• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 – Last vs. Current-Gen

They didn't have any time to optimize their code, so they oversimplified geometry and texture work to ensure the game ran properly. That's why the older 360/PS3 games looked better: they had more time and manpower to optimize and were under pressure to make a visually attractive game.

sk3tch

360 doesn't look that bad compared to XB1 - especially when you consider it's 2005 tech versus 2013 tech. Frankly, I'm unimpressed with the gains.

CTDpuoWW4AAWJtd.jpg:large

I can't stop laughing at this one. The giant fuck-off massive tank turned into a shitty little van. It's so pathetic looking.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out capturing from youtube is eh...

I think it's more about the differences in geometry at this point than the differences in texture resolution or lighting effects or whatever.

Green Yoshi

Looks really bad.

I bought a PS4 yesterday (250€, what a steal) and I guess I rather choose a beuatiful game as my first game.

Perhaps it looks great in 1440p+Ultra Settings, but I'm not interested in buying a Gaming-PC right now.

I'm so glad that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be the last AAA-title for 360 and not this piece of ...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't think its fair to say Beenox didn't try.

Your trying to fit this kind of game onto 512MB of memory after all.

"Last gen devs did it!" Is really stupid because back then they didn't have a choice and development pipelines were totally different. You can't simply "go back", to that kind of optimization effort, especially when your just a porting studio and not even a development team making the base game like last gen.

COD3 barely ran at 30fps and looked like absolute garbage on PS2 versus 360, let's not even pretend this is a new thing.

It just annoys me that a lot of you folks don't seem to understand how development in these sorts of situations works. Oh yes, because beenox obviously has the full capability to make a game look like the previous gen native titles, they are just bad, or were told not to do so by Activision! Tinfoil hats glued on a bit too tight.

JP

Not really into Call of Duty but I suppose for the tiny minority of people that love the multiplayer and haven't moved onto the PS4 yet may still have interest in it if it has a solid frame rate.

Not really understanding why anybody who was really into these games would still be stuck on last gen, not just because of how it looks, but there may be some I suppose.

Any guesses on how well this well sell on the 360 and PS3?

That didn't look good at all is there something wrong with your captures? Weirdly jaggie and blurry at the same time.

I haven't done anything to the settings on the card. Cutscenes look much better than in-game, I don't think it looks bad... I've got a video uploading too (of the first level which is incredibly dark admittedly)

Edit: Ive had a change of the settings i'll take some more screenshots in a bit

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
They absolutely put no effort on the 360 version. It really shouldn't look that bad.

I really can't understand this sentiment that pops a lot without knowing the kind development these versions got, Activision probably gave beenox a shit budget and a tight deadline resulting in this.....thing. They probably tried their best under the circumstances, at least i hope so.

The_Dama

CTDpuoWW4AAWJtd.jpg:large

These vans have been used in previous CoD game before. They used use assets from previous CoD games instead of making new ones and then downgrading.

Lebneney

Banned
I don't think its fair to say Beenox didn't try.

It just annoys me that a lot of you folks don't seem to understand how development in these sorts of situations works. Oh yes, because beenox obviously has the full capability to make a game look like the previous gen native titles, they are just bad, or were told not to do so by Activision! Tinfoil hats glued on a bit too tight.

I agree with you. I'm not saying that they didn't do the best that they could with what they have, I'm just wondering (other than Activision wanting money) why they didn't stop developing Call of Duty for the previous generation. I feel that the studio could have been used as a co-developer with Infinity Ward on the next iteration in the series rather than shoved to do this port.

bounchfx

cmp3xuogb.jpg

cmp93op5n.jpg

These two kind of blow my mind. Non-interactive background details have to be replaced with a standard wall texture.

i keep having to remind myself that somehow this game came out 9 years after gears of war, and yet looks far inferior in those screenshots

wat dafuq

Inuhanyou

I agree with you. I'm not saying that they didn't do the best that they could with what they have, I'm just wondering (other than Activision wanting money) why they didn't stop developing Call of Duty for the previous generation. I feel that the studio could have been used as a co-developer with Infinity Ward on the next iteration in the series rather than shoved to do this port.

I agree they should have scrapped last gen versions entirely. But i just take issue with people saying the porting studio didn't do the best they could with what they were given. The term "Lazy devs" is probably the worst thing ever considering how conditions actually are in a lot of development studios with crunch and everything.

i keep having to remind myself that somehow this game came out 9 years after gears of war, and yet looks far inferior in those screenshots

wat dafuq

Go play Gears of War 1 again. Not to say BO3 on last gen looks better or worse, but rose tintend goggles is a hell of a thing compared to looking up close in reality. GOW1 on 360 looks ROUGH, compared to the second and especially the third entree. GOW3 could pass as a launch title for XB1 blown up to 1080 60 IMO

Inuhanyou

The last gen version definitely could have looked a lot better. It actually looks a lot worse than the previous 60fps Call of Duty games:

Again, how does a game developed primarily for last gen possibly equate to a game forced to be ported down to last gen? The cut backs are going to be far more severe, especially since it is not done by a development studio with a lot of budget and optimization effort behind it, or the actual developer of the original game to start.

This is the exactly same as 100% of literally every other cross gen development effort when the newer gen gains more marketshare and relevance and the earlier gen is no longer the developmental focus

LordOfChaos

Yup, that's a generational leap.

It bears noting that games that are actually optimized for the 7th gen wouldn't show such a large gap as this one title. At this point it's pretty clear BO3 is an afterthought on 7G. It's hard to compare, but say, Halo 4 or Uncharted 3 vs this.

Darkangel

Again, how does a game developed primarily for last gen possibly equate to a game forced to be ported down to last gen? The cut backs are going to be far more severe, especially since it is not done by a development studio with a lot of budget and optimization effort behind it, or the actual developer of the original game to start.

This is the exactly same as 100% of literally every other cross gen development effort when the newer gen gains more marketshare and relevance and the earlier gen is no longer the developmental focus

People talk about BLOPS3 being a massive generational leap, but I'm not seeing anything that couldn't be done or replicated on the 360 given enough time and money.

Titanfall on Xbox 360 was an outsourced port that looked pretty good and even averaged around 46fps.

I have a feeling Ghosts 2 will be the first truly "next-gen" Call of Duty. There was a pretty big jump between Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty 4 when they dropped the Xbox and PS2.

Inuhanyou

People talk about BLOPS3 being a massive generational leap, but I'm not seeing anything that couldn't be done or replicated on the 360 given enough time and money.

Titanfall on Xbox 360 was an outsourced port that looked pretty good and even averaged around 46fps.

I have a feeling Ghosts 2 will be the first truly "next-gen" Call of Duty. There was a pretty big jump between Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty 4 when they dropped the Xbox and PS2.

COD 3 was done on PS2 for god sakes, you can make a strawman about any game being possible technically on a lower powered system given enough graphical or feature cuts, that has literally nothing to do with your weird interpretation of 'next gen'.

It doesn't matter if you 'can see it', they are actively utilizing 10x more capability through RAM alone than either 360 or PS3 even has to begin with. Not everything is 'what you can see'

Titanfall is a multiplayer only title that was severely deteriorated and even then was only good 'for a 360 port'.

And good luck with Ghosts 2 being "next gen", you can't even quantify what that means in any given context.

CHC

Holy hell this is definite "why even bother" territory. Like.... these aren't even the same assets? A giant futuristic APC replaced with a (drumroll.....!!) VAN? What the fuck?

I'll be really disappointed if the next COD STILL launches on last-gen.

Larogue

If it means anything, then it means it was built from the ground for next-gen then ported to old ones. Which is a good thing.

S1kkZ

I agree 100% BUT have you seen what Nixxes has accomplished with Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360? Really impressive.

slightly ot: when will your face off for blops 3 be online? playing the ps4 version now and in some areas, the framerate seems rough. maybe i am oversensitive, but i would love to see some data.

Top Bottom