• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars [PSP] screens. Bonus: CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010140413.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010142131.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010142584.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010143038.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010144647.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010145194.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010143553.jpg

crazy-taxi-fare-wars-20070214010145678.jpg

DS?

Please don't be Wii screenshots.Please don't be Wii screenshots.

This seriously looks worse than the Dreamcast version.

I've never heard of this "Fare Wars", so I really have no idea what system it's for...

edit: oh PSP. Well, that's not too horrible I guess.

KINGMOKU

pr0cs said:
These shots are for the Wii version or?
C'mon now. Thats not even funny.

Big Nintendo fan, and I was about to post a rant against third-parties. Shows you my expectations :(

if you blow up every PSP game on to a 12" screen, of course its gonna look ugly......just imagine those screens on a smaller 4" screen, and you should get the idea of what it looks like

Sonki.

Banned
Custom Soundtrack is such a great thing.

But for the one game that HAD one of the best soundtracks ever, that's just odd!

Mmmkay

AlphaSnake said:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/764/764459p1.html

Nowhere in that new preview does it say custom soundtracks. I hate you, Wario.
Mentions it in the GameSpot hands on *shrug*

http://uk.gamespot.com/psp/action/crazytaxifarewars/news.html?page=1&sid=6165954
Most of the other improvements being made for Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars will be in the audio department, where some new voice-over work and instrumental tracks promise to make the game feel somewhat less dated. You'll also have the option to play the game using a custom soundtrack of songs that you have copied onto your memory stick.

ant1532

Banned
_dementia said:
I imagine they no longer have Offspring licensed tunes?
I really can't imagine playing CT without it. Yay Custom Soundtracks.
:lol I remember first listening to Offspring from Crazy Taxi. I haven't heard them in years!

D-X

Doom_Bringer said:
Well it looks like shit, what do you want me to say? Afterburner PSP, Crazy Taxi, Outrun PSP.... oh sega...

None of which were actually made by sega only published

Mmmkay

Doom_Bringer said:
Well it looks like shit, what do you want me to say? Afterburner PSP, Crazy Taxi, Outrun PSP.... oh sega...
Maybe you should take off those nostalgia glasses or something? It's not like the game was a looker in the first place. Complain all you want if they don't get 60fps, but the only real problem these screens have is the aliasing and that's not something Sega could fix. Well that and there's no crazy aggressive mip mapping like the DC had, so textures don't blur into nothingness 2ft in front of the car. But that's also pretty much a platform limitation.

If you read the Gamespot article, it says

Currently scheduled for release this summer, Fare Wars isn't an all-new Crazy Taxi game; rather, it's a compilation of sorts that features enhanced versions of the Dreamcast games Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2

Most of the promised enhancements will take the form of ad-hoc multiplayer options, and although we didn't get to see any of these versus or cooperative gameplay modes in action during our demo, we were afforded ample opportunity to test-drive the PSP version of the first game in the series.

Which explains why it looks like the Dreamcast games - it basically is the Dreamcast games.

Mmmkay said:
Maybe you should take off those nostalgia glasses or something? It's not like the game was a looker in the first place. Complain all you want if they don't get 60fps, but the only real problem these screens have is the aliasing and that's not something Sega could fix. Well that and there's no crazy aggressive mip mapping like the DC had, so textures don't blur into nothingness 2ft in front of the car. But that's also pretty much a platform limitation.

What nostalgia glasses? Look at Wipeout Pure, look at Burnout Legends, hell even NFS most wanted looks better than this POS. This looks like a crappy PSOne game. Personally it reminds me of Driver but I think Driver on PSOne looked better

Custom soundtracks FTW. You could make the ultimate Offpring/Bad Religion soundtrack now -

The Meaning of Life
No Brakes
Bad Habit
Da Hui
All I Want
Way Down the Line
Mota
Never Gonna Find Me
Have You Ever
Nitro
Walla Walla
Something to Believe In
Long Way Home

Supersonic
10 in 2010
Can’t Stop It
Social Suicide
I Want to Conquer the World
Hear It
Them And Us
Tiny Voices
Do What You Want
Atomic Garden
You

(note – this is not a collection of what I think are their best songs, just what would fit best for Crazy Taxi)

Christian

You're buying this crap-ass looking port because it has custom soundtracks? Jesus Christ, people will use ANYTHING as an excuse to support something.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
screenshot_1479.jpg

screenshot_1485.jpg

screenshot_1490.jpg

screenshot_1491.jpg

Aliasing can be fixed on low resolution displays by using FSAA. The system would need to have enough performance to afford it, however.

Aggressive mipmapping was not a limitation of the DC platform. The games which had it simply resulted from developer decision to trade-off the distance at which the textures blurred for less texture shimmer.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
mr_sockochris said:
Custom soundtracks FTW. You could make the ultimate Offpring/Bad Religion soundtrack now -

(note – this is not a collection of what I think are their best songs, just what would fit best for Crazy Taxi)
I can't believe you forgot Inner Logic for Bad Religion.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
...wait a second, the soundtrack its the same as the DC versions right?

Mmmkay

Lazy8s said:
Aliasing can be fixed on low resolution displays by using FSAA. The system would need to have enough performance to afford it, however.

Aggressive mipmapping was not a limitation of the DC platform. The games which had it simply resulted from developer decision to trade-off the distance at which the textures blurred for less texture shimmer.
I actually meant that not being able to use mip mapping was a limitation of the PSP (or at least it comes with a heavy cost iirc). In terms of an authentic port I would have preferred mip mapping. And yeah, the PSP could have benefitted so much from having capable FSAA solutions.

Jacobi

Banned
me telling myself :
It will look OK in motion

Blablurn

Seems to be another Must Buy for PSP. I'm quite looking forward to this game. But it's a shame that SEGA didn't released any video material of it yet...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:
Errr, no. We've already gone over this in the LAST thread. It looks virtually identical to the Dreamcast game. The only real differences are improved lighting in the PSP game and inferior image quality. Everything else is the same. If it is 60 fps, it will be extremely accurate.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
dark10x said:
Errr, no. We've already gone over this in the LAST thread. It looks virtually identical to the Dreamcast game. The only real differences are improved lighting in the PSP game and inferior image quality. Everything else is the same. If it is 60 fps, it will be extremely accurate.

I'd say the chances of this being 60fps are slim to non-existant.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wonder if this is going to be a custom soundtrack feature that lets you use the mp3s you put in the standard music folder, rather than the implementation done in GTALCS

BuddyC

VicAlpha said:
...wait a second, the soundtrack its the same as the DC versions right?
No. They don't know what bands will be on the soundtrack yet, but it's bound to be a much more diverse affair (read: more than one band) over the DC versions. There's also the catch that the original Bad Reigion and Offspring tracks might not make it in ...fortunately, custom soundtracks kinda nullifies any issues there.

kaching said:
I wonder if this is going to be a custom soundtrack feature that lets you use the mp3s you put in the standard music folder, rather than the implementation done in GTALCS
It'll require conversion.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The screenshots of the DC and PSP versions in this thread show two different graphics engines that aren't "virtually identical" as to ever be mistaken for one another.

The subtler shine of the DC's cab makes for slightly different lighting but definitely not inferior.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
The screenshots of the DC and PSP versions in this thread show two different graphics engines that aren't "virtually identical" as to ever be mistaken for one another.

The subtler shine of the DC's cab makes for slightly different lighting but definitely not inferior.
It's different, no doubt, but the assets seem to be nearly the same. The textures in the original DC game were NOT all that good on the whole. Most of the peripheral objects were actually quite ugly. They are close enough that I can't imagine anyone screaming "bad port".

It's a shame the 222 MHz limit will probably prevent them from reaching 60 fps, though. THAT will hurt the game, no doubt.

There's also the catch that the original Bad Reigion and Offspring tracks might not make it in ...fortunately, custom soundtracks kinda nullifies any issues there.
Yeah, custom soundtracks solves that problem. If the port is decent, I wouldn't mind loading up the memstick with some Bad Religion albums and going from there. :p

Xav

Dreamcast version looks better than the PSP version. Don't really care what the reason is, it just looks better. I wouldn't call it a bad port but it does look like your typical PSP port, jaggies everwhere. Play PowerStone Collection on PSP & then Dreamcast.

Loading times are worse on PSP
Texture are more blurry on PSP
Jaggies on PSP
Not exactly running at 60FPS like the Dreamcast version.

I hear you can overclock your PSP or something to get thing running better but I expect Crazy Taxi on PSP to turn out pretty much like PowerStone Collection. In fact loads of PSP ports tend to suffer from those 4 things I mentioned.

Top Bottom