• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison: Non-gamers See Controllers as live Guns

ZeroTolerance

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33508

Phil Harrison, outgoing exec at Sony's worldwide studios, and Peter Molyneux, boss of Microsoft's Lionhead studio, have both agreed that home console controllers are too complex and put new users off playing videogames.

"You hand somebody a game controller and it's like you've handed them a live gun or a hand grenade with the pin taken out," commented Harrison during GDC last week.

"We don't use half the buttons on the 360 controller,” admitted Molyneux, "simply because the whole dream I've got is that someone will sit down to play Fable 2 who has never played a game before and they can play with someone who's played games the whole of their lives.

"I wish there wasn't so many buttons on the controller. You have to approach that in design terms by thinking you've only got one button," he added.

Harrison praised Nintendo's Wiimote for being a "non-game centric device" which has bought an element of "democratisation" to controlling videogames. He was also impressed with Apple's iPhone for appealing to a user's natural instincts.

"I saw this first hand a few weeks ago where a two year old was playing with an iPhone and he knows how to get the pictures up of mum and dad. The two year-old then intuitively thought that all electronic devices worked like that," said Harrison. "He's pressing the TV to change channels."

"He's right and the rest of us are wrong – that should be applied universally. Apple should be applauded for that innovation," he added.

Old ?

He is spot on every fucking time man,
well except for Lair, but that does not count since it was really his doing
, but the guy will be greatly missed

Zaptruder

Banned
Press the TV to change fucking channels? And the two-year-old is right?

Bet the two year old is right about shittin' his pants too.

shifty100

Banned
rbgxzn.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
If people can learn how to operate a cellphone then there's no reason why they can't learn how to use a controller.

PacoDG

Simple controls are not hardcore enough for me.

Honestly though, I can't imagine playing some games without a crapload of buttons, because in the end I just guess that you would be faced with either limited instant character options in game and/or being forced to use a combinations of the few buttons you have.

I do agree that it is off putting for a non-gamer, but that is why I have my Wii, for the other people that come to my house.

Aeris130

Kuroyume said:
If people can learn how to operate a cellphone then there's no reason why they can't learn how to use a controller.

Exept phones and cars are simply a means to an end (like driving to work in order to earn money so you can live), unlike games.

Haunted

He's falling right into the company line.

If he'd work for Nintendo, that is. Very interesting development there. Are we finally seeing a glimpse of the true Phil Harrison and his opinions?

edit: and just for the record, I totally agree with Harrison and Molyneux (and by extension, Iwata and Miyamoto) here.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Felix Lighter said:
For some reason that picture angers me. What has just happened to her? It better be something incredibly life changing. The context may change my perspective.

i made that gif out of a MADtv (or was it SNL?) episode, its mocking the girl on american idol that cried when sanjaya singed :lol

Kuroyume said:
Cellphones and computers aren't typically associated with slackers, social deviants and truancy. Or it could be that it just requires a different set of cognitive tools than watching film or reading books and that is a step that intimidates most.

Spoit

Monkeylord said:
What the hell is up with the word "democratisation" appearing everywhere!?
Election year?

Also, on a tangential note, have nintendo replaced all the marketing execs that left when they moved yet?

PacoDG said:
Honestly though, I can't imagine playing some games without a crapload of buttons, because in the end I just guess that you would be faced with either limited instant character options in game and/or being forced to use a combinations of the few buttons you have.

Bullshit.

More context sensitive interactions requires less buttons to operate things (like you dont need seperate cover / jump buttons in GeOW, because you cant do both at the same time - its context sensitive)

More intelligent design, requires less buttons to operate things (like how most console FPSs use a weapons wheel to get around there not being 10 number keys for quick weapon changes as there are on a PC)

There's an industry wide move towards fewer buttons being used, but being used more intelligently, because its a good idea. I don't understand how anyone could argue that more buttons to press automatically equals better outside of some kind of elitist learning curve that prevents anyone being any good at a game without a significant investment of time just to learn the fundamentals.

Would Zelda OoT really have been better off with a shoehorned in jump button? Really? Really?

soqquatto

I really hope that we're not going back to NES-like controller and that we're not moving toward non-controllers like the wii remote. they still have to convince me that "games for everyone" are everything we always wanted, too. I'm more than happy to play soul calibur with a dual shock or assassin's creed (eek!) with the 360's controller.

besides, the "only one button" didn't really work for gamecube either. that pad was lousy AND it clearly did not have enough buttons (like the Z button failure clearly showed). honest, IF I want to cater to moms and dads, one button and "reassuring" controller is the way to go, but should I, really?

anyway, the 4-old son of my desk neighbour routinely plays with pacman CE and uses the x360 pad with no effort whatsoever. really young kids are a lot smarter and learn a lot faster than people might think. phil harrison's example is not really saying much.

pswii60

Crushed said:
Are we sure that Harrison isn't going to Nintendo instead of Infogrames?
I can't imagine he'd be allowed to go straight to a competitor. Probably a clause in his contract that prevents him from doing so for a couple of years or something.

Rubbish. I've handed people grenades with the pin taken out and they react nothing like how they do when I hand them a controller.

Haunted

MrNyarlathotep said:
There's an industry wide move towards fewer buttons being used, but being used more intelligently, because its a good idea. I don't understand how anyone could argue that more buttons to press automatically equals better outside of some kind of elitist learning curve that prevents anyone being any good at a game without a significant investment of time just to learn the fundamentals.

Would Zelda OoT really have been better off with a shoehorned in jump button? Really? Really?
QFT

20070608.jpg

Looks like we're truly seeing the first reactions to the impact Nintendo's new strategy and the Wiimote has had on the industry.
nightsremote.gif

:D

Aeris130

soqquatto said:
honest, IF I want to cater to moms and dads, one button and "reassuring" controller is the way to go, but should I, really?

Nope, only people who invest their millions into the industry for the sole reason of turning profits should care about this. Which they do.

bud

Haunted One said:
Looks like we're truly seeing the first reactions to the impact Nintendo's new strategy and the Wiimote has had on the industry.[/IMG]

:D

if only you could play games with it

PacoDG said:
Simple controls are not hardcore enough for me.

I do agree that it is off putting for a non-gamer, but that is why I have my Wii, for the other people that come to my house.

Virtua Fighter completely craps all over that opinion. 3 buttons and the most complex fighting system in gaming.

R0nn

soqquatto said:
anyway, the 4-old son of my desk neighbour routinely plays with pacman CE and uses the x360 pad with no effort whatsoever. really young kids are a lot smarter and learn a lot faster than people might think. phil harrison's example is not really saying much.

Oh sure, but how many buttons does Pac Man CE utilize? Exactly, just one: the left analog stick.

Haunted One said:
Exactly. Two buttons and one wheel.

Edit:Exactly. Non-threatening design, fits easily into one hand. Only has two buttons and one wheel.
I said "+". It's the combo that's a great thing. Nice try though.

PacoDG

MrNyarlathotep said:
Bullshit.

More context sensitive interactions requires less buttons to operate things (like you dont need seperate cover / jump buttons in GeOW, because you cant do both at the same time - its context sensitive)

More intelligent design, requires less buttons to operate things (like how most console FPSs use a weapons wheel to get around there not being 10 number keys for quick weapon changes as there are on a PC)

Not bullshit I say. I agree if it is within the context of a game to use less buttons, more power to it.

I wouldn't say "more intelligent design" requires less buttons.. I would say "different design." On the FPS comment, I remember Turok I believe, was one of the first games to implement the changing of weapons by holding down one button and then using the analog stick to pick a weapon that came up with 8 choices (instead of scrolling). While that was a great idea, it still sucked that you had to stop gameplay to pick another weapon. Lack of buttons caused this, and I think is why that current popular FPS only have the person carrying just a weapon or two (playing devils advocate to myself, I rather only have just a couple of weapons to choose from, but maybe that is because I am already used to it since it is almost standard now).

Ocarina of Time could have been better off with a jump button. Great games like allow/force you to just adjust and move on though, I can't say that it is better.

WoWcraft

Banned
With this, it's scary what the industry will become. One of our favourite figureheads is going that way of non-gaming and it's scary.

I don't give a crap about expanding the market. I don't give a crap about non-gamers.
I say if they can't play it our way, then don't play. Leave our game to be designed as games are meant to be.

ToxicAdam

This reminds me of the late 70's, where established rock bands start to incorporate disco into their music.

Waggle is the new disco.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Zaptruder said:
Press the TV to change fucking channels? And the two-year-old is right?

Bet the two year old is right about shittin' his pants too.
WoWcraft said:
What the heck, Phil?

What's wrong with you?

This is all wrong.
krypt0nian said:
Fuck casuals. They can't master a controller, they can play Bejeweled.
Zaptruder said:
I have a perfect game for casuals. It requires all of 3 buttons.

Tetris.

Stick to your tetris assholes.
krypt0nian said:
Enjoy your carnival games.
WoWcraft said:
With this, it's scary what the industry will become. One of our favourite figureheads is going that way of non-gaming and it's scary.

I don't give a crap about expanding the market. I don't give a crap about non-gamers.
I say if they can't play it our way, then don't play. Leave our game to be designed as games are meant to be.

guys seriously calm down

take deep breaths

running water

PacoDG

brain_stew said:
Virtua Fighter completely craps all over that opinion. 3 buttons and the most complex fighting system in gaming.
One game examples don't crap all over that opinion.... actually, a full list of games can't crap over the opinion. Because having options is awesome. That same controller for the game that only uses 3 buttons can also be used for games that use a shitload of buttons. Where as a controller that only uses 3 buttons forces all games made for that controller in mind to be limited.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Suddenly it all makes sense. He was fired because an unfortunate head injury caused him to go all waggle.

Xapati

Aeris130 said:
Exept phones and cars are simply a means to an end (like driving to work in order to earn money so you can live), unlike games.

Don't tell me cars are just a means to an end. They are far more than that.

Haunted One said:
Exactly. Non-threatening design, fits easily into one hand. Only has two buttons and one wheel.

And maybe two buttons by the thumb. Oh oh and lets put one button infront of the wheel and one behind it for faster scrolling.

Top Bottom