• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2011 (Voting Ends January 13th)

I hardly played any games that came out in 2011 so as a result did not listen to many eligible soundtracks (if a game is in my backlog like Blocks that matter, Ghost Trick etc I'll avoid the soundtrack for spoilers purposes...) and not really got time to listen to ones that flew below my radar like LA Noire, Radiant Historia and El Shadai so my list would have to be:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles Multiple composers kind of makes this a bit of uneven match. A lot of work went into the music and it shows. A lot of memorable tracks and variety.
2. Nora And The Time Studio. Great sound for a DS game...well its cheating though (hint 1: back of box , hint 2:
logos
, answer:
Its all streamed using CriWares ADX format so far better quality than the normal DS streaming format
). That aside (I'm bad at describing music) its very Celtic/Classical. A surprise pick for me as I checked it out on a whim.

3. EscapeVektor (VGMdb link, there are samples over at Amazon MP3 and CDbaby). Its Chiptune stuff from a WiiWare game so I don't blame anybody for not noticing it. I can't say if it works out brilliantly outside of the game thus making it a "not very interesting"/sympathy vote.

Honorable mentions:
SpaceChem(not that much of it but its great study/coding music which given SpaceChem pretty much is coding...)
Dragon Quest VI (see what I mean about hardly any games? It did come out 2011 so kind of counts but is also a disqualified...I prefer the SFC arrangement of half the tracks too as it felt more experimental* while the DS one feels like its been molded into DQ IV&V DS...well given the graphics went that way...)
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (not very far in the game but so far my opinion is when its tracks are good, they're great, otherwise they're just kind of there, easily forgettable, I'm sure certain themes will grow on me as I get to listen to them more than once)

I'll try to pick out favorite tracks sometime for all of these (well, excuse me princess not Zelda as youtube is great at showing spoilers in related videos) but for now (as it was on my mind):
*-Not to bring up what is essentially a 1996 soundtrack too much Wandering Through the Silence is a prefect example: SFC version, DS version. The SFC version has the slightly creepy pan pipes and the ambient drips (the drip chorus the SFC one does about 1 minute 20 in is neat), all eradicated for symphonia generica (well I suppose it is to also sound closer to the symphonic suite version). On the other hand, Flying Bed I do prefer the DS version (SFC, DS) but still the DS version loses some of the quirky wooshy bits.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my, and there I was struggling to describe the music for Skyward Sword. I don't have much else to say except that's one hell of a write up, all of a sudden I feel that the doubt I had in putting it above my other honourable mentions was washed away.
Thanks. It was hard coming up with words to describe everything so I tried to be more technical, and kept writing until I felt satisfied.

I think I've finally decided what my third soundtrack is going to be. It's really too bad I can't add Sonic Generations to my list, but I want to be as fair as possible (and since the near-entirety of Generations' soundtrack consists of arrangements and remixes of older themes, it just doesn't seem right to keep it in the Top 3 even though it's one of my favourite soundtracks of the year).

scitek

Alright, here we go:

3) Bulletstorm

bulletstorm_widecrkb6.jpg

Underappreciated game, underappreciated OST. Some of the best musical accompaniment from start to finish I've heard in a game. It always highlights the action on-screen incredibly well. It's one of those games I go into the options before playing and make sure the Music slider is slightly higher than Voice and Sound FX in because the music, quite literally, sets the tone for me.

2) Crysis 2

crysis-2-gamez7kss.jpg

I listened to this entire soundtrack numerous times throughout the year. While playing other games, while just browsing the net, while running. I even ripped New York Aftermath from the closed beta and listened to it for months before the game's release.

It's also one of two games that I've ever actually made a music video of using music from its own OST (this track was done by Hans Zimmer FFS). The only other one being Mirror's Edge.

1) Xenoblade Chronicles

xenoblade_logo-e13228viks4.jpg

No other game has ever made me watch nothing more than a sword in front of a fucking day-to-night transition for over three minutes on YouTube. Any music that can do that has to be something special.

Nert

Just wanted everyone to know that we're still reading posts and gradually filling out the archive. Thank you for all of your contributions!

iNvid02

1) Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception
2) Assassin's Creed Revelations
3) Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim

x) inFAMOUS 2
x) Bastion
x) LA Noire

Red

1. Bastion

2. Minecraft

3. The Binding of Isaac

Honorable mentions:

1. Arkham City

2. Crysis 2

3. Skyward Sword

Riposte

2) Crysis 2

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis-2-gamez7kss.jpg[IMG]

I listened to this entire soundtrack numerous times throughout the year. While playing other games, while just browsing the net, while running. I even ripped [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNQ8z3k-gdU"]New York Aftermath[/URL] from the closed beta and listened to it for months before the game's release.

It's also one of two games that I've [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcgLkGogDP4"]ever actually made a music video of using music from its own OST (this track was done by Hans Zimmer FFS).[/URL] The only other one being [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7Qe30d_8M"]Mirror's Edge.[/URL][/QUOTE]

No Hans on MW3 really killed any chance of great music. MW2 had a great soundtrack.

Edited my initial post rather heavily. The only OST that keeps its previous spot is XIII-2. Also added a description for Sonic Generations. XP

Dunan

I was still working on my 2010 backlog last year, so there are many good games from '11 that I've yet to play. For now:

1. Valkyria Chronicles 3
2. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

blamite

1) Zelda: Skyward Sword
2) Skyrim
3) Portal 2

I didn't play a ton of games this year, but out of everything I did play these three are clear standouts.

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. LA Noire

Honourable mentions: Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Portal 2, Uncharted 3.

tenz0r

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Uncharted: Drake's Deception
3. Skyrim

Honorable Mentions
>Portal 2
>Crysis 2
>Assassin Creed Revelations

Moobabe

A tough one this year; especially after hearing the OPs 'track of the year' from Skyrim - it really is something. I'm not great at discussing music; but I'll try to expand a little bit.

3. Bastion

bastion_OST_front.jpg

The thing I like about OSTs, and the thing that makes the very best ones, is how coherent they are with the rest of the game. Bastion is a fantastic example of just that; the narrator's southern drawl coupled with the soundtrack make the audio experience of Bastion maybe it's most memorable feature. The vocal tracks in particular stand out.

Bastion - Build That Wall

2. To The Moon

sgttm.png

This is maybe a disingenuous choice - while the soundtrack is fantastic it's a shame, much like with Bastion, to listen to the soundtrack solus. Much of the joy and, indeed, heartbreak that comes from 'To The Moon' is generated through the way in which the music and story compliment one another - even so - play this game AND listen to soundtrack.

1. Frozen Synapse

frozensynapse1.jpg

I'm not sure how to phrase my love for this soundtrack; mode7games managed to not only create one of the finest indie games I've ever played but also produced a soundtrack that matched, if not bettered full retail releases. It's extremely evocative and, perhaps even more than the other two OSTs I listed, compliments the game in such an amazing way.

And the best track off the album - Nervous Test Pilot - Deeper

Nert

2. To The Moon

sgttm.png

This is maybe a disingenuous choice - while the soundtrack is fantastic it's a shame, much like with Bastion, to listen to the soundtrack solus. Much of the joy and, indeed, heartbreak that comes from 'To The Moon' is generated through the way in which the music and story compliment one another - even so - play this game AND listen to soundtrack.

I just gave a few of this game's songs a listen. Even out of context, a lot of what I heard was very emotional. Laura Shigihara's vocals are also pretty great (although different tonally, it reminds me of what she did with Melolune). Cool pick!

Moobabe

I just gave a few of this game's songs a listen. Even out of context, a lot of what I heard was very emotional. Laura Shigihara's vocals are also pretty great (although different tonally, it reminds me of what she did with Melolune). Cool pick!

They are nice out of context - but I can't recommend the game highly enough either - easily in my top 3 games of the year.

Nert

A couple of people have mentioned Batman: Arkham City now, but I just realized that its archive selection is empty. Does anyone have a couple of songs that stood out to them from that game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I've figured out what my third soundtrack's gonna be. I'll do really short writeups for my honourable mentions too.

A couple of people have mentioned Batman: Arkham City now, but I just realized that its archive selection is empty. Does anyone have a couple of songs that stood out to them from that game?
I haven't played the game, but the soundtrack is pretty good.

Arkham City Main Theme
How Does it Feel, Pig?
Wham. Gotcha!
I Think You Should Do As He Says

Einhander

1. Radiant Historia

Easily my favorite soundtrack of 2011. Composed by Yoko Shimomura, the game's soundtrack has a whimsical, yet at times gloomy sound.

2. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

The PSP enhanced port's soundtrack sounds improved over the original game's soundtrack. The orchestral music on every track is wonderful. It is composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata.

3. Dark Souls

It's an epic-sounding soundtrack. I like the chorus on some tracks. It is composed by Motoi Sakuraba.

Diamond

I know it's been a little bit difficult for Ghaleon and Nert this year, but I'd like to thank them for their work, it's nice to have threads like these. Timetokill also had a rough year when he took over the GOTY thread, it'll go smoothly in 2012/2013, I'm sure ! :)

1. Rayman Origins

Michel Ancel's anticipated return was also Christophe Heral's comeback, so I was excited about this one. I love Heral's work, particularly the first Rayman soundtrack, which was a beautiful assortiment of short, creative tracks, and Beyond Good and Evil OST, which gave a little more soul to a charming game.
What I like with Heral's work is that he has a recognizable style, yet he produces extremely eclectic and experimental tracks that blend themselves into the gameplay experience. He has exactly the same approach to music that Ancel has to game design. It's just really cool these guys have found each other.
I had a great time playing Rayman Origins. After some time, I noticed me and my friends (we played coop) sang along with the game, and even danced a little sometimes. So yeah, it was most probably ridiculous to watch, but what's important here is that the music had put a spell on us : we were just really happy to play this together.

Faery Glouglou
Kazoo
Tibet

2. Bastion

I like the strong musical identity of Bastion, which completes the strong world design. It has an Old West vibe with the guitar, yet the percussions bring a more modern and dynamic side, and on top of that, some more exotic instruments add a little more fantasy to the mix.
To me, the highlight of the soundtrack were the songs. First, they are REALLY good, it's important to repeat because it's not a AAA project here. It shows how much Supergiant cared about the mood of their game. Second, they come at important moments of the game, important scenes in the story, their lyrics reflect that fact and they're well integrated into the gameplay. Zia's song particularly shines with the singer's voice slowly kicking in as you come closer to her. Third, they managed to somehow mix the two main songs into one beautiful ending credits track. I'm not a musician, but I imagine it's something rather hard to make, so big respect to Darren Korb for his work.

Build that wall
Mother, I'm Here
Ending Theme

3. To the Moon

To the Moon OST is maybe not as creative as Rayman or Bastion soundtracks, but it was one of the most emotional scores I heard these past months in gaming. I respect the fact that Kan Gao is both game designer and composer, it surely brings to his game a particular alchemy between the scenes we play and the music. Laura Shigihara was a great asset to bring a little more character with her voice. Lately, we see more and more studios using voiced tracks and I quite like the trend. Nier, Portal, Red Dead Redemption, Bastion and To the Moon are great examples of the big difference songs can make in our involvement in a world/story/character.

Once upon a memory
For River
Everything's Alright

Had a hard time chosing three OSTs. I'll do the same thing as last year and pick a hundred honorable mentions I guess.

Honorable Mentions

Catherine : Meguro can't produce a bad soundtrack. It was great to discover his remixes of classical symphonies, and he still managed to include some killer tracks of his own.

It's a Golden Show
Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀
Rapunzel - Name Entry

Child of Eden : Don't need drugs as long as Mizuguchi is around. :)

Journey

Deus Ex Human Revolution : more of an ambient soundtrack, but damn if it ain't cool when you explore the world. Icarus is a masterpiece.

Icarus
Sarif
Adam's Apartment

Ghost Trick : perfect soundtrack for this kind of game, energetic and light hearted.

Theme
Epilogue
Informing about the parting

Ilomilo : also mentioned last year, so it's cheating, but it's such a charming soundtrack... :)

March of the ilomilos
Sunny Days
Safkas Song

Portal 2 : would havebeen in a top 5 I think. Valve is also great to chose great tracks. "Want you gone" is a perfect successor to "Still ALive", and I love Exile Vilify. There are also a lot of ambient tracks less interesting to listen to without context, but which gave Aperture a wonderful atmosphere.

Want you gone
Exile Vilify
Cara Mia

Radiant Historia : melancholic soundtrack, a little like Stocke, the hero. Liked the mood of this game.

Where the Wind and Feathers Return
The Garden Where the Celestite Lies
Historia

Shadows of the Damned : another Yamaoka masterpiece. The complete soundtrack is a 130 or something tracks-beast with rock songs, ambient wonders and silly things like "Sushi" down there.

Sushi
Last Darkness Kiss
Main Theme

Xenoblade : Love this soundtrack. I've not played the game yet, and usually I wait until I've beaten a game to listen to its OST, but this one is so majestic.

Reminiscence
Mystery
Theme

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dunno if it qualifies, but the only game I played this year worth voting for in this regard is Streets of Rage Remake (v5). It's a perfect example of how you update a classic, music included.

Character Select (old version)
Moon Beach (old version)
Up & Up (old version)
Last Soul (old version) (old arranged version)
SMS Power (old version)
Fuze (old version)
SOR3 Boss (old version)
The Poets (old version)
Cycle III
Rudra
Shop (Shenmue!)

At least listen to Last Soul. Phenomenal job of taking a great 90-second chiptune and fleshing it out into a full 5-minute remix while keeping everything intact and taking as few creative liberties as possible. Both the new and old versions compliment the atmosphere perfectly. It's the final stage BGM, which takes place as the sun rises over the city skyline at the culmination of a very long night.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Honorable Mentions:

Kirby Mass Attack
Pokémon Black & White
Minna no Rhythm Tengoku
Radiant Historia
Solatorobo
Professor Layton and The Last Specter
Ghost Trick

Listening to the Bloodrayne Betrayal score right now, and I can't believe it's being forgotten so handily. It's just brilliant, and then the NES style versions are too cool. I'm actually getting nostalgic with them, and they didn't even exist back then!

I only care to vote for the two that have impressed me the most, then.

1. Deus Ex HR
2. Bloodrayne Betrayal

1) Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS)
The best soundtrack on 3DS right now. In my opinion one of the most epic feeling soundtracks I ever heard on a handheld. The orchestrated music and the chorus are just incredible. Go Shinna did a magnificent job. The ending credits are just beautiful sang by Noel, and the lyrics are epic. My first Ace Combat and its been a blast.
Mission 5 - Opera House
Mission 22 - Fighter's Honor
Credits - Gravity

2) Assassin's Creed Revelations

Best thing of the game, not that the game was bad as I really liked, but I prefer AC2 and ACB. Although the music is better than in the other games. Some tracks are just amazing.
Assassin's Creed Theme
Road to Masyaf
The Crossroads to the World

3) The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

The orchestral tracks in this game are magnificent, although I would like more of them for the next game. Listening the groose tracks is as fun as the character itself (special mention to the mogumas theme also). The tracks that were sang in Hylian are amazing, the best one when it builds The Legend of Zelda's main theme.
The Sky
Ballad of the Godess
Groose's Theme

Honorable Mentions
-Xenobale
-Portal 2

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Even though it's not a patch on Rez, Child of Eden is my pick. Also dug the music from Catherine (more so the Stray Sheep and cinema music than the classical music remixes for the puzzle stages), Radiant Historia (which I normally am not a fan of Shimomura at all, this was a great soundtrack with much too few tracks on the album), and Ghost Trick.

Plus, 2011 was the year I finally played Nier and Shatter... so of course nothing could quite compare to those!

Deus Ex was my disappointment of the year... a game that starts you off in a dystopian futuristic Detroit, and the music sounds (to my ears) like your typical hollywood game music? Total missed opportunity... I mean it's not like there's a whole genre of dystopian futuristic music birthed in Detroit they could have put on the soundtrack or anything... oh wait.

2. To The Moon

sgttm.png

I agree with you on this soundtrack. I finished the game and loved it, and I enjoyed the music while playing it, but I'm just not feeling any of the songs on their own.

Top Bottom