• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the greatest marvel comics/stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reuenthal

Banned
Inspired by the Avengers film and some other Marvel films I liked to look for another medium who I haven't experienced much, these characters and their stories.

i've been wondering as well lately...

trying to get into comics a couple times, what pisses me off the most is how DISORGANIZED/disjointed/confusing it all seems!

There's different "runs" by different authors and then some tell you to start with issue nr. 569(random nr) the other guy says you gotta start with 459 of THIS run etc.

Just really hard to know where to start...

that said i DID read Astonishing X-men by Whedon (4 volumes i think) and that was pretty good...

i'd love some pointers where to start for other characters as well though! and i don't have the time to read em ALL

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Notables off the top of my head:

Ennis/Dillon Punisher
Ennis Punisher Max
Ellis/Immonen Nextwave
Millar/Hitch Ultimates 1-2
Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-Men
Bendis/Gaydos Alias
Morrison New X-Men

TDLink

I would say most of it has happened in the last decade or so...at least in my opinion. There is some pretty good older stuff here and there though.

Personally my favourites have been:

• Most of the recent cosmic marvel saga. Ie, Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Thanos Imperative.
  • The Immortal Iron Fist
  • The Runaways
  • New Mutants
  • Nextwave

Probably in that order. Most Avengers stuff is pretty crap unfortunately.

JGS

Banned
I think mine will always be the Claremont/Byrne collaborations - particularly X-Men of course but the loved the Marvel Team-Up with Spidey & Thor fighting the Living Monolith.

I liked Byrne's Fantastic Four too with his take on Doctor Doom & Galactus (They should be adapted for the movies). Obviously I haven't read marvel in a while...

Ennis/Dillon Punisher
Ennis Punisher Max

Ellis/Immonen Nextwave
Bendis/Gaydos Alias
Morrison New X-Men

Yes.

I didn't read the ones I didn't bold.

Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle

LProtag

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's not really hailed as one of the best or anything.

Best Marvel runs in the last decade or so have probably been Bendis on Daredevil and Vaughan on Runaways.

The Bendis daredevil run is the best extended run by one writer on a solo superhero book that I can remember, and it'll absolutely make you a Daredevil fan.

Runaways is all new characters and it's amazing.

Also the Whedon run on Astonishing X-Men is probably the best intro to comics you'll find. Don't listen to the people that tell you to read the Morrison run first because they are wrong.

If you want Avengers, probably the best place to start is with New Avengers 1, from 2005.

Edit: and yes Nextwave is fantastic but it's completely over the top and more or less out of continuity with the rest of the marvel universe.

noah111

Still Alive
I liked Ultimate Spider-Man a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's not really hailed as one of the best or anything.
I agree (on both parts), it's a great place to start with SM though. As already mentioned, Ultimates is as best a place to start for Avengers as any.

I know not everyone is too fond of it but another great entry point into Avengers (albeit not the exact same 'classic' team you see on-screen) is Avengers Disassembled and then all the New Avengers issues.

Fun read for anyone who hasn't ever caught up on the entire Avengers-line before, imo. Even better than Ultimates in terms of longevity/reading material.

This is the greatest thing that Marvel has and will ever produce

131260-179178-earth-x_large.jpg

Metalmarc

the civil War graphic novel is a great read, i have't read any of the individual stories that lead up to it , but you can just read and enjoy that itself! Captain America on one Side Vs Iron man on the other side, the artwork is fantastic and its pretty much an all out war between all the marvel characters

This is the one you want - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Civil-War-TPB-Mark-Millar/dp/078512179X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336932519&sr=8-1-spell

detail.jpg

The landscape of the Marvel Universe is changing, and it's time to choose: Whose side are you on? A conflict has been brewing from more than a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother - and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse!

As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships and families begin to fall apart. The crossover that rewrites the rules, Civil War stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon

f0lken

Cosmic Marvel is best Marvel, and Annihilation so epic you would be crazy not to read it, it includes Nova Thanos, and Galactus, and even a threat greater than those two!

Earth X and especially Universe X are really good. And for the regular continuity I enjoyed the Dark Reign period

Age of Apocalypse was one of my favorite Marvel stories. It's your typical grimdark alternate timeline that actually does something interesting with many of the characters.

Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts were good stuff as well.

Classic Claremont Dark Phoenix saga is boss.

Being a Spider-Fan, I have to recommend the first Spider-Man vs Venom collection (basically 4 issues from ASM 300-317). Before Venom became a parody of himself, he was a badass psychopath stalker who gave nightmares to Mary Jane and a broken nose to the Black Cat.

I would say most of it has happened in the last decade or so...at least in my opinion. There is some pretty good older stuff here and there though.

Personally my favourites have been:

• Most of the recent cosmic marvel saga. Ie, Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Thanos Imperative.
  • The Immortal Iron Fist
  • The Runaways
  • New Mutants
  • Nextwave

Probably in that order. Most Avengers stuff is pretty crap unfortunately.
Yes to all this. Especially the cosmic stuff. Annihilation is perfection.

I'm not into comic much anymore and this isn't a Marvel title, but check out Brian K. Vaughn's Y: The Last Man. It was amazing.

Also, there were a trilogy of X-Men novels I read when I was younger written by Christopher Golden. I can't remember the name of them. Mutant Empire, perhaps? They were really fun to read.

Civil War and Earth X sound interesting.

Are they self contained though? Or just part of a larger series that you need to read first in order to understand better? (that is what i hate since i don't have the time for this)

If so: is there just that one book or is it split up into different volumes?

I really enjoyed Secret Avengers up to about #21 or #22 (essentially when Hawkeye took over as leader).

Avengers Academy is also pretty great especially if you like stuff like Runaways (they even make an appearance).

Has anyone mentioned Uncanny X-Force yet? Probably my favorite book at the moment.

Also stay the fuck away from Civil War. Soooooo bad, and its been retconned to hell. I actually felt like Secret Invasion was a more entertaining and universe changing event and it leads into Dark Reign which was alright up until (you guessed it, true believers! Another shitty cross-over event) Siege.

Also the Civil War story is all over the place since it took place in its own mini-series plus throughout most of the marvel single character runs. It gets really confusing and you miss some stuff if you skip some of the bigger Avengers books. It's not a terrible read, but you really need to slog through a lot of it to pick out the stuff that is actually good...and then there's the fact that it is a character assassination of Tony Stark (and in my opinion Captain America as well). They both come off as whiny bitches.

Best way to get through Civil War is to read single character runs that have tie-ins. Ms. Marvel is a great volume as is Thunderbolts for this.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Civil War and Earth X sound interesting.

Are they self contained though? Or just part of a larger series that you need to read first in order to understand better? (that is what i hate since i don't have the time for this)

If so: is there just that one book or is it split up into different volumes?

Earth X is a trilogy. Earth X ->Universe X -> Paradise X. You can get them in 4 trades. Apart from that it's entirely self-contained and depicts a future Marvel U where most of the heroes are quite old and some are dead. It tries to explain why some things are they way they are in the Marvel Universe, has some twists on character's origins and intererconnects a lot of stuff. It's interesting but I feel you need to have a solid grasp of Marvel characters to get the most out of it, becuase it's very referential.

Tizoc

*cracks knuckles*
Create a new notepad file kiddies, I'ma about to give you a megaton of info-
Agents of Atlas:
Various series over the past few years, but whenever they get an ongoing it sadly gets canceled. Some good stories in it, first book is written by Jeff Parker.

Alias by Brian Michael Bendis

Marvel's Cosmic series: Reading order is as follows:
1- Annihilation
2- Annihilation Conquest
3- Guardians of the Galaxy
4- War of Kings
5- Realm of kings
6- Thanos Imperative
7- Annihilators
...off the top of my head at least

Ares:
2 mini series, one by Mike Oeming and the other by Kireon Gillen.

Avengers:
Bendis has been the main author on the Avengers books since the early-mid 2000s, and his run is either love it or hate it. You could check out any Avengers series he wrote during the past 10 or so years, but also check out Avengers stories by the following authors:
Kurt Busiek
Dan Slott

Young Avengers is also pretty good.

Black Panther:
Christopher Priest wrote THE essential and perhaps best Black Panther series ever. Sadly it is not fully collected in TPB so you'll want to hunt for single issues for it. It'll be worth it however...at least IMHO.
Jason Aaron's short run collected in Secret Invasion: Black Panther is also good.

Captain America:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437559

Captain Britain & MI13:
Written by Paul Cornell one of my fav. writers, also about the only good book that has Blade in it.

Captain Marvel by Peter David

ClanDestine by Alan Davis

Criminal by Ed Brubaker (It's published by a Marvel subsidiary right?)

Daredevil:
Read books by the following writers in the following order-
1- Frank Millar
2- Bendis
3- Ed Brubaker
4- Mark Waid

Or better yet just get into Waid's Daredevil now, it's fantastic and entertaining.

Dr. Strange: Read the series written by JMS and Brian Vaughan.

EXiles: Read up until the last book Bedard wrote, then read Point of no return.

Fantastic Four:
Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's original series is a must read if you're interested in knowing about the origin and history of the Marvel U.
For more recent series, the following writers have had some good stuff:
Mark Waid
JMS
Mark Millar
Johnathan Hickman
Grant Morrison's 1234 mini is also pretty good.

Great Lakes Disassembled by Dan Slott

Hercules by Greg Pak

Hulk: Anything by Peter David (10 years!) and Greg Pak

Red Hulk: Start with Scorched Earth TPB by Jeff Parker, Red Hulk becomes more tolerable when he starts writing it.

Howard the Duck: Just about anything Steve Gerber wrote.

Inhumans by Paul Jenkins and (epic art by) Jae Lee

Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction

Kick-ass by Mark Miller

Man-Thing by Steve Gerber (err and any other writer that wrote the character's series?)

Marvel 1985 by Mark Miller

Marvel Zombies 3-5 by Fred van Lente (Machineman being awesome~)

Anyone got any Moon Knight recommendations? All I got is the mid 2000 series by Charlie Huston and Greg Hurwitz.

Ms. Marvel by Brian Reed

Nextwave: Agents of HATE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison

Omega the Unknown

Power Pack miniseries by Gurihiru

Punisher by Garth Ennis, Jason Aaron and Greg Rucka.

Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan

The Sentry by Paul Jenkins

She-Hulk by Dan Slott.

SHIELD by Johnathan Hickman

Spiderman: Original series by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko if you want to see how the character started out. For a more modern/recent run, JMS' Amazing Spiderman run has been great for the most part (just stop before OMD). Avoid anything from the 90s.

The Hood by Brian K. Vaughan

The Irredeemable Antman by Robert Kirkman.

The Twelve by JMS.

Thor:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429046

Thunderbolts: Various writers over the years but much of it has been great so far. Good starting point for the current/modern series would be Warren Ellis' run.

X-Men:
Too many to list, but off the top of my head:
Grant Morrison's X-Men followed by Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

Ultimate series:
DO NOT READ ANYTHING BY JEPH LOEB!
Mark Miller's Ultimates and Ultimate Avengers
Bendis' Ultimate Spiderman (among Bendis' best works IMHO)
Warren Ellis' Ultimate Trilogy
Ultimate Fantastic Four

...yeah that's it off the top of my head, you're welcome GAF <3

Earth X is a trilogy. Earth X ->Universe X -> Paradise X. You can get them in 4 trades. Apart from that it's entirely self-contained and depicts a future Marvel U where most of the heroes are quite old and some are dead. It tries to explain why some things are they way they are in the Marvel Universe, has some twists on character's origins and intererconnects a lot of stuff. It's interesting but I feel you need to have a solid grasp of Marvel characters to get the most out of it, becuase it's very referential.

thanks, well fuck, i only have a basic grasp on the main Marvel characters so i guess that is not good enough to fully enjoy this lol, is there anything similar, self contained BUT approachable for a relativ noob then?

V_Arnold

Matt Fraction basically touched gold with his whole Invincible Iron man and Immortal Iron Fist Run, that is for sure.

Also, from recent times, definitely the whole Uncanny X-Force series.
As for past events, there have been dozens that were mentioned previously, I can only suggest the Secret Invasion/World War Hulk/Civil War, and hell, Dark Reign events.

These big events often are quite a hit and miss, though - sometimes individual tie-ins produce a better story then the numbered event parts themselves. So you need to do a bit of a research before jumping in with a random hardcover or TPB.

Edit: and fuck, of course Marvel cosmic. Dear lord.

bro1

Banned
Early Exiles was really good if your into "What if?" I also enjoyed Kraven/Spiderman Hunted series both the original and the return of Kraven. Almost any of the Thunderbolts are good as well.

Ennis/Dillon Punisher
Ennis Punisher Max
Ellis/Immonen Nextwave
Bendis/Gaydos Alias
Morrison New X-Men

Stuff that has not been said in this thread

51zGHCuNCmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ellis' run on Thunderbolts, one of my favourite runs every.

Ed%20Brubaker%20David%20Aja%20Immortal%20Iron%20Fist.jpg

I'm gonna second, third, and fourth all of these bad boys.

And if you're interested in Spider-Man, Dan Slott's current Amazing Spider-Man run would be a great starting place. His whole run up until Spider-Island comes out in a nice paperback next month, so you can save yourself some money and wait for that one.

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CDC120678lg.jpg

June 20th is the release here, on Amazon

bro1

Banned
Matt Fraction basically touched gold with his whole Invincible Iron man and Immortal Iron Fist Run, that is for sure.

Also, from recent times, definitely the whole Uncanny X-Force series.
As for past events, there have been dozens that were mentioned previously, I can only suggest the Secret Invasion/World War Hulk/Civil War, and hell, Dark Reign events.

These big events often are quite a hit and miss, though - sometimes individual tie-ins produce a better story then the numbered event parts themselves. So you need to do a bit of a research before jumping in with a random hardcover or TPB.

Edit: and fuck, of course Marvel cosmic. Dear lord.

Dark Avengers were great! I was really said when they ended.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
thanks, well fuck, i only have a basic grasp on the main Marvel characters so i guess that is not good enough to fully enjoy this lol, is there anything similar, self contained BUT approachable for a relativ noob then?

You could give it a shot and fill in the blanks with Wikipedia. As many others have stated so far Ultimates 1 and 2 are excellent if you liked the Avengers movie with the caveat that each character is a more dickish version of his normal counterpart.

ok i am checking out stuff all over the place right now:

What is the opinion on "The death of Captn. America" by Brubaker? it is contained in 3 Volumes (how good is it and how much prev. knowledge would i need besides having seen the movie lol :( )

Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato Thunderbolts
Greg Pak & Carlo Pagulayan Planet Hulk
Mark Millar & Terry Dodson The Sensational Spider-Man
Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four Run
Ed Brubaker Captain America Run

Edit: You need to read all of Brubaker Run to get Death of Captain America, it's not that long only 24 issues before it.

Tizoc

ok i am checking out stuff all over the place right now:

What is the opinion on "The death of Captn. America" by Brubaker? it is contained in 3 Volumes (how good is it and how much prev. knowledge would i need besides having seen the movie lol :( )

Brubaker's run on Captain America is among the best, if not THE best Captain America series to date. Def. check it out. You don't need to have prior knowledge of Captain America mythos, etc. to enjoy it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
These are great reads that don't require background knowledge :

- Ultimate Spider-man : this is a very fun read and it's very consistent in quality. Stopped reading when it got relaunched, don't know if it kept up the quality. But you can't go wrong with the first 20 or so trades (about 130 issues). It's pretty impressive how Bendis kept this series fun for that long.
- The Ultimates : you can't go wrong here if you're looking for Avengers action. Read Ultimates 1 & 2, stay away from 3. Ultimate Comics : Thor' is a prequel to the Ultimates.
- Grant Morrison's New X-Men : recommended from start to finish.
- Whedon's Astonishing X-Men : another must read. Although Lazy vs Crazy is absolutely right, you'll get a bit more out of these books if you read Morrison's run first... I did it backwards and wished I'd read Morrison first. Either way : do read Morrison's and Whedon's take on X-Men. Seriously.
- Iron Man Extremis : exciting story, awesome art by Granov.
- Frank Miller's Daredevil run : this is collected in 3 trades and only gets better as it goes along. Also read 'Born Again' and 'The Man Without Fear' (origin story).
As others have mentioned, Bendis' run on Daredevil is supposed to be really good, haven't read it yet.
- Planet Hulk

New Avengers had a sale on Comixology recently. Bought all issues of vol.1 and so far (up to #40), I find it to be really disappointing. Early on, there are some good arcs (Sentry!), and the series shows potential, but then Civil War comes along and everything gets unfocused and became a drag to read. I was excited for this since I really enjoyed Bendis on Ultimate Spidey, but it seemed he wasn't having that much fun on Avengers...

NA is also tied into a bunch of other series and major events, so it can get a bit confusing at times. Read up on House of M, Civil War and other big events if you want to give this a try.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Mighty Thor by Walt Simonson

Nobody else has ever come close to telling Thor stories as good as these. Not even remotely. Truly epic on an astounding scale.

Tizoc

New Avengers had a sale on Comixology recently. Bought all issues of vol.1 and so far (up to #40), I find it to be really disappointing. Early on, there are some good arcs (Sentry!), and the series shows potential, but then Civil War comes along and everything gets unfocused and became a drag to read. I was excited for this since I really enjoyed Ultimate Spidey, but the Avengers may not be the best fit for Bendis...

NA is also tied into a bunch of other series and major events, so it can get a bit confusing at times. Read up on House of M, Civil War and other big events if you want to give this a try.

You could say Bendis had to write the stories according the status quo at the time and the changes done to the Marvel U. For one thing, Secret Invasion was intended to be an Avengers only story arc I think, but was made into a major crossover.

Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato Thunderbolts
Greg Pak & Carlo Pagulayan Planet Hulk
Mark Millar & Terry Dodson The Sensational Spider-Man
Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four Run
Ed Brubaker Captain America Run

Edit: You need to read all of Brubaker Run to get Death of Captain America, it's not that long only 24 issues before it.

ok, it's just all so confusing to me, so i need to start with what? Vol. 1 or let's say issues #1 to 24 then and THEN get to Death of Cap. A.? are they contained in a couple volumes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785128662/ just found this, that would get me up to speed right? seems to contain issues 1-25 if i understand that correctly so AFTER that i'd then get the "Death of...." issues and be good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom