• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Beta: One Giant Cluster****

Crisis

Banned
Anyone else feel like Konami has really dropped the ball on this one? At least on the registration side? It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of hoops you have to jump through to just be eligible to download the beta. Like most others I pre-ordered MGS4 because I really want to play it on the first day it's out and the MGO beta was just an added incentive. After looking at the instructions inside the Saga 2 DVD I figured that it was going to be pretty simple. Just redeem the code as if you were putting in a credit card or PSN card in the system for usage and download.

That's not what's happened though. It's been as difficult as possible to just figure out if you're even ELIGIBLE to get in because of the Konami ID bullshit. In case anyone's wondering in order to get into the MGO beta you have to not only obtain a beta code (which can NOW be obtained without reserving the game - sigh) but you have to go over to to http://id.konami.net to obtain something called a Konami ID. You have to create a Konami ID and THEN a GAME ID for usage in MGO. There's two problems with this. One is that this means that you're NOT using your PSN ID like every other game on the PS3 uses. The second is that that the page was made by a jenkem-huffing retard. It's basically fucking impossible to even REGISTER because the page is so shitty and error-prone.

Konami I hope to god that it isn't like this when MGS4 actually comes out. You need to get your shit together for the beta.

*edit*

It's not just the Konami ID thing that's all gone to hell either. This is a list created by tanod explaining a lot of the problems that people are having with this:

tanod said:
In order of fuckup to minor annoyance:

1) Some people have beta cards that misprinted the code and only have 9 or 11 characters instead of 12.

2) Konami registration is broken. It won't accept a lot of people's registrations because it says that Konami IDs or email addresses are already registered when they're not.

3) Requires 2 separate IDs on top of a regular PSN name.

jenov4

Agreed, I'm sure this has been adressed in the MGS thread, but yeah, it's a horrid process. I gave up and I'm not going to bother with MGO anymore. It's _that_ annoying.

harSon

Banned
I hate it when people feel entitled to participate in a beta, people should be glad Konami is even letting people play the game early.

only got as far as downloading the beta itself ....so haven't set up my Konami ID

....wonder if it will be completely different from the one I used for MPO???

Ranger X

Sounds like it's because it's a beta. You won't go through all this stuff on the retail version and you will play with your PSN account...

Also, you're crying and the beta was just "a little incentive" for you. You might as well wait and play the retail version. Or cry moar.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
1. Its their BETA they can run it however the ywant, how is it such a cluster fuck, just because you have to register on their site? People are getting shutout because they were doing shenanigans.

2. The BETA is even up and out to play so how are you calling it a cluster fuck, your only able to just download/update it now.

Crisis

Banned
harSon said:
I hate it when people feel entitled to participate in a beta, people should be glad Konami is even letting people play the game early.

You know I anticipated someone saying this. But please keep in mind that most people DID reserve the game by paying at least $5 (in the US) to have a chance to be in the beta. So yeah I feel a little bit more entitled on this one than say something I download in the PSN store without paying anything.

samratty

heartbreak.1.jpg

:D

Seems so. My friend tried to register and was complaing to me about it. These are the worst things... When the infrastructure isn't there to do the task, extremely infuriating.

Madman

Crisis said:
You know I anticipated someone saying this. But please keep in mind that most people DID reserve the game by paying at least $5 (in the US) to have a chance to be in the beta. So yeah I feel a little bit more entitled on this one than say something I download in the PSN store without paying anything.
Give me your stuff. I'll play it for you. :D

Snowden

Banned
Crisis said:
You paid five dollars to reserve the game. The beta is a bonus.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Crisis said:

NO, $5 was for you to pre-order the game and you got this for free.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know who at Konami is handling the online infrastructure, but I sure as hell hope for you guys that it's not any of the people that handled PES on the PS3.

harSon said:
You do know why companies run betas for online games right? Frankly companies should be glad that people are interested in providing them with thousands of hours of fine tuning data by playing their unfinished game.

tanod

when is my burrito
It's not even out and they're fucking it up. Reminds me of what people went through with the Halo 3 beta.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Psychotext said:
You do know why companies run betas for online games right? Frankly companies should be glad that people are interested in providing them with hundreds of thousands of hours of fine tuning data by playing their unfinished game.

Free Testing FTW

edit Also, I still don't see how they are fucking up.

harSon said:
yeah man, how dare people feel entitled to a beta that they preordered the game in order to be a part of...

AstroLad said:
I don't know who at Konami is handling the online infrastructure, but I sure as hell hope for you guys that it's not any of the people that handled PES on the PS3.
it's probably the people in the konami cafeteria, running the server on dixie cups and a string for a connection...

I agree and echo sentiments that the Konami id registration is absolutely horrible. It took me almost half an hour to do what should be a simple five minute exercise. 'gameid unavailable' 'password not working' 'service not available' '505 error' etc etc.

What's even worse is that for the gameid, the criteria are so fucking retarded, I couldn't even use my own first name, or my surname, or my common internet alias, or my msn alias, nothing. Absolutely appalling.

Don't worry Asia, you'll get the internet right one day. I wouldn't say this beta was one giant clusterfuck though. I'd leave that for when the servers fail on 21st April - and trust me - they will. I just know they will fail, and everyone who should access them, can't.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
v0yce said:
Yes. Betas should be flawless experiences.

Ha!

This pretty much sounds like every console Beta experience I've been involved with.

Halo 3/Crackdown clusterfuck...
Call of Duty 4 registration clusterfuck...
Skate/Burnout EA server clusterfuck...

comrade

Everything has been completely streamlined for me so far. Took a couple minutes to sign up for my Konami ID and I've had no hiccups downloading the Beta client.

Darkpen

Banned
:|

You're all whiny little bitches. The only thing you SHOULD be bitching about is the fact that after downloading a huge ass 740somethingmeg file, you have to download ANOTHER humongous file, just to update. Now THAT'S bullshit.

As for the hoops of konami ID crap, who cares. That was easy pie. I do feel bad for the people with beta codes that aren't even registering. But I'm sure that'll be fixed before the beta's finally up (hopefully).

Goreomedy said:
Ha!

This pretty much sounds like every console Beta experience I've been involved with.

Halo 3/Crackdown clusterfuck...
Call of Duty 4 registration clusterfuck...
Skate/Burnout EA server clusterfuck...
it was sarcasm :|

Seriously, ITS A BETA, guys :mad:

Tobor

Do people not realize what Beta means anymore?

I blame Google for desensitizing people by leaving finished product in Beta status for years.

I don't see any reason to think the final game will use PSN IDs rather than Konami IDs, so the main issues right now won't get any better in the final game.

I think Sony should require developers to use PSN IDs for their online games. Perhaps Konami want people to use these so they have more access to information for stats tracking etc., but I don't see why they can't arrange that with Sony. Over-complicating the process with more user names and passwords is just a barrier to entry for players that will harm the game.

Plus the registration site is absolutely awful, when most of gaf can't even figure out to register you have a problem.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
comrade said:
Everything has been completely streamlined for me so far. Took a couple minutes to sign up for my Konami ID and I've had no hiccups downloading the Beta client.

EXACTLY,

Hence I did download it when it was first announced and didn't have any issues. MY experience has been perfectly fine except for the people bitching about it already in less than 2 hours of my ass waking up.

Darkpen

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I don't see any reason to think the final game will use PSN IDs rather than Konami IDs, so the main issues right now won't get any better in the final game.

I think Sony should require developers to use PSN IDs for their online games. Perhaps Konami want people to use these so they have more access to information for stats tracking etc., but I don't see why they can't arrange that with Sony. Over-complication the process with more user names and passwords is just a barrier to entry for players that will harm the game.
I do hope they don't rely on the konami IDs for the final game. That'd just be silly and archaic.

With CoD4 all you had to to is type a code into the marketplace and it downloaded and installed the beta for you. Konami should do the same thing.

I'm in the beta, I'll try this out tonight.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Ninja Kn1ght said:

I think Sony should require developers to use PSN IDs for their online games. Perhaps Konami want people to use these so they have more access to information for stats tracking etc., but I don't see why they can't arrange that with Sony. Over-complication the process with more user names and passwords is just a barrier to entry for players that will harm the game.
You know, not to derail but..

Unless Konami want to make MGO cross-platform or something. In which case this makes sense.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would totally agree...if the Japanese process wasn't so absolutely incredibly painless.

I already had a Konami ID because you need one to check your arcade stats for Otomedius online. Plus, signing up for MGO in Japan involves answering a simple questionnaire.

In general, the Japanese process was perfect. It sounds like everyone else got fucked really hard in the ass, though.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
With CoD4 all you had to to is type a code into the marketplace and it downloaded and installed the beta for you. Konami should do the same thing.

I'm in the beta, I'll try this out tonight.

Um...that's EXACTLY how MGO works.

Again, that's how the JAPANESE version works. I have no idea what kind of clusterfuck the rest of the world walked into.

comrade

Ninja Kn1ght said:

I think Sony should require developers to use PSN IDs for their online games. Perhaps Konami want people to use these so they have more access to information for stats tracking etc., but I don't see why they can't arrange that with Sony. Over-complicating the process with more user names and passwords is just a barrier to entry for players that will harm the game.

Barrier of entry? More like newb filter.

If you don't possess the uber skills to register a Konami ID then maybe I don't want to play with you anyway. ;p

so_awes

Banned
wtf?!

did anybody get this message?

Error
An error has occurred.
Due to a period of inactivity, the page has been deleted.
Please click on the below link to return to the top page.

and i just got to that page, too. it's not like i left the computer for hours. this is so retarded.

>:[

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Alphahawk said:
I don't think Japanese companies "get" online play yet. Just a though...

Apparently, a Konami Ninja slit this guy's throat before he could finish his "thought".

Remember when the Halo 3 beta had problems?

It would be funny to compare posts from the same users then and now with MGO beta. :lol I'm sure you'd see plenty of flip-flopping both ways- from "It's just a beta stop complaining be grateful" to "This shit's fucked up omg so pissed why doesn't it work"

comrade said:
Barrier of entry? More like newb filter.

If you don't possess the uber skills to register a Konami ID then maybe I don't want to play with you anyway. ;p
if hitting reload is a skill, then anyone on GAF can play

SonOfABeep said:
Remember when the Halo 3 beta had problems?

It would be funny to compare posts from the same users then and now with MGO beta. :lol I'm sure you'd see plenty of flip-flopping both ways- from "It's just a beta stop complaining be grateful" to "This shit's fucked up omg so pissed why doesn't it work"
you should do that!

i'd like to see the results.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alphahawk said:
I don't think Japanese companies "get" online play yet. Just a though...

Is it any surprise? No one plays online at home.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
so_awes said:
wtf?!

did anybody get this message?

and i just got to that page, too. it's not like i left the computer for hours. this is so retarded.

>:[
That happened to me a lot. I just wrote any long details in a word doc and pasted them over.

Signing up for that thing was like a speedrun.

tanod

when is my burrito
g35twinturbo said:
Free Testing FTW

edit Also, I still don't see how they are fucking up.

In order of fuckup to minor annoyance:

1) Some people have beta cards that misprinted the code and only have 9 or 11 characters instead of 12.

2) Konami registration is broken. It won't accept a lot of people's registrations because it says that Konami IDs or email addresses are already registered when they're not.

3) Requires 2 separate IDs on top of a regular PSN name.

Justified because it's a beta:
4) Having to sign up on the Konami website in the first place.

Crisis

Banned
Evonus said:
You paid five dollars to reserve the game. The beta is a bonus.

g35twinturbo said:
NO, $5 was for you to pre-order the game and you got this for free.

I pre-ordered the game after Konami and Sony announced the MGS Saga 2 DVD and the MGO beta. The deal was that I reserve the game and they give me a MGS Saga 2 DVD and the MGO beta. The beta is not a bonus. Even then you guys are just arguing semantics. I know this is a beta and this topic was made because it's giving valuable feedback. Konami ID to play a fucking game is bullshit. I want to use the PSN ID across ALL of my games, Metal Gear Online included. I will guarantee you that the vast majority of people will want this in the final game. I honestly probably wouldn't have even made this topic if the Konami ID site wasn't SO BAD.

Evlar

Banned
I wish my life was so streamlined and perfectly balanced that something like entering codes for an online game beta would seem like a major crisis.

Crisis said:

No, you payed $5 to preorder the game.
Period.
Anything else was an extra.

Firewire

Banned
Sage00 said:
You know, not to derail but..

Unless Konami want to make MGO cross-platform or something. In which case this makes sense.

Seriously this is you're contribution to the thread?

GTFO!

Top Bottom