• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Vs. PSVita: Digital Foundry interview with Just Add Water

Takao

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-oddworld-vs-playstation-vita

Pretty good interview discussing the technical power of Vita vs. PS3, the difference in developing for the two, and something I know a lot of Vita GAF wants more of, native res:

Digital Foundry: We have the bizarre situation of Vita running the HD remasters of Metal Gear at sub-native Vita resolution - most the image quality boost comes from a move to progressive scan, not increased res. Can you give us some insight into the challenges of operating at full res on the Vita hardware?

Peter Memmott: Yes, Stranger's Wrath runs at full 960x544 resolution. The screen on the Vita is a wonderful and vibrant display and it would seem a shame not to use it to its full potential. After porting Stranger's Wrath I can understand why, at the start of the project, you might think about the compromise of a lower resolution to give you a decent frame-rate. This was our approach for the first half of the project. It was only after an intense period of optimisation that we realised we would be able to run at native resolution and have the decent frame-rate as well.

To run at full resolution it really came down to fill-rate and making the necessary changes to make sure the GPU isn't overloaded for any part of the frame. One of the biggest problems for us was having a lot of full-screen passes during each frame for various effects. There's an extra overhead for doing each of these passes because a new scene needs to be started for each one, so it's a good idea to reduce the number of scenes or change the scene order to combine scenes that render to the same buffer. Playing with the order of the draw calls within each scene also led to some improvement because of the way the system implements deferred tile rendering. Another big gain came from the bloom effect where we combined several blur passes into one single pass and compensated by changing the pattern of the texture samples.

Some of the more obvious enhancements that might easily be overlooked include: using the correct CG optimisation compiler options, switching to the alternative power mode during single-player gameplay to increase the GPU clock speed, and reducing the resolution of shadow, reflection and other effect buffers.

Seems Digital Foundry got a Vita devkit, or JAW assisted them, as there's direct feed comparison videos in the article.

Spiegel

Thanks. I'm reading it now

EDT

Yes, they've got a devkit it seems

Digital Foundry articles rely heavily upon video assets for judging aspects such as graphical features and performance and, thanks to some customised hardware, we can finally acquire direct-feed Vita visuals to pore over at our leisure and share with you.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyone know if this game takes you offline for single player mode?
Curious if that refers to this:

Some of the more obvious enhancements that might easily be overlooked include: using the correct CG optimisation compiler options, switching to the alternative power mode during single-player gameplay to increase the GPU clock speed, and reducing the resolution of shadow, reflection and other effect buffers.

Edit: that explains that.
Further confirmation on that issue it seems.

M3d10n

Yeah, doing multiple passes in PowerVR hardware can be expensive: there's an overhead at the beginning of the rendering because it needs to buffer all drawing commands into a "scene" which is then processed to figure out which polygons fall into each tile.

There's also a few other quirks, like alpha-test being a massive performance killer, so foliage becomes a real challenge because you need to use actual alpha-blending and sort geometry.

sajj316

Well done by JAW. Looking for forward to additional titles in the Oddworld universe. Vita version sold better than PS3 version as well.

Withnail

Leaderboards coming to both the PS3 & Vita versions next month is also new I think. Though Goldenhelmet was dropping hints about it here a while back.

Finally got around to reading this. Absolutely glorious and thanks to JAW for being so open about the project.
I swear these guys set the precedent on how to approach the system

Also, new patch is wonderful!

bumpkin

Ctrl + F, "Munch". No results... Damn.

I just want to know when the hell Munch Vita is coming! They said late February way back when the PS3 version was released, and it's been radio silence on the subject since.

Ctrl + F, "Munch". No results... Damn.

I just want to know when the hell Munch Vita is coming! They said late February way back when the PS3 version was released, and it's been radio silence on the subject since.

It's coming, just taking a little longer than we'd hoped...

this game looks and plays great on VITA. JAW did a great job. Still got to finish it though (caught up in other games).

Like any console more tricks to getting games running better will be found as time goes on. Wonder what they will be able to pull off on this thing in a couple of years.

DiscoJer

Sony should really take note and hire this studio to bring other PS3 titles to the Vita.

One of the thing I liked about the PSP was getting ports of popular PS2 games. I hoped that would continue with the Vita much more than it has.

rjc571

Banned
Am I the only one who would much rather see the Vita get up-ports of PS2/Xbox era games than downports of PS3 games? (Though technically I suppose this is a PS3 downport of an Xbox up-port, but it's still superior to the Xbox version unlike say Ninja Gaiden Vita.) I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I would re-buy a ton of old PS2 games that I already own if they were ported to the Vita and ran at 960x544 native with antialiasing, 60 fps and improved assets. I'm not interested in playing downgraded versions of PS3 games like the new Sly Cooper on the Vita.

Afrit

Am I the only one who would much rather see the Vita get up-ports of PS2/Xbox era games than downports of PS3 games? (Though technically I suppose this is a PS3 downport of an Xbox up-port, but it's still superior to the Xbox version unlike say Ninja Gaiden Vita.) I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I would re-buy a ton of old PS2 games that I already own if they were ported to the Vita and ran at 960x544 native with antialiasing, 60 fps and improved assets. I'm not interested in playing downgraded versions of PS3 games like the new Sly Cooper on the Vita.

I like that. lots of games from that era deserve to be brought back for vita. It would work if Sony can make some new development tools to facilitate the porting process, & make it a viable option for devs.

I like that. lots of games from that era deserve to be brought back for vita. It would work if Sony can make some new development tools to facilitate the porting process, & make it a viable option for devs.

I dunno, it could go either way. The Metal Gear ports were handled by a well respected team and the framerate was at time inferior to the ps2 originals, specifically in MGS2 where there were times that the framerate locked at 30 fps. I'd rather have perfect ports than an attempt to make upres'd ports that are in some ways lacking to their original counterparts.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah, I'll be buying anything JAW puts on the Vita in the future. They did a really great job with the SW port. Can't wait for Munch, the only Oddworld game I haven't played yet (skipped the 360 due to a family member having it).

spwolf

so you would play PS2 ports because technically they are superior than PS2 games, but wouldnt play PS3 ports because they are technically inferior to PS3 games, even if PS3 ports and superior than PS2 ports?

:)

Afrit

I dunno, it could go either way. The Metal Gear ports were handled by a well respected team and the framerate was at time inferior to the ps2 originals, specifically in MGS2 where there were times that the framerate locked at 30 fps. I'd rather have perfect ports than an attempt to make upres'd ports that are in some ways lacking to their original counterparts.

I was thinking of straight ports
PS2>>PSVITA
not nessarily
PS2>>PS3 HD>> PSVITA ports

Doesn't need to add lot's of high res textures work, just some antialiasing if needed

another example of a ps2 port done nicely just like SW

Top Bottom