• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucifer TV Show Based on Neil Gaiman's Sandman in Development by FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Fox feted the premiere of its new series Gotham last night in New York, the network is betting on another drama based on a DC character from a top series creator. Fox has given a put pilot commitment to Lucifer, from Californication creator/executive producer Tom Kapinos and DC Comics sibling Warner Bros TV, which is behind all DC-themed TV projects.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/lucifer-show-pilot-dc-comics-fox-834452/

So many superhero shows in development now. With Constantine also in development but by NBC, I doubt we'll see any crossovers. Still, the chance of getting Lucifer onscreen... :)

Penguin

Was wondering where this thread was

If nothing else, seems like DC is taking TV extremely serious. it's kind of bizarre though
Maybe abit overkill

SD-Ness

I'm not confident that these networks will produce quality shows. I want HBO or AMC to take on The Sandman.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not confident that these networks will produce quality shows. I want HBO or AMC to take on The Sandman.

The Sandman itself is skipping TV. Warner Bros and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are making a movie.

CW Presents Sand, featuring numerous original creations who are all women and want to fuck Dream (who is never referred to as Dream by anyone ever). Dream and all other Eternals are extremely good looking and take off their shirts / wear tight dresses and skimpy outfits constantly.

DrSlek

I was wondering when a Lucifer TV series would show up.

I hope they can do juctice to such a magnificent bastard. If he's depicted in any way as achieving his goals through force and violence, it will be a very poor adaptation.

IIFGYJD.jpg

CW Presents Sand, featuring numerous original creations who are all women and want to fuck Dream (who is never referred to as Dream by anyone ever). Dream and all other Eternals are extremely good looking and take off their shirts / wear tight dresses and skimpy outfits constantly.

Will they bump overplayed pop songs while the characters have softcore love scenes? If so, SOLD.

Radioactive, Radioactive!

This is probably gonna be horrible. I mean, Californication? There's a chance that it could be alright, but I wouldn't wager on it.

You can joke, but I'd trust the Arrow/Flash writers more than I'd trust whoever the hell thought that Gotham was acceptable.

Wiktor

So many superhero shows in development now. W:)

Since when is ‘Lucifer a superhero? :D He was mostly a part Vertigo universe when it was still completely separate from DC's main superhero continuity.

This is why DC will always slaughter Marvel in TV development, as they have a huge number of great TV-friendly IPs that aren't about superheroes. I mean..there's Constantine and iZombie shows airing soon. And Preacher, DMZ and Scalped in development and none of those have anything to do with superheroes

Anyway, great news. ‘Lucifer is perfect for a tv show and getting Californication guy to do it somehow makes a beatiful twisted sense :D

And I guess somebody picking up Books of Magic is only a matter of time? :D

Doing this interpretation of Lucifer without his Sandman origin seems a bit weird to me.

I know he can exist just as well on his own but the Hell storylines in The Sandman pretty much set up his entire arc.

Wiktor

Doing this interpretation of Lucifer without his Sandman origin seems a bit weird to me.

I know he can exist just as well on his own but the Hell storylines in The Sandman pretty much set up his entire arc.

Just have him hand off the keys to somebody else. Sandman might have set up the character, but Mike Carey made him what is is. He's much more of a Carey's character than Gainman at this point.

Wiktor

I don't like DC's film and tv strategy.
People gonna be so confused.

Why? This strategy ensures they won't be. Most people won't even know those are DC shows or that at one point Lucifer and Constantine lived on the same Earth. Marvel's shared universe aproach would be a diseaster here.

rude

Banned
I can't imagine this not being butchered to hell and back (tehe), but I'll be following this project closely.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Two Flashes, Gotham a new batman and the dark knight trilogy all in the last 10 years, Arrow using up a lot of DC villains, this stuff now.

Isn't Constantine also a new show?

Shared universe would've been great, who cares if its a copy.

Hazmat

I don't see how you can do Lucifer without setting him up with the Season of Mists storyline from Sandman. Also, it's on network TV so it will probably be terrible regardless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this actually Gaiman's Lucifer, who had a relatively limited arc, or Lucifer in his spinoff comic, which built off of Gaiman's Lucifer but wasn't really under his control?

DrSlek

Easy. Just start the series during the events of Sandman Presents: Lucifer, where he comes into possession of the letter of passage which will start off the chain of events in his own series. At the start of the first episode, just show him handing over the gate keys to Robert Smith or Neil Gaiman. In Sandman it was a very sudden decision to retire, and so the Lucifer TV series wouldn't need to include much context, if any, as to what led up to it.

Wiktor

Shared universe would've been great, who cares if its a copy.

Constantine works a lot better in a world without superheroes. And DC shows will be airing on CW, TNT, Fox and NBC. Good luck trying to fit make them all work together.

Shared universe aproach would be a diseaster. Let's assume best case scenario. We have Constantine, Gotham, Lucifer, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Teen Titans. That's at least 150 hours of tv each year. They would very soon run into huge probles when trying to make it all work together. Not to mention each tv crew would be heavily limited to what they can do, because they would have to mind other shows.

Crossovers are fine, but they're not worth making whole shows a lot worse in the process. The best aproach is to have each network make their own mini continuity. If they want crossovers they can follow CW's example with Arrow/Flash and do spin-offs, effectively having a mini-shared universe limited to their own network. THis way they can get the benefit of cool crossover events, while at the same time not being bundled with all the creative constrains.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. First Constantine, now Lucifer? It's like they're trawling through all my favourite comic books.

I haven't seen Constantine but it seems like there were quite a lot of mixed reactions to the pilot, so I'm guessing it'll be fairly mediocre. Will Lucy suffer the same fate...?

Constantine works a lot better in a world without superheroes.

This is true, but he fits nicely into the other Vertigo supernatural stuff. He was in Sandman, plus Lucifer popped up for a panel in Hellblazer.

I've always wanted to see if John could get the best of Lucifer (all written by Carey, of course).

Easy. Just start the series during the events of Sandman Presents: Lucifer, where he comes into possession of the letter of passage which will start off the chain of events in his own series. At the start of the first episode, just show him handing over the gate keys to Robert Smith or Neil Gaiman. In Sandman it was a very sudden decision to retire, and so the Lucifer TV series wouldn't need to include much context, if any, as to what led up to it.

This, although I'd keep it a mystery ("Why isn't Lucifer running Hell anymore?"). Lucifer's motivations shouldn't ever be transparent. As the show develops, we'll find out more and more.

Why? This strategy ensures they won't be. Most people won't even know those are DC shows or that at one point Lucifer and Constantine lived on the same Earth. Marvel's shared universe aproach would be a diseaster here.

My thoughts exactly. I can't tell you how many DC movies I've seen and didn't even realize they were DC properties until long after I had seen the movie.
Like V for Vendetta, The Losers, The Watchmen, Constantine, Jonah Hex, and probably 3-4 more I can't think of at the moment (A HIstory of Violence, Road to Perdition, Red, Red 2, League of Extraordinary Gentelmen).

Most of these shows will be the same. No one will be looking for connections except for die hard DC comic fans, outside of things like Arrow, Flash, and other mainstreamed hero shows. Sandman, Lucifer, Constantine, iZombie, etc etc. will not even draw a relation to DC out of the general audience.

Wiktor

I haven't seen Constantine but it seems like there were quite a lot of mixed reactions to the pilot, so I'm guessing it'll be fairly mediocre.

Most reactions to it have been very positive. Yeah, it was rough in some places, but it's still preair pilot and the potential is just oozing from it. And the one really weak thing about it (female lead) they are actually going to throw out after first ep and replace it with somebody much cooler straight from comics. There's a reason why it has the biggest social media buzz out of all upcoming shows.

So cheer up, so far it looks like it will be glorious. Glorious enough to make me try making my first OT here :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just have him hand off the keys to somebody else. Sandman might have set up the character, but Mike Carey made him what is is. He's much more of a Carey's character than Gainman at this point.

Gaiman's work on Lucifer is too good for that to be true.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Most reactions to it have been very positive. Yeah, it was rough in some places, but it's still preair pilot and the potential is just oozing from it. There's a reason why it has the biggest social media buzz out of all upcoming shows.

So cheer up, so far it looks like it will be glorious. Glorious enough to make me try making my first OT here :D

Oh really? Apologies, I must've had my GAF-tinted glasses on! :D Is it not a little, I dunno, neutered?

Raguel

Oh man, on one hand, I'm excited for this because Lucifer is one of my all time favorite comic series (and in some cases, i like it better than Sandman) but on the other hand, its coming from Fox, which i am damn sure will neuter the fucking thing. It needs to be on HBO not on basic cable. I'm so mixed on this news. I want to be hopeful. But then Fox.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see Fox News blast this part of FOX for glorifying the devil, like the snake eating its own tail.

Platy

Hope for the best, I guess...

Since when is ‘Lucifer a superhero? :D He was mostly a part Vertigo universe when it was still completely separate from DC's main superhero continuity.

This is why DC will always slaughter Marvel in TV development, as they have a huge number of great TV-friendly IPs that aren't about superheroes. I mean..there's Constantine and iZombie shows airing soon. And Preacher, DMZ and Scalped in development and none of those have anything to do with superheroes

Anyway, great news. ‘Lucifer is perfect for a tv show and getting Californication guy to do it somehow makes a beatiful twisted sense :D

I wish to have your optmism ...

And I liked the Constantine pilot =P

Marc

What?!!

I can't believe anyone would have the balls to make that, it is amazing comic that doesn't get the credit it is due.

Fox making it though, ehhhhhh.

Also, it is not Gaiman's if we're talking about the comic Lucifer. Completely different beasts.

Imagine the outcry from Harry Potter fans shouting plagiarism. Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom