• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accident - I burn my wii

ggd210

Hello!!

I'm from mexico, and I bring my wii to netherlands, and then... I connected to the energy plug... and after 4 minutes..... the Wii AC Addapter was burned!!!

What is the best for me to do?
to buy an european, or american ac adapter?

thanks for read, and waiting for help!!!

ggd (worried!)

TEH-CJ

Banned
ggd210 said:
Hello!!

I'm from mexico, and I bring my wii to netherlands, and then... I connected to the energy plug... and after 4 minutes..... the Wii AC Addapter was burned!!!

ggd (worried!)

I'm sorry to hear that buddy :(

i think your best option is to buy a european ac adapter, ill do some research and ill let you know for sure tho.

I can already imagine the replies this thread will get.:lol

As for your problem, buying a european adapter would probably work though I have no idea where you could get one.

John_Goodman.gif

Saitou

Banned
ggd210 said:
Hello!!

ggd (worried!)
VOLTAGE

LEARN IT

Ha! Ha! Estoy posteando en GAF!

I'm sure you can buy a power brick in the appropiate voltage, so no worries there.

Uh-huh....

Oh right I see what you mean.

A similar thing happened to me when I moved from the US to the UK (my PS2 exploded). You'll probably have to get a new console (sadly) but the good news is that hopefully having learned your lesson you won't burn anything else (lost an Xbox as well, so in total loss two systems because I misjudged the voltage twice).

test_account

XP-39C²
Did you really get it to run for 4 minutes? I thought these things broke the second you turned the device on with wrong voltage. Atleast that was PC powersupplies does (i learned that the hard way many years ago hehe :()

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh dear.

Countries have different voltages. Electronic appliances prefer the correct voltages or it might fry.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Netherlands uses 230V. Since the Wii PSU doesn't support multi-voltages, trying to connect a North American Wii (110-120V) to the Dutch power network will make it go boom. Pray it's just your PSU which got fried and not the Wii itself. You should be able to find a European Wii PSU at toy stores such as Intertoys and Bart Smit.

Biolink

You be screwed man.They always say that if you are planning on bringing any Electronic devices with you to another country,bring a power converter.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Since no one has offered you the real solution, let me be the first to help you. Ice will not fix the problem. Sure, it may feel a little cooler, but you need some real relief. It's going to take a good cream to help with those burns. Also, avoid touching your Wii for at least 4 weeks. I know this could prove difficult, but you'll only be hurting it more if you do. Lastly, NEVER plug your Wii where it doesn't belong. Some areas require special privileges and are exit only.

besada

Banned
Tempy said:
Oh dear.

Countries have different voltages. Electronic appliances prefer the correct voltages or it might fry.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Netherlands uses 230V. Since the Wii PSU doesn't support multi-voltages, trying to connect a North American Wii (110-120V) to the Dutch power network will make it go boom. Pray it's just your PSU which got fried and not the Wii itself. You should be able to find a European Wii PSU at toy stores such as Intertoys and Bart Smit.

There should be some sort of way to reward posters who are actually helpful. You are my new shordurpersav.

Bildi

You should buy an adaptor that suits the voltage in the country you are in. Netherlands works on 230 volts so you'll need a 230 volt Wii adaptor. I imagine in Mexico you have around 110 or 120 volts so that is why the adaptor fried.

Rather than buy two adaptors (one 230v and one 110v), an alternative is to buy a 110/120 volt adaptor if you intend to use the Wii in Mexico again. Then buy a step-down converter which you can plug into the 230 volt socket in the Netherlands and it will convert 230v to 110 volts which can be used by your Wii's 110v adaptor.

clav

besada said:
There should be some sort of way to reward posters who are actually helpful. You are my new shordurpersav.
Buy an american adapter, and a powerdown transformer for the outlet, to see if the Wii will ever power up.

4 Minutes... dude. It may be fucked.

Call Nintendo and say it blew up on you.

You burned your what? LOL

Just kidding. Anyway, when your in a foreign country and you bring something that needs to be plugged into the wall you need a Voltage Converter, or with game systems, you just need to buy the AC Adaptor in that country.

LMAO Ragnarok lol

~Scott

minus_273

Banned
test_account said:
Did you really get it to run for 4 minutes? I thought these things broke the second you turned the device on with wrong voltage. Atleast that was PC powersupplies does (i learned that the hard way many years ago hehe :()

i made the mistake with a game gear in 1993. It actualy ran for a while then made a high pitch noise and burned out never to turn on again.

Rayne.S

Banned
ggd210 said:
Hello!!

ggd (worried!)

Trust me and just do what i suggest. Put the AC adapter in the freezer and keep it there for over 2 hours. In the meantime buy a stepdown-converter from "Handyman", they are littered around the netherlands. Replug and try again, if failes, contact me @ http://www.digifan.nl/web/index.php?page=contact ( Peter )

I'll hook you up.

Linkhero1

Get a new AC adapter or fix the broken one, and I suggest buying a new one because if you fix the burned one it'll smell forever. You're supposed to buy a converter so it wouldn't burn.

test_account

XP-39C²
minus_273 said:
i made the mistake with a game gear in 1993. It actualy ran for a while then made a high pitch noise and burned out never to turn on again.

Ah ok, i didnt know that was possible, thanks for confirming it :) Seems that some power supplies are stronger than others.

Boken

Banned
I'm not sure what it means... but I like dinosaurs so I think it needs to be said again.
disappeared said:

@above. I suppose this is a classic example of not reading the entire post.

ParticleReality said:
Question, how do you go from Mexico to the Netherlands? Wouldn't the logical choice here be to go to the US? I mean, its closer.

You know, not all Mexicans are running across the border barefoot and looking for jobs at McMicky Ds. Some -- a lot -- are educated and want to travel, see the world.

crazyscreenwriter said:
You know, not all Mexicans are running across the border barefoot and looking for jobs at McMicky Ds. Some -- a lot -- are educated and want to travel, see the world.

I wasn't even getting at that. It just seems like an odd place to go considering how close you are to the US.

ParticleReality said:
I wasn't even getting at that. It just seems like an odd place to go considering how close you are to the US.

Oh, okay. Thought you meant something else. Forgiven.

Besides, Netherlands is cool. Cooler than (inhales) some other place...

Top Bottom