• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Momentum Matters: A Historical Perspective on the FGC and Esports Communities

Bizazedo

Really good article, I enjoyed it. I also agree Capcom has to get more involved.

I mean, really, they're the only ones that are stopping people like MLG, right? I mean, it's not like Evo should be able to.

What's Killian say?

sleepykyo

Starcraft 2 does have a mission mode meant to teach players advanced mechanics, something that fighting games have needed since ever. All of their training and mission modes don't really teach the things they need to approach pro level play.
vf4 evo did. It was a 48 step tutorial . Started off with simple commands and then went into combing throw escapes with sidesteps and various situations . It wouldn't make a person good but at they would that getting back staggered is a probable result of side rolling after a front crumple.

Too bad that outside BB newer games haven't offered that.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm only about half-way through, but David is pretty much echoing sentiments I've been espousing on SRK and GAF for years. Any "issues" with the FGC in relation to more successful competitive gaming enterprises have to be looked at through a socio-cultural/economic lens. Anytime I express it, however, I just get dismissed "pretentious" or "nonsensical" or whatever, but I guess I'm not Ultradavid *shrug*. This is a topic I've been passionate about for almost a decade.

I've lived the difference. Growing up in the "hood" (Delray Beach, FL), SFII was a source of pride for a lot of us disenfranchised, under-scrutinized youths and was just one source of a lot of violence in my community - I actually had a group of guys lock me in this one guy's house and threaten my life if I didn't sit down and play him in SSFII Turbo until he could beat me, consistently.

Once my single-mother managed to climb us out of there into a more suburban district, one of my first new friends owned a PC and all he talked about was Doom. A PC was almost a completely foreign object to me (and in a lot of ways, still is) and I had no inkling of Doom or Wolfenstein outside seeing them displayed at various electronic retail chains. I had never seen or interacted with a PC outside of school.

It's no wonder, then, that the avenues and opportunities for success the FGC and FPS currently have are so different. The PC became a symbol of mainstream corporate success in the late 90s-early 2000s and much of the FGC demographic wasn't completely familiar with it. The "Dot Com" era was mere babble to people like me.

But I still think what SC currently enjoys is the ideal. The FGC is simply behind due to a larger social stratification system and is currently trying to figure out how to reach that lucrative level of security while preserving its values. But the values reflect the people that comprise the community. The hype won't and doesn't need, to go away, because as David mentioned, the demographics are different, succeeding on the merits of the type of games we play.

El Sloth

Banned
I've lived the difference. Growing up in the "hood" (Delray Beach, FL), SFII was a source of pride for a lot of us disenfranchised, under-scrutinized youths and was just one source of a lot of violence in my community - I actually had a group of guys lock me in this one guy's house and threaten my life if I didn't sit down and play him in SSFII Turbo until he could beat me, consistently.
SMH. Fucking Florida. It's always Florida. Goddamn.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think you're onto something here. If Starcraft had a "mission mode" where it was like do x build order in under 6:00 or some unreasonable timeframe, people would howl in frustration there also. And yet, that is as much a barrier as combos in fighters. Why is it people don't make a big deal about how difficult hat stuff is over there
There is one of those 'Do this build order' in x time and it is pretty tightly timed imo.

Others already brought up good points about your post :)

Chavelo

Are you guys listening to http://www.twitch.tv/livevvvgaming?

They're hitting the goddamn hard questions. Hosts are calling out Ultradavid on his article and saying that he is trying to protect his assets. :O

Also, a great question: What exactly will happen (good or bad) if MLG picks up fighting games?

Sp00ky is cornered!

EDIT: SHIT MANG. vvv CALLING OUT MR. WIZARD AND SPOOKY JUST POPPED LEVEL 3 X-FACTOR.

vf4 evo did. It was a 48 step tutorial . Started off with simple commands and then went into combing throw escapes with sidesteps and various situations . It wouldn't make a person good but at they would that getting back staggered is a probable result of side rolling after a front crumple.

Too bad that outside BB newer games haven't offered that.

I keep hearing things about some kind of patent that Sega put on some parts of their tutorial, and ASW getting into trouble with them over it with BBCS. If it's true, that could be why FG tutorial are non-existent.

Warpticon

Are you guys listening to http://www.twitch.tv/livevvvgaming?

They're hitting the goddamn hard questions. Hosts are calling out Ultradavid on his article and saying that he is trying to protect his assets. :O

Also, a great question: What exactly will happen (good or bad) if MLG picks up fighting games?

Sp00ky is cornered!

EDIT: SHIT MANG. vvv CALLING OUT MR. WIZARD AND SPOOKY JUST POPPED LEVEL 3 X-FACTOR.

And by "Mr Wizard" you mean Tom Cannon, aka Inkblot.

Slavik81

I think you're onto something here. If Starcraft had a "mission mode" where it was like do x build order in under 6:00 or some unreasonable timeframe, people would howl in frustration there also. And yet, that is as much a barrier as combos in fighters. Why is it people don't make a big deal about how difficult hat stuff is over there?

My win loss record when starting my first online competitive RTS (SC2) was roughly 2:3. My win loss record when trying to competitively play my first online fighting game (SSFIV): 2:27.

I was really impressed by how accessible SC2 was. It handles new players with kid gloves. It slows down the game significantly to try to take the pressure off. It matches you against equally unskilled opponents. It tries to highlight your victories and minimize feeling bad about losses. It gives you tools like replays to evaluate your performance, see where things went wrong and note what your opponent did better.

These are not all new things, but I never could stand the pressure of a competitive RTS before. Once it eased me into playing, though, i grew comfortable with the tools at my disposal and that offset the increased pressure as the crutches were slowly removed.

I haven't played the fighting game equivalent of that, much as I want to. I enjoy Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken, but I certainly couldn't play against anyone but my friends. Not even SSB really fulfills that role.

SC2 managed to make multiplayer accessible and provide a clear ramp from low-level play to high-level play without sacrificing its design. It was an impressive feat, and I think one that would be very valuable if it could be repeated with other games and other genres.

alstein

My win loss record when starting my first online competitive RTS (SC2) was roughly 2:3. My win loss record when trying to competitively play my first online fighting game (SSFIV): 2:27.

I was really impressed by how accessible SC2 was. It handles new players with kid gloves. It slows down the game significantly to try to take the pressure off. It matches you against equally unskilled opponents. It tries to highlight your victories and minimize feeling bad about losses. It gives you tools like replays to evaluate your performance, see where things went wrong and note what your opponent did better.

These are not all new things, but I never could stand the pressure of a competitive RTS before. Once it eased me into playing, though, i grew comfortable with the tools at my disposal and that offset the increased pressure as the crutches were slowly removed.

I haven't played the fighting game equivalent of that, much as I want to. I enjoy Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken, but I certainly couldn't play against anyone but my friends. Not even SSB really fulfills that role.

SC2 managed to make multiplayer accessible and provide a clear ramp from low-level play to high-level play without sacrificing its design. It was an impressive feat, and I think one that would be very valuable if it could be repeated with other games and other genres.

Soul Calibur should be more accessible then Tekken/SF, it's a more loved game by casuals. The problem you're mentioning with fighters- is that the barrier to entry keeps getting higher, cause you're playing players with years and years of experience in the genre. With fighters, you go online you often get thrown in the deep end. I'd say in terms of accessibility Soul Calibur is probably the best fighter out there- if they ever manage to make a great Soul Calibur again Namco will have something super-special (this is why I keep giving it chances)

Tekken in many ways is closer to a 2d fighter in terms of its skillset, then SC and VF.

I do think this is a difference between the arcade mentality (which has to go away) and the PC mentality.

A lot of the things being mentioned here are why I've lost a bunch of interest in fighters this gen, ESPECIALLY 2d, where the symptoms are much worse. Also, add in the Japanese focus on lolis and combos, and it feels dumbed down and I lose interest fast.

I've plenty plenty of PC games that were as or more brutal then that 2:27 you were talking about.

Top Bottom