• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TVii Announced (System seller?)

nintendo-tvii.jpg

9-13-2012-10-25-08-AM.png

9-13-2012-10-31-41-AM.png

Nintendo+TVii-1.jpg

Did anyone else watch this and think "system seller" like I did?

I'm not a huge TV person but the use of the Wii Pad in this way makes a heck of a lot of business sense.

Edit: Just to Clarify Key Features I Saw That Make Me Believe This Is A System Seller

*comment on portions of episodes and episodes and sports games on the fly, interacting with other people far away watching on their TVs
*recommend episodes and tv shows to other people's tvs at the push of a button
*show everyone what you're watching, and update your thoughts to all your social networks instantaneously
*use the Wii U Pad as the true universal DEVICE remote

This all seemed extremely impressive and intuitive to me.

tirminyl

I didn't see the stream but I assume you can watch tv on it? Does it stream from a Netflix or Hulu app that is already on the device?

Tagg9

Makes me wonder what kind of compatibility it will have with providers outside the US and Japan (Canada?).

Hoo-doo

Banned
All I was seeing was the immensely stuttery interface on the tablet.

And the fact that it won't come to EU regions at all, probably. :(

Kazerei

Banned
Nintendo TVii brings multiple services together. Netflix, hulu plus, Amazon instant video, TiVo, and live TV. It's all managed with the GamePad.

You can browse what's available, select what to watch, and then comment on what you're watching through Miiverse, Facebook, and Twitter. You can sign in as a Mii and get personalized recommendations and such.

Dave Long

Banned
It's handy, but no TV function should ever be a system seller for a videogames console. Watching TV means you're not playing or buying more games.

System seller? :lol Cool but hell no.

This is me from May of this year:

Okay gents, here's where I'm at with the Wii U:

I've realized that I use my 360 and PS3 less for games, and more for the multimedia aspect now. After dealing with various apps for my 360 including Netflix, Hulu+ and HBO Go, I'm frustrated with the user interface. I hate having to browse a catalog or search letter by letter using a remote. It's cumbersome and antiquated at this point.

So I guess what I'm saying is if Nintendo and Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc. can make apps available at launch and make them more user friendly, so you can browse a Netflix library on the Upad while having a movie playing already on the TV, or launch a different app at the same time like being able to browse the internet concurrently while watching something on Hulu (something I'm guilty of doing on my iPad a LOT) then already, I'm interested. If Nintendo comes through and makes it super easy to do their Skype-ing thing, like where you have a unified friends list and when they're on you literally click their name and can dial them to talk, I'm in.

Honestly, as I'm getting older, this is the stuff that appeals to me the most now. Yeah I'm still a Nintendo fanboy and get excited over the prospect of Pikmin 3, but after I beat the game, I want the streaming/video apps to work the best they can, and Nintendo is in a unique position to make it happen with the Upad. Here's hoping they're thinking that too.

So yeah, this sold me more then a lot of the games, (although Bayonetta 2's a hell of an announcement.)

SeanR1221

I thought the big thing from Nintendo fans was "I just wanna play games!"

Glad Nintendo is making some compromises. Looks neat.

All I was seeing was the immensely stuttery interface on the tablet.

And the fact that it won't come to EU regions at all, probably. :(

The stuttery interface most likely came from the tiny resolution of the Wii U Gamepad being blown up 100 times its size. If you watched the few times they showed it on the actual Gamepad on the guy's lap, it was a ton smoother.

So basically they added Roku/AppleTV/etc tech to it in a more fleshed out way than this gen's approach (which on all three systems was just "hey there's a netflix app). And added a little of the old Nintendo magic to it... each member of the household has their own queues and stuff.

Eh, not a system seller to me, exactly, but I definitely like it a lot!

Somnid

This is a very needed thing for TV style viewing. So far I think 360 has something a little like this by combining multiple streaming providers in a searchable list but it's really cool they are pulling TV into it and making it all very seamless.

Definitely kills the majority of tablet and and set-top box functionality as those are usually partitioned by app making searching for something particular a chore if one has it and another doesn't.

Effect

I think it could be as long as it works with all cable companies in the US/Canada along with Directv and the various DVR services the companies make and not just TIVO. There are tons of people that use their Wii for streaming. I could see this tipping the balance for some people, especially if a child ask for it.

Drakken

The key feature to me is being able to see all your viewing options (across Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, DVR, TV, etc.) at a glance, and then immediately start watching anything (regardless of what service it's on) by selecting it on the Wii gamepad. I have an iPad app called My Movies that I currently use to keep track of all the above (plus DVDs I own) - I think I paid like $10 for it, and it's so worth it because of the way it enables me to take stock of my collection and figure out what I want to watch. If TVii has decent content sorting options (reviews, genre, length, and so on), it'll be extremely useful.

calder

A cool feature but in no way a system seller.

Yeah. Nice option though... of course with history as my guide I'm going to predict US only for yeeeaaaarrss and when it does launch elsewhere it'll be of marginal interest at best.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The stuttery interface most likely came from the tiny resolution of the Wii U Gamepad being blown up 100 times its size. If you watched the few times they showed it on the actual Gamepad on the guy's lap, it was a ton smoother.

It was chugging even in the promo videos.

Is this of any use to people without cable and own like 5 things that play netflix?

Can I watch over the air TV on the tablet? That would be pretty cool

It looks surprisingly robust. I don't think its anything that people would buy the system for, but I think it will be something that a lot of people find themselves using and liking...

I hope Nintendo got deals in place with BSKYB and Lovefilm for the UK

zroid

Banned
TVii was E3's NintendoLand. Pretty cool, but the presentation was botched. Too long, too dull.

Fortunately they were smart enough not to save it for the end this time.

I'm just sad that it probably won't work with my DVR, seems like they have a TiVo thing going. That will greatly diminish its usefulness to me.

Thraktor

Seems I was correct:

Me on Monday said:
Prediction time:

On Thursday, we'll get the release date for the console in the main territories (Japan, US, EU), and possibly the price (although they may wait a couple more weeks for that), along with pack-in details. If the reported pricing details are correct, then the bundles are as follows:

$249 - Console and gamepad, no game
$299 - Console, gamepad and Wiimote/nunchuck, Nintendoland packed in
$349 - Console, gamepad and Wiimote/nunchuck, Nintendoland packed in, with 250GB HDD and Wind Waker HD download code

The games on show will mainly be from third parties, although they'll of course show clips of NSMBU, Nintendoland, Pikmin 3, etc. Expect Black Ops 2, Warfighter, Madden, etc., and possibly one or two other multiplats that haven't been confirmed for Wii U yet (nothing major though).

We'll get details on the online service, with a demonstration most likely involving Black Ops 2. We'll get info on the console's "Entertainment" functionality, which should include a unified interface for streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, alongside some sort of social component. It's also possible that the console will allow you to watch streaming content on the TV while someone plays a game on the gamepad screen.

Nintendo will talk about the Virtual Console service on the Wii U, and will confirm that you can transfer your VC games over from the Wii. We'll also get confirmation that you can play VC games on the gamepad screen, and that Gamecube games will start to appear on the VC on Wii U. They'll announce a line of "HD Classics", the first of which will be the aforementioned Wind Waker, which will temporarily be exclusive to people buying the $349 bundle.

We're not going to get any earth shattering new game announcements, but it should be a decent conference to pass the time until launch.

All you have to do is ignore all the stuff I got wrong.

That all said, as someone who doesn't live in NA, this isn't much use to me, but hopefully they bring it over to Europe sometime soon.

Interesting hook since it's relatively new to Nintendo consoles. Seems like a feature you can't live without once you have it for a while.

I think some in here are vastly underestimating the power of a socially connected TV experience, and they aren't backing up their opinions with hard facts. I'm not even getting a Wii U at launch I don't think but I know when I see something that will contribute to commercial success.

They didn't explain how "normal TV" would work. Does the Wii U have a slot for CableCard, or is it just a fancy remote control that you have to setup for your TV or cable box? Or maybe it'll only work with Tivo's, which would be horrible.

sazzy

People here are going to hate on it (which is utterly and completely irrelevant to Nintendo)

But this is gonna be great.

pakkit

Banned
It'll be interesting to see if casuals are receptive to this design. Nintendo is either being very smart to cash in on Apple's ubiquitous touch-design, or dumb in challenging Apple whose touch screen technology will undoubtedly strengthen in the next few years.

will it play mkv? will it play mkv?
the wiiu has the potential to be the best media player EVER. i really hope i can retire my HTPC for it, the game pad is miles more user friendly than anything out in the market now.

Top Bottom