• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation: Is Nintendo's Blast Ball a first look at Metroid Prime Hunters 2?

TDLink

I know the thought went through not just my brain but probably many. This little game which very well might end up as a F2P eShop release looks extremely similar to the Nintendo DS game Metroid Prime Hunters. The UI is very reminiscent of the Metroid Prime style and the aesthetic is nearly identical. So...what if Blast Ball actually isn't its own game but instead part of a Prime Hunters 2 as a mode?

9zyb.png

Notice the Metroid Prime style font, the arm cannon-type weapon, and the entire UI essentially being a visor. Obviously there are some things missing, but if this is part of a Metroid Prime Hunters game then you wouldn't have all your normal UI stuff since it's a mode all about hitting the ball into the other person's goal rather than killing.

The logo is also evokes a Metroid vibe:

Furthermore, in the previously existing Blast Ball topic AzVal pointed out the following:

I mentioned on the NWC thread and found the moment where you read Clearly "G.F.S. AEGIS" which is in line with the ship naming in the Metroid Galactic Federation naming for "G.F.S. Valhalla", "G.F.S. Olympus", etc.

https://youtu.be/J9H8VcU21j4?t=6993

I think that is strong enough to at least say there is some sort of connection to the Metroid universe even if this isn't part of a larger Hunters 2 game.

So what do you think? I am guessing we'll find out one way or the other on Tuesday.

Additional observations from this topic:

I seriously wonder this myself. It's such a random little game, followed up with no press release or materials. Almost as if it's part of a larger whole.

https://youtu.be/J9H8VcU21j4?t=2h6m3s

Notice the helmet on the right side of the screen.

Looks exactly like a Galactic Federation helmet.

Kensuke Tanabe at E32013:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid
"Basically I’m thinking of, not just Samus, but how we can expand the whole Samus universe," Tanabe said. "You remember Metroid Prime Hunters. I’m thinking about things like how we could make that go out further, with all these different bounty hunters as well."

Can it be related to Blastball?

One more observation: The "Blast Ball" logo does not have a ™ or ®. No title exists in the US patent office, either. Even the newly rechristened Mario Maker has a ™ .

Mods: If this speculation topic is unwanted during E3 feel free to lock, but I think the discussion is worth having.

I think it was once part of a Metroid game but isn't anymore.

Notice the pilots of those robots have Mii dimensions. Simple, small body with huge heads. I don't see how that would work in the Metroid style.

Kinsei

Banned
OfficeNo.gif

Oh god That would almost be as bad as an Other M 2.

I don't think Nintendo would be dumb enough to make a new MPH.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I seriously wonder this myself. It's such a random little game, followed up with no press release or materials. Almost as if it's part of a larger whole.

TDLink

I think it was once part of a Metroid game but isn't anymore.

Notice the pilots of those robots have Mii dimensions. Simple, small body with huge heads. I don't see how that would work in the Metroid style.

A mode doesn't necessarily have to adhere to the other modes' rules.

Crocomire_DKCR.png

Is Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country Returns a first look at Super Metroid 2?

I think that's fairly different. DKCR has a very different aesthetic compared to Super Metroid. Samus' ship being there is just a reference. Maybe that G.F.S. AEGIS being there is just a reference as well, but combined with the aesthetic being similar I think it could indicate more.

I would be totally down with a Retro made 2D Metroid with the DKCR engine though.

NateDrake

This is the only bit of info Nintendo has even issued on the game: Blast Ball, a new six-player sci-fi sports experience...

TDLink

This is the only bit of info Nintendo has even issued on the game: Blast Ball, a new six-player sci-fi sports experience...

Right, and this is suspicious as well. For something that was just revealed there is a shocking lack of officially released material. Just what we saw on the stream. It looks like something light even for an eshop only release. It feels like there's more to it.

Things that remind one of Metroid:

- The font (logo and in-game)
- The health (99 counter)
- The charge shot animation
- The general look of the HUD

My guess is a multi-player mode (maybe even free) of a bigger Metroid game on 3DS.

Jawmuncher

Nah. I think it's going to be its own thing. Just some 3DS downloadable. It might have been metroid at one point though.

It DOES look a whole lot like MP:H. Exactly what I thought when I saw it. I'm going with the theory that it was once part of a Hunters sequel and has morphed into Blast Ball.

Metroid Prime Hunters 2 is literally the worst-case scenario for me when it comes to a new Metroid game. I would honestly rather have Other M 2 than another Hunters game.

I'm hoping Blast Ball has nothing to do with Metroid. It looks fun and I'd be interested in playing it if it's an eShop release. If it's part of Hunters 2 I'm going to be crushed.

I'm going to assume "MPH project that was turned into a standalone ip at some point."

It just.... doesn't seem like the mindgame would actually be exciting enough to make a bait and switch worth it. It seems more likely that a relatively-unpopular spinoff of a subseries of a modestly-successful IP would have a better shot at a new life as a standalone, possibly free-to-play game. Also, "We chose to follow other m by releasing a sequel to what WAS the least-popular game in the franchise before other m happened after several years of inactivity" just seems too crushingly oblivious even for Nintendo. making it a new minor ip evades that for the most part.

Tusk

I feel you guys might be grasping. It's obviously just it's own little game, that's slightly similar to Metroid.

was hunters that bad

This thread makes hunters sound terrible

I played a lot of it when it came out. I was even in an online clan, and had matches with other Metroid Prime Hunters clans. A lot of my time was spent in Metroid Prime Hunters

It's not good. I don't want another one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
was hunters that bad

Great little handheld multiplayer shooter set within the Metroid universe. Would in no way satiate fans actually after more Metroid. I enjoyed it plenty, felt like a great Unreal Tournament mod. Put a lot of hours into the multi. But a Hunters 2 isn't going to make me want Metroid 5 and/or Metroid Prime 4 any less.

RK128

It could be a hint at a larger 3DS Metroid game....and I could picture this being the MP mode of the game with the single player being something different entirely. This is a case where we should wait until Nintendo's Digital Event on Tuseday, as we don't know enough to make a strong guess whenever or not if this is a Prime Hunters 2.

Besides, Nintendo isn't dumb; the 'last' Metroid game had an overwhelming negative reaction from both the press and consumers. I think that if they are going to make anything Metroid, it will be a proper 3D Prime game, a much (MUCH) stronger game using the Other M core mechanics as a base and/or make a 2.5D Metroid developed by Next Level Games.

Any of these would be fantastic and I expect at least one of them to pop up at the Nintendo Digital Event.

I think regarding Metroid, we could be getting the following:
-Metroid Prime Hunters 3D developed by NST and Retro Studios; releases August 2015
-Metroid Dread by Next Level Games; releases Fall 2015
-Metroid by Retro Studios coming 2016
-Metroid-Themed content coming for future Mario Kart 8 DLC (Samus's Ship as a Kart, Samus a playable racer, Zebus or Prime Track)

And that this year would be the year of Metroid :D! ......A lot of that is dreaming, but I would imagine that considering Zelda got delayed, and they haven't used the Metroid brand for anything in a while, it would make since to hit out strong with three tittles being announced at once :).

TDLink

was hunters that bad

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing. The campaign left a lot to be desired but I had quite a bit of fun with the multiplayer. It was also notably the first Nintendo online game that let you match make with randoms and add them to your friends list. If I remember right (although I may not be) it even had voice chat, which is something a lot of modern Nintendo games still don't have.

I think conceptually a multiplayer-focused Metroid Prime game could still work (although I would hope it would be bundled with a better campaign as well). Hunters was mediocre but it doesn't mean they can't do better if they try again.

iBlue

It doesn't look like hunters at all. As someone who spent more than 500hrs on that game i can say they are totally different. In the other hand a new MPH 2 would awesome! but this time work on the story mode so single player dont complain.

Why yall act like there cant be 2 metroid games?

Also, why yall acting like this means its on 3DS? lol

Im 100% sure this metroid related probably a mini game the details they released for it is coy as fuck.

I was thinking the same thing. Would not be at all surprised if this is Metroid 3DS (maybe not "Hunters 2", maybe so), and they reveal that this is the multiplayer mode. Would explain why they didn't announce when this game would be available, why they sort of obliquely referred to it as an "experience," etc.

Top Bottom