• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Namco and Capcom stink at sales projections?

Namco is expecting sales of 200k for Xenosaga DS in Japan.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm
- Namco announced they expect to sell 200,000 copies of the NDS RPG Xenosaga I & II, the game will be released in Japan on March 30, 2006.
Please note that this is the same company that expected to sell 500,000 copies of Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox 360 in Japan and 500,000 copies of Tales of Eternia on PSP in Japan.

They expected Baten Kaitos to sell 500,000 in Japan alone as well as Tales of Symphonia.
And then 150,000 for PSP's Namco Museum

They are plain stupid in their sales projections, almost as much as Capcom. Who hasn't made a high quality game witout giving it a dumb sales projection (Devil May Cry, Rez Zero, Dino Crisis, Steel Batallions, Cancelling 80 projects, Onimusha)

And once again this is too high of a number. If the PS2 version could barely make 300k what makes them think DS's smaller userbase, with a franchise that is deteriorating at an absurdly fast rate, will sell over 200k? When in fact, only about 3 third party DS games have done so in Japan

Tarazet

The only reason why they produce such high sales projections is to sell a lot of units to retailers. If they came out and said they only expected Killer7 to sell 10,000 copies, then you would only have seen it in the most committed specialty chains.

monkeyrun

so by the end of the day they could come out and say I am really disappointted in [Xbox, Gamecube, PSP]. They can't really blame the market leaders, since if they blame it'll look a little bit too obvious who screwed up.

But then they look like fools when the game comes out and absolutely BOMBS. It's like getting retailers and Namco fans' hopes up with purposely false and ludicrous expectations

Example: Baten Kaitos (GCN) and Ridge Racer 6 (X360 "500,000" That's horrific)

Then they blame it on the companies like they didn't already know it would sell like crap at a trash facility

Tarazet

LanceStern said:
But then they look like fools when the game comes out and absolutely BOMBS. It's like getting retailers and Namco fans' hopes up with purposely false and ludicrous expectations

Example: Baten Kaitos (GCN) and Ridge Racer 6 (X360 "500,000" That's horrific)

Then they blame it on the companies like they didn't already know it would sell like crap at a trash facility

Well, what can they do? Stop making games? Baten Kaitos and Ridge Racer 6 are quality titles. They just didn't appeal to the market for whatever nebulous reason.

What's funny with sales projections is how the PS2 is immune to them

Game fails on GC or Xbox: "Whoops! Our game bombed! No more support for you!"

Game fails in PS2: "Gosh darn it! Well, it's not like we could do any better on GC or Xbox. We'll try harder next time!"

LanceStern said:
Namco is expecting sales of 200k for Xenosaga DS in Japan.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

They expected Baten Kaitos to sell 500,000 in Japan alone as well as Tales of Symphonia.
And then 150,000 for PSP's Namco Museum

They are plain stupid in their sales projections, almost as much as Capcom. Who hasn't made a high quality game witout giving it a dumb sales projection (Devil May Cry, Rez Zero, Dino Crisis, Steel Batallions, Cancelling 80 projects, Onimusha)

And once again this is too high of a number. If the PS2 version could barely make 300k what makes them think DS's smaller userbase, with a franchise that is deteriorating at an absurdly fast rate, will sell over 200k? When in fact, only about 3 third party DS games have done so in Japan

I must chime in here as the knowing of all DMC, but Devil May Cry actually surprassed Capcom's expectations.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/099/099225p1.html

and

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/354/354624p1.html

So that was 2 million + 4 months after release, without including GH sales.

The only games that Capcom publically mentioned shorter than expected sales were:

Breath of Fire DQ
Resident Evil REMAKE
Resident Evil 0
Devil May Cry 2
Chaos Legion
Onimusha 3 (in the US)
PNO3

But surprise surprise, other than Breath of Fire DQ most those games were pretty meh IMO.

I thought their sales prediciton for Tales of Eternia to sell 500,000 on PSP was their most dumbest expectation. The game is a direct port of a PSOne game with no added gameplay and came out on the PSP's launch in Japan. If they had released the game say, about five months after PSP came out, they could have probably met that sales prediciton.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
IrakNamco.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thats not so off if they are talking sales to retailers.

And it doesn't specifically say Japan, right?
So, that 200k could easily mean worldwide sales to retailers, and that should be pretty easy to do.

duckroll

John Harker said:
Thats not so off if they are talking sales to retailers.

And it doesn't specifically say Japan, right?
So, that 200k could easily mean worldwide sales to retailers, and that should be pretty easy to do.

Hey, check out post #7. :p

I'm pretty sure their ToE PSP prediction was 300k...and its above 230k now so not so bad. Abyss otoh, was ¿expected? to do 1 MILLION (no tales has done that yet)...

They pump their prediction so IF a game matches them, it'll be MILKED. See: Taiko no Tatsujin

Doogdogg

ivysaur12 said:
How many games have ever lived up to Namco's sales expectations? I doubt they even will ship 200,000 copies of XenoDS.

Nothing ever live up to their rediculous expectations. :lol They had too many damn times to do something about that and they still learnt shit.

ps...
I think they're expecting 400K for the new Ace Combat title domestically. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Somethingblah Cock said:
What's funny with sales projections is how the PS2 is immune to them

Game fails on GC or Xbox: "Whoops! Our game bombed! No more support for you!"

Game fails in PS2: "Gosh darn it! Well, it's not like we could do any better on GC or Xbox. We'll try harder next time!"

Indeed. Kinda funny when ToS is the best selling game on the GC. :(

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The only games that Capcom publically mentioned shorter than expected sales were:

Breath of Fire DQ
Resident Evil REMAKE
Resident Evil 0
Devil May Cry 2
Chaos Legion
Onimusha 3 (in the US)
PNO3

But surprise surprise, other than Breath of Fire DQ most those games were pretty meh IMO.
Er, you're missing a few...

-Maximo
-Gio Gio
-Glass Rose
-Dino Crisis 3
-Genma Onimusha (killed future Xbox ports of the series)
-Killer 7 (both versions)
-Viewtiful Joe GC (prompted the PS2 porting)
-Biohazard/RE4 PS2 (not really admitted, but it's never going to hit that 2+ million target)
-auto modellista PS2 (by a fucking lot, they expected a million in Japan alone)
-Onimusha 2 (outside Japan)
-Onimusha 3 (everywhere)
-Biohazard/RE Outbreak 2

...honestly the only Capcom games I can think of that have actually successfully surpassed expectations this generation are DMC1, Onimusha 1, the Monster Hunter series and the Rockman.EXE series. GBA's the only format last gen where Capcom continually met expectations too, they almost never made their targets on the consoles overall.

mutsu

I think 200,000 isn't anywhere near as bad as 500,000 for Baten Kaitos.

Not saying Baten Kaitos don't deserve 500,000, I think it truly does deserve it, but it was on the Gamecube and it just wasn't the platform for RPGs. DS is red hot right now so 200,000 is probably a bit off, but I think it will fair not so bad.

I predict somewhere between 80,000 to 100,000.

cvxfreak

mutsu said:
I think 200,000 isn't anywhere near as bad as 500,000 for Baten Kaitos.

Not saying Baten Kaitos don't deserve 500,000, I think it truly does deserve it, but it was on the Gamecube and it just wasn't the platform for RPGs. DS is red hot right now so 200,000 is probably a bit off, but I think it will fair not so bad.

I predict somewhere between 80,000 to 100,000.

You're forgetting RR6's 500K on Xbox360.

sonarrat said:
The only reason why they produce such high sales projections is to sell a lot of units to retailers. If they came out and said they only expected Killer7 to sell 10,000 copies, then you would only have seen it in the most committed specialty chains.

Good explanation--I hadn't thought of that.

I had always thought that this might have something to do with development teams making overenthusiatic estimations to the suits of their games' sales potential in order to get a bigger budget, etc. (especially in the case of ambitious, large-scale projects like Xenosaga). Could that be a factor too?

Tarazet

Greenpanda said:
Good explanation--I hadn't thought of that.

I had always thought that this might have something to do with development teams making overenthusiatic estimations to the suits of their games' sales potential in order to get a bigger budget, etc. (especially in the case of ambitious, large-scale projects like Xenosaga). Could that be a factor too?

Having seen Rare's behavior in the past few years, I think most people would agree with that.

Rlan

They thought Dig Dug: Digging Strike would sell 50,000 copies too, but that nosedived into the pavement. Shouldn't have though, it's a pretty good game.

They A) Should have been released as a cheap DS game, like the Bubble Bobbles and Bust a Moves did on the DS, and B) though that the "Dig Dug" title had buying power. It doesn't. Though it really should have included the original Dig Dug and Dig Dug II in it as well. missed opportunity.

Dig Dug was practically made in 5 months to make [Took 3 months between announcement and release], they should have budget titled that thing. I think Elf Bowling outsold it in America. Anyone got final sales data?

Pac 'N Roll is a great DS game that's sold poorly :*(

Pac World 3 sold shit across the board, I think. No doubt 3 more Pac-titles will be announced at E3 :|

I apprecizte their want to revive some old classics with the DS.. but I can't think of anything else that they could really revive now.

Top Bottom