• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was this this best year for games ever?

It seems like it. I can't recall a year where there's been such a strong amount of deserving GOTY contenders. PC, console, there have been ultra refined, maybe even ground breaking titles in several genres. I haven't played all the ones I listed, but i've seen a good majority of people do enjoy them. While all of the below aren't GOTY titles, they are very solid. Several of them are some of the best games I've ever played.

I'm sure there are a bunch missing...

Half Life 2
Halo 2
Metriod Prime 2
UT2K4
Rome Total War (the best :D)
Pirates!
Ninja Gaiden
Rallisport Challenge
Burnout 3
Outrun 2
Metal gear Solid 3
World Of Warcraft
Tribes Vengance
Doom III
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Madden 2005
Fight Night 2004
Need For Speed Underground 2
Battlefield Vietnam
Call Of Duty: United Offensive
Street Fighter Aniversary
King Of Colloseum 2
Soldiers: Heros of WWII
The Sims 2
Hitman: Contracts

and a bunch of others I missed. I mean damn, thats pretty solid

Every year that goes by it seems like it's the "best year ever". I swear I've heard this phrase at least 3 other times/years this generation.

Not that I'm saying this year isn't the best...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Definitely the best holiday season ever (those who maintain 1998 trumps 2004's holiday season are obviously on heavy drugs), although the year taken as a whole had its lulls. More great games came out in the last three months of 2004 than some entire years combined.

For me it has been. Some of my favorite games of all time have come out this year. Half Life 2, Halo 2, World of Warcraft, Ninja Gaiden, Pirates!, and I'm hoping Star Wars KoTOR II finishes the year out right.

Amir0x

Banned
Top 5:

Metroid Prime 2
World of Warcraft
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Katamari Damacy
Half-Life 2

The rest:

Pirates!
Halo 2
MGS3
Burnout 3
Ninja Gaiden

Bat

Overrated year :p There are a bunch of excellent games, but they are all just more of the same...nothing revolutionary or anything of the sort. Compare that to 1998, where Half-Life, Zelda, and MGS were all much more important games than GTA:SA/HL2/Halo 2/MP2 etc.

Ironclad

Bat said:
Overrated year :p There are a bunch of excellent games, but they are all just more of the same...nothing revolutionary or anything of the sort. Compare that to 1998, where Half-Life, Zelda, and MGS were all much more important games than GTA:SA/HL2/Halo 2/MP2 etc.
I more or less AWTP

Where's the Pikmin 2 love? While it's being overshadowed by the end-of-the-year hype train, it's easily one of, if not THE best title of the year.

And yes, best year ever.

*Noel Coward Parody

The last 3 or 4 months has the most quality releases of any year in the history of gaming. There is seriously something for everyone.

Biff Hardbody said:
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Metriod Prime 2
UT2K4
Rallisport Challenge 2
Burnout 3
Outrun 2
Metal gear Solid 3
Tribes Vengance
Doom III
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Madden 2005
Need For Speed Underground 2
Battlefield Vietnam
Call Of Duty: United Offensive
The Sims 2
Hitman: Contracts
This was the best year for sequels.

AniHawk

I keep switching from 1998 to 2004. Right now I'm still on 1998's side. KOTOR II can change everything.

1998 had a bunch of CLASSICS. 2004 has a bunch of future classics, only probably two or three which will be remembered among the ranks of Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the original Metal Gear Solid.

Amir0x

Banned
N Coward Parody said:
Where's the Pikmin 2 love? While it's being overshadowed by the end-of-the-year hype train, it's easily one of, if not THE best title of the year.

And yes, best year ever.

*Noel Coward Parody

I totally temporarily forgot about Pikmin 2!

I actually agree with this, and would put Pikmin 2 in my top 5.

FightyF

Banned
kumanoki said:
Best year ever? Nah. I'm gonna go with 1990.

Care to share a list? I don't remember it being too great...I'll need my memory jogged.

That's arguable. I consider HL2 just as revolutionary as HL. Halo 2's online multiplayer has and will revolutionize online gaming forever (I'm sure it will influence how matchmaking software works). DOOM 3's engine will be a base engine for many future games. Heck...games like Psi-Ops and Katamari Damacy featured unique ideas executed perfectly...each one of those games just as innovative as (if not more than) Zelda: OoT.

Secondly, this year we have 5 times the number of great games...across all genres. So while in 98, fans of certain types of games had some fun, in 2004, all gamers had a handful of AAA titles to play with. Pick a genre like Sports, and you have Madden, ESPN NHL 2K5, and NBA 2K5. Pick racers and you have Burnout 3, Outrun 2, Rallisport 2 and NFS:U 2. In 98, things didn't look this hot for either genre.

It's a good point if you were to argue it's importance in gaming history, but not whether it was the best (both quality and quantity wise) for gaming.

Triumph

Banned
I stopped gaming as much as I had in past years and even I can't remember a better year.

Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, Half Life 2, GTA:SA, Pirates!, Katamari Damacy, Guilty Gear on xdude, and KOTOR II as the cherry on top. Hell of a year in my opinion.

And yes, I'm aware that some of you out there liked MGS3, Metroid Prime 2, and some other games I'm sure I've left off my list. I'm terribly sorry that you're offended.

snaildog

I do enjoy the games, but it's pretty sad that the whole list is made up of sequels (not sure about Rome: Total War?).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Short answer? No. And neither was 1998.

Long answer? IMO 2005 is shaping up to be better than 2004 and we aren't anywhere near E3 yet.

Resident Evil 4
Realda
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Warrior VIII (for everyone besides japan)
Tekken 5
Xenon launch
PSP launch
Ridge Racers
Elder Scrolls IV
Gran Turismo 4
Final Fantasy VII spin-offs (I'm sure at least 1 of them will be good)

There's a lot more to it than that list but you get the point. Last night, I compiled a list of about 50 games that I will be buying next year.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Bat said:

In terms of games that were released that were polished and incredible experiences, I'd have to slightly disagree. This year produced some of the most polished and fun titles ever (Half-Life 2, Halo 2, MP2, MGS3, etc etc). But, as you can tell from the list, mostly everything was a highly polished sequel of a breakthrough game released earlier that did more for the genre.

Triumph

Banned
Iceman said:
Far too few SEGA games to call this the best year evar.

P.S. Outrun 2 is HAWT.
Yeah, it's too bad that Sega doesn't make good games too often any more or they would have had a couple on the list.

Don't worry, I'm sure Shenmue 3: Search for Sailors will be coming to a Xenon near you soon.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
JC10001 said:
Short answer? No. And neither was 1998.

Long answer? IMO 2005 is shaping up to be better than 2004 and we aren't anywhere near E3 yet.

Resident Evil 4
Realda
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Warrior VIII (for everyone besides japan)
Tekken 5
Xenon launch
PSP launch
Ridge Racers
Elder Scrolls IV
Gran Turismo 4
Final Fantasy VII spin-offs (I'm sure at least 1 of them will be good)

There's a lot more to it than that list but you get the point. Last night, I compiled a list of about 50 games that I will be buying next year.

Don't forget the launch of the Phantom! It'll be out...sometime...next year....if it gets more money... :D

jumper

No Gamecube Love?

What about Pikmin 2, Paper Mario:TTYD, and Metroid Prime 2?

and I heard Mario Tennis is fun.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this has been said multiple times over the last few weeks..

not, it wasn't. the best year ever would be 1998.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Half-Life
Zelda: OoT
Baldur's Gate
MGS
Pokemon
Banjo Kazooie
Rogue Squadron
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Xenogears
Grim Fandango
Rainbow 6
Fallout 2
Tribes
Theif
Klonoa
Monster Rancher
Tactics Ogre
Tales of Destiny
Spyro the Dragon
Thunderforce V
Pazner Dragoon Saga
Starcraft
Breath of Fire III
Descent: Freespace

as you can see, this year isn't even close.

Top Bottom