• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge (June edition)

From Rllmuk:

Cover

Prince Of Persia

Scores

GTA:IV [10]
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core [6]
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue [7]
Echochrome [7]
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 [4]
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword [7]
Opoona [7]
Bangai-O Spirits [9]
Assassins Creed: Altair's Chronicles [3]
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters [6]
Redlynx Trails 2: Second Edition [7]

Hype

Fallout 3
Ninja Gaiden 2
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Darksiders: Wrath of War
Red Faction Guerrilla
Don King Presents: Prizefighter
Soul Caliber IV
Braid
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Guitar Hero: On Tour
Saints Row II
Persona 4
Baja
They
50 Cent: Blood On The Sand

Features

Alone In The Dark
Prince Of Persia
Reset Generation / N-Gage
Garagegames
Enemy AI

Time Extend

Resident Evil 2

The Making Of...

Kung Fu Chaos

Evlar

Banned
Echochrome [7]
Opoona [7]
Bangai-O Spirits [9]

zoku88

Thanks for unspoilering the scores...

Another 10 for GTAiV...

Maybe I'll HAVE to get this game eventually....

Who still spoilers scores in this day and age.

Anyway. The most deserved 10 in years.

A new benchmark of interactive entertainment.

jmd494

After playing GTA...I'm a little suprised by all these 10's.

Great game no doubt...but this many 10's?

batbeg

Holy shit at Opoona getting a higher score from Edge than Crisis Core. Or just amazement at Opoona getting a 7!

And a soft little el oh el at Penny Arcade.

sphinx

the piano man
The Hug Dog said:
I knew GTA would get that score. Edge are big fans of the series

I remember there was one edition of EDGE for awards, it was just silly how they were trying really hard to create categories to reward GTA:SA

" Best use of a 3rd person african-american character in a game: GTA:SA! "
" Best game to use the word ANDREAS in its title: GTA:SA! "
" Best Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas game: GTA:SA! "

:lol :lol :lol

EDGE are HUGE, ENOURMOUS GTA fanboys. They wouldn't have given anything less than 10 to a GTA game, ever.

I thought edge didn't give 10s to sequels... and while I don't normally care a lot of those scores are really low, IMO. There's like 4 games in there that deserve at LEAST a point higher.

sphinx said:
I remember there was one edition of EDGE for awards, it was just silly how they were trying really hard to create categories to reward GTA:SA

" Best use of a 3rd person african-american character in a game: GTA:SA! "
" Best game to use the word ANDREAS in its title: GTA:SA! "
" Best Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas game: GTA:SA! "

:lol :lol :lol

EDGE are HUGE, ENOURMOUS GTA fanboys. They wouldn't have given anything less than 10 to a GTA game, ever.

This is the first one, III and Vice City 'only' scored an 8.

border

sphinx said:
Didn't they give GTA3 like a 7 or an 8?

Anyhow, I was expecting them to be slightly more critical over GTA4, but it looks like they drank the Kool-Aid as well.

eXistor

sphinx said:
That may be (though I'm sure they didn't score LCS and VCS a ten) but on their scale, a 10 is more than deserved, the game is phenomenal and there is not a single person in the world that can say otherwise without him or her being blatantly wrong. You may or may not like the game, but to fail to see its a huge accomplishment is a crime.

GhaleonQ

While I never understood why Edge likes or dislikes certain series, I'm really baffled by this round of scores.

Magic Mushroom said:
Scores
Echochrome [7]
Opoona [7]
Bangai-O Spirits [9]

o90peh.gif

border said:
Didn't they give GTA3 like a 7 or an 8?

Anyhow, I was expecting them to be slightly more critical over GTA4, but it looks like they drank the Kool-Aid as well.

The Kool-Aid that said it was somehow better than all the other games that let you get drunk with your friends or go to comedy clubs or see actual legitimate human interactions in cutscenes for the first time in gaming history?

It should have gotten a fucking 20.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Ynos Yrros said:
MGS4 will get 6 or 7 from them definitely. Really low score for Crisis Core.
Code:
METAL GEAR SOLID	PlayStation	Konami	Konami	9/10
METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY	PS2	Konami	Konami	8/10
METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SUBSTANCE	Xbox	Konami	Konami	6/10
METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER	PS2	Konami	Konami	8/10
METAL GEAR SOLID: INTEGRAL	PlayStation	Konami	Konami	6/10
METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES	Gamecube	Konami	Silicon Knights	7/10

border

eXistor said:
That may be (though I'm sure they didn't score LCS and VCS a ten) but on their scale, a 10 is more than deserved
Their "10" is supposed to mean utterly revolutionary and world-changing, but I'd say Rockstar's game hardly qualifies. Ironically the real world-changer (GTA3) got underscored by the magazine -- maybe they are trying to make up for it or re-establish cred or something.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Justin Dailey said:
After playing GTA...I'm a little suprised by all these 10's.

Great game no doubt...but this many 10's?
Yeah, I have to say I'm a bit surprised myself. The game is excellent no doubt, but it's not what I'd normally expect Edge reviewers to give a 10. So far at least when it comes to gameplay, the game seems pretty similar to the previous in the series, and I know Edge reviewers are not big fans of that, no matter how much more polished the whole thing is and how much better the story is (which by all means it is so far).

Maybe I should just shut up and keep playing it, and will realize that later on the game won't be similar to previous ones.

BenjaminBirdie said:
or see actual legitimate human interactions in cutscenes for the first time in gaming history?
Thats by no mean the case BB. (What I mean to say, there have been games that have done this before)

Magic Mushroom said:
What? They're blacked out on my screen, so what did I do wrong?

They're not supposed to be blacked out.

Facepalm.gif

Also, LOL at the Penny Arcade game. The gaming critics actually make a game, and it sucks.

Death_Born said:
They're not supposed to be blacked out.

Facepalm.gif

Also, LOL at the Penny Arcade game. The gaming critics actually make a game, and it sucks.

I thought using
tags would be the solution here, as it is on other forums I visit. I'm apparently wrong.

Ashhong

Magic Mushroom said:
I thought using
tags would be the solution here, as it is on other forums I visit. I'm apparently wrong.
spoiler tagging scores on this forum is a bannable offense.

border said:
Their "10" is supposed to mean utterly revolutionary and world-changing, but I'd say Rockstar's game hardly qualifies. Ironically the real world-changer (GTA3) got underscored by the magazine -- maybe they are trying to make up for it or re-establish cred or something.

It is absolutely revolutionary in every conceivable way when it comes to gameplay narrative. There is no other game available anywhere that sets out your tasks so subtly, without any trace of hand holding or shoehorning in of "hints" or "clues". You simply have conversations. And thanks to its setting, it is clearly the most resonating game, culturally, ever released. Not only is it a completely believable and living gamespace, it's our world, today, perfectly captured.

That's a staggering and landmark achievement by any measure.

tyagi

All these 10/10 scores for GTA:IV.

The high percentage of GTA:IV owners who are experiencing continual system crashes.

Is the retail code/pressing just b0rked, and no magazine (or online) reviewers experienced these crashes?

Top Bottom