• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario Color Splash footage from JP Nintendo Direct

Yukinari

Look at all the funny and cool stuff we can do with paper you guys.

I mean it looks pretty and has good music but im not throwing my money at a game anymore for those two things alone.

TrueBlue

I like the look of this game more and more.

It's not the sequel to TTYD I wanted, but I'm very much intrigued. There's charm oozing out of every pore.

Most anticipated game for me next few months is a Wii U game lol (this) and potentially throughout the whole year (keeping expectations in check for FF XV though that may end up delayed again)

Xeno X and Tokyo Mirage are 2 of my favorite RPG's in years, as of now Wii U has been a better JRPG platform for me than my X1 and PS4. (Could change though as more PS4 JRPG's come out)

What a shame that they made such a good looking game only to keep sticker star/paper jams insistence on nigh on every important paper npc being a damn toad.

I'm now imagining 2016 Nintendo making the original SMB. Red Toad and Green Toad go on an adventure to save Pink Toad from the castle after she was kidnapped by Black Toad. On the way they have to avoid deadly Brown Toad on the ground and White Toad flying around in clouds

rhandino

Banned
EKNaBmk.gif

The "action adventure" part made me laugh a bit tho.

Bakkus

Looks as shallow as always and a disgrace towards what the series once was. With the cherry on top being that the developers themselves insulting people who once liked the franchise.

killroy87

Looks good, but something feels...off. I don't know if it's the lighting, or the color palette, or what, but even the scenes that feel like they should be bright and sunny feel off. (And I know a core mechanic is restoring vibrancy to the world, I mean even the areas that look restored look a bit dim)

Eliseo

Looks as shallow as always and a disgrace towards what the series once was. With the cherry on top being that the developers themselves insulting people who once liked the franchise.

7/10 bait post

Anyway, I can't wait to play this game.

nynt9

Looks good, but something feels...off. I don't know if it's the lighting, or the color palette, or what, but even the scenes that feel like they should be bright and sunny feel off. (And I know a core mechanic is restoring vibrancy to the world, I mean even the areas that look restored look a bit dim)

Yeah, the aesthetic is nice but the color palette looks weirdly dark.

hatchx

Banned
The graphics look great, but I still don't think I'll buy it. Doesn't look fun at all. Doesn't feel like Mario is exploring a place or a world, but sections of gameplay.

:_:

21XX

Banned
Looks pretty, but I hope the series takes a rest for a long while after this. Adopt a new aesthetic or take a Mario spinoff in a new direction.

But if that's the case, I hope this is a quality sendoff.

PMS341

The game looks gorgeous, but the battle system really is a shame.

I don't know who asked for a sequel to Sticker Star, but seriously damn you.

More people like than franchise than ever before. :)

By the way: Color Splash looks fantastic, seems to have good gameplay and a witty dialogues. Has a good chance to expel Super Paper Mario from throne as best Paper Mario of all time.

Weird to see so many opposite opinions

Loved thousand year door and this looks like the best next thing since that game to me

Looks great, and the insane combat "summons" are really cool

I'm simply loving everything about this game. What it may lack in being "true" to the series it compensates with how beautiful and polished this looks. There's clearly a lot of love put into this game and I couldn't be more excited.

Also, I love the little details like this in an earlier trailer

iaTefLv.gif

xandaca

Still vastly prefer the art style of the original PM and TTYD to this. The white outlines are the most unwelcome, but it might also have a lot to do with the generic environments seen so far and the camera giving it less of a diorama feel. I'd lurve a new PM, but this is stoking no enthusiasm in me whatsoever.

Yeah, they've been turning me around on this. Looks fun, gorgeous, music's lovely so far, and I've been enjoying the humor. Hope more characters like the Rescue Squad show up throughout.

I lament what it lost, but I'll stay optimistic about this. Looks like a good time.

Yukinari

Still vastly prefer the art style of the original PM and TTYD to this. The white outlines are the most unwelcome, but it might also have a lot to do with the generic environments seen so far and the camera giving it less of a diorama feel. I'd lurve a new PM, but this is stoking no enthusiasm in me whatsoever.

Im not gonna be the first to defend this game but the white outline makes a tiny bit of sense if the game is focused around characters getting the color sucked out of them.

I hate the outlines and overall animations too. TYD had a silky smooth presentation.

Gnomist

I'm digging that jazzy SMB3 remix in the last bit of the video. Hoping the soundtrack on this one really delivers.

As someone who never loved the RPG mechanics of the Mario RPG games this still looks great.

I need to play Sticker Star in the coming weeks to see what the fuss was about.

KiN0

The games looks better and better with each showing, and the trailer seemed to show some environments outside of the generic desert, plains, beach, forest, etc.

My main gripe still lies with the apparent lack of original character designs. That's something I can't forgive.

Yukinari

Kind of sad that everyone is just letting a game slide because it looks pretty.

The gameplay and character variety look unchanged from Sticker Star, no matter what footage i watch. Painting the world is the only part i kind of like. Paper gimmicks is not why Paper Mario got popular either.

Youll get a few laughs from the dialogue and get to treat your eyes to nice visuals for 60 bucks. I guess thats what people want?

The game looks good. Really good. But fuck, Sticker Star looked good for the 3DS and it was probably the most irredeemably disappointing game I've ever played in my life, not a word of hyperbole. I can't help but be sceptical about this.

Mr-Joker

Banned

The gameplay and character variety look unchanged from Sticker Star, no matter what footage i watch. Painting the world is the only part i kind of like. Paper gimmicks is not why Paper Mario got popular either.

Youll get a few laughs from the dialogue and get to treat your eyes to nice visuals for 60 bucks. I guess thats what people want?

I am not letting it slide because it looks pretty, I am letting it slide because from what I have seen the game actually has charm and the battle system looks to be fun and better than sticker stars.

I don't think that I will regret getting this game when it launches.

CrisKre

You are downplaying a game that you haven´t played yet. Looks like a lot of care went into it. Looks great and polished. People like what they see. Simple.

TrueBlue

This is unnecessary. Is it really that hard to believe that people might be seeing aspects of the game that appeal to them but don't to you?

The implication that anyone who is positive towards the game is only doing so because they've been turned by the pretty graphics isn't fair.

R0ckman

What a shame that they made such a good looking game only to keep sticker star/paper jams insistence on nigh on every important paper npc being a damn toad.

I'm now imagining 2016 Nintendo making the original SMB. Red Toad and Green Toad go on an adventure to save Pink Toad from the castle after she was kidnapped by Black Toad. On the way they have to avoid deadly Brown Toad on the ground and White Toad flying around in clouds

I'm pretty sure the original Paper Mario team has split from the series in terms of directors. This is a whole new team which is why the games design wise seem like intern quality experiments.

Well I aint play sticker star so I dont give a damn.. Day 1

Yukinari

You are downplaying a game that you haven´t played yet. Looks like a lot of care went into it. Looks great and polished. People like what they see. Simple.

Sticker Star is already out which is what this games foundation is built on.

I watched the E3 gameplay and the battle system is extremely similar with the only addition being having to fill in cards with paint before using them. It also has the world map, end goals and "things" from that game too. Hell they even use the same exact gag from SS with a ton of toads pouring out of an enclosed space.

CrisKre

Sticker Star is already out which is what this games foundation is built on.

I watched the E3 gameplay and the battle system is extremely similar with the only addition being having to fill in cards with paint before using them. It also has the world map, end goals and "things" from that game too. Hell they even use the same exact gag from SS with a ton of toads pouring out of an enclosed space.

People are confifdent that they have balanced the game better and added incentives to fight enemies. That is the main gripe with SS as far as im concerned. It is outherwise a fantastic game This crusade to have poeple shit on a game that looks charming as hell is out of hand. If you are unsure about it, wait for impressions. For the rest of us that feel excited, what we see is enough to warant a purchase and positive outlook.

Top Bottom