I met Greg, I had him sign my American Lesion t-shirt :lol Great album.

By chance, have you ever heard their third album? The one that was never rereleased by their label :D

Into The Unknown is ... interesting :)

I've never heard the followup EP, Back To The Known

White Man

Everything up to Recipe for Hate is good (minus the excellent No Control, Against the Grain, and Generator). Everything afterwards sounds like a decent Bad Religion cover band, except for the Gray Race, which sounds like babies being raped.

My thoughts on this matter should be clear :D

I'm seeing them on Nov 15
Anti-Flag is opening

w00t

I've heard 21st Century Digital Boy a few times on 102.1 The Edge in Toronto but only during the request hour, and The Empire Strikes First was used by FOX during the opening of the Sox/Yankess ALCS matchup last year :)

And a club in Waterloo also played 21st Century Digital Boy and like a whole 10 people looked like they knew what song it was!

I'm a relatively new BR fan though, who in the band has a PHD other then Greg?

FightyF

Banned
My bros got tix for the Nov 3 show...but I can't make it! ARGH!

And if they are reading this note that Pennywise won't be there, it'll be Anti-Flag instead. :p

Fight for Freeform said:
My bros got tix for the Nov 3 show...but I can't make it! ARGH!

And if they are reading this note that Pennywise won't be there, it'll be Anti-Flag instead. :p

I wish Pennywise was opening in Toronto

Last year it was Rise Against and the show was the night after the US election, lets just say there was a lot of Bush hating that night :D

I'm prolly one of the few who likes Process of Belief more than the rest of their catalog. I pretty much like it all*, though PoB is the CD most often in my player.

They're fucking awesome live!

* The Empire Strikes First is iffy tho...

Raistlin

White Man said:
Everything up to Recipe for Hate is good (minus the excellent No Control, Against the Grain, and Generator). Everything afterwards sounds like a decent Bad Religion cover band, except for the Gray Race, which sounds like babies being raped.

Their last couple of albums have had some pretty good songs.

FightyF

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
I've heard very little BR. What would you say is their definitive album?

You'll get a lot of disagreement over this. I say buy all of them. :p

You can check out some low quality full tracks on their site: http://www.badreligion.com/media/

http://www.badreligion.com/_depot/tmp/Generator.mp3

Like a Rock.
Like a Planet.
Like a Fucking Atom Bomb!

Hey this recording for Do What You Want is prolly from a Live Show:
http://www.badreligion.com/_depot/tmp/Do What You Want.mp3

Maybe the most hyperbolic thread title in the history of humankind ;)

But very solid band nonetheless.

edit: I actually like The New America a lot. No Substance andThe Grey Race are the mediocre ones to me.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Fight for Freeform said:
Bad Religion: The most under-rated band in the history of humankind?

Yes.

Seriously, I hate most second-wave punk bands like minor threat, NOFX, pennywise, etc (I hop off the punk bandwagon at about the Clash), but BR is excellent. Truly a great band.

FightyF

Banned
kablooey said:
Bad Religion is no Steely Dan, I must say.

gtfo.gif

Better late than never I guess :p

Hey BigJonsson post pics of the concert if you can, in this thread I guess. I'll see if my bros can get some vids from their phone. Man...I wish I could go. I mean, when's the next time they'll come back to Canada?

pnjtony

Speaking of Bad Religion I'm interviewing Pennywise on Nov 11th in Detroit. BR is headlining. Good times though, I haven't scored a press/photo pass since early 2003.

Gotta love the fact that Greg Graffin holds a masters degree in geology from UCLA and a Ph.D. in zoology from Cornell University. Fucking badass.

kIdMuScLe

Never heard them in commercial **mainstream** radio eh? They always play Bad Religion down here in Los Angeles. KROQ 106.7 not as much as before cuz they haven't released a new album in a while.

So I saw them in Toronto tonight

Fucking awesome set, played for 1 hour and 20 minutes!

Didn't play Stranger than Fiction though...do they ever play that anymore?

sirris

Cause I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy
I don't know how to live
but I got alot of toys
My daddys a lazy middle class intellectual
My mommys on valium
So ineffectual
Ain't life a mystery, yea!

....Ahh high school memories. Digital Boy was practically my theme song.

White Man

teruterubozu said:
Gotta love the fact that Greg Graffin holds a masters degree in geology from UCLA and a Ph.D. in zoology from Cornell University. Fucking badass.

Ice-T has a degree in philosophy. That's much cooler.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ahh, one of my favorite bands! So many incredible songs with some truly amazing lyrics.

Honestly, I love pretty much every album with "No Substance" probably being my least favorite. I doubt I could choose a single favorite album, but if I were to try, I might go with No Control...

"Seriously, I hate most second-wave punk bands like minor threat, NOFX, pennywise, etc (I hop off the punk bandwagon at about the Clash), but BR is excellent. Truly a great band."

I'm not sure I'd lump Minor Threat in with those "second-wave punk bands."

BlackMage

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
I'm trying to figure out who got owned here.

Does she have a webcam?

my sister in married, pregnant, and has a 1 year old. I'll put in a good word for you if you are still interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom