• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Vorg

Banned
So I bought a PS3 about a week ago and borrowed some exclusive games I'd been missing as a 360 only user. Already finished Killzone 3 and Heavy Rain and loved both games, but I'm having a hard time trying to like the first Uncharted game.

The game still looks good today, the dialogues between characters are well written and a real pleasure to watch. Also, Nathan Drake is an awesome character. That said, the game seems to have some problems. The first one is the imprecise controls. Some times Nathan will not stop when he's close to a ledge and he won't even grab it while he's falling. He'll just keep running or rolling 'till he falls. Also some animations seem to get in the way of the platforming. Lots of times I fell to the abyss below because of stuff like this and had to repeat some sections.

So let's talk about the enemies. So far if I had to guess, I'd say it's been about 70% shooting and 30% platforming and exploration, which I didn't expect at the beginning. The enemies come in waves. Kill one wave of enemies and 5 or 6 more follow. Every time! I'm not even exaggerating. It's like Naughty Dog wanted to inflate the game's length through this. There are also some fairly cheap sections where you can find yourself completely surrounded and have no idea where to stay hidden not to get shot down. The aiming reticule doesn't even change color when it's above an enemy, making it harder to know if you're hitting enemies that are far away.

I know many of these problems are down to Naughty Dog's relative inexperience with the ps3 and the type of game at the time and I'm hoping it'll get better since I really like the characters and setting of the game. I guess my question is this: is the second one worth it if I don't like this one?

Maddog

So I bought a PS3 about a week ago and borrowed some exclusive games I'd been missing as a 360 only user. Already finished Killzone 3 and Heavy Rain and loved both games, but I'm having a hard time trying to like the first Uncharted game.

The game still looks good today, the dialogues between characters are well written and a real pleasure to watch. Also, Nathan Drake is an awesome character. That said, the game seems to have some problems. The first one is the imprecise controls. Some times Nathan will not stop when he's close to a ledge and he won't even grab it while he's falling. He'll just keep running or rolling 'till he falls. Also some animations seem to get in the way of the platforming. Lots of times I fell to the abyss below because of stuff like this and had to repeat some sections.

So let's talk about the enemies. So far if I had to guess, I'd say it's been about 70% shooting and 30% platforming and exploration, which I didn't expect at the beginning. The enemies come in waves. Kill one wave of enemies and 5 or 6 more follow. Every time! I'm not even exaggerating. It's like Naughty Dog wanted to inflate the game's length through this. There are also some fairly cheap sections where you can find yourself completely surrounded and have no idea where to stay hidden not to get shot down. The aiming reticule doesn't even change color when it's above an enemy, making it harder to know if you're hitting enemies that are far away.

I know many of these problems are down to Naughty Dog's relative inexperience with the ps3 and the type of game at the time and I'm hoping it'll get better since I really like the characters and setting of the game. I guess my question is this: is the second one worth it if I don't like this one?

Yes.

Tuck

The second one is MUCH better, so yeah make sure you play that.

I didn't mind the shoot outs actually. Thought they were fun and challenging. But I did want more platforming which they did in the second one.

Ranger X

Uncharted is Sony's Gears of War. That's what you will realise if you haven't already. It's better in every single way than Gears for me but that's another matter. Just saying the basic style and controls are the same. And both are third person action-shooting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
As others are saying, 2 is better in pretty much every way. However, it's a shooter. The platforming and "exploration" are automatic and perfunctory, so if that's what you're looking for in a game, it might still disappoint you.

GQman2121

Banned

That description applies to every COD game this generation. Repetitive gameplay, something, something, apparently equals profit.

And you probably wouldn't like U2 if you don't care for the original. It's strange that you liked KZ though, because that game is nonstop waves of dudes that you're asked to kill over and over and.........

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Basically all of Uncharted's issues are either improved or removed entirely in Uncharted 2, especially on the shooting front. Uncharted's awful trial-and-error kill rooms and waves of enemies are pretty much gone completely, as Uncharted 2 focuses on more logical and planned encounter design, tighter aiming controls and satisfying weapons. Mix in simple but effective melee and stealth components and you've got fun to be had.

I'm not a raving mad fan of the series by any stretch of the imagination, but as someone who was kind of meh on Uncharted, there's no doubt in my mind that Uncharted 2 is a much, much better game on all fronts.

So yes, I'd suggest giving Uncharted 2 a go, especially if you enjoy the characters and writing. Just know you'll still be getting that heavily directed, linear cinematic experience, so no real platforming or exploration and such. It's still prone to a few jumping inconsistencies, but it's well and truly improved over the original game.

EDIT: Oh, and Uncharted 2's cover system takes a huge, smelly poop on the original game too, and actually works this time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The encounter design in UC1 is really bad. Lots of arenas where waves of enemies flow in from every side after you clear the first wave or so. It's the weak point of the game and it really makes basic combat unfun. 2 and 3 are miles away.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stopped playing after the zombie enemies came into the picture.

Never bothered with U2 or U3 after that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
These are common problems that many gamers faced while playing Uncharted 1 - bullet sponge enemies and wonky controls. The game came out relatively early in the PS3's lifecycle, so it made a really positive impression due to the overall presentation, in spite of having all these problems. The second game, well, fixes most of these issues, and is a really massive leap. You will still encounter some bullet sponge enemies during the latter half of the game, but it's not that annoying as it was in the first game. Actually, it's good that you haven't played Uncharted 2 yet, because it's really going to make a great impression on you, since you don't know what to expect from it.

Derrick01

Banned
The second one is better but keep in mind the gameplay and shooting is always the weakest parts of the uncharteds. Not to mention, like you said, they both have parts where enemies just seem to infinitely come after you and they're all bullet sponges. I haven't played 3 yet (it's coming sometime, fucking Amazon) but I expect the same issues. These games are basically enjoyable as movies and not so much as actual games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I certainly enjoy them for the story, dialog and general banter in the middle of the action, and the cutscenes.

ili0926

I just finished my Crushing run through Uncharted a couple days ago. Going from UC2 back to UC1 made me really appreciate how much tighter everything is in UC2. UC1 was infuriating at points -- controls felt less responsive, shooting was initially tougher, checkpoints that are too far apart, and shootouts that just felt plain unfair.

UC2 is leaps and bounds better than UC1, not that I didn't enjoy UC1 a lot. The mechanics are really solid.

That being said, Uncharted 3's aiming is...worse than all of my gripes about UC1. It's such a shame too because UC3 is beautiful and everything else has me liking it more than UC2, but the aiming feels like molasses. That patch can't come soon enough.

KageMaru

Yeah, the design of the encounters was one of my biggest complaints with the first UC game. Not only were the waves predictable but half the time after you cleared an area, another wave would come from another direction (sometimes behind) and that too got repetitive.

Yes, yes, yes it's worth it. I wasn't the biggest fan of UC1, I expected much more after all the hyperbolic internet hype, but UC2 made me a fan of the series. Loved the game and so far I like it better than UC3 (though to be fair I still need to finish that one). As someone who shares a similar opinion as you, I can safely suggest UC2 as I'm sure you'll love it.

Pranay

The second one is better but keep in mind the gameplay and shooting is always the weakest parts of the uncharteds. Not to mention, like you said, they both have parts where enemies just seem to infinitely come after you and they're all bullet sponges. I haven't played 3 yet (it's coming sometime, fucking Amazon) but I expect the same issues. These games are basically enjoyable as movies and not so much as actual games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I certainly enjoy them for the story, dialog and general banter in the middle of the action, and the cutscenes.

Not Really, Uncharted 2 really has a good gameplay.

george_us

Uncharted 2 is miles, and I mean miles, above its predecessor. I don't like Uncharted 3 as much though. A lot of the encounters are infuriating and go on for way too long.

Vorg

Banned
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I have to force myself to play through Uncharted just for the story then. It's good to know the second one is that much better.

Donos

Like Speculayer i think UC1 is Ok but rough at some places. Played it for the first time one week ago.

Finished UC2 (on "Hard") today for the first time and .... it's one of the best gaming experiences i had. Just incredible all around. Try it. Maybe it's still not your cup of tea but that's okay. Nobody likes everything. But still try it (maybe not on "Hard" :)

Satchel

Banned

Still the best Uncharted despite its genuine flaws.

Played through it 6 times.

Shtof

After 3 fantastic Jak games, I was a little disappointed with this game. Not a bad game by any means, just a little... boring? I don't know, but thankfully ND stepped their game back up with Uncharted 2, one of my favorite games ever.

I absolutely love Uncharted. It was the game that made it worth owning my PS3 after MGS4 turned out to be utter shit.

It has issues and is a lot less impressive than 2 in a lot of ways, but I still feel that it's one of the best games of this gen.

I really should replay it soon.

I played 3, then 2, then 1. Yes, there is a MASSIVE upgrade between 1 and 2. They feel like different games. 2-3 are very similar.

Still the best Uncharted despite its genuine flaws.

Played through it 6 times.

Wow. A lot of time on your hands? After playing through it FIVE times (a feat I can't even fathom) you were like, let's do this yet again? Are some of you sadistic for repetition? Sorry, just trying to comprehend how it would be fun. Its not exactly a short game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow. A lot of time on your hands? After playing through it FIVE times (a feat I can't even fathom) you were like, let's do this yet again? Are some of you sadistic for repetition? Sorry, just trying to comprehend how it would be fun. Its not exactly a short game.

Well, he obviously enjoys the game tremendously, and a lot of people like to replay games they enjoy. That...is probably why?

I've played it four times, I think.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are fun to go through once a year, I find. It's like how you can always watch an Indiana Jones film once a year.

Man, they REALLY need to patch 3 so I can see what it's like, reading this thread is making me so itchy...

FreeMufasa

I know what you mean about the gun play and waves of enemies. Naughty Dog definately got the balancing right in Uncharted 2 but for some reason, reverted back for Uncharted 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the first one until Chapter 10 or so. I forgot exactly where, but the game really dropped off in fun-factor for me and it became a chore to finish.

Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, though. I'm waiting for the patch to drop before starting Uncharted 3.

Shtof

I'd rather replay a game I like 20 times rather than finishing a game I don't like.

Pranay

Well I thought Uncharted 3 was not as consistently good as uncharted 2 but it was really great.

It focus more on exploration and puzzles this time, and the puzzles were really good. Chase Sequence were great as well.

It had a lot of memorable moments and i liked the game more when i replayed in the second time.

.GqueB.

Banned
My only real gripe with the combat was enemy placement. I remember one particular section where I had to climb some ridiculously high tower to get this key to open a door. I get in there and all of a sudden Im getting attacked by people climbing over walls. Its like: "WAIT WHERE DID YOU COME FROM!@?!?@!?"

Really not sure how they let that slide.

Aru

Yep, get Uncharted 2. I didn't like the first game that much (it wasn't bad, but not great either), but U2 just blew me away. One of the best games in this gen, period.

Himself

Really ?

I dont think uncharted 3 is that bad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think 3 is bad either. Even though I don't like 1 or 3 as much as 2 I still really like both games. 3 just really lacked focus for me, felt a little too formulaic/redundant, and I feel like the combat (because of aiming issues, clumsy stealth, and annoying enemy encounters) basically took a step backwards from 2.

Pranay

Don't get me wrong, I don't think 3 is bad either. Even though I don't like 1 or 3 as much as 2 I still really like both games. 3 just really lacked focus for me, felt a little too formulaic/redundant, and I feel like the combat (because of aiming issues, clumsy stealth, and annoying enemy encounters) basically took a step backwards from 2.

Combat was a degrade from uncharted 2 which i will agree.

I hope with more time , they fix most of the uncharted 3 issues in uncharted 4 [if theyy make one] and we can hope for a u1 -> u2 improvement.

Trick_GSF

Banned
The thing I love about Drake's Fortune is the sense of isolation and mystery. Sure you're with Sully & Elana from time to time, but the lonely atmosphere while walking around in the fortress or monastery is something I've yet to experience in it's sequels. And while Uncharted 2 and 3 are obviously better games, longer, more stunning, fleshed out, etc, I've always missed that "lost island" feeling.

Top Bottom