• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Acquires IP From Osterhout Design Group - Fortaleza Related?

Earlier this week, Facebook announced that it had acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion, and it turns out that this isn’t the only recent piece of M&A in the category of head-mounted wearable computing. Microsoft, we have discovered, has paid up to $150 million to buy IP assets related to augmented reality, head-borne computers, and related items from the Osterhout Design Group, a low-profile company that develops wearable computing devices and other gadgets, these days primarily for the military and other government organizations.

As you might remember, we first broke the news that Microsoft was looking at acquiring ODG, or part of its assets, in September 2013, at a price tag of up to $200 million, depending on what went into the deal.

Here’s what ended up happening: Microsoft was indeed in discussions with the company, and as we reported, the conversations were focused around whether Microsoft would try to buy the whole company outright or just intellectual property. Ultimately, it worked out to be the latter, for a price that TechCrunch understands is between $100 million and $150 million.

After a source told us that the deal was done, we dug a bit further and managed also to get a confirmation from Ralph Osterhout himself, the low-profile inventor, founder and head of ODG.

While he would not talk about any of the terms of the transaction (we got a price from another source), he tells me ODG will remain a separate company.

In fact, it is already at work on a new set of technologies and products around head-mounted computing devices, with a new set of patents to go with them that Microsoft does not own. (And for the record it continues to have no outside investment, although as its Crunchbase profile points out there does appear to be one shareholder, David Spector, formerly a VC at Sequoia who is now working on his own e-commerce startup called meCommerce.)

The government continues to be ODG’s primary customer, although as Osterhout reminds us, the pace of technology right now is such that the kinds of innovations being created for enterprises and other organizations has very direct applicability to the consumer market, too — and the reverse as well when you think about the wider trend of the consumerization of IT.

“In terms of what we’re doing [at ODG], we don’t make weapons. We make things that can help people do their jobs,” he says. “The real focus are features that are applicable in the consumer space, too.” In other words, ODG may already be talking to other companies for consumer products; or its door is open to that possibility.

We have contacted Microsoft multiple times about this story but have not had a response. We’ll add it in when we do.

In any case, you can follow the patent trail for the basics. It’s a trove of over 81 patents, with six issued patents and “at least” 75 patents in progress both in the U.S. and internationally. You can trace them for yourself here; and here and here are links to two of the granted patents to illustrate the kinds of technologies we are talking about. They cover things like “See-through near-eye display glasses including a partially reflective, partially transmitting optical element” and “Video display modification based on sensor input for a see-through near-to-eye display.”

The deal between Microsoft and Osterhout actually closed last November, with the patents quietly transferring in January 2014.

It’s not clear what Microsoft intends to do with the patents but there are a couple of very clear directions it could take. The first is developing its own head-borne computing devices.

There has been a lot of speculation about what Microsoft might choose to do in this department. One clear area of opportunity for the company is in the area of its Xbox gaming and entertainment console. Developing a headset for that could work well with the company’s Kinect gesture-based features, but also potentially as a new screen for experiencing not just games but other media.

Interestingly one of the patents I noticed links the headset up with a separate device that looks like a wristwatch.

Pointedly, Zuckerberg was somewhat dismissive of how far Microsoft (and later, Sony) has gotten on this front.

“Microsoft hasn’t even gotten to the point where they have anything to demo yet,” he said. Later in his remarks, he implied that the kind of device that Microsoft is working on is too tied to a console and that the route to domination will be in head-gear products that may in effect act as the consoles and mobile devices themselves. “What we basically believe is that unlike the Microsoft or Sony pure console strategies, if you want to make this a real computing platform, you need to fuse both of those things together.”

There is also the area of enterprise services.

As we have pointed out before, Microsoft continues to focus on how it can hone and strengthen its relationships with business customers. While the Nokia deal will help it create more integrated software and hardware products to address the increasingly essential area of enterprise mobility, you can imagine that Microsoft is undoubtedly thinking of other enterprise hardware to extend that further.

The second direction Microsoft could take with Osterhout’s IP is doing what many large tech companies are these days: safeguarding their own technologies and current/future products while also making sure that they get a cut of royalties on other successful products if they feel they could infringe on IP.

This is not a route unfamiliar to Microsoft. Some have estimated the company could make as much as $2 billion annually from Android royalties. Just yesterday, Microsoft extended its Google royalty pool after it inked a patent deal with Dell covering not just Android but Chrome OS devices made by the latter company.

Notably, it looks like Oculus has just a single patent filed with the USPTO at the moment, for a “virtual reality headset.”

Osterhout — a career inventor who has created gadgets that range from shooting pens and early ID systems based on iris scans through to scuba and naval equipment — rarely talks to the press (thank you again for talking to me, Ralph). So I took the opportunity to ask him what he thought of the $2 billion deal between Facebook and the virtual reality headgear maker.

“I was amazed,” he said, elaborating with an explanation that sounded a lot like Zuckerberg’s criticism of Microsoft and Sony. “What surprised me most is the amount of money, given that it’s not a standalone, complete computing solution…it’s part of a solution that is designed to be plugged into something else.”

The other important point, he believes, is that the hardware that Oculus has shown is still far from being usable by the mass market beyond a group of hardcore gamers. “When you put weight on the head you put stress on neck muscles,” he says. “It might not be too comfortable for the duration.”

To be fair, this is a wider issue for the whole of the industry, he says, and has led to an “obsession” among device makers and inventors to work on solutions that optimise processing power and optics but keeping them as light as possible. “The last 10-20 years has seen a ton of patents in this area, but having something that is light weight and low power has been an unbelievable challenge.” He says what Oculus has done with its attention to low latency “is great.”

At the same time, such a big acquisition is great news for everyone working in the same area as Oculus. “An immersive experience [such as you can have with] head-borne wearables is a big deal,” he says.

While today is the age of the mobile device, longer term, echoing some of what Zuckerberg said about Facebook’s interest in Oculus, there will come a time when even those light, handheld devices will feel cumbersome.

“There is no question about where we will want our computing to go,” he continues. “If we can make it eloquent enough, head-borne computing devices will be transformative. It’s impossible for them not to be.”

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/27/microsoft-paid-up-to-150m-to-buy-wearable-computing-ip-from-the-osterhout-design-group/

So is MS finally starting to make a move on the AR side?

Will anyone care by the time MS releases it, which I'd assume would be 2 years after Sony and OR release their product? Unless of course they rush the hell out of it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wish MS would just announce Rift support for the XBO.

Honestly if they did this, "which would be really smart considering that Microsoft is a software company first not hardware" it might put them ahead of the curve since OR would definitely be ready before morpheus, and it would also likely be cheaper.

ironcreed

Banned
Looking forward to seeing what they are working on. Hopefully it is something streamlined and non-intrusive for those of us who wear glasses. Beyond that, I am just not a fan of goofy looking headsets that looks like something out of a Devo video.

Raide

except for that latency problem

I have not really seen anything that demanded super low latency. I am sure they can do some interesting things with Kinect 2. They already did some fun stuff with the first Kinect, so some of the heart-rate stuff could be interesting if they make the VR stuff less face-filling. :D

Honestly if they did this, "which would be really smart considering that Microsoft is a software company first not hardware" it might put them ahead of the curve since OR would definitely be ready before morpheus, and it would also likely be cheaper.
There's no confirmation it will be out before Morpheus. Based on rumors, Morpheus prototype we saw a few weeks back is the one they were thinking of unveiling since December, some rumors go as far back as Gamescom. They've been working on it for 3 or 4 years now.

I think MS has probably been working on something for awhile. Just they aren't going to announce is prematurely like Sony is. Let's be honest we probably won't see Morpheus for another 2 years... Maybe.

No sense announcing something coming out years from now. My guess is MS will announce something a few months before they release something.

jelly

Also this today as well.

REDMOND, Wash. — March 26, 2014 — Microsoft Corp. and Dell announced a patent licensing agreement allowing the companies to share technology and build on each other’s innovations. It is the continuation of a nearly 30-year business relationship between Microsoft and Dell to deliver world-class technologies to consumers.

“Our agreement with Dell shows what can be accomplished when companies share intellectual property,” said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel of the Innovation and Intellectual Property Group at Microsoft. “We have been partnering with technology manufacturers and vendors for many years to craft licensing deals, instead of litigation strategies.”

“Today’s announcement builds on our history of collaborating to bring new technologies to market. The relationship between Dell and Microsoft continues to help Dell deliver choice and flexibility to customers looking for the best technology to meet their needs,” said Neil Hand, vice president, End User Computing Products at Dell.

Through this arrangement, Microsoft and Dell have agreed to license each company’s applicable intellectual property related to Android and Chrome OS devices and Xbox gaming consoles. Under the terms of the agreement, they agreed on royalties for Dell’s products running the Android or Chrome platforms and on consideration to Dell for a license for Xbox gaming consoles.

The other important point, he believes, is that the hardware that Oculus has shown is still far from being usable by the mass market beyond a group of hardcore gamers. “When you put weight on the head you put stress on neck muscles,” he says. “It might not be too comfortable for the duration.”
Yes, besides quantity and quality of software using it, this is the major problem for gaming and any serious plans for mainstream adoption.

Sounds like MS is well on its way to, at least, demoing something like their planned AR/VR glasses.

Kudo coming on stage with his signature sunglasses and revealing that they aren't just sunglasses, they're Project Fortaleza AR glasses is just too obvious. You know its going to happen.

I think MS has probably been working on something for awhile. Just they aren't going to announce is prematurely like Sony is. Let's be honest we probably won't see Morpheus for another 2 years... Maybe.

No sense announcing something coming out years from now. My guess is MS will announce something a few months before they release something.

Sony announced the morpheus so they could garner developer support and inputs.

What's the point of announcing something just shortly before release if you're not going to have the software to show for it ?

Kinyou

Wish MS would just announce Rift support for the XBO.
Would probably be the smartest thing to do. I think AR has some great possibilities, but when it's about third party support, it's probably wiser to stay close to the competition. Ubisoft wont make a VR and an AR Ass creed.

Sony announced the morpheus so they could garner developer support and inputs.

What's the point of announcing something just shortly before release if you're not going to have the software to show for it ?

They can announce things behind closed doors ahead of time to developers.

What your saying is the ps4 and xbox one should of been announced 2 years ago so developers would of known. There is clauses to say they can't talk about certain tech, but can work on it.

Would probably be the smartest thing to do. I think AR has some great possibilities, but when it's about third party support, it's probably wiser to stay close to the competition. Ubisoft wont make a VR and an AR Ass creed.

I think AR will allow developers to keep their products very similar to the on TV version, unlike VR which requires a lot of changes.

SPDIF

Will anyone care by the time MS releases it, which I'd assume would be 2 years after Sony and OR release their product? Unless of course they rush the hell out of it.

Who says they have to rush? They've likely been working on it for a number of years. For all we know they could have it ready to go at the same time or even before Morpheus.

Remark

Banned
Has anyone even thought about if the XBO Hardware can even handle VR? I mean I'm not experienced in VR so I could be wrong but isn't the PS4 barely scraping by what should be the minimum for a good VR experience. How would the XBO even pull it off?

Has anyone even thought about if the XBO Hardware can even handle VR? I mean I'm not experienced in VR so I could be wrong but isn't the PS4 barely scraping by what should be the minimum for a good VR experience. How would the XBO even pull it off?

Well, since games need to be designed specifically for VR for them to be worthwhile past a short demo, the way they perform would have to be specific to the capability of the system and display. You would still be able to make VR games that ran with those limitations if those were known from the start rather than try to shoehorn a standard game that uses more resources. There's also a very likely possibility in the glasses coming with extra hardware to dock with the console. Without any information on the experience itself or specs, it's impossible to know how it will be accomplished if it even happens at all beyond internal research and prototypes.

SPDIF

Kudo coming on stage with his signature sunglasses and revealing that they aren't just sunglasses, they're Project Fortaleza AR glasses is just too obvious. You know its going to happen.

Well according to Phil Spencer he is working on future tech, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised if it is him who demonstrates it.

Anyway, these seem pretty thick to just be sunglasses:

BO8Dxpo.jpg

l1BXKeF.jpg

They're probably just sunglasses.

Kuro

AR is a harder problem than VR.

The challenges you need to solve for good AR are a superset of the challenges you need to solve for good VR.

It would be great if they just made a game's HUD available "outside" the screen and on the edges of the glasses.

AR is a harder problem than VR.

The challenges you need to solve for good AR are a superset of the challenges you need to solve for good VR.

As someone only barely familiar with the idea of AR for gaming scenarios, could you elaborate? I was expecting something more inline with simply augmenting the on-screen experience, like an Illumiroom-style expansion of visual information, or like an expanded HUD or even some limited 3D objects moving in space in front of and around the screen and using Kinect to integrate players' position to game elements.

I heard Kinect tracking is too slow to function in VR.

Yeah, that's what I heard as well. I've been wondering though, since the camera is needed for absolute positional tracking does it need to provide that information every frame? Would it be a good enough compromise to only update the absolute position every couple of frames?

The other thing to keep in mind is that there could be other solutions to the absolute position problem. The external camera is just the solution we have seen with the most success so far.

AR seems more like a logical extension of Xbox Smartglass. Enhancing what is on the TV and providing additional information rather than trying to completely replace the TV with another display like VR.

I'm not sure console users want to be blocked out from their expensive HDTV and the people around them or even to be tethered to a wired device.

SmartGlass, Fortaleza, and Ilumiroom all shared the same basic concept that the HDTV is still the main display for games and though you are more immersed in the content on that display you are not completely cut off from the real world.

DryvBy

Greetings. You have the best name and tag ever.

Anyway, I think this is too niche to sell systems at that magnitude. $500 for a system + $250-$300 for VR? That's a lot of cash money, dawg.

Well according to Phil Spencer he is working on future tech, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised if it is him who demonstrates it.

Anyway, these seem pretty thick to just be sunglasses:

BO8Dxpo.jpg

l1BXKeF.jpg

They're probably just sunglasses.
Look like 3D glasses to me.

As someone only barely familiar with the idea of AR for gaming scenarios, could you elaborate? I was expecting something more inline with simply augmenting the on-screen experience, like an Illumiroom-style expansion of visual information, or like an expanded HUD or even some limited 3D objects moving in space in front of and around the screen and using Kinect to integrate players' position to game elements.

With VR, the player is wearing a closed off headset looking only at a screen. You can draw whatever you want on the screen and that's all the player sees. It also needs low latency head tracking to work well and keep the scene in place with where the player expects.

With AR, you also need to have super low-latency head tracking, and you need something that will ensure objects seem rooted in the world. If I have an AR dog that is sitting on your real couch, if you look to the left and then look back, you expect that dog to be sitting in the EXACT same place, or else it could look really weird. With VR you have a bit of wiggle room since the entire scene is displayed on the screen, and you're not overlaying one scene onto the real world. Similar goal, but you also need some sort of low latency object/face tracking. In the above example, you would somehow need to track the couch and know that's where the AR dog should be.

You also have a different set of complications with the display tech, because you're essentially blending two scenes (one faked, one real) onto each other. With VR, you're only displaying the faked world.

There's a bit more, but that's the tl;dr version. AR is definitely a superset of the problems you face in VR though.

Honestly, I would much rather have a set of AR glasses instead of a VR headset. If they could somehow simulate real world interactions that would be awesome. Anyone read this?

4699575.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Greetings. You have the best name and tag ever.

Anyway, I think this is too niche to sell systems at that magnitude. $500 for a system + $250-$300 for VR? That's a lot of cash money, dawg.

Aw shucks thanks :3

Yeah it's a pretty big chunk of dosh, but I guess the idea is that VR is gonna be expensive regardless of how it's done.

I'm not expecting Sony's Morpheus to be cheaper than Oculus Rift and if MS which already has its feet in the PC landscape manages to allow for OR support on the xbone it would make PC gamers who own an OR more likely to pick up an xbone.

Even if they don't profit from it directly it could be a good long run investment. Possibly they could move more xbones, and just giving devs that additional choice could bring in new prospects.

Novak

I heard Kinect tracking is too slow to function in VR.

Body detection is slow (has latency) , because of the nature of alghoritams, but not camera itself.
Camera part is just like any other camera and they could use IR sensors or morpheus-like blue lights on the glasses for detection.

Body detection is slow (has latency) , because of the nature of alghoritams, but not camera itself.
Camera part is just like any other camera and they could use IR sensors or morpheus-like blue lights on the glasses for detection.

Nah I heard it's definetly the limitation of the Kinect camera. It only does body detection at 1080p30fps while PS4 Camera goes up to 240fps.

I wish people understood that AR is not the same thing as VR

AR = Augmented Reality -> Google Glasses, likely Fortaleza

VR = Virtual Reality -> Oculus Rift, Morpheus

AR is an overlay on top of the real world

VR is a virtual world [or at least it's supposed to be]

Both are interesting solutions but they are not the same thing

My body is ready for the Deal-with-it gifs

Not necessarily true. Former Valve engineers Kickstarter for castAR is both VR and AR.

You simply clip on an attachment to castAR and it converts the glasses from augmented to virtual reality.

47c813babfaef62e903006c11cd53ae9_large.jpg

This clip-on attaches to the front of the glasses to transform your experience into either true AR or true VR. True AR allows you to use our glasses without the retro-reflective surface, augmenting the real world. True VR is a fully synthesized environment; the computer generates all aspects of the visuals you see. The clip-on has been designed to be comfortable and lightweight, yet still provide the immersive atmosphere you want. With this component, you will have no need for any other head mounted display.

Kickstarter for castAR made over a million dollars.

No need that much words to explain

AR=bring your waifu to your world.
VR=go to your waifu's world and meet her

plainr_

uh, yeah it is.

I've always imagine AR being somewhat more advanced than that. Like accurately overlaying graphics over real life items. A HUD fixed in one position on the glasses is not what I had in mind. Seems pretty basic if so since that requires no tracking whatsoever.

Not necessarily true. Former Valve engineers Kickstarter for castAR is both VR and AR.

You simply clip on an attachment to castAR and it converts the glasses from augmented to virtual reality.

47c813babfaef62e903006c11cd53ae9_large.jpg

Kickstarter for castAR made over a million dollars.

Eh but that's a VR/AR combo solution. Pure AR is AR. Pure VR is VR. They are two completely different concepts even if someone is trying to make one peripheral that can support both

You can't have VR and AR active at once because that would make no sense.

Those goggles are either AR or VR depending on the setting.

AR and VR are completely different concepts

Eh but that's a VR/AR combo solution. Pure AR is AR. Pure VR is VR. They are two completely different concepts even if someone is trying to make one peripheral that can support both

You can't have VR and AR active at once because that would make no sense.

Those goggles are either AR or VR depending on the setting.

AR and VR are completely different concepts

No, that's where we disagree. They are not completely different. They are different, but very similar. There is a lot of overlap in the technologies.

In terms of practicality of the technologies, VR seems to require a lot more resources from developers to build entire environments and a lot more resources from the system to render those worlds. VR also seems less useful than AR in a mobile/social world.

The time and resources necessary to build a VR world seems much more than that of an AR experience. Best idea would be to build a device like castAR that is capable of doing all 3 experiences (standard active 3D with head tracking, AR, and VR).

Top Bottom