• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm playing through this game slowly and wavering back and forth over whether I hate it or think its ok. I love resident evil 4 and this is not that game at all. I really miss Resident Evil 4's silly campy tiny zombie napoleon atmosphere and great level design.

I actually enjoy the game more when its being an action game. I despise stealth and hiding and waiting behind a wall for an enemy to turn its back. I'm much more interested tactical combat with limited resources. Thankfully, I've been able to fight my way through most of the game without any kind of stupid stealth.

When I first tried playing chapter 1 with the black bars I almost gave up on the game. Once I got into chapter 3 and patched out the bars and fixed the FoV I started to enjoy myself a lot more.

That said, there are some things that really, really grate against me:
I hate not being able to backtrack. It makes me so mad when I see two doors and I know that one will be progress and one will be goodies and I can't tell which is which. Half the time I'll choose door B hoping its the goodies room only for the game to throw me into a cutscene and go, "WRONG NO TAKEBACKS CHECKPOINTING NOW"

The game has a *lot* of cheap deaths. Unkillable enemies with 1-hit kills could be fun, maybe, but the ones this game has are not. Chapter 9 was an unbelievable level of bullshit when
Ruvik shows up. He doesn't even attack, he just kind of raises his arm and then you die. He would often teleport right into my face and kill me. His arm isn't even a hitbox, if the AI decides to raise his arm you just die. I even died once when I was a good 12 feet away from him and the game killed me anyway. I tried hiding in a closet once and he just opened the closet and killed me. The times I survived I just ran to room like the library that has a blocking obstacle in the middle and played ring around the rosy until he left me alone. Even that didn't work on one attempt because he teleported into my face and killed me. Part of me feels like he is actually bugged and some people just get lucky and don't see the buggy behavior.

In addition to that, (chapter... 10?)
I have really not enjoyed hair lady being a 1-hit kill. Her sections might have actually been fun if she just did damage. But instead of an intense game of cat and mouse it was more likely just about dieing until I had memorized where I need to go in each room. And because these sections checkpoint so frequently you're almost encouraged to die until you've memorized your route to conserve on resources.

And the final thing that comes to mind is I hate that enemy attacks lock you into an animation. Like if you and an enemy attack each other at the same time, your attack gets canceled to switch into 'enemy attacks you in a cutscene' mode.

The main thing keeping me going in the game is just the sheer variety. Every chapter has had a very different feel to it and that is really incredible.

edit: I forget what difficulty I'm playing on. Probably hard if that is an option at the start.

Voidance

Wolfenstein is definitely my GOTY so far. It has such a well realized, cohesive, and interesting world balanced by a lovely campy tone --yet still takes the story seriously--really memorable characters, and incredibly fun gunplay.

I agree with you about Wolfenstein -- it's my GOTY too, which is odd because I am not overly fond of FPS games (but I will play them if they sound good). The only thing that could take its place is Shadow of Mordor, but the jury is still out on it until I complete it.

I finished Chapter 4 in TEW, but can't bring myself to continue playing. The game still hasn't clicked and I don't really enjoy the narrow FOV and black bars. It feels like it creates "fake" tension by severely limiting your sight rather than through compelling gameplay. This is probably a game I should not have bought, all things considered, since I didn't care for (or finish) RE4.

Nemmy

I finished Chapter 4 in TEW, but can't bring myself to continue playing. The game still hasn't clicked and I don't really enjoy the narrow FOV and black bars. It feels like it creates "fake" tension by severely limiting your sight rather than through compelling gameplay. This is probably a game I should not have bought, all things considered, since I didn't care for (or finish) RE4.

Out of curiosity, what made you buy it? Hanging around gaf makes it look like most people bought it because Mikami made it, though I suspect we might actually be the minority.
It also seems a lot of people loved RE4 and still dislike TEW, so it seems it's one of those games that you have to play in order to know if it's for you or not.

I kind of like the claustrophobic feel of the narrow FOV, but those black bars, god damnit... playing the game on a 16:10 monitor means literally half of my screen is black >.> and messing around the cfg files on PC screws with the UI in hilarious ways. So yeah, not a fan of the aspect ratio.

slayn

Out of curiosity, what made you buy it? Hanging around gaf makes it look like most people bought it because Mikami made it, though I suspect we might actually be the minority.
It also seems a lot of people loved RE4 and still dislike TEW, so it seems it's one of those games that you have to play in order to know if it's for you or not.

I kind of like the claustrophobic feel of the narrow FOV, but those black bars, god damnit... playing the game on a 16:10 monitor means literally half of my screen is black >.> and messing around the cfg files on PC screws with the UI in hilarious ways. So yeah, not a fan of the aspect ratio.
I downloaded something called 'flawless wide screen' which removed the black bars, lets you set the fov, and fixes a lot of UI issues that are then caused by doing that. A lot easier to play with than messing with config files yourself I think.

There is still some UI glitchiness though like when you bring up the sniper rifle it doesn't black out where the black bars were and some visual effects like blood on camera when you get hit are clipped to where the black bars would be.

Voidance

GAF made me initially interested in it. I visited my buddy (he is a survival horror nut) who downloaded it on his PC and I thought I would really like playing it it after watching him run through some of the game. Wrong!

I never died to
Ruvik
on chapter 9 but looking through the thread it does seem it is very polarizing on how hard/easy it is. Did anyone who have trouble, pre-emptively wasting stamina by running on sight? He walks slower than you walk and when I saw him teleport, I just did a quick run to get a away then start walking till he disappeared. His kill attack seems to be really close, he was literally tailing about 5 inches from Seb in a small circle and he didn't kill me, same when I ran past him near the ground floor brain surgery in the narrow kitchen like place. He didn't seem to bad too juke, though I have experience juking zombies ever since RE2, and if you can juke Nemesis in RE3, you can juke anything.

kodecraft

GAF made me initially interested in it. I visited my buddy (he is a survival horror nut) who downloaded it on his PC and I thought I would really like playing it it after watching him run through some of the game. Wrong!

This is what happens when caught into the hype. Hanging around on GAF you'll buy anything to be apart of it. You have to genuinely trust your own tastes in things.

Personally I'm a bit of a fanboy of Mikami more than I am survival-horror. TEW was day one for me, without question.

Now, on GAF Bayo 2 and Sunset Overdrive will pull you into the hype if you aren't careful.

But a good damn game is just that a good damn game.

Alien Isolation, TEW, Sunset Overdrive, Bayo 2, Shadow of Mordor and more....take your pick or picks, sit back and ride the rest of the year out playing games!

Chapter 12- the only thing I didn't like was the boss not being video gamey enough, unless I'm doing something wrong it was way too straightforward. Also if they wanted to make it an action scene they should have gone full RE about it =D

Anyway I've also playing a bit into Chapter 13... This game never fails to still make me cautions about their stealth sections by throwing in new enemies,
This time I assume they're the Fake Ruviks that people were talking about? Another can't be stealth kill enemy, but thanks to my Lv 5 Harpoon Bolts, they went down with oneshot. And then there's the Keeper section again, goddamnit I thought I was about to die but I somehow survived by running around...

I couldn't find the key that dropped down from the goddess statue I destroyed, where is it?

I guess I am one of the few who is disappointed that
Ruvik
doesn't pop up more to screw with you like in chapter 9.

He only seemed to pop up for me either near a brain or when I went to pick up one of the dials for the safe. People have said he seemed random, but the only time it felt random for me was right after I came out of the save room he started chasing me, the others felt like it was after I picked up an important item or close to where I needed to be. Though it is probably the case where he is scripted to appear at certain points and random at other times. The enemies though, some of them started showing up when I backtracked to double check some rooms with nothing in them, so they might be random because I wouldn't know what reason they would show up if I already cleared the room before.

slayn

I never died to
Ruvik
on chapter 9 but looking through the thread it does seem it is very polarizing on how hard/easy it is. Did anyone who have trouble, pre-emptively wasting stamina by running on sight? He walks slower than you walk and when I saw him teleport, I just did a quick run to get a away then start walking till he disappeared. His kill attack seems to be really close, he was literally tailing about 5 inches from Seb in a small circle and he didn't kill me, same when I ran past him near the ground floor brain surgery in the narrow kitchen like place. He didn't seem to bad too juke, though I have experience juking zombies ever since RE2, and if you can juke Nemesis in RE3, you can juke anything.
It was very unclear to me what the 'range' on his attack is because he doesn't actually have an attack. If he begins his attack animation you are already dead. Like it doesn't matter if you are sprinting and 10+ ft behind him when he gets his poking finger ready, you will just collapse on the ground dead 10ft behind him. It would be a lot less bullshit if he actually had to hit you with an attack I think.

I think its really very simple.
Imagine there is an enemy that instantly kills you when you touch them. Then you give this enemy the ability to spawn and/or teleport anywhere. There are a lot of bullshit ways that can play out (spawn on you, spawn behind you in a narrow dead end, teleport on you, teleport behind the door you are opening so you open the door into them and die, and so forth. But its governed by a random AI so some people will experience the bullshit and others won't.

hiex_

Banned
Same here, I shot it from the same level the statue was on and I couldn't find it below (still miffed about that one). Maybe we had to shoot it from below?

You can break the statue from above, I threw a bottle at it. The key is in the burning room with a busted ceiling, sitting in a dark corner. I had to search a little for it.

Nemmy

I downloaded something called 'flawless wide screen' which removed the black bars, lets you set the fov, and fixes a lot of UI issues that are then caused by doing that. A lot easier to play with than messing with config files yourself I think.

There is still some UI glitchiness though like when you bring up the sniper rifle it doesn't black out where the black bars were and some visual effects like blood on camera when you get hit are clipped to where the black bars would be.

Sounds almost too good to be true. I hope it doesn't mess with the Steam achievements?

One part that cracks me up is that when the "chapter complete" screens show up, they don't cover the screen fully after the aspect ratio is changed - so you can see the cutscene underneath is still running for about a second! Similarly with some black screens when Seb blacks out, or there's a fade in at the start of a chapter etc., sometimes the cutscene underneath them is actually rendered normally. I don't know if this kinda stuff persists if this flawless wide screen thing is used, but it's quite funny.

slayn

Sounds almost too good to be true. I hope it doesn't mess with the Steam achievements?

One part that cracks me up is that when the "chapter complete" screens show up, they don't cover the screen fully after the aspect ratio is changed - so you can see the cutscene underneath is still running for about a second! Similarly with some black screens when Seb blacks out, or there's a fade in at the start of a chapter etc., sometimes the cutscene underneath them is actually rendered normally. I don't know if this kinda stuff persists if this flawless wide screen thing is used, but it's quite funny.
The cutscenes work fine with what I'm using, but yeah it looks like I'm not getting any steam achievements. (I give 0 fucks about achievements so I hadn't noticed but given that I'm on chapter 10 and have 0 achievements I'm guessing I should have some by now)

Nemmy

The cutscenes work fine with what I'm using, but yeah it looks like I'm not getting any steam achievements. (I give 0 fucks about achievements so I hadn't noticed but given that I'm on chapter 10 and have 0 achievements I'm guessing I should have some by now)

Yeah, there's a couple unmissable ones (namely for killing bosses), so you'd have them by now. That's too bad. I like having high achievement count for games I actually care about, but that's me ;)

All this while
the Keeper is chasing you @_@? lol
IIRC,
you can hide and he just gets up and walks away, leaving you to collect the stuff in peace.
The thing for me was, I shot the statue and the key fell down, but when I got down to that room, it was nowhere to be found, I looked up, and the statue was whole again so I had to shoot it again.

JRW

Uh, is screen grain even noticeable? I started playing without it, at 0% but when I crank it up to 100%, I don't see a difference, also started a new game with the screen grain at 100%, still I don't see a damn difference at all.

Game still has a clean look to it, btw I'm on PC.

I can totally see the difference between 0% & 100% (PC version) Not sure if it matters that I'm playing on a 50" Plasma, I have it set to 70% grain.

Zolbrod

Finally finished it yesterday.

Played on Survival, a little over 21 hours, 184 deaths.
Yeah, I died a lot but overall the game didn't feel that hard to me.

My main bottlenecks were
the Sadist in Chapter 3
and that horrible part in
Chapter 15 where you had to fight waves of fodder enemies, then a Fake, then another Sadist. The actual final boss was a piece of cake.

If I didn't have a million other games to get to, I might've played this again on Nightmare.
Quite content with it.

Just finished the game again and I think it glitched. Said I had 700+ deaths before it showed the real total which was 33. Or was I seeing my kill count?

I just cleared the game on Survival at 15:21:37 with 79 deaths. A lot of times it was from when I got careless and ran into traps and bombs. I'm literally still staring at the clear screen, so I'm pretty high off the game right now, but man did I really enjoy this game. A lot of technical and design issues, sure, but the good parts more than make up for it. Right now? I'd give it a 9/10. We'll see how I feel in a few days, but it's a strong contender for my personal GOTY, next to Dark Souls II and Ground Zeroes.

Just finished the game again and I think it glitched. Said I had 700+ deaths before it showed the real total which was 33. Or was I seeing my kill count?

I think I saw something similar. I thought it was just a stylistic thing.

JRW

Chapter 7 is really testing my endurance, So many deaths & repeating the same section lol.

Edit: finally beat it, pretty impressive chapter overall.

Ill Saint

I've been slogging through the game for the last 23 odd hours, and I'm at the beginning of chapter 15 and I've bee chucked into
the eyeball arena
and I just don't know if I can be bothered to keep going, so I'll post some thoughts.

My initial impressions of the game were actually quite positive. I liked the early woods and village areas, and the strong sense of progression and build up of tension. But unfortunately, the plot, characters, and dialogue are far too weak to convincingly carry the narrative forward, which tainted my enjoyment of the game.

Castellanos and his supporting cast are prehaps the most utterly dull and bereft of any character and charisma I've come across in a recent game. There was so little attention or care put into their presentation that a large disconnect began to grow between the narrative and gameplay. Whenever the cardboard duo of Joseph and Kidman, or the cartoonishly generic morally-ambiguous doc, and shrill-voiced K-Pop boy band member Leslie appeared, it became very difficult for me to bridge that divide and take the game and its horror aesthetic and psychological pretences seriously. The nurse is the only character with a hint of intrigue to her, and that's being generous. As the main antagonist, Ruvik has little menacing presence, but at least his voice actor delivers his lines with some conviction. There’s no excuse for such insipid character-driven narrative in today's games. Even taking into consideration the substantial advances in narrative presentation gaming has made since, The Evil Within takes a step backwards from the standard set by Silent Hill 2 in 2001.

The gameplay itself is fairly rudimentary, sticks to the well-worn basics without bringing anything new to the form. Much like The Last of Us, I found it to be at its best and most enjoyable when it encourages you to sneak around every corner, keep a careful eye out for patrolling enemies, and conserve precious ammo for those 'oh shit' moments when you get sprung. Controlling Castellanos can at times be an exercise in frustration, though, as the context sensitive commands for picking up items or climbing obstacles are somewhat fiddly.

Unfortunately there are many moments of bullshit peppered throughout the game, which are simply not fun. One hit kills are numerous and often seem to come out of nowhere. Most boss fights are a chore of trial and error over skill or gameplay mechanics.

But amongst all this, the pacing is very good, and keeps you wanting to push on and see what the next area will be like. It's just a shame that most of the enemies you encounter in them are fairly unimaginative. Though the game is well presented visually, full of intricate details, and nicely rendered areas, It rarely goes beyond the standard horror clichés of zombies, creepy crawling long-haired women and chainsaw wielding psychos. The ambient sound design does a decent job of trying to set a mood or add tension, but again, I can't help but feel that with the typical gurgling, moaning and screeching from the enemies it's all rather standard stuff.

Those last two words, 'standard stuff' are the ones that came to my mind when this game was first revealed. I had hoped to be proven wrong, and gave it the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't show any signs of ambition towards being more than that.

JoeFenix

Oh man, just finished my AKUKU (Akumu no checkpoints/save once per save room only) run and what a blast that was!

Not usually the kind of guy to do self imposed challenges but I really felt the game had way too many checkpoints and would have benefited from a save room only mode. Some parts of the game are clearly designed with checkpoints in mind so I knew it was going to be harsh (and it was hah!) but It's been really fun overall.

Chapter 10-11-12 and 15 (12 especially, holy fuck the entire chapter in one go!) were brutal, you sometimes had to go through 4-5 encounters without being able to save. Combine that with the amount of stuff that can go wrong on Akumu.... It was an experience hah!

I'm officially done with this game until the DLC though, I have to say that it's one of those games that has a ton of flaws but still manages to be greater than the sum of its parts. I would change a TON of stuff about it if I could but I can't deny the fun I've had with it.

Never gonna get sick of those sweet, sweet headshots!

IIRC,
you can hide and he just gets up and walks away, leaving you to collect the stuff in peace.
The thing for me was, I shot the statue and the key fell down, but when I got down to that room, it was nowhere to be found, I looked up, and the statue was whole again so I had to shoot it again.

The Keeper never saw me once. I just snuck about the whole time.

How? lol
I don't even know how he spotted me, all of a sudden my alertness icon flared up and I ran back to the entrance then he showed up. I just assumed it was an auto trigger when I got close enough to a certain point.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
joseph is a perfect facsimile of a resident evil character. wooden acting, almost devoid of identifiable character traits, but somehow wins your affection. it is inexplicable, but undeniable. he is the new barry burton.

Oh man, just finished my AKUKU (Akumu no checkpoints/save once per save room only) run and what a blast that was!

Not usually the kind of guy to do self imposed challenges but I really felt the game had way too many checkpoints and would have benefited from a save room only mode. Some parts of the game are clearly designed with checkpoints in mind so I knew it was going to be harsh (and it was hah!) but It's been really fun overall.

Chapter 10-11-12 and 15 (12 especially, holy fuck the entire chapter in one go!) were brutal, you sometimes had to go through 4-5 encounters without being able to save. Combine that with the amount of stuff that can go wrong on Akumu.... It was an experience hah!

I'm officially done with this game until the DLC though, I have to say that it's one of those games that has a ton of flaws but still manages to be greater than the sum of its parts. I would change a TON of stuff about it if I could but I can't deny the fun I've had with it.

I guess you weren't able to resist this intoxicating power.

Congrats, friend, sounds like a heck of a challenge.

I still have yet to do a second playthrough of this. Got busy with uni, then Korra and Bayonetta came out. But I think I'll jump straight to Akumu whenever I get back to playing. Just so I can have one big main file with everything unlocked on all difficulties. Don't want to do the damn collectibles more than once.

joseph is a perfect facsimile of a resident evil character. wooden acting, almost devoid of identifiable character traits, but somehow wins your affection. it is inexplicable, but undeniable. he is the new barry burton.

Joseph is the dojiko-megane moe character that you want to protect.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, just finished Ch.10 and such mixed feelings on the chapter (and the game as a whole somewhat). You have intense non-linear action parts, TRIAL and ERROR scripted stuff, good boss fights, trial and error scripted boss fights.

It's like I get that Mikami has been on this "Challenging games = good" kick since God Hand, Vanquish and now TEW and I agree it's a good sentiment to have some satisfying challenge in action games.

However when he tries to bring that sentiment of "I WANT EVERYTHING TOUGH" to scripted sequences it just makes them terrible 4/10 trial and error parts of "Ok, what does the scripting want me to do in this part? Die.load.die.load. Alright got part 1 down pat, when does the scripting want me to do in this part? Die.load.die.load. part 3, part 4, etc...after 30+ mins of dying + loading just to figure out all the scripted parts that the game wants you to do for a 5 min segment.

...that's not challenge. Once you know what to do there's no challenge to it and you can run straight through it in 5 mins without taking a hit easily. The fake-challenge is dying repeatedly to learn all the triggers the game wants you to hit to open the next part. Instead of putting you in a real challenge built on the game rules that the game has taught you about, it puts you in a linear scripted sequence where most of the rules and gameplay don't count and it's just about memorizing what to do for the sequence.

I dunno, the game is a bit of a mixed bag on first playthrough. Many parts are absolutely genius and 10/10 gameplay and then in the same chapter you can have 4/10 badly designed parts. Now on further replays, the game quality will be much better as all you'll know exactly what to do for every scripted scene in the game and can blow through those and just enjoy the actual real gameplay rest of the game; but first impressions count and the scripted stuff is just really the weak point of the game. I think the best part so far as been the big action set piece in Ch.6; just giving you an non-linear area, lots of enemies, lots of weapons, ammo, traps; make your own action. Makes me want a DLC mercenaries mode down the line.

hiex_

Banned
How? lol
I don't even know how he spotted me, all of a sudden my alertness icon flared up and I ran back to the entrance then he showed up. I just assumed it was an auto trigger when I got close enough to a certain point.

I was crouched for the entire level, I was so nervous haha. But I think there were only two or three scripted encounters with him, where he was dragging around a haunted's corpse. You can hear him clunking about before you see him, so I'd just keep behind walls and peek out at him. Eventually he'd move on and disappear.

Good job!

And I agree that the game has a lot of flaws but still manages to be greater than the sum of its parts. The core gameplay is just so balanced and addictive. The feel of each weapon and the constant thought of 'how am I going to approach this situation' is perfected. And yeah, dem headshots! This game easily has some of the most satsyfying gun play ever. The weapons feel so powerful and good to use, and the sound of an exploding head with blood splattering everywhere will never get old. And using dat axe? PERFECTION.

Xpliskin

Some DLC info:
-Kidman can throw knifes
-Apparently a flashlight was planned, but it seems to be used by kidman
-Boxman in DLC has three abilities
---Warp
---Place trap
---Take trap

Boxman DLC is like chapter
13 (the hotel), but with you as the boxman

Scoot2005

Banned
Ch. 7 boss is pissing me off. It's not that it's hard, just really annoying and I don't have enough shit to keep up the momentum to take it down lol.

I beat it. Yay.

Neff

Some DLC info:
-Kidman can throw knifes
---Warp
---Place trap
---Take trap

Source pls? I want to chase details.

Pooya

I was enjoying the game up until chapter 10. This is terrible. I'm tired of cheap one shots. It was probably meant to be QTE cutscene but everyone hates QTEs so...I agree, this game could use a good bit of cutting. It's too long, I'm exhausted, it's too dark all the time outside of chapter 6. It's not really spooky anymore just tiring.

RE4 was a long game too but knew how to keep you going.

Just started Ch. 11 - wow such a gorgeous environment. Really been impressed with the way the game looks.

I really enjoyed the oppressiveness of Ch 10. With the only low point being the final encounter.

I love how this game always changes things up and you know the team wanted to cram as many ideas in there as possible, but I think people might of liked the game more if they had more chapters like Ch 3 and 9. Just you, your tools and a bunch of enemies in an open environment - GO.

I don't really have a lot of nitpicks regarding the game, but I can see that there are areas seemingly designed to frustrate the player. I guess I'm lucky in that I view them as a new way to challenge the player and keep them on their toes and I enjoyed beating them.

I must be one of the few that doesn't want the game to end :D - I really hope Mikami gets to make a sequel.

Playing on PC with 30fps and black bars but NG+ I'm definitely going to try unlocked framerate and no bars.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Evil Within is apparently doing pretty well for itself. The Evil Within ranked 3rd best selling game in Japan across all platforms, and 2nd best-selling game across all playfroms in the UK. In the UK, it is also the first game to become the #1 seller on PS4 that isn't FIFA15 since FIFA15 released.

Evil Within is apparently doing pretty well for itself. The Evil Within ranked 3rd best selling game in Japan across all platforms, and 2nd best-selling game across all playfroms in the UK. In the UK, it is also the first game to become the #1 seller on PS4 that isn't FIFA15 since FIFA15 released.

Hopefully this means we'll see a sequel eventually

Yeah - this is awesome news. I hope it can sustain it. Really want Tango to be successful - they are clearly very, very talented.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some DLC info:
-Kidman can throw knifes
---Warp
---Place trap
---Take trap

Also curious what's the source on this as well, I can't find anything.

JoeFenix

Some DLC info:
-Kidman can throw knifes
---Warp
---Place trap
---Take trap

Throwing knife headshot? Yes please!

What's your source on this?

Szadek

The PC just got a new patch:
Update Notes
Frame lock settings added
In settings, you can now toggle between a 30 FPS and 60 FPS cap.
Letterbox setting
UI toggle to disable the letterbox bars
Fixes gameplay issues when running at >30 FPS
Fixes for visual issues associated with removing letterbox framing
Achievements now work when console is enabled
Fix for game starting in windowed mode on first run
Minor localization fixes

Top Bottom