• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post High-Res screens of old-gen games

SOLDIER

What Dreamcast emulator is being used in those Sonic shots? I've tried NullDC and Chankast, but can't get either to perform perfectly yet.

For people posting screenshots, please list what emulator, plugins, and configuration settings you're using.

User2k

nincompoop said:
No, not every modern broadband connection is capable of loading 50MB worth of images in "no time".

yeah... I have a pretty damn fast connection and I was chugging loading some of these pages.

SOLDIER

Deathcraze said:
Turn off optimize quantizers in the config options.

This fixed the Silent Hill models, but I still get some strange screen issues.

DolphinWx2009-02-2122-57-25-17.jpg

DolphinWx2009-02-2122-57-31-51.jpg

DolphinWx2009-02-2122-57-43-63.jpg

It also moves very slowly.

scarybore

SOLDIER said:
This fixed the Silent Hill models, but I still get some strange screen issues.

It also moves very slowly.

Ah right, forgot about that. In the opengl graphics options, turn on the Projection before R945 option and that should remove any problems with seeing your character through scenery. As far as I know there is no fix for the DirectX plugin as it's outdated.

Not much I can do about the slowness, for instance at the stairs in the main hall I can get 30fps but whenever I can see candles the framerate is lucky to get over 10fps. I don't know if the whole game is like that as I only load up Dolphin every so often just to see how it is progressing rather than seriously playing games on it.

LCfiner

User2k said:
yeah... I have a pretty damn fast connection and I was chugging loading some of these pages.

exactly, thank you.

I have a decent cable connection and it still paused the loading of the pics for around 3 minutes.

ridiculous

Blablurn

well, alright then, please use png-crusher or high-quality jpgs, if you post more then 2 pictures. personally, i have no problems with it, i think the complains are understandable.

GaussTek

And not than I don't like the GC pics (in fact those are great), but this became a Dolphin-Compatibility Thread. I mean, come on, if you don't know how or what settings to use, use the official dolphin forums or just create one thread here if you want.

And, what about posting just one pic per game as thumbnail and the rest as links? That way you could use the img compression you want.

(yeah, keep the great shots coming! :D )

soldier, use the open gl plugin in and mess about with the filter options in advance. i know you can get the game looking perfect that way as you see in my screens. i don't know about current builds, but 2195 works just great.

as far as the discussion of my .pngs go, since some people like them i don't really know what to do. i'm trying to post them at the absolute highest res as possible with lossless compression so that people can do what they want with them, and so that you can see exactly what they look like.

i will try a png file size optimizer as they do reduce the file size without reducing quality but i don't think it's going to make you guys complaining much happier. you'll be talking 30 meg pages vs 50 meg pages.

this is going to mean that it takes me even more time to get shots up, but i'm going to make my best effort to keep putting up the high quality shots some people want, and to ensure that they are as small as possible for the people complaining about size.

i'm not going to do jpegs. good enough for one person isn't good enough for everyone. games like nmh and killer 7 that have large areas of flat colour look HORRIBLE in jpegs. jpeg is good for a photograph, but not for a game.

also, i'll try to keep the dolphin compatibility discussion to a minimum. should i continue doing high res wii games? i know they don't quite match the title of the thread, but i thought that they matched the spirit of it and that people would want to see any SD game in high res. i don't have many wii games left to try to do.

i got a later mp2 save off a friend. so i'll be putting up a tour of mp2 when i get a chance all going to plan.

Durante

plagiarize said:
i'm not going to do jpegs. good enough for one person isn't good enough for everyone. games like nmh and killer 7 that have large areas of flat colour look HORRIBLE in jpegs.
I take pride in being one of the biggest image quality whores on GAF, but that's simply not true. A 100% jpg never looks horrible, regardless of what it shows. Here is a worst-case (for jpeg) picture, consisting entirely of flat colored shapes:
11tspvm.jpg

e16poi.jpg

Can you tell which is which without right clicking?
(Note that this case is perfectly compressible by png so it wouldn't make sense to post it as a jpeg, but that's not the case for almost all game shots)

great yeah, so if i want something with flat colours to look equally good in jpeg i have to make it larger than the png comes out at. wonderful. you're basically telling me theres never a time to use png and i don't agree. as far as i'm concerned png is the best lossless compression there is and i want to go lossless.

Durante

plagiarize said:
great yeah, so if i want something with flat colours to look equally good in jpeg i have to make it larger than the png comes out at. wonderful. you're basically telling me theres never a time to use png and i don't agree.
So even though I expected this objection and explained my point thoroughly you still missed it entirely. Way to go. In fact, I'm a huge proponent of using the right format for the right job. I'm simply arguing that your statements "areas of flat colour look HORRIBLE in jpegs" and "jpeg is good for a photograph, but not for a game" are not true.

Perhaps this will make it clear -- here's a screenshot (from you!) with exceptionally flat areas for a game. Can you tell the difference?
106eddh.jpg

fuxqu8.jpg

Now, if your real objection is that one is lossless and the other is not then I agree -- I just don't see the point for screenshots.

plagiarize said:
great yeah, so if i want something with flat colours to look equally good in jpeg i have to make it larger than the png comes out at. wonderful. you're basically telling me theres never a time to use png and i don't agree. as far as i'm concerned png is the best lossless compression there is and i want to go lossless.
Why don't you post a smaller jpg version and link to the lossless png files?
Sounds like a decent compromise.

if you post those shots FULL SIZE and pay attention to any area where there is an edge of two high contrast colours, you'll see softening along that edge in the jpeg.

as i've been saying all along i want to post screenshots of EXACTLY how they look not artificially softened.

Why don't you post a smaller jpg version and link to the lossless png files?
Sounds like a decent compromise.

because i'm doing this for free, and there's already a degree of work involved in cropping the images and fixing the aspect ratio and uploading them and putting together the posts. it's pretty damn time consuming as is without doubling my workload.

that's kind of why some people complaining about the pages taking a long time to load isn't really concerning me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Durante said:
Can you tell which is which without right clicking?

I guessed correctly! >_<

I really don't think there's much difference myself, but for the record, you got to give it to whatever service is hosting those pics, this whole thread has always loaded instantly for me (which is pretty impressive I think, because I know my browser is probably topping 4 or 5 MB/s grabbing dozens of those pictures all simultaneously), and not caused any problems for my web browser either for that matter.

Lets see some more high res screens. Thread was going well for awhile. :D

Some older ones or something. FFXII is still the peak imo. Don't want to scroll to see all the pictures.

Durante

VGChampion said:
Lets see some more high res screens. Thread was going well for awhile. :D
Finally found a few I knew I had somewhere:
fn5js6.jpg

4gp8ar.jpg

j6ue7k.jpg

99jjmu.jpg

(Note that these are downscaled from at least twice that res. But there are no details lost and the increase in IQ is very tangible IMHO)

zbarron

Final Fantasy XII

I don't know why but I really liked this tomato guy

This many characters slows the game down epesially at a high internal resolution.

Wind Waker

For Wind Waker the D3D plugin works fine for me, granted I haven't gotten very far in the
game yet.
I don't like to think how these edges would look without AA.

Can people just upload through Vulomedia and select thumbnail? That way you can keep whatever compression style you want and still not bog down the thread.

GaussTek

Those are from the Arcade versions (model 2):

You know, playing Daytona USA remembers me we need Daytona USA 3 for this gen consoles ASAP.

Daytona.jpg

HOTD.jpg

Oh, the good old times.

DangerStepp

Blablurn said:
sweet. i really love high-def dreamcast pictures.

I need schooling on how to make this happen.

Question: I'm trying to make MGS look good on ePSXe and I have a top of the line rig. The problem is whenever I jack the settings all the way up; I experience a really fast frame rate. As in, the game moves wayy too fast, which causes it to hitch up.

Any advice?

IIRC the fps limiter in epsxe corresponds to the number of fields per second rather than the number of frames, so 60 should work for all NTSC games. If not then set it to 30.

DangerStepp

nincompoop said:
IIRC the fps limiter in epsxe corresponds to the number of fields per second rather than the number of frames, so 60 should work for all NTSC games. If not then set it to 30.

I will try that. Thanks.

GaussTek said:
Those are from the Arcade versions (model 2):

You know, playing Daytona USA remembers me we need Daytona USA 3 for this gen consoles ASAP.

Daytona.jpg

Oh, the good old times.

Trick? I though the Sonic relief was modeled in the arcade version.

Nikorasu

Wark said:
I miss playing the Daytona USA games. I think I'm gonna hook up my Saturn to relive some of my memories RIGHT NOW.

I did that, bad idea. The saturn version has not aged well at all (not that it was any good on release). You'd best just get the model 2 emulator and find a rom dump somewhere. Keep those wonderful memories intact, knowatimsayin?

GaussTek

Nikorasu said:
I did that, bad idea. The saturn version has not aged well at all (not that it was any good on release). You'd best just get the model 2 emulator and find a rom dump somewhere. Keep those wonderful memories intact, knowatimsayin?

Exactly :D In the latest m2emulator (version 0.9) it runs *almost* perfect.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
DangerStepp said:
Tell me your wonderful secret.

Just use NullDC, change the config file to:

Enhancements.MultiSampleCount=1
Enhancements.MultiSampleQuality=1

MultiSampleQuality is supposed to be able to go higher but it crashes the program for me. There are other settings you can fool with but I don't remember what's supposed to best best for each game. Shenmue always gave me problems with hair up close and some trees were displayed messed up, but there may have been some better settings I just didn't find.

I used the expanded aspect ratio for those but it's not perfect because the game wasn't designed that way though it works pretty well most of the time. Those most annoying thing is filters not showing up on the edges like this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lbpdzp.jpg

In the second game the cutscenes are supposed to be letterboxed so they end up looking like this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/3535czp.jpg

Other games like Ecco don't look good at all with it, though that game is already messed up.

the compression talk in here is hilarious. png owns jpeg in the spot color one. i got a visually perfect looking png of that for under 10k. Other than that. I really want to see the new house of the dead in higher res... Varla Guns.

master15

I know the Shenmuedojo has some high-res shots up on their web page, but even still it's amazing how the main models don't actually look too bad even until this day. The only element which clearly stands out is the flat skybox, something they already fixed in Shenmue II.

I would love to see more Resident Evil remake or Metroid Prime shots, if anyone is able to put more up. Does Rogue Leader or Starfox Adventures work with Dolphin?

Haunted

Holy SHIT at plagiarize's post on the last page and those No More Heroes shots. Totally owned this thread.

And speaking of ownage, poor Mengde. :lol jarosh :bow

bumpkin

SOLDIER said:
That screenshot really makes me want to play through the RE Remake on the 'Cube... If you can believe it, I picked the game up and I never actually played it. Started to once or twice and for whatever reason just stopped; I think after I made the mistake of killing half a dozen or so zombies that eventually awoke as crimson-heads. :lol

If I do go back and play it, I really need to remember to simply avoid zombies until I get the gasoline to burn their bodies.

DangerStepp

BSTF said:
Just use NullDC, change the config file to:

Enhancements.MultiSampleCount=1
Enhancements.MultiSampleQuality=1

MultiSampleQuality is supposed to be able to go higher but it crashes the program for me. There are other settings you can fool with but I don't remember what's supposed to best best for each game. Shenmue always gave me problems with hair up close and some trees were displayed messed up, but there may have been some better settings I just didn't find.

I used the expanded aspect ratio for those but it's not perfect because the game wasn't designed that way though it works pretty well most of the time. Those most annoying thing is filters not showing up on the edges like this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lbpdzp.jpg

In the second game the cutscenes are supposed to be letterboxed so they end up looking like this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/3535czp.jpg

Other games like Ecco don't look good at all with it, though that game is already messed up.

Thanks! I'll dig out my old DC discs whenever I get home.

DangerStepp said:
Thanks! I'll dig out my old DC discs whenever I get home.
Your PC can't read the DC discs, if you want a legal backup you need to dump the games by hooking up your DC to your PC, but the process is extremely slow (like it takes all day to dump a single game).

SOLDIER

Bumping this, I could use some help on the Dreamcast emulator. I'm using NullDC 1.03. It's close to running perfect with the exception of two issues.

1. Sound gets too scratchy sometimes (sound effects are too loud)

2. Some textures flicker (for example, street lines in Sonic Adventure 2, or billboards in Project Justice).

Please help me out with the recommended settings. I'd also like additional help in getting the Gamecube emulation working (I still get the screen size issue that you see in the RE pics).

SOLDIER

Here's some shots to illustrate my issue.

nullDC_12009-02-2601-27-21-91.jpg

nullDC_12009-02-2601-27-25-62.jpg

nullDC_12009-02-2601-28-10-12.jpg

The areas that flicker are the racing strip in the middle of the road, the shadows underneath the trees, and the soap sign.

Again, please post your NullDC settings so I can closely match them. If I fix this and the sound, it should run perfectly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck me look at those Prime 3 shots. The texture work is fucking phenomenal. I wish Nintendo would release a WiiHD that upscales shit to look like this. Wind Waker is the standout, of course. I still think Twilight Princess looks gorgeous too, and I think in a higher resolution the art shines better.

Someone really needs to get some high res Rogue Squadron 3 shots, especially of some of the AT-ST missions. I want to see Factor5's hardware pushing brilliance.

Top Bottom