• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion on PS3? Could it happen?

Mau ®

I remember when it was first revealed in GI they siad it was coming to PC,X360 and PS3. Then we only heard about the 360 and PC versions. Most sites had it for PS3 too I remember

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/702/702492.html

When you search for it under the search engine it doesn't appear but is it there!

Do you think it has something to do with the Sony Embargo? MS moneyhats? Do you think there will be a E3 announcement when all American publishers are allowed to announce their games for PS3?

ghostmind

I think that if PS3 truly did stick to a Spring launch, and had devkits into Bethesda hands earlier, we would be arguing about which version is better - PS3/X360/PC...

Now Fallout 3, on the other hand...

IJoel

In its current form, it's a Xbox 360 console exclusive, at least according to P. Moore. We'll see if there's a GOTY edition or another edition including an expansion pack (you can bet there will be at least one expansion pack for it,) that is console multi-platform, released in the future.

fartblast

Banned
IJoel said:
In its current form, it's a Xbox 360 console exclusive, at least according to P. Moore. We'll see if there's a GOTY edition or another edition including an expansion pack (you can bet there will be at least one expansion pack for it,) that is console multi-platform, released in the future.

well of course he can say it is "console exclusive" because 360 is the only console out right now that has it, i dont see a reason why it will not come out on ps3. if i remember right the early shots they showed were running on real early ps3/360 devkits

jedimike

fartblast said:
well of course he can say it is "console exclusive" because 360 is the only console out right now that has it, i dont see a reason why it will not come out on ps3. if i remember right the early shots they showed were running on real early ps3/360 devkits

This is what I got off of the bonus CD... when Bethesda first started development on Oblivion, there wasn't a target platform. PS3 and 360 specs were non-existent. So it was still open at that point.

Somewhere prior to E3 '05, MS became the only console. Peter Moore showed off the trailer during MS's E3 conference. I'm guessing it had something to do with the deals that happened between Take 2 and MS.

GhaleonEB

MS has said over and over that this is a console exclusive for the 360. They reiterated that in Monday's press release:

Microsoft said:
Gamers can choose from a range of truly next-generation games such as "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games), an Xbox 360 console exclusive with beautiful next-generation graphics and a huge world to explore

I don't think it gets much more clear than that.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060321/sftu067.html?.v=47

Phoenix

GhaleonEB said:
MS has said over and over that this is a console exclusive for the 360. They reiterated that in Monday's press release:

I don't think it gets much more clear than that.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060321/sftu067.html?.v=47

Too bad that isn't a Microsoft property. The only people who can answer whether or not this title will show up on PS3 are the people at Bethesda. No one at Microsoft has any say nor control over that.

Interestingly enough the game is written using NDL/Gamebryo - which is the same platform on both X360 and PS3, so if the game doesn't show up on the PS3 - its because Bethesda decided they weren't going to make any money off it or some other business reason. It certainly won't be for any technical reason.

GhaleonEB

Phoenix said:
Too bad that isn't a Microsoft property. The only people who can answer whether or not this title will show up on PS3 are the people at Bethesda. No one at Microsoft has any say nor control over that.

Interestingly enough the game is written using NDL/Gamebryo - which is the same platform on both X360 and PS3, so if the game doesn't show up on the PS3 - its because Bethesda decided they weren't going to make any money off it or some other business reason. It certainly won't be for any technical reason.
If Microsoft secured a console exclusive, I'd say it's okay for them to tout that fact.

Beowvlf

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
If Microsoft secured a console exclusive, I'd say it's okay for them to tout that fact.
For all we know they're simply touting console exclusive because, by default, it is. There is no other console you'll be able to get this game on right now; why not tout that fact?

It'd be pretty stupid of Bethesda to not port this to the PS3, either around launch or when they release their inevitable GOTY or whatever version. I imagine it'd be a fairly simple port, and they'd likely have a monopoly on the RPG market that early in the PS3's life; just as they have now with the 360.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wasn't the whole issue before about the HDD and PS3? Now that Sony is putting more emphasis on HDD support..I can see Bethesda throwing Oblivion PS3's way. Unless MS put some hefty money down to keep Oblivion on the Xbox360.

Not that it matters to me...once I get the 360 (which should be soon), the first game I buy will be Oblivion.

Phoenix

GhaleonEB said:

How many 'very popular high profile' games that actually could run on multiple platforms had anything but a time-limited console exclusivity?

Speevy

Banned
I don't believe it will, but I also can't think of a good reason for this. So maybe it will. Stranger things have happened.

Everyone is better off buying better parts for their PCs than buying a 360 for Oblivion. Oblivion's load times drive me nuts on the 360 compared to the PC.

it might but it would be totally up to Bethseda. I doubt MS would pay for an exclusive that has no other console to go to for the next 7 months. MS is just touting it as exclusive cause it is one by default.

Raistlin

I'd like to see a sequel, that uses the eyeToy so you can fight from the 'Crossed Swords' perspective with a cheesy green stick.

GhaleonEB

Phoenix said:
How many 'very popular high profile' games that actually could run on multiple platforms had anything but a time-limited console exclusivity?
I don't recall MS ever claiming a Splinter Cell or Ghost Recon as "console exclusive". In fact in the same press release I quoted the next part of the sentence is about GRAW. GRAW is known to be coming to the PS3, PS2, XBox. The press release states Oblivion as "console exclusive", but NOT GRAW. I think that's a significan distinction. Here's the full sentence:

Microsoft said:
Gamers can choose from a range of truly next-generation games such as "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games), an Xbox 360 console exclusive with beautiful next-generation graphics and a huge world to explore; "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter" (Ubisoft Entertainment SA), the latest version of the successful Tom Clancy series that once again pushes the boundaries of multiplayer boundaries on Xbox Live; and "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend" (Eidos Interactive Ltd.), the next-generation debut of the very popular Lara Croft series.

Note the difference in the language.

Timed exclusive =/= "console exclusive" and is not claimed as such.

Oblivion is.

Speevy

Banned
DarknessTear said:
Everyone is better off buying better parts for their PCs than buying a 360 for Oblivion. Oblivion's load times drive me nuts on the 360 compared to the PC.

That would be very expensive, and besides that, the load times aren't that long. Are you talking about the "loading area" text on the large areas? Because load times aren't even close to the worst I've seen.

Speevy said:
That would be very expensive, and besides that, the load times aren't that great. Are you talking about the "loading area" text on the large areas? Because load times aren't even close to the worst I've seen.

That and a load screen at nearly every door. PC's loading is mucho faster. Plus if you have a nice enough PC you can edit the game to have better draw distance and such (where things far away are detailed).

Speevy

Banned
DarknessTear said:
That and a load screen at nearly every door. PC's loading is mucho faster. Plus if you have a nice enough PC you can edit the game to have better draw distance and such (where things far away are detailed).

Okay, that's just nitpicking. Mere seconds. I thought PC gamers were accustomed to 20 minute load screens.

Phoenix

GhaleonEB said:
I don't recall MS ever claiming a Splinter Cell or Ghost Recon as "console exclusive". In fact in the same press release I quoted the next part of the sentence is about GRAW. GRAW is known to be coming to the PS3, PS2, XBox. The press release states Oblivion as "console exclusive", but NOT GRAW. I think that's a significan distinction. Here's the full sentence:

Oblivion is.

OKay. Lets have this conversation in 12 months or so.

GhaleonEB said:

Oblivion is.

thats because, as you said, GRAW is known to be coming to other systems, Obvlivion is not. Doesn't mean anything, really.

Phoenix

Speevy said:
Okay, that's just nitpicking. Mere seconds. I thought PC gamers were accustomed to 20 minute load screens.

Only if you're playing on some piece of crap off the shelf Dell or HP.

<nu>faust

it's funny how ppl let their wishes/emotions get in the way of the logic. what part of "console exclusive" is not clear?

GhaleonEB

Ninja Scooter said:
thats because, as you said, GRAW is known to be coming to other systems, Obvlivion is not. Doesn't mean anything, really.
WFT? It means it's exclusive to the 360 for consoles! The answer to the thread title is "No, and no."

And to the original poster, that IGN listing has been there for a loooooong time, ever since Oblivion was announced. Doesn't mean anthing other than IGN hasn't cleaned up their database. It's IGN.

GhaleonEB said:
WFT? It means it's exclusive to the 360 for consoles! The answer to the thread title is "No, and no."

And to the original poster, that IGN listing has been there for a loooooong time, ever since Oblivion was announced. Doesn't mean anthing other than IGN hasn't cleaned up their database. It's IGN.

because games that have been touted as "exclusive" have never seen ports to other consoles...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Speevy said:
*preorders Lair for the Xbox 360*

That statement would be logical if the PS3 was the only console out and Xbox360 was a few months down the line. Your a smart guy Speevy and I would think you got the fact that "Console Exclusive" could be used because its the only Next Gen Console out at the moment.

Also, I didn't know Bethesda was a Second party developer for the X360...

Insertia

I see no reason why it won't come to PS3. Not like it was built from the ground up on 360.
PC game ported to a console.

I recall the only thing preventing Morrowind from coming to PS2 was a hdd.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay guys, we'll see. But ya'll are insane. :lol

we'll see what? You are the insane one if you think MS is going to pony up cash to get exclusivity for a game that is going to be exclusive anyway by default. By the time it can be ported over 6-7 months from now, the game will be old news anyway.

Speevy

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Also, I didn't know Bethesda was a Second party developer for the X360...

I was actually responding to the premise that hardware limitations aside, every big third party game is multiplatform.

Earlier in the thread:

There are successful games that stay exclusive just because they're exclusive. Is there any evidence that this game is coming to the PS3? No. And that's the current situation. When the situation changes, we'll talk about the new version.

I remember the guys over at TeamXbox used to start threads "mining" the Gamecube lineup for its exclusives. "Will Resident Evil 4 ever come to the Xbox?"

Bla bla bla. I'm glad you like the game we're playing, and I hope you get to play it some day. But this particular claim leads inevitably to the stupid "OMG THE PS3 DEFINITIVE VERSION" arguments, which really kills the discussion of what is a fantastic game.

Speevy said:
I remember the guys over at TeamXbox used to start threads "mining" the Gamecube lineup for its exclusives. "Will Resident Evil 4 ever come to the Xbox?"

Bla bla bla. I'm glad you like the game we're playing, and I hope you get to play it some day. But this particular claim leads inevitably to the stupid "OMG THE PS3 DEFINITIVE VERSION" arguments, which really kills the discussion of what is a fantastic game.

no, you have it backwards. This will just lead to innocent speculation. The thread title is simply "Oblivion on PS3? Could it happen?", not "Oblivion on PS3: WHATS THE CURRENT SITUATION?" If/when a PS3 version is announced, THEN we'll see the "DEFINITIVE VERSION!!!!11" fanboy back and forth.

ThirdEye

I think it's not at all related to HDD, in fact it's likely Bethesda knew it that X360 doesn't have HDD before anyone else

Foil

Bethesda would be smart to put out a PS3 version, just for the sake of increaing the potential userbase and getting more sales. The more Oblivion sells (on all platforms) the better for the future of the series.

Phoenix

Speevy said:
I was actually responding to the premise that hardware limitations aside, every big third party game is multiplatform.

Which big third party games made on middleware that allowed the game to be ported to other platforms were NOT ported to other platforms? There is nothing technical to prevent Oblivion from being ported to the PS3 - all of the technology used on the title is in the middleware chain for the PS3. So I'm looking at the logical argument for why it couldn't and wouldn't be moved to the PS3, and so far I haven't seen any logical reason why it couldn't.

Except that this is a discussion about whether or not the game could/would be done on PS3.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Sure why not. GTA still sold well on Xbox, so why wouldn't Oblivion do fine, although out quite a bit later, on the PS3?

Krowley

the thing for me is... i have a feeling that the ps3 will be a more powerfull and full featured system than the 360. there is not much legitimate media out there right now, but things like the mgs demo make it seem likley. So for my super duper powerfull console (next to the revolution) i would probably want the most powerfull one, especially if it's gonna be 400+ dollars to buy one.

On the other side of the fence is the fact that i like the way my xbox lets my play western PC oriented games without upgrading my PC... it's starting to look like the 360 is getting the same kinds of exclusives and that is something that i can't do without.

This is one of those games that i've always felt would be amazing. I don't have tons of money, so buying one of these expensive new consoles is a big decision for me. Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG of the current generation and i absolutley must have oblivion. for me this game could be pivotal in determining whether or not i buy a ps3 or a 360 first. in the end i will probably have both, but one of them will be waiting a long time for discount prices and plentiful used hardware at gamestop.

In truth i hope one of them dies off... it would save me a few dollars in the long run if one of them fails miserably. i'm either rooting for the ps3 to be too expensive for casual gamers, or for the 360 to be dreamcast part 2.. if they both thrive it just means more money for me to spend on what will essentially be the same type of console. these consoles are mostly clones, regardless of the specs.. they are going after the same market and i think consumers would benifit in some ways if one of them wins a complete victory.

Azih

Do what I did last gen, buy one of them early, ,ignore the other one until near the end of the gen, that way you get to be up to date throughout the generation *and* have a huge number of cheap amazing games near the end.

Yoboman

Why wouldn't it? I've never seen Bethesda officially say there was never a PS3 version in the works OR that the PS3 version was officially cancelled. I think we can all agree, that at some point, a PS3 version was in the works. It's probable that MS has simply worked out a time exclusitivity agreement..I see no reason for Bethesda to deny themselves extra money from PS3

Top Bottom