• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 news: Xbox 360 pics - 720p, FSAA, sold 7 m, O RLY? YA RLY!

Halo 2 looks like crap on my 55" Sony HDTV, especially compared to games that were designed with progressive, widescreen in mind (like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, to name one of many). You can't get an idea of how bad the 480p signal looks on an HDTV until you see it in person. Screenshots cannot convey it. 720p and FSAA will be a welcome change for us HDTV owners. Unfortunately, I don't think they can do anything about the lack of true widescreen support (on HDTV, the reticule is still an oval instead of a circle).

GhaleonEB

Sp3eD said:
so where are the additional Halo 1 PC CTF maps to actually make CTF fun again?

Weaksauce. Try the pistol route, or ask if the popup is fixed. Or maybe the ending! Lots of better options to troll with. I'm sure you'll do better next time.

Gek54

joaomgcd said:
I think this would be a better comparison:

halo2_480i.jpg

halo2cine2.jpg

Halo2 does have some AA right? This is a better comparison.

Halo2lowres.jpg

halo2cine2.jpg

mmlemay said:
Unfortunately, I don't think they can do anything about the lack of true widescreen support (on HDTV, the reticule is still an oval instead of a circle).

This is true of most last gen games that was designed for mostly 4:3 output. Most 2D HUD assets are not bothered to be redone for 16:9 but simply stretched within 16:9 mode.

I think with X360 games, the 2D HUD assets are designed from the get go for 16:9 so this problem will be a thing of the past.

Gek54 said:
Textures actually look better on the lower res.

480p one is a frame buffer grab and the 720p one is a still from a video cap so you might want to wait and see the native 720p pic before making any conclusions of such nature.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Beatbox said:
News Flash: Xbox360 not powerfull enough to render fanny packs. :lol

S'an Easter Egg. All Marine models, and even ODSTs, spawn with different load outs. They can appear with no helmets, with ammo cases, all sorts of variations - and since the cinematics are realtime - it happens there too. Props to Wario however, since that's the first time anyone has ever noticed.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
S'an Easter Egg. All Marine models, and even ODSTs, spawn with different load outs. They can appear with no helmets, with ammo cases, all sorts of variations - and since the cinematics are realtime - it happens there too. Props to Wario however, since that's the first time anyone has ever noticed.

Do you work for Bungie? I'd read that you did....

joaomgcd

Gek54 said:
Halo2 does have some AA right? This is a better comparison.

Halo2lowres.jpg

halo2cine2.jpg

Since when did Halo 2 have AA? It looks pixelated like hell on a HDTV... Look at a game like Def Jam FFNY (that also runs at 480p, but with AA I assume, since it looks so jag-free) to see the difference...

Dave Long

Banned
It's going to be interesting seeing how console gamers react to the sharper picture (and hence the more obvious imperfections) of a higher resolution display. You guys have been spoiled by the free anti-aliasing a TV provides for years and years.

eso76

hmm..from the blurry look of the pics i'd say the game is not internally rendered at 1280x720, it looks like it's originally the same res as before and THEN upscaled to 720p

This is the first time when I want to say something, but I don't know what to say. I guess I'm just going to have to wait to pop Halo 2 and Halo: CE into my 360 for myself before I say anything.

Helznicht

You can't get an idea of how bad the 480p signal looks on an HDTV until you see it in person.

QFT

hmm..from the blurry look of the pics i'd say the game is not internally rendered at 1280x720, it looks like it's originally the same res as before and THEN upscaled to 720p

:lol did you even read the post? :lol

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
The high res will really show off the low quality textures that the game has.

Fuma

Banned
Gek54 said:
Fuck off, they are blured in the 720 pic.

Shogmaster said:
480p one is a frame buffer grab and the 720p one is a still from a video cap so you might want to wait and see the native 720p pic before making any conclusions of such nature.

Why dont you do us all a favor and leave the thread.

dorio

Banned
Wow, you guys would bitch about anything. They didn't have to do anything but allow it to look and play like the original game and it would be exactly what most companies have done with BC. I'm glad they bumped up the resolution and thrown in AA to boot.

Wollan

dorio said:
Wow, you guys would bitch about anything. They didn't have to do anything but allow it to look and play like the original game and it would be exactly what most companies have done with BC. I'm glad they bumped up the resolution and thrown in AA to boot.

QFT

Gek54

Shogmaster said:

Sorry, didnt catch that before. All the talk about better texturing with BC I was expecting more.

Helznicht

All the talk about better texturing with BC I was expecting more.

News to me, never heard of such a thing. Who in thier right mind would think devs would re-texture thier old Xbox games for X360 BC?

blackadde

It's like some of you have never seen a res change on a PC game in your lives. Yeah, the 360 will automagically generate new super-fuckton-awesome textures out of what's already on the DVD.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
blackadde said:
It's like some of you have never seen a res change on a PC game in your lives. Yeah, the 360 will automagically generate new super-fuckton-awesome textures out of what's already on the DVD.

You hit the nail on the head.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
How is this anything to complain about? The game is upgraded for 360 in a significant way, and people are bitching? WTF

I say bravo Bungie.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Having FSAA and 720p for BC games are sweet additions. I hope PS3 at least have something like that too.

Unless Sony intends to do the same kind of leg work MS did for modified BC for PS2 games, I'm not sure if this is possible for the way Sony intends for PS3 to PS2 BC to work (which is the same was PS2 to PS1 BC works).

Oxymoron said:
Too bad about Assault on the Control Room and The Library.

Assault on the control room is my fav Halo level. And Library didn't give me any troble like some seems to complain about. It was intense though.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Oxymoron said:
Too bad about Assault on the Control Room and The Library.

Halo did have superb level design, it also had some shockers. So your little bitch fanboy fanny fart wasnt warranted.

Fuma

Banned
m0dus said:
Actually, If you back off your high fucking horse for 30 seconds, you might note that he speaks the truth. The textures look a bit blurrier. this could be because there may be some interpolation going on to smooth out the textures as they go from low to high res. It may also be because of the nature of the capture (video vs frame grab). You'll notice some of the folds in the Master Chief's joints are gone. that's not due to a video grab, methinks, but interpolation

Either way, no need to be a complete dick about it, chum.

I'm surprised you feel this way. Want me to grab his post history and show you all the times he trolls xbox/360 threads? Thats all he does. He's an annoying troll and deserved it imo. Secondly as Shog already pointed out (and from the Bungie article itself) the 720 grabs werent direct feed.

GhaleonEB

Shogmaster said:
Assault on the control room is my fav Halo level. And Library didn't give me any troble like some seems to complain about. It was intense though.

No doubt. AotCR is a truly amazing level. The level design in Halo is uniformly good; the only downside is that you have to backtrack through a few of them. But the gameplay was soooo good that I never minded, ever.

I could post some other comments I haven't had to regurgitate in a year (everyone switched to bitching about Halo 2 then) but I don't want to derail the thread further.

This is a very cool thing that Bungie did and I'm thrilled. Haters can suck a pickle.

GhaleonEB said:
No doubt. AotCR is a truly amazing level. The level design in Halo is uniformly good; the only downside is that you have to backtrack through a few of them. But the gameplay was soooo good that I never minded, ever.

I could post some other comments I haven't had to regurgitate in a year (everyone switched to bitching about Halo 2 then) but I don't want to derail the thread further.

This is a very cool thing that Bungie did and I'm thrilled. Haters can suck a pickle.
The only bad part about Halo 1's level design was the repetition in geometry. The environments are perfectly fine to fight in and vary enough to create different tactical situations. I will never understand why people always complain about Halo's level design.

Norse

GAF'rs are just pathetic....We are witnessing a first in console history and yet people sit here and condemn everything. A next gen system is coming out that will play a last gen game and improve its resolution, and aspect ratio just by playing it on the new system.

Since wario64 hasnt been banned yet, time for an addition to my ignore list.

Norse said:
GAF'rs are just pathetic....We are witnessing a first in console history and yet people sit here and condemn everything. A next gen system is coming out that will play a last gen game and improve its resolution, and aspect ratio just by playing it on the new system.

Since wario64 hasnt been banned yet, time for an addition to my ignore list.

Ignore wario64?! That's just foolish. No one takes sarcastic humor or anything?

Top Bottom