• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Microsoft Smashed on Goldman Sachs Downgrade

They got downgraded from "neutral" to "sell".

Microsoft (MSFT) shares plunged 4.9% to $28.80 on heavy volume, as Goldman Sachs downgraded the stock. With PC trends in a sharper decline than anyone thought, what can the company do to keep shareholders happy?

Goldman Sachs analyst Heather Bellini believes the company has four “Plan B” options to really get its stock out of the range it’s been in over the last 10 years, credit crisis not withstanding. She notes that Microsoft shares are up just 3% since Apple (AAPL) launched the iPhone in June 2007, vs. a gain of 260% for Apple, and 170% for Samsung.

“We expect the shares to remain range bound (noting we have downside to our price target) especially given our view on weakness versus expectations for FY13/14 revenues and EPS,” Bellini wrote in her note.

Of the four options, she lays out, Bellini believes cutting prices or giving subsidies is the most likely. Sales of the Microsoft Surface have been notoriously slow, with CEO Steve Ballmer previously noting sales were “modest” in their debut. The company did not mention exact sales figures on its most recent earnings, so it stands to reason sales are weak. Bellini believes Microsoft could cut the price of the tablet, or potentially lower the price of Windows to original equipment manufacturers such as Dell (DELL), HP (HPQ) and others to drive adoption. “That said, we do not think that even significant price reductions would be enough to stimulate demand,” Bellini noted.

The company’s major business lines, including Windows, are facing secular headwinds and that’s not changing anytime soon, with PC shipments declining 14% year-over-year according to IDC and 11.2% according to Gartner. Microsoft is facing the heat of a post-PC environment faster than most expected. The reception to Windows 8 has been nothing short of dismal, even though Microsoft owns 90% market share in the PC operating system space. Most of that market share comes from Windows 7, Windows Vista, and to an extent, Windows XP, which the company recently announced it would stop supporting in 2014.

Microsoft has many business lines, outside of Windows, and potentially breaking up the company could be worth it for shareholders. Bellini pegs the sum of the parts of Microsoft at $37, though she doesn’t see that as likely given the company’s synergies across its different groups.

Two more likely options are for the company to leverage its incredibly strong balance sheet, returning more cash to shareholders, or cutting expenses. Bellini believes Microsoft will generate $32 billion in cash flow from operations, with $17 billion of that pegged toward spending, buybacks and dividends. That leaves an additional $15 to return to shareholders. If the company were to leverage its overseas cash (Microsoft had $68.3 billion in cash and equivalents on its books at the end of the 2012), by issuing debt, it could further drive higher returns for shareholders. This was given a “low to medium” probability.

Microsoft is in an arms race with Samsung, Apple, Google, and others, so cutting spending is not as likely to happen as leveraging its cash hoard, but it’s something for Microsoft to consider.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thestreet/2013/04/12/microsoft-smashed-on-goldman-downgrade/

More downgrades:

Microsoft downgraded to neutral by Nomura

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -Microsoft Corp. (US:msft) was downgraded to neutral from buy by Nomura Equity Research which cited the dramatic drop in personal computer shipments

BGC Partners downgraded Microsoft (MSFT) to hold from buy on Wednesday, citing concerns over a shaky PC industry.

“Given the change in the computing landscape, it may prove difficult for the PC market to experience growth,” BGC analyst Colin Gillis wrote. “We expect PC shipment revisions to continue a negative trajectory.”

The note added that Microsoft has yet to gain traction in the market for tablets and phones despite the “quality and innovation of Microsoft’s software.”

MoeB

196137-header.jpg

AppleBlade

Microsoft seems to find a way to screw everything up, It's kind of shocking that they were able to have so much success with the 360 (and even that had some serious hiccups). They have so much talent and marketshare but almost every hyped product ends up disappointing. They need to fire the bean counters, streamline their business, leverage their marketshare to create a bad@ss ecosystem and they need some young visionaries at the helm to put them out in front in the mobile space, the social space, the cloud, and the connected living room. They seem to be sorta leading the way with connected cars (Ford Sync), they need more of that and it needs to be better and one step ahead of Apple, Google, Samsung, Sony, and Facebook in their respective spaces.

I'm 100% convinced that ballmer has nekked pics of those who can fire him. Why does he still have a job. I can't wait to see what product he laughs at next so I know what will be the next big thing.

Wow several downgrades actually:

Microsoft downgraded to neutral by Nomura

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -Microsoft Corp. (US:msft) was downgraded to neutral from buy by Nomura Equity Research which cited the dramatic drop in personal computer shipments.

BGC Partners downgraded Microsoft (MSFT) to hold from buy on Wednesday, citing concerns over a shaky PC industry.

“Given the change in the computing landscape, it may prove difficult for the PC market to experience growth,” BGC analyst Colin Gillis wrote. “We expect PC shipment revisions to continue a negative trajectory.”

The note added that Microsoft has yet to gain traction in the market for tablets and phones despite the “quality and innovation of Microsoft’s software.”

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm 100% convinced that ballmer has nekked pics of those who can fire him. Why does he still have a job. I can't wait to see what product he laughs at next so I know what will be the next big thing.
I think he has a large amount of stocks, enough to give him some clout.

Snowdrift

The stock was down because of the PC sales numbers, not Goldman's downgrade specifically. GS has some laughably mythical status that the media seems to reinforce.

Schnozberry

Next Xbox reveal should help some, but I think it's pretty common knowledge they've never made money on hardware. It depends on how many services they can tie into the next Xbox, and how successfully they can sell them, as that is where investors will probably be looking for their entertainment division growth.

freddy

Banned
Unless Microsoft has tied up some exclusive deals with content creators then I can't see the Xbox being a long term solution for Microsoft. It might be successful in the short term but I think as wireless tech advances, the need for a box on top of the TV will diminish even further.

Eusis

good job internet, i guess
As amusing as this is it IS pretty clear it's mainly from slumping PC sales than the Twitter explosion last week.

Then again I don't doubt Windows 8 negativity online helped slow sales down some so maybe some congratulations are still in order.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Here's a probably terrible idea. Buy stock low before ballmer exits and sell it after the eventual mini rally after a new ceo is announced.

ascii42

As amusing as this is it IS pretty clear it's mainly from slumping PC sales than the Twitter explosion last week.

Then again I don't doubt Windows 8 negativity online helped slow sales down some so maybe some congratulations are still in order.

Yeah. Article mentions "post PC environment"

Windows 8 is supposed to be part of that environment.

lol

Let's see how they do post E3. New Xbox news might have a positive effect.

video games is a fairly irrelevant market to microsoft's bottom line. sad but true.

if they could catch on with the casuals or whatever they're always blatheribng about it could be different, but by nature the core console market just isnt particularly profitable.

even go back to the ps2 years, for the 5 prime ps2 years total sony games division was only plus 1 or 2 billion profit i want to say. and ps2 is pretty much a best case scenario. sony easily turned around and lost that and then some with the early years of ps3.

I can't wait to see how Ballmer overcompensates for the lack of enthusiasm people have about Microsoft the next time he shows up at an event. I hope he crowd surfs.

Here's a probably terrible idea. Buy stock low before ballmer exits and sell it after the eventual mini rally after a new ceo is announced.

i've wanted balmer out for i dont know how long...

hell you cant even give him credit for the xbox, afaik that was gates idea.

Yeah. Article mentions "post PC environment"

Windows 8 is supposed to be part of that environment.

yep. saw a guy on twitter saying declining pc sales is exactly what ms should want out of windows 8, because it was precisely designed for those other, surging, markets. now the problem is they just need to start selling more win 8 tablets.

Top Bottom