• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masterchef S7 |OT| Come to Gordon's BBBQ. The extra B is for Bring Your Own Judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

MC6_618-BTS_0004_hires1%20%281%29.jpg

Award-winning chefs Gordon Ramsay and Christina Tosi welcome 40 new home cooks into the MASTERCHEF kitchen for Season Seven, premiering Wednesday, June 1 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), on FOX. The contestants will not only have to impress Chefs Ramsay and Tosi, but throughout the season, will compete for the approval of culinary greats and special culinary guest judges, including Wolfgang Puck, Aarón Sánchez, Edward Lee, Kevin Sbraga and Richard Blais.

For those wondering, Graham has left after Masterchef Junior 2015. And so to has the most interesting thing on the show.

Can we survive a single episode without any personality?

Graham's absence is definitely noticeable, but I'll have to see a regular episode before judging just how big of a hole he left. Hopefully Christina can pick a personality and stick with it, she doesn't really work as a hard ass so maybe she can step up to Graham's friendlier judge spot.

chris121580

I found myself missing Graham also. I thought they'd get a third judge. Not as fun with just Gordon and Christina. Do love that David Williams will be on the show. He's been one of my fav poker players for years.

Pull_Shapes

Neo Member
I watched this for the first time last night, but had to turn it off because of the insane amount of quick cuts the camera does. Actually made me feel sick, they don't focus on a single shot for more than half a second

Dereck

Holy crap, is anyone watching this

I'm gonna give it a shot but I think this show's formula has worn on me

Holy crap, is anyone watching this

I'm gonna give it a shot but I think this show's formula has worn on me

I binged through all 4 aired episodes last night, boring as hell. You can turn every episode into 15 minutes if you fast forward through the junk.

Last weeks episode involved a wedding, and the show had the bride toss out a bouquet to signify who won the challenge. I thought that was hilarious, basically the entire audience just started clapping for the winners and all I could think was "man... I bet that bride is super happy MC is stealing all the thunder!"

Christina didn't even bake a cake for the wedding, how far they have fallen :(

2 judge format is brutally bad, they need to bring back Joe. I still prefer this show to Hell's Kitchen which I stopped watching 3-4 seasons ago, but I guess thats like saying I prefer a dog turd to a cat turd. I'll just wait until the last 2-3 episodes air and watch those, no point in watching the middle boring stuff.

Sandfox

I binged through all 4 aired episodes last night, boring as hell. You can turn every episode into 15 minutes if you fast forward through the junk.

Last weeks episode involved a wedding, and the show had the bride toss out a bouquet to signify who won the challenge. I thought that was hilarious, basically the entire audience just started clapping for the winners and all I could think was "man... I bet that bride is super happy MC is stealing all the thunder!"

Christina didn't even bake a cake for the wedding, how far they have fallen :(

2 judge format is brutally bad, they need to bring back Joe. I still prefer this show to Hell's Kitchen which I stopped watching 3-4 seasons ago, but I guess thats like saying I prefer a dog turd to a cat turd. I'll just wait until the last 2-3 episodes air and watch those, no point in watching the middle boring stuff.

Well they did televise and professionally film their wedding in addition to probably paying them lol.

vypek

I tend to enjoy cooking challenge competitions a lot. This season isn't working as well for me. Maybe its the lack of 3 judges like there usually is. Still like HK though. Seems more interesting but not by too much. The shows just aren't as interesting as they used to be.

Haven't been enjoying this season at all, its fine to have on in the background but the contestants are all pretty bland, I like the gentle giant but that's about it.

rainz

Is this thread for American version or a UK one?
Having Ramsay is throwing me as to which..

And, is it anywhere near the level of Masterchef Australia yet?

Is this thread for American version or a UK one?
Having Ramsay is throwing me as to which..

And, is it anywhere near the level of Masterchef Australia yet?

US version, I believe UK is up to like season (series) 11 so far. The US version is not very good, while they have eased back on the product placements its too obvious the show is sorta "fixed" to get the most marketable chef as the winner every season and the challenges are very uneven in quality. There is also way, way too much of this kind of crap on the show - (Key and Peele sketch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

This week also highlighted another huge problem: the other judges are completely superfluous to the show. First challenge: Gordon shows them how to butcher a lobster. Second challenge: replicate Gordon's dish. So... whats the point of the other two judges, again?

OnPoint

Graham being gone sucks. Joe being gone before sucked too. I think I'm gonna follow them out of the Masterchef kitchen.

Huh, saw an ad for Cooks vs Cons on the food network, and it stars Geoffrey Zakarian as the host (Chopped, The Kitchen) and an even SKINNIER Graham Elliot as a judge. Seriously, he looks nothing like he used to. Not sure if the other judges are fixed or rotating, but Graham seems to be on every show.

1tSLMiY.jpg

Anyways, didn't watch (too much already!) but just for anyone wondering where he went

Quonny

Literally only interested in Terry.

Everyone else is either dull or off-putting.

This has turned into a background show instead of one I actively sit and watch.

Ramsiege

So I guess no one is watching this season...

Shame.. You missed out on Nathan saying "when in doubt, go African."

/Dead

I've actually been enjoying this season quite a bit more than previous seasons. I do miss Graham and Joe, but Christina and the guest judges have been decent.

otapnam

They need to stop letting some of the joke contestants in, there's way too many of them making stupid mistakes at this level of the contest.

maxcriden

Nathan really got put through the wringer. People were frequently rude and awful to him. I understand he had his social issues but there was some bullying going on there and it reminded me of the bullying Marcel got in Top Chef.

Alejandro got robbed. I was sad to see Dan go, too. Oh, Terry got robbed too.

Zoe

Nathan really got put through the wringer. People were frequently rude and awful to him. I understand he had his social issues but there was some bullying going on there and it reminded me of the bullying Marcel got in Top Chef.

? Dan's still there.

Yeah Alejandro and Terry were both shoe-in's for the last couple of rounds in my mind. Crazy they got cut so early.

maxcriden

? Dan's still there.

He is? Whoops, sorry, must've misremembered the last ep. I forgot Katie got kicked off instead. Phew.

Yeah Alejandro and Terry were both shoe-in's for the last couple of rounds in my mind. Crazy they got cut so early.

Agreed! They both seemed much more MC-worthy than their competitors... based on what I've seen this season, just as a viewer, it appears the food is the weakest overall since the contestants of Season 2.

Chris R

I enjoy letting these build up on my DVR, only to watch the in-house pressure tests and eliminations.

The off-site shots are never good and always just manufactured drama.

KorrZ

I enjoy letting these build up on my DVR, only to watch the in-house pressure tests and eliminations.

The off-site shots are never good and always just manufactured drama.

I agree the team challenges are usually a snooze fest. Though I enjoyed the one last episode. It's always fun when Gordon is putting the pressure on.

Anyways, I think Brandi is pretty much a shoe-in for the crown. Girl seems to just be nailing everything they throw at her.

Chris R

I agree the team challenges are usually a snooze fest. Though I enjoyed the one last episode. It's always fun when Gordon is putting the pressure on.

Anyways, I think Brandi is pretty much a shoe-in for the crown. Girl seems to just be nailing everything they throw at her.

I did watch the last one, just because the kitchen challenge is basically HC-lite, but the weddings, armed forces, farmers, schools, ect just suck.

grendelrt

How was it rigged?

Claudia only cooked Mexican dishes the entire show, including the finale. Derrick cooked out of the box amazing dishes all the time. The finale dishes looked in his favor by a large amount and the judges comments even alluded to his dishes being better, then they picked Claudia. Type Masterchef Derrick into google, first suggestion is robbed lol.

maxcriden

It's okay, she thought it was Dan too :lol :lol :lol

Ohhh I remember now she started heading upstairs so awkward 😵 but in her defense they did that thing where they don't speak remotely proper English and say stuff like "and the person safe today is... Katie... it's not you!"

NYR

How that stupid Nathan kid last s so long is beyond me. Terry gone before him shows the Show goes for shock moments too much.

Claudia only cooked Mexican dishes the entire show, including the finale. Derrick cooked out of the box amazing dishes all the time. The finale dishes looked in his favor by a large amount and the judges comments even alluded to his dishes being better, then they picked Claudia. Type Masterchef Derrick into google, first suggestion is robbed lol.
This. Well said.

Ashhong

I watched this for the first time last night, but had to turn it off because of the insane amount of quick cuts the camera does. Actually made me feel sick, they don't focus on a single shot for more than half a second

Really? lol. You must not be able to watch a single action movie made in the last decade then

Mission

Huh I went looking for a thread like this after last week's preview, now here it is.

What do we figure is up with David and "this protein"?

Anybody paid attention to whether he's avoided pork during all of the other challenges? Not sure how he'd get to top 5 doing that. It's the only thing I can come up with about the preview.

GhaleonEB

How that stupid Nathan kid last s so long is beyond me. Terry gone before him shows the Show goes for shock moments too much.
Nathan got saved once by someone who wanted to preserve weaker competition, and IIRC coasted by on being on winning teams or middle of the pack on individual cooking. That said, I'm still flabbergasted they cut Terry after one poor dish. I thought he was top 4-5 material for sure.

This is the first season of Masterchef I've seen as it's gone by, rather than bingewatching an older season. This whole having to wait for the next one to air has been maddening. :lol

(It's also the first show my daughter has ever had to watch as it's aired. We got caught up and I actually had to explain why we had to wait a week. Kids these days.)

I hope next season they cut out the "guest judges" thing. It really broke the flow of the show where people start to understand the three judges tastes and dislikes and adjust themselves accordingly.

I also wish they'd bring back the auditions part, shit was hysterical when Joe was still there.

KorrZ

It is unfortunate that there isn't really a mechanism for the judges to take overall performance into account for elimination.

You can do flawless the entire competition and get fucked by one mistake, where someone else who just happened to get lucky coasts by with average output the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom