• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Otomedius to 360 (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems Konami's Japanese site was for a time listing a 360 version of Otomedius, called Otomedius G, but it has since been deleted. To my knowledge, this has been the only mention of a home port of the title. Perhaps some among you may be able to glean more from the original story than Babelfish's hilarious attempt.

Can we begin the celebration? Has anyone logged any serious time on this in the arcades?

Found the story on Danmaku Gata first, which linked to Xbox News. The archived search link came from the System11 thread on the game. Relevant links:
Original story (JP)
System 11 thread, page 7 (scroll down for the relevant info)
Archived Konami search page (you'll probably have to click through the initial page)

manzo

I thought this was a hoax when I saw this on game@futaba.

Something tells me that this ain't coming.

IzumiK

Banned
Why cheer for this if you don't live in Japan?

Clearly, not coming stateside or Yurop. PSP/PS3 is the best choice for region freedom.

The amount of whining people do this gen for games that are on Xbox 360 is unfuckingbelievable....Buy the fucking system!

Far too many people are used to hating the Xbox and having everything on the Playstation or even Nintendo getting some Japanese support. But this gen, the tide has turned, and yet some people still cling to their fucking hardware bias.

Vast Inspiration said:
Far too many people are used to hating the Xbox and having everything on the Playstation or even Nintendo getting some Japanese support. But this gen, the tide has turned, and yet some people still cling to their fucking hardware bias.

I would totally buy a used Xbox2 and pirate all the games I wanted to play (all two of them, and Otomedius if it were ported); but I am not putting up with this RRoD bullshit. :\

Durante

Vast Inspiration said:
The amount of whining people do this gen for games that are on Xbox 360 is unfuckingbelievable....Buy the fucking system!
I own the system and I don't own a PS3 yet.

But I think it's perfectly rational to want games that will most likely never be localized to appear on a region-free system. You know, to actually play them.

pswii60

The Take Out Bandit said:
I would totally buy a used Xbox2 and pirate all the games I wanted to play (all two of them, and Otomedius if it were ported); but I am not putting up with this RRoD bullshit. :\
2mg1o1y.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
IzumiK said:
Why cheer for this if you don't live in Japan?

Clearly, not coming stateside or Yurop. PSP/PS3 is the best choice for region freedom.

Durante said:
I own the system and I don't own a PS3 yet.

But I think it's perfectly rational to want games that will most likely never be localized to appear on a region-free system. You know, to actually play them.

I have not yet run into a Japanese or Asian release X360 game that was region locked.

*EDIT*
Looking at the lists, it seems about 80% are region free and 20% Locked.

Durante said:

Actually, it's more of why release a Japan-centric title like this on MS's lost cause in Japan? :\

Durante

Router said:
I have not yet run into a Japanese or Asian release X360 game that was region locked.
Strange, every single one I'd like to import is region locked.

Router said:
Yeah, and the region free ones are those that are released in all regions anyway.

lets hope its a fake. i want this on PS3 this year before Gradius VI in 2009.

i do despise the artwork of the main heroines, but at least the rest is looking pretty good. any word on the music? who is the composer?

Xisiqomelir

Actually, it's more of why release a Japan-centric title like this on MS's lost cause in Japan? :\

Saturn, Dreamcast and XB2. Shmup publishers <3 dying/dead systems.

ethelred

lupin23rd said:
<rolleyes>Why not put it on the system you are (apparently) putting Gradius on....</rolleyes>

Is that what your reaction will on the off chance that Treasure or Cave or any other 360-heavy developer announces a PS3 game?

Bebpo

Banned
Router said:

*EDIT*

Uhhh....I think 1 Japanese X360 game is listed as region free (AC6) and I think it's a typo. EVERY JAPANESE RELEASE IS REGION LOCKED.

wtf games are you "running into".

icecream

Public Health Threat
IzumiK said:
Except... this and many other shooters aren't on the PS3 yet.

More Mine is always good!

Bebpo said:
Uhhh....I think 1 Japanese X360 game is listed as region free (AC6) and I think it's a typo.
From reports, AC6 JP does work.

I'm not sure how the PS3 being region-free is helpful to 2D shooter devs.

1. 2D shooter devs make most of their money in arcades. Why do you think Cave has zero interest in porting any of their shit?
2. 2D shooters typically enjoy niche sales in Japan(the biggest shooters are lucky to see 50k). The US & Europe combined amounts to what? another 1k? Considering all of the region-locked 360 games most publishers simply don't think it's worth the hassle.

Eh I think it's shitty myself as I can't trust publishers to port anything over. But hell if Aksys can translate Guilty Gear 2 AND add changes/improvements I'm sure someone out there can be bothered with releasing the already-translated Raiden Fighters Jet along with DoJ and Ketsui. Best I can do is support any and all 2D shooter releases in the US and hope against hope that US publishers are interested in the prospect of throwing money away.

If Gradius VI does actually happen I expect Konami to tap an outside-developer to handle it like the last game. The top two choices are of course G-Rev and Treasure(both devs worked on Gradius V after all) and seeing as they already have experience on the 360...and pretty much every 2D shooter dev/pub is throwing their weight behind the 360...

*shrug*

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bebpo said:
Uhhh....I think 1 Japanese X360 game is listed as region free (AC6) and I think it's a typo. EVERY JAPANESE RELEASE IS REGION LOCKED.

wtf games are you "running into".

router said:

Bebpo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

1. 2D shooter devs make most of their money in arcades. Why do you think Cave has zero interest in porting any of their shit?
2. 2D shooters typically enjoy niche sales in Japan(the biggest shooters are lucky to see 50k). The US & Europe combined amounts to what? another 1k? Considering all of the region-locked 360 games most publishers simply don't think it's worth the hassle.

Eh I think it's shitty myself as I can't trust publishers to port anything over. But hell if Aksys can translate Guilty Gear 2 AND add changes/improvements I'm sure someone out there can be bothered with releasing the already-translated Raiden Fighters Jet along with DoJ and Ketsui. Best I can do is support any and all 2D shooter releases in the US and hope against hope that US publishers are interested in the prospect of throwing money away.

Yeah. Solution is just for people to buy an Asia or JPN X360. :D

Durante

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't think anyone claimed that. It just would be massively helpful to me.

Bebpo said:
Yeah. Solution is just for people to buy an Asia or JPN X360.
Yeah, but that's a rather expensive and cumbersome solution.

mollipen

Router said:

*EDIT*

See, you're being kind of sneaky here, because you're mixing Japanese releases, which typically are region locked, with Asian releases, which typically aren't.

Here's Play Asia's compatibility guide. Pretty much every Japanese release is either "unknown" or "Japan only." If you'd like to let me (and others) know exactly which Japanese (NOT Asian, Japanese) releases are region free, please. I know I'd love to know, and I'm sure others would as well.

icecream said:
By developing for the PS3 in the first place rather than the 360.

And yet here we are. Maybe we should start by figuring out why 2D shooter devs aren't developing for the PS3?

I mean let's see...

-Way more successful than the 360
-More powerful than the 360
-The PS2 saw the lion's share of 2D shooter releases last gen(unless you count Dreamcast).
-Region-free

Hell why aren't 2D shooter devs supporting the Wii?

-Seemingly everyone in Japan owns one
-Native low-res hardware provides for more accurate arcade ports.
-Region-locked but apparently easy to bypass

Yet they're going with the 360 which is/has...

-More or less a failure in Japan already
-Region-locked like a freaking tank
-shitty d-pad

Funny how things work.

Durante said:
I don't think anyone claimed that. It just would be massively helpful to me.

Sucks huh?

pswii60

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And yet here we are. Maybe we should start by figuring out why 2D shooter devs aren't developing for the PS3?

I mean let's see...

-Way more successful than the 360
-More powerful than the 360
-The PS2 saw the lion's share of 2D shooter releases last gen(unless you count Dreamcast).
-Region-free

Hell why aren't 2D shooter devs supporting the Wii?

-Seemingly everyone in Japan owns one
-Native low-res hardware provides for more accurate arcade ports.
-Region-locked but apparently easy to bypass

Yet they're going with the 360 which is/has...

-More or less a failure in Japan already
-Region-locked like a freaking tank
-shitty d-pad

Funny how things work.

Sucks huh?
Although you make good points above, keep in mind that 360 is very easy to develop for / port to, has an extremely hardcore demographic - even in Japan, and has a cheaper and more accesible devkit for small devs. I suppose those might be the cutting reasons. After all, it's happening, so there must be some kind of reason behind it. I highly doubt MS would be moneyhatting all these shmups - why would they? Take a look back at Dreamcast.

Acosta

PepsimanVsJoe said:

It's helpful for us, that is the point I guess, it makes our life easier in order to import shoot'em ups. It would be way more convenient, especially since 100% of Japanese games for 360 are region locked (and I don't think shoot'em ups get an asian release).

Edit: But yeah, I guess 360 will be the shoot'em up machine this gen. It's powerful enough, and it will probably more familiar for these companies where every cent is important. If I don't see a change of this tendence I will considerate getting a Japanese 360 at some point.

Acosta said:
It's helpful for us, that is the point I guess, it makes our life easier in order to import shoot'em ups.

That's all well and good but guess what? Japan doesn't care. Back in the Nintendo/Sega days tabs were stuck in the console to keep Japanese games from fitting into US machines. People sawed those tabs off and went on. Mega-drive games came in different shapes to keep people from sticking them into their Genesis so they used a game genie to bypass that and then they had to start using game genie codes to unlock later games.

For the 32-bit gen we had to buy cartridges, mod consoles, and/or swap-discs in order to bypass region-locks and even that wasn't 100% guaranteed. Not to mention the fact that new versions of consoles were released that tried to do away with these.

Last gen we had to do all of those things again, sure for some systems it was easier than others but in the process we saw an even greater surge in piracy. Someone could take an Xbox and with a bit of work they had a console capable of playing games from 20 or so other consoles. Somebody out there got word of this and they were pissed off, so...

Here we are today with a 360 you can't even open without MS eating your children and drowning your pets, a Wii that constantly updates so who knows how long that Freeloader is good for, and for the PS3 that Sony has...well..it seems like they've given up the fight and they don't care what you do with the system(or maybe they're simply going on a case-by-case basis) On the other hand they sure hate it when you mod their PSPs.

But do know this. Ever read a notice on a Japanese game that reads something to the effect of "It is unlawful to play this game outside of Japan."? You've probably seen this before. Most publishers don't particularly care about the status of Grey Market imports because hey it's extra money right? There should be no issue with people importing games or consoles or whatever? So why is that lik-sang got shut down? The law might get bended often but eventually companies have to put their foot down.

And yeah maybe there's that little thing about piracy. For some reason publishers hate it when people get games without paying for them, and modded/region-free consoles are usually targeted first. Sure Sony's system might be region-free for PS3 releases, but it damn sure isn't for PS2 and PS1 cause y'know why? Because PS1/PS2 titles don't come on blu-rays and until blu-ray burners are less than $100 you can bet that's part of the reason why Sony went with them.

I don't have any formal education on the matter and I'm probably making this all up but if you really think Japan cares about importers they probably would have made the entire process of playing import games just a little bit easier.

Do you live in Japan? Why the fuck do you care? And you'd pirate that shit anyway.

Why isn't this joke of an account banned yet?

Durante

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Here we are today with a 360 you can't even open without MS eating your children and drowning your pets, a Wii that constantly updates so who knows how long that Freeloader is good for, and for the PS3 that Sony has...well..it seems like they've given up the fight and they don't care what you do with the system
Interestingly, the PS3 is also the only system where piracy remains impossible so far. So perhaps "giving up the fight" is a smart idea.

Acosta

PepsimanVsJoe said:
That's all well and good but guess what? Japan doesn't care. Back in the Nintendo/Sega days tabs were stuck in the console to keep Japanese games from fitting into US machines. People sawed those tabs off and went on. Mega-drive games came in different shapes to keep people from sticking them into their Genesis so they used a game genie to bypass that and then they had to start using game genie codes to unlock later games.

For the 32-bit gen we had to buy cartridges, mod consoles, and/or swap-discs in order to bypass region-locks and even that wasn't 100% guaranteed. Not to mention the fact that new versions of consoles were released that tried to do away with these.

Last gen we had to do all of those things again, sure for some systems it was easier than others but in the process we saw an even greater surge in piracy. Someone could take an Xbox and with a bit of work they had a console capable of playing games from 20 or so other consoles. Somebody out there got word of this and they were pissed off, so...

Here we are today with a 360 you can't even open without MS eating your children and drowning your pets, a Wii that constantly updates so who knows how long that Freeloader is good for, and a PS3 that Sony has...well..it seems like they've given up the fight and they don't care what you do with the system.

But do know this. Ever read a notice on a Japanese game that reads something to the effect of "It is unlawful to play this game outside of Japan."? You've probably seen this before. Most publishers don't particularly care about the status of Grey Market imports because hey it's extra money right? There should be no issue with people importing games or consoles or whatever? So why is that lik-sang got shut down? The law might get bended often but eventually companies have to put their foot down.

I don't have any formal education on the matter and I'm probably making this all up but if you really think Japan cares about importers they probably would have made the entire process of playing import games just a little bit easier.

I didn't need the essay, and no, they don't care. But we do, and it would better and more convenient for us if the situation was other. What are we going to do about that? post about our personal preferences in our favourite videogame forum, like we are doing it now. Big deal.

Acosta said:
I didn't need the essay, and no, they don't care. But we do, and it would better and more convenient for us if the situation was other. What are we going to do about that? post about our personal preferences in our favourite videogame forum, like we are doing it now. Big deal.

Sucks huh?

Vast Inspiration said:
Do you live in Japan? Why the fuck do you care? And you'd pirate that shit anyway.

Nope.

Because I like shooters and Mine Yoshizaki.

And I don't pirate software; but I'd make an exception for Microsoft and anybody who makes the mistake of supporting them. If only they'd make a console that didn't break constantly. :D

Personally, I don't understand why games like this that are clearly not king makers (GTA, Halo, Mario, MGS) are even exclusive to begin with. Put it on all platforms, maximize profits!

IzumiK

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
-shitty d-pad
-shitty d-pad
-shitty d-pad
-shitty d-pad
-shitty d-pad
-shitty d-pad
That's my major gripe, even if I had a Japanese 360.

How can I precisely dodge a million bullets with a piece of junk dpad?

Augemitbutter said:
lets hope its a fake. i want this on PS3 this year before Gradius VI in 2009.
Have we found something new to BELIEVE in for 2009?

TToB said:
Personally, I don't understand why games like this that are clearly not king makers (GTA, Halo, Mario, MGS) are even exclusive to begin with. Put it on all platforms, maximize profits!
Lack of development resources, especially when it comes to niche games, is likely the case. They make the safest investment they can on the console with the largest install base.

Nope.

Because I like shooters and Mine Yoshizaki.

And I don't pirate software; but I'd make an exception for Microsoft and anybody who makes the mistake of supporting them. If only they'd make a console that didn't break constantly. :D

All I read from your posts is "I need a 360 but I'm too much of a messageboard warrior to ever go back on my word".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom