• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White House finally settles the .GIF debate, NeoGAF celebrates, NeoJAF cries foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Hard G motherfuckers

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...cer+(Daily+Intelligencer+-+New+York+Magazine)

a_560x0.jpg

Since the dawn of time, Internet nerds have debated how to pronounce "GIF," a type of image that stands for Graphics Interchange Format. Nerds on one side of the debate are partial to a hard g — as in get a life, nerds — while nerds on the other side stubbornly insist on a soft g, as in gigantic nerds. According to the GIF Pronunciation Page, the very creator of the GIF has said it's a soft g, but this has hardly settled the matter.
Now you can count the White House among those who don't care what the GIF's inventor thinks. In a post announcing its new Tumblr, the White House mentions that readers can expect "ANIMATED GIFs ('HARD G')," which just seems unnecessarily provocative, but there you have it.

They also made a tumblr

Bob White

Hard G all the way. Also, people who like the soft G blink their eyes one at a time and only eat cheese Pizza. That shit ain't right.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone who thinks that it's a soft G is a goddamn commie!

YOU COMMIE SCUM!

LordCanti

I've always pronounced it JIF. Having said that, I've never really had to say it out loud to anyone so....I'm not sure it matters.

Korey

It's pronounced Gif if it was pronounced jif it should be spelled with a j and anyone who says otherwise should go back to communis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom