• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch (games/hardware) in History

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.

Last week’s Halo 5: Live earned a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for the most watched video game launch broadcast, setting a precedent with more than 330,000 unique streams on the evening of the broadcast. Additionally, content from the broadcast generated 5.5 million total views throughout the week. This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/?linkId=18493755

Halo is not dead yet!

Nibel

Dawg told me Halo is dead

kermittqssc.png

Wow, this is completely opposite of what the expectations were I think

Edit: actually the ambiguity of the pr statement is exactly what most people expected :p

LifEndz

Biggest ever? Wow. Good stuff, MS.

Edit: wait a min...what does that even...damn they're good at the spin!

Surprising because I literally haven't heard anything about this game. I thought CoD killed Halo, but it looks like I was wrong. Congrats to the developers!

mcrommert

Banned
Wrapped in the usual pr spin...wondering what biggest halo launch actually means...despite the quality of the game halo cannot reach the heights it used to...too much competition

Betty

Banned
with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware

That doesn't mean it sold more copies than previous entries though... but I guess it doesn't really matter in the end if it still makes more money than previous titles.

Stormy

At the end of the day, from a business sense, the dollar amount is all that matters. As long as it makes the money they think it should, copies sold does not mean much. Good job 343! :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Watch out! Since it says "Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware", bundles are included in the revenue.

Yoday

Games and hardware are all counted in that number. That doesn't really tell us much about the actual game sales when that could include consoles, controllers and headsets too. Talk about marketing spin.

orochi91

Biggest Halo launch title on the XB1 only?

Are they comparing this with MCC on XB1 or the other Halo mainline games launches on the Xbox/X360?

Falchion

That's awesome! Now please give us new playlists and more maps so that it doesn't get abandoned when Black Ops and Battlefront comes out.

400m hw+sw sales in the first week should be really good, don't understand why don't they just say the numbers. I can't believe it sold less than say, 1.5 million copies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Can we try to reach a estimate using the "highest week one attach rate" quote?

I was thinking of using Titanfall as a comparison point, but i saw the rest of the sentence for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One.

Includes hardware and they make more from digital sales. The actual numbers are likely still worse than Halo 1.

/s

TheXbox

Games and hardware? I guess they're lumping in consoles/controllers/headsets into this. I'd like to see how many copies they've sold through so far. I can't imagine it's anywhere in the same ballpark as H4.

Madness

And this should shut up the guys wondering why MS created 343 to make Halo games and not other franchises or new IP's per se. You have a franchise that has made them $5 billion dollars, with another $400 million at launch. Those are numbers very few IP's or series can even dream of. I wonder what the numbers are for the series as a whole. I know Halo hit 65 million copies in July. So they've gotta be close to 70 million by the end of the year.

Dinosur

with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware

Wait. Does that mean they're counting $500 instead of $60 for each bundle sold in their sales number? Is that common?

Tratorn

I had to laugh a bit about the PR. Revenue from Software and Hardware... How about giving some sale numbers? :p

Top Bottom