• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arthur Gies Leaves IGN

Gowans

Goodbyes.

Just a few months ago, I would never have guessed I'd be saying something like this, but, well, it's been a crazy few months. Today is my last day at IGN.

Wow. That was harder to type than I thought it'd be.

I'm not being let go, or pushed out, or anything like that. I've received an amazing opportunity that I just can't pass up. Sometimes when you get older you realize that to grow both professionally and personally you've got to make changes, to take chances outside of a comfort zone. This is one of those times for me. I'm not going to get into where I'm going in this blog post. I don't want to be disrespectful of the people that I've grown to care about enormously at IGN, and I don't want there to be any harder feelings.

I gave my notice to my superiors two weeks ago today, and I've tried as hard as I can to do the best work I could in the time I've had remaining here. It was really gratifying to be able to go out on a review note with a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, both because of how inspiring that game is and because of how proud I am of that review. I'm also glad to be able to have helped bring so many of you Halo Fest at home, which was the most difficult weekend of my professional career.

I'm excited for what my future holds, but I'm also melancholy about leaving the big family that IGN has become for me. This is one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. I love the people here, and I care about IGN as the institution that it is. I've learned over the past two years that IGN is not the site that so many people assume it is, assumptions formed a decade or more ago that haven't really applied for a long time now. It's not a monolithic thing. It's a collection of people with thoughts and opinions that bust their asses more than anyone else out there to make things happen, that are brought together by their desire to do awesome shit about things they love. I will miss being a part of that more than I can explain to you here.

All that said, it's just about time for me to sign out. I've got a couple more things to do today at IGN, and then I'd like to hang out with friends that I'd damned well better see again, and soon. I'm not leaving the Bay Area. I'm not leaving the games press, and I'll be able to disclose elsewhere shortly where my new home is. If you'd like to know the answer to that, then go ahead and follow me on twitter at aegies (the only plug I'll allow myself here). And thank you. The IGN readers and listeners that I've met and interacted with have been amazing, and I'm flattered and humbled by the things you've all said. I hope I never let you down.

-Arthur Gies

(soon to be former)Editor, IGN.com

Source: http://www.ign.com/blogs/arthur-ign/2011/08/30/goodbyes/

I only really visited IGN for his stuff, totally agreed with that guy 90% of the time, wonder where he's off?

Morn

Banned
IGN continues to circle the bowl.

Promoting Hilary to Editorial Manager of Games killed the site. And he bailed.

The Goldstein regime caused veterans like Matt Casamassina and Craig Harris to bail.

So the lone Xbot at IGN leaves. Bummer, I can get Sony fanboys galore at every gaming news site, a little variety was nice.

I don't even know anymore who are on IGN anymore. Or at 1up. Or at Gamespot. Well at least I sort of know who are doing Giant Bomb.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Based on the note it looks like he is going to another site. I liked Arthur on podcasts and on RebelFM, so it would be cool to see him at Giant Bomb.

He posts here on Gaf, and was a great help during HaloFest in watching Gaf for stream issues. Thanks for the work Arthur!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wonder where he is off to. I thought he was a debbie downer on pretty much everything, but he was a good writer.

CoachKevin said:
Sad that he wasn't fired, couldn't stand him on podcasts.

Really? I think anyone who wishes people to get fired has never had a job.

RPG

Soon to be employed at 343? or if he goes to GiantBomb I would love to see he and Gerstmann do their own podcast, it could be the Statler and Waldorf of gaming podcasts...

Gowans

dskillzhtown said:
I wonder where he is off to. I thought he was a debbie downer on pretty much everything, but he was a good writer.
He was pretty realistic I thought and he always kept upto date and corrects people who should know better.

Really wonder where he's gone and where he would leave IGN for? He's said the games press and to leave IGN I can only see the move a game fan would want to move to would be Giant Bomb but they can't be expanding again after Patrick can they? GAFs dream answer in these threads are always GB and it gets old so god knows where he's off.

I'll make sure to follow him. He's great on podcasts, he knows his stuff, a fantastic writer and one of us (gaffers).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Deadly Cyclone said:
You ever listen to RebelFM?
Nah. I tried getting into those podcasts that came up after GFWL Radio died, but never got into them. I guess my deep gaming roots kind of disappeared in 2008-9.

I initially wasn't too big a fan of the Giester, but he definitely grew on me. Thanks for all the hard work, Arthur. Onwards and upwards.

And let's try to avoid a thread littered with idiocy such as the fired comment. Outstanding world views, right there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
RPG said:
Soon to be employed at 343? or if he goes to GiantBomb I would love to see he and Gerstmann do their own podcast, it could be the Statler and Waldorf of gaming podcasts...

His post says he is staying in the Bay area. Giant Bomb might suit him. Would be interesting to have him a Patrick alternate on podcasts.

cackhyena

RPG said:
I'd like him at GB, but professionally, I think that would be a step down.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
God I hope he's not going to Giant Bomb.

Please, PLEASE let it not be Giant Bomb.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Htown said:
God I hope he's not going to Giant Bomb.

Please, PLEASE let it not be Giant Bomb.
Someone there has to actually do real work and write more than 1 review per month other than Brad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Syphon Filter said:
ign 360 podcast is going to suck,the other people in that podcast are boring and corny.

I miss 3RL. Even though it was majorly off topic most of the time it was still hilarious.

I also miss David Clayman. I even got to interview with him a few years back and was one step away from being Jim Riley (News editor) for IGN.

Riposte

Gowans007 said:
He was pretty realistic I thought and he always kept upto date and corrects people who should know better.

Really wonder where he's gone and where he would leave IGN for? He's said the games press and to leave IGN I can only see the move a game fan would want to move to would be Giant Bomb but they can't be expanding again after Patrick can they? GAFs dream answer in these threads are always GB and it gets old so god knows where he's off.

I'll make sure to follow him. He's great on podcasts, he knows his stuff, a fantastic writer and one of us (gaffers).

Isn't Arthur Gies an asshole? Like, I could never seen him within a mile of GiantBomb.

specialguy said:
So the lone Xbot at IGN leaves. Bummer, I can get Sony fanboys galore at every gaming news site, a little variety was nice.

Eh? I've always felt that the US media was heavily 360-oriented. Either way, does it really matter? The news is the news, right? If the journalist writing it is being professional, no "fanboyism" should come through. And if it does, I'd recommend you stop visiting that website.

[Edit: Also good luck Arthur.]

okenny

Banned
CoachKevin said:
Sad that he wasn't fired, couldn't stand him on podcasts.

Man, I only read many of these ad-lib structured comments on resignation threads for gems like this :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
mephixto said:
This is the guy who posted in the Deus Ex OT being rude and disrepectul with some users?

If you mean explaining his review and points to people being dicks, then sure.

Arthur is quick to call people out, that is for sure, but I always enjoyed his straight forward approach. Wonder where he is headed.

mephixto said:
This is the guy who posted in the Deus Ex OT being rude and disrepectul with some users?
He's the guy in the Deus Ex OT who hooked up SalsaShark with the game when GMG was giving him trouble.

Gowans

Deadly Cyclone said:
Wonder where he is headed.
That's the thing, where would you leave IGN for?
Especially if you've been working your way up and getting respected an audience.

Still Games Press and in the area?

Lyphen said:
Nah. I tried getting into those podcasts that came up after GFWL Radio died, but never got into them. I guess my deep gaming roots kind of disappeared in 2008-9.
Rebel FM was good initially with Nick Suttner. Then it sucked when he left and it was just Anthony and Arthur. But then it got a lot better when they went to 3 and then 4 regulars with Tyler Barber and Matt Chandronait

Patryn

RPG said:

He won't go to GiantBomb. First of all, I think GB is quite happy with the staff they have (and they've said that fairly clearly), and secondly, has he ever had any connection to the GB crew?

I find it somewhat amusing that any time a gaming journalist leaves a company or a site someone says "What if they go to GiantBomb?"

Top Bottom