• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's more important you, the gameplay or graphics of a game?

Cheddahz

Banned
I simply ask this because my lady friends, a few of my pals, and I got into this argument yesterday about what's more important in a game and I said the gameplay, because I much rather have a game that's fun to play than rather play a game with excellent graphics that plays like shit. Of course, my friends disagreed with me and said the graphics of a game were much more important than the gameplay

So GAF, what's more important to you in a game?

StuBurns

Banned
A game that's shit to play is shit.

It's not either or though, I think nice graphics can greatly improve a game experience.

Dystify

Of course the gameplay. Graphics can be nice to look at, but ultimately a game needs good gameplay to succeed.

Gameplay is overrated, also I don't play for some selfish enjoyment. I play to look cool in front of my peers, so graphics all the way.

Both:

Kirbys_Epic_Yarn_-_Squidz.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
definitely both. I tried to get into Xenoblade. Gawd this game looks bad.

Gaborn

VVVVVV is a perfect example of why gameplay will ALWAYS trump graphics. (Style being another thing that can add to a game). Without a good base of fun gameplay there isn't much point.

Nibel

Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game

And there will be so many posts in this thread that will agree with that - yet most of those people will post that they want eye-melting visuals and cutting-edge consoles in all the other threads.

Many know deep in their hearts that gameplay is essential - but they won't touch most games with great gameplay concepts because of their visuals

ASIS

Graphics are a part of the gameplay, they are not on equal standing.
Better comparisons would be graphics vs. controls, or graphics vs. sound.

Roubjon

Both are equally important. If a game looks bad to me, then the motivation to continue playing a game even with good gameplay just spirals downward.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Both are equally important. If a game looks bad to me, then the motivation to continue playing a game even with good gameplay just spirals downward.

This is crazy to me.

Gameplay is king, always. But as much as I hate to admit it, graphics are very important. They're just not all that important to me.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Gameplay - of course.

I buy games to play them.

Don't get me wrong, I like graphics too, but I don't obsess about the amount of polygons thrown at the screen like some people.

The fact that The Wonderful 101 on the Wii U, for example, had a trailer featuring polygonal people does not put me off buying it.

Zaventem

We'll be seeing more threads like this when people gut the Wii U open...That said i never understood people who claimed a game can't look good and play good.Lots of these people on neogaf.

Derrick01

Banned
60% gameplay and 40% graphics for me. I can play a really amazing playing fugly ass game like Deus Ex 1 but I won't lie in most normal cases great graphics really excite me. I always look forward to what Naughty Dog and Guerilla are doing despite not really liking how their games play.

mollipen

Both. I think the "gameplay is all that matters, graphics don't" argument is kind of ridiculous. Advancements in graphics have given birth to just as many new concepts and potential game types as gameplay advancements have.

Gaborn

What are you implying ? VVVVVV has awesome graphics.

that it has a simple, clean, old school look. That STYLE can be more important than facemeltingly amazing graphical fidelity. There's nothing wrong with amazing graphics, they're often a bonus that can add to a game. They're just not necessary to make a great game.

Top Bottom