• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who have both the Xbox One and PS4: Which controller you prefer?

Vinc

At first I wasn't a big fan of the Xbox One controller, but it's growing on me. At first I absolutely loved the PS4 controller, and I still do, but the more I use it, the less impressed I become with its build quality. I don't have the sticks peeling off problem, but playing Dead Nation made my R1 button start to stick.

Overall, I still prefer the PS4 controller by a little bit, but I really like the Xbox One controller now.

fvng

Hope anyone that responds to this thread can include a picture of their controllers so we know they're not pushing agenda for their console of choice

Darkangel

Ergonomics wise I think the Xbox controller comes out on top. PS4 controller has better feeling sticks though and more features.

They're both great.

Vinc

Hope anyone that responds to this thread can include a picture of their controllers so we know they're not pushing agenda for their console of choice

It's kinda sad if we have to do that now. Have we really reached that point?

FiggyCal

Banned

I agree when it comes to these "which is better" type threads. But we can't expect that to happen.

Xbox one, I love the material, size and grip of the sticks and I love the triggers. The dual shock 4 is a very close second though, I just hate the material of the sticks.

nym

Neo Member
I prefer the PS4's controller, although the xbone's is a pretty solid controller as well. It boils down to the secondary triggers on the PS4's being more comfortable than the xbone's shoulder buttons.

Vinc

Ergonomics wise I think the Xbox controller comes out on top. PS4 controller has better feeling sticks though and better features.

They're both great.

I actually have to say my opinion is pretty much the exact opposite.

Ergonomics: PS4 > Xbox One
Sticks texture/feel: Xbox One > PS4
Sticks tension: PS4 > Xbox One
Face buttons: PS4 > Xbox One
Triggers: Xbox One > PS4
Bumpers: PS4 > Xbox One
Dpad: PS4 = Xbox One

I prefer the PS4 controller. The light bar gets a bit bothersome but it's cool. The Xbox logo i find shines in my face.

I love the in-controller speaker on the controller too! It was my favorite feature from the wii-mote

Barzul

This should be interesting, I only own the X1. Have yet to try out the DS4, but I'll eventually own a PS4 so it'll be good to know what to expect.

Xbox One, slight preference. Better battery life, and the bumpers are pure bliss now that I'm used to them. DS4 is a huge improvement from DS3. Touchpad is useful if for nothing else as a big easy to press button. Lightbar is a total waste though. Can't go wrong with either controller really.

I like the Xbox One controller better because of the sticks. If the PS4 sticks were a hard material I would probably prefer the PS4 controller.

ShadowLag

PS4 advantage: smoother overall grip, comfy triggers and shoulder buttons, superior D-Pad again, share button is mega convenient and well-placed for those that use it, touchpad is convenient and almost mouse-like where it is supported, headphone jack is great for when you don't have speakers or need to mute them, comfortable for a long time

XBone advantage: tighter sticks (imo), tighter/more accurate triggers (imo), better for larger hands, buttons have nicer "click" feedback to them, overall build feels more durable and rugged

I give the edge to PS4 for comfort and more features. Both are great, I wish the best parts of both could be combined into one controller, but alas.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't have an Xbox One, but I bought an XBone controller for PC (I do have a PS4). I definitely prefer Xbox One. I just don't like the PlayStation controller's stick layout and never will.

I honestly like the Wii U Gamepad more than both though. It's big but extremely comfortable.

Vinc

Really? I'm impressed they finally got it right. Been itching to get my hands on a bone pad and try it out, the sticks look really nice.

I really like the feel of the Xbox One d-pad, maybe even a bit more than the PS4's. I just find it a bit hard to use effectively due to its position on the controller. The Xbox controller's shape makes it a bit hard to use the primary input on the lower left imo.

PARANO1A

Definitely Xbox controller, but I'm really impressed at how much the DS4 improved over DS3. That's one of the worst controllers I've used for the type of games released in my opinion.

One thing I can't overstate... I have a launch One and my batteries are still working. I find that amazing.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I actually have to say my opinion is pretty much the exact opposite.

Ergonomics: PS4 > Xbox One

For me:

Ergonomics: PS4 > XBone
Sticks texture/feel: XBone > PS4
Stick Tension: XBone > PS4
Face buttons: PS4 > XBone
Triggers: PS4 > XBone
Bumpers: PS4 > XBone
Dpad: PS4 > XBone

edit: sorry, I don't have the XBone, I just played it at my buddy's place

It's though to pick right now. Really like the trigger rumble in the Xbone controller and really hate the light bar on the PS4 controller. Now if I can dim it like yosp said on twitter to the point it doesn't light my room up it be equal.

Gotta say the battery life on the PS4 controller is terrible. Hope the light bar dimming helps that. Also I always like how Xbox 360/Xbone let me use my own AA. Rechargeable batteries for the win. Really hate how WiiU/PS4 got away from using AA batteries.

Doffen

DS4 is a solid imporvment all over the board. So much better than DS3 in my opinion.

While the Xbox One controller is a stealth improvement. You don't really feel the true difference before you try to jump back to 360. You just can't handle it anymore.

My favorite is the Xbox One controller, but that is more because I enjoy the formfactor and layout.

Sean

Banned
I prefer the Xbox One controller cause of the sticks and triggers. It's also got way better battery life (4-5x longer) and no annoying lightbar reflecting in my TV screen.

Sony has made huge strides though, DS4 is a damn fine controller.

Rival

Gold Member
I've been playing a ton of titanfall and love the xbox controller! I also love the ps4's as well. I feel like the xbox one controller feels a little flimsier but I like the sticks better. I like the grips more on ps4. Either way both controllers are way better than the ps3's !

Jarnet87

Xbox One controller is better. Went to a friends house to hang out and he had just gotten Titanfall. Picked up the controller and within 15 seconds told him that this controller was better then the DS4. I've never had any problems with the Playstation controller, just the offset analog sticks are a better design choice.

The DS4 is the better controller, but the battery life is holding it back from it getting a sure win.

I use my DS4 for Xbox One, PC, and PS4 now.

Darksol

While we're at it, provide a copy of your receipts and a photo of yourself holding today's newspaper, with a written affidavit of at least two public officials who can validate your claims. Anything less is unacceptable.

Duxxy3

DS4 doesn't really do anything poorly, but it does have durability issues. XB1 controller has bad bumpers and the tension is too loose.

I could use either of them without complaining. So no real preference.

X1's controller is a perfect fit for my hands. PS4's is close, but it's something about the grips that doesn't feel perfectly right initially until I move my hands into the right position (whereas the X1's does it immediately).

One thing I do dislike about the PS4's controller is that light, like in inFamous it makes it bright enough to light up my entire room with the lights dimmed. Hoping v1.70 removes or dims it.

Xav

PS4 Controller - Good (but not great) all around.

Xbone Controller - Awful D-pad and L/R bumpers but otherwise good.

Winner - Wii U Pro > Xbox 360 > PS4 > Xbone >>> PS3

impact

Banned
I don't own an Xbone but I've tried the controller a couple times and thought it was fantastic. I don't get the hate about the bumpers, they seem fine to me.

That said I think I prefer the dualshock 4 for the analog tightness alone. My only complaint is the shoddy build quality for launch models since both of mine have analog flaking issues.

XBO, but I am bias as I enjoyed the X360 over DS3 too. I tend to play third party games on XBO over PS4 even when PS4 version is better. I just feel like the sticks require multiple movements for every move on XBO. Also I use stick grips on both.

I also really enjoy XBO's triggers. The stopper and the rumble in them is so premium. Feels like the proper evolution of X360 pad's best feature.

Wait.

So which offers more stick resistance? DS4 or ONE?

Last generation I loved how "stiff" the 360 controller sticks felt when pushed. It made movement more enjoyable to me. Sticks had just the right amount of resistance.

I'd heard the DS4 was the leader in that area this generation. Is that not so?

the DS4 doesn't make my hands hurt like the One's pad does.

Right now the best controllers ever in my mind are the DS4 and the 360's pad. It's the contours.

Too many sharp edges and button placements that exacerbate said edges over long play periods.

Prefer the Xbox but the DS4 is miles better than the DS3. Things holding back the DS for me are the sticks (placement/texture), I don't like the touchpad as a substitute for select (I don't like it being shoehorned in either but that's not the controllers fault), the poor battery life, and I feel like the R1L1 are a step back from the old version.

FHIZ

I think they're both great, honestly. There's only one thing that bothers me about the One controller, and it's the shoulder buttons and how they don't when you get towards the middle of the controller when they curve.

That said, having moved from 360 as my main console to PS4, I was worried about my preference for the offset stick layout, but the width of the DS4 has definitely helped out and I've pretty much got over that.

I prefer the form factor and overall build quality of the XBone controller. I also like the rumble triggers and the feel of the rubber stoppers in the triggers.

I love the speaker and touchpad on the PS4 controller though, Second Son puts both to great use.

I honestly don't find either controller lacking though, as long as the analog sticks on my PS4 ones hold up.

Qassim

I like both but I dislike the bumpers on the Xbox One controller and the dpad still isn't great. The PS4 controller ergonomically and design wise is a decent step above the XB1 controller. I prefer pretty much everything button and layout wise on the DS4.

There are practical issues with the DS4 though, the light is stupid when there's no functional dependency on it and the battery life is *abysmal*. Seriously - I've had to put my DS4 on charge twice today.

Wait.

So which offers more stick resistance? DS4 or ONE?

Last generation I loved how "stiff" the 360 controller sticks felt when pushed. It made movement more enjoyable to me. Sticks had just the right amount of resistance.

I'd heard the DS4 was the leader in that area this generation. Is that not so?

I'd say so, I felt like I noticed the DS4 sticks being tighter immediately. But I don't feel like either are more responsive than the other.

Alexalder

Banned
Ergonomics: Xbox One > PS4

Top Bottom