• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick/Activision expects Destiny to be "the best-selling game in history"

Heh...heh
Activision is dreaming big for Bungie's Destiny, dubbing it the "next billion dollar franchise." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick echoed the projection, telling investors during today's earnings call that the publisher expects "Destiny will be the best-selling video game in history." Destiny, an online, loot-heavy first-person shooter, is due on September 9. No pressure.
Via Joystiq

Good luck with that. The hype for the game doesn't seem to be THAT big really. Of course I might have to think again once the marketing starts for real.

Sydle

GTA V at 35 million, right? What's next, Mario Kart Wii at 20 million?

Corrected: GTAV at 32 million and MK Wii at 35 million. OMG

Good to see they have reasonable expectations.

I laughed way more than I should have.

Pyccko

Heh. Hahahahahaha. AHAAAAAHAHAHAH.

Okay, sure. Well, I hope at least Bungie doesn't get any shit when it inevitably isn't.

They also noted that it's tracking to be the most pre-ordered new IP ever. So, it's at least off to a strong start even if it can't get to those lofty expectations.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It's nice to want thing Bobby.

Given the amount of money you paid for it, I'm sure you do expect it. I'm looking forward to the finished product, but man.

Still, better money spent than Tony Hawk Ride and DJ Hero.

Leb

To be fair, even Bobby Kotick knows this isn't true, but obviously, an investor's call isn't the place for carefully reasoned analysis.

AHA-Lambda

Listening to the call, they did make it sound like hoping to be the best selling New IP in history.

They have got CRAZY HIGH expectations for this from the way they are talking about it though. Think they also said it's the most pre ordered game of 2014 as well.

Good luck with that. The hype for the game doesn't seem to be THAT big really. Of course I might have to think again once the marketing starts for real.

The hype was real around the announcement and the first few teasers, but they've let it ALL die down.

And there's still no PC announcement :(

Bungie sure thinks highly of themselves. Who knows what kinds of promises they have been making to the upper brass.

I could see this game doing really well if Halo was killed off, but being that Halo is now a competitor and this game looks exactly like Halo, most players are going to want the real thing and not something that looks like Poor Man's Halo, even though the new Bungie version is most likely going to be the better game and franchise. Holy long sentence, Batman.

Amir0x

Banned
Good luck with that Kotick. I am really looking forward to it, but I hope you're backing that language up with like a 100 million ad campaign or some shit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Realistic is the first word I think of when reading Bobby's sentence.

With a "Not" before "realistic", but that's not relevant, I suppose

Top Bottom