• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects Assassin's Creed Origins to sell above Syndicate, but below Unity

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Announced on their fiscal call. Relatively restrained expectations, since I think that would make it the second worst selling mainline title, and perhaps below Brotherhood and Revelations as well.

On the upside (more optimistic hopes), they still expect it to be below Black Flag, which was 11 million (whereas Unity was more like 7 million).

CHC

Sensible, since Unity seems to have been the zenith of both interest and disappointment.

Personally, I think it'll do better than that, but I'm not a professional. It's just a unique setting and a seemingly thorough re-evaluation of the AC formula.

Neonep

There just doesn't seem to be that much hype for it.
Of all of the major titles dropping this year I hear about Origins the least. It's like that year off did nothing. Assassin's Creed needs to take several years off. Ubisoft needs to bring back Prince Of Persia in some form.

jtb

Banned
Of all of the major titles dropping this year I hear about Origins the least. It's like that year off did nothing. Assassin's Creed needs to take several years off. Ubisoft needs to bring back Prince Of Persia in some form.

Or splinter cell

SomTervo

Sensible, since Unity seems to have been the zenith of both interest and disappointment.

Personally, I think it'll do better than that, but I'm not a professional. It's just a unique setting and a seemingly thorough re-evaluation of the AC formula.

Agreed on all counts.

Although I disagree with the poster above: I think there's quite a lot of sincere excitement for Origins. I think it boils down to:
- going back to the series roots in terms of lore
- interesting setting
- mixing up game mechanics

Sensible, since Unity seems to have been the zenith of both interest and disappointment

Which is a shame that Unity released in the state that it did. After the patches, it was a fine game.

That makes sense. Unity was the out-of-the-gate next gen experience and it was both massively bundled and massively shat on. AC will be paying for that one for quite a while.

Humidex

Of course it'll be below Unity...the only reason I can think of its sales has been because of the Xbox One codes going for less than two quid a pop! ;)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I still want to see how Unity performs on XBOX One X even though there are no enhancements announced for any AC title outside of Origins. I keep hoping for some performance boost enough to make it worth re-playing since I never completed it.

I still want to see how Unity performs on XBOX One X even though there are no enhancements announced for any AC title outside of Origins. I keep hoping for some performance boost enough to make it worth re-playing since I never completed it.

Boost mode on Pro locks it at 30 so expect that, at least.. Though the Xbox barely had problems iirc, the lowest dips were like 27-28 FPS.

I'm excited for Origins, though, it looks very good.

dcx4610

Unity was marketed incorrectly. It made it seem from the cover that you had to team up with people or something. It's a good single player AC game with gorgeous graphics and the most realistic lighting system I've ever seen. France was fun to explore but Arno was probably one of the weaker main characters and I just didn't care about him or the story. Still worth playing if you like AC games. I'd go 7/10.

Like all AC games though, once you get towards the end, it becomes extremely repetitive. Most games ramp up towards the end while AC always seems to falter at the end and you just want them to end.

I fully expect Origins to be awesome at first and then once you are 20 hours in, you feel like you are wasting your time.

Madness

Shame. Origins looks better. Unity really killed the series, huh.

Assassins Creed 3 killed it. Black Flag tried to bring it back from the dead. Unity just cremated it. Syndicate was just an in memoriam. Literally no one I know, online friends, real life, people who consider AC 2 and Brotherhood and Revelations as amazing games even knows about Origins or is interested in buying it. Which is a shame because it seems to have really pushed the game series forward.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Boost mode on Pro locks it at 30 so expect that, at least.. Though the Xbox barely had problems iirc, the lowest dips were like 27-28 FPS.

I'm excited for Origins, though, it looks very good.

30 isn't bad. I have PS4 Pro, but I traded the game in during the big Gamestop 4th of July promotion, might buy back digitally since it's about $2 or so on XBOX One through certain retailers. Pre-ordered the Gold edition of Origins. Really looking forward to it.

Deepwater

Assassins Creed 3 killed it. Black Flag tried to bring it back from the dead. Unity just cremated it. Syndicate was just an in memoriam. Literally no one I know, online friends, real life, people who consider AC 3 and Brotherhood and Revelations as amazing games even knows about Origins or is interested in buying it. Which is a shame because it seems to have really pushed the game series forward.

4, Rogue, and Syndicate are all great games. 3 and Unity soured it for a lot of people. It's a mixed bag. I enjoy the formula so I'll show up for each release but not everyone is like that.

It also doesn't help that it's obvious they have no idea what to do with the present day storyline after 3. Painfully obvious.

Origins looks fantastic, but these are realistic expectations. I do hope the game is amazing and shows Ubisoft that the series is still great, but doesn't need a release every year. :)

Add a poor E3 to a stuffed calendar, and I could honestly see every game under preforming this fall. Not on a general(each) level, but cumulative(all). It might just be projection, but I'm not seeing the excitement for anything, really.

Is it bad that I would have preferred a sequel to Syndicate?
It's my 2nd favorite AC(first is Brotherhood).
I know the franchise gets shit for being samey, but I want more Syndicate.

Honestly something about Origins just rubs me the wrong way. It's different alright, but it also looks boring.

Bizzquik

If Ubi holds true to form, it'll probably be included in an AMD/Nvidia new GPU purchase bundle, so hopefully I'll get it on PC two weeks after release for ~$22.

The Game Informer article kept ramming home its new RPG-lite focus; I can definitely get behind that.

(I could be talked into a release day purchase on Xbox One X if it reviewed well and had an optional performance mode of 60fps on 1080p...but that ain't gonna happen...)

Ashtar

I think it'll be closer to black flag and sell around 10 million, the marketing push from Ubi and ms is gonna be nuts
Gonna take some Time off work to properly play this and Mario

Welfare

I think 5M and over would be a great result for Origins. Will take a few years if ever for AC to sell upwards of 8M and up.

Ahasverus

It definitely didn't help it, thanks to how broken it was and it shows with Syndicate not selling as well as Unity despite being a much more competent game, with far less bugs.
It also looked far worse, which reeked of quick cash in. It /is/ a better game, but it's janky and feels rushed.

It also looked far worse, which reeked of quick cash in. It /is/ a better game, but it's janky and feels rushed.

They had to tone it down because the engine wouldn't work though, which is a shame because graphically, Unity is still one of the best looking games out there (when it worked)

Syndicate still looked decent though and I didn't find it any more janky than the other AC games really.

Shame. Origins looks better. Unity really killed the series, huh.

No game killed the series, the gap between Unity and Syndicate isn't that enormous and that still a respectable number. They really milked it a bit too much there and the games dipped in quality which makes the numbers understandable, but this game will sell very well if it doesn't suck and it could be huge if it turns out to be really critically acclaimed (which I doubt).

Assassins Creed 3 killed it. Black Flag tried to bring it back from the dead. Unity just cremated it. Syndicate was just an in memoriam. Literally no one I know, online friends, real life, people who consider AC 2 and Brotherhood and Revelations as amazing games even knows about Origins or is interested in buying it. Which is a shame because it seems to have really pushed the game series forward.
This narrative would almost make sense if the sales figures didn't completely debunk it.

Ahasverus

They had to tone it down because the engine wouldn't work though, which is a shame because graphically, Unity is still one of the best looking games out there (when it worked)

Syndicate still looked decent though and I didn't find it any more janky than the other AC games really.
It didn't look "decent", it looked bad. It's easily the worst looking game on my PS4. It feels like an upressed last gen game.

That it came out after Unity was (is?) the prime boy of AAA production values did the game no favors. It felt like the "B game from the B team".

Which is sad. it's really fun. Still dumb like every AC after BroHood, but fun.

I've played every mainline AC. Loved Black Flag, finished Unity and thought it was solid (but not Black Flag good), didn't even get close to finishing Syndicate, have no interest at all in Origins.

Not sure why, but everything I've seen doesn't make it look all that different from previous AC entries.

JP

I'm sort of in a different position to what I usually am with this game, I'm just not convinced that I need another Assassin's Creed game with all the other major releases around the same time.

I think I feel this in particular with what happened last year with many of the bigger games appearing in sales on PSN really quickly. With games like Assassin's Creed I'd much rather wait for discounts and spend my money on games that I really want.

True Fire

Unity (+saturation) hurt the brand so much that doing better than Syndicate is the best they can really hope for.

I'm sure this game will get great WOM though. I know a lot of people who are coming back to the franchise after jumping ship with 4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It didn't look "decent", it looked bad. It's easily the worst looking game on my PS4. It feels like an upressed last gen game.

That it came out after Unity was (is?) the prime boy of AAA production values did the game no favors. It felt like the "B game from the B team".

Which is sad. it's really fun. Still dumb like every AC after BroHood, but fun.
Think you're being quite hyperbolic there. Syndicate wasn't the best looking open world game ever but it was definitely one of the best looking 2015 games. And ofc the scale with the 1:1 monument philosophy being retained

Top Bottom