• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash - PAX West gameplay (The Golden Coliseum)

sikkinixx

Can't say I like the silly real life things (like that Japanese cat squishing Iggy) but the game looks beautiful and my wife is all in on the game.

This game looks really good. I can't say I wouldn't prefer more character to the, well, characters, but it still does looks pretty damn good. It's going to be send off I give my Wii U.

Sticker Star's battle system is just painful to watch, and I don't care for the herky-jerky animation style they've changed the series to either. Continuing Sticker Star's tradition of using settings with interesting story telling potential and using them as little more than basic set pieces for bosses sucks too.

Gorgeous graphics otherwise and the music is pretty good. Too bad the rest seems just as rotten to the core as Sticker Star was.

PMS341

Sticker Star's battle system is just painful to watch, and I don't care for the herky-jerky animation style they've changed the series to either. Continuing Sticker Star's tradition of using settings with interesting story telling potential and using them as little more than basic set pieces for bosses sucks too.

Gorgeous graphics otherwise and the music is pretty good. Too bad the rest seems just as rotten to the core as Sticker Star was.

udivision

Good graphics and music, and a decent enough experience I bet.

But the bad game design decisions just scream out at every corner.

JediLink

I hate the koopalings and I'm mad that they're using them at all, especially if they're in place of what would otherwise be original bosses.

Phu

Banned
I like the dumb summons like the lemon slices, but this is still a heavy 'wait and see' title.

Tap to select card. Looks like another game I can't play cause my game pad is broken. I wish it didn't cost 55% of a new wiiu just to fix.

Mory Dunz

The levels design and "puzzle solving" is a lot better than in that very poor haunted hotel stage. The colloseum looked good
....until fights started

But still....it's just not there, plain and simple.

Additionally, the real world objects look stupid and get old. Like summons in a jrpg except they don't look nearly as cool. There needs to be a "skip" option.

Secondly, the concept of thing cards, especially when it seems like you almost need them to win some boss battles is exceedingly stupid.

KiN0

Battles look decent, and the visuals are gorgeous; but the character designs are so disappointing. If anything has damaged this series, it's the fact that all the background nps are now generic Mario characters as opposed to the unique civilian designs from past games.

On a more positive note, the humor is on point. I love how mean spirited all the characters are.

Mariolee

Love the graphics, and the gameplay seems OK? Like it seems in these vids way too frequent that Mario gets special moves.

Teknoman

Honestly I'm not sure why they didn't just forge forward with ttyd battle system.

I mean, is that all you fight with, elaborate summon cards?

skypunch

Banned
Disgusting direction for the series. Those real world objects look absolutely disgusting, too. Paper Mario is dead.

Krammy

Echoing what most have said since this was revealed. Great graphics, humour is on-point, and the music even seems alright, but I'll never bother with it because I have no interest in the gameplay direction. Shame.

Jinkies

I just want a regular Mario 3D platformer, but with an RPG-quality story. Mario games haven't felt AAA since maybe Sunshine (not to say Galaxy is bad, just not as ambitious as some other contemporary titles of the time).

I just want a regular Mario 3D platformer, but with an RPG-quality story. Mario games haven't felt AAA since maybe Sunshine (not to say Galaxy is bad, just not as ambitious as some other contemporary titles of the time).

Do you think so? Galaxy 1 was very ambitious and had a quality story (the Rosalina stuff is pretty touching). Galaxy 2 on the other hand was a safe but good successor to 1.

But yeah, you are right about that AAA feeling. I hope the Mario NX will be more in the veints of 64/S/G than 3D Land/World

Kinsei

Banned
At least the bone is found in the same level as the boss. Hopefully all of the items that are required for bosses are like that. Having to go back multiple stages in order to get the one item required for the boss in Sticker Star was abysmal.

Honestly I'm not sure why they didn't just forge forward with ttyd battle system.

If it's anything like Sticker Star then you'll never use them outside of boss fights because you're afraid that you'll accidentally use the item you need to beat the boss and then have to backtrack to get it again.

I hate the koopalings and I'm mad that they're using them at all, especially if they're in place of what would otherwise be original bosses.

Exactly, gets on my nerves too. Guess its more easy to throw existing bosses at the player than creating new and original bosses. That trend started with 3D Land and continues throughout the Mario franchise. Its a shame, really.

Kinsei

Banned
I really don't see the point of fighting if you can't level up. Game looks gorgeous but think I'm gonna pass.

They said it in the demo. Enemies you defeat give you scraps (EXP) and when you get enough you increase your paint gauge (Level Up). It's not called leveling up but it's pretty much the same thing.

TrueBlue

I must admit, I did laugh out loud when Mario missed his jump attack and broke the fourthb wall. The out of tune note made it.

The music, visuals, and writing all seem great! And gameplay, while not ideal, is much improved wfrom Sticker Star. May still be good as something not related to the first 2-3 paper marios. As its own thing, as a sequel to only sticker star, it seems pretty good!

J@hranimo

Banned
Still not sure how to feel about this game.

If looks beautiful and music seems good, but I'm not really sold on this over the first 3 Paper Mario games. It could be good, just not too sure about me liking it.

-shadow-

I just hope by the time it's being released they've added that u in the title. It annoys me way more than it should...

roytheone

Looks gorgeous, but the non-boss fights seemed....extremely easy? Hopefully the guy playing just had a bunch of overpowered cards because I don't think a normal enemy got a single attack in during this demo?

Zips

The battle system seems very bad, relying on consumable items as your means of attack. The 3D items, of which at least some you have to have to beat bosses, are unnecessary, out of place, and actively forced on you.

I can't tell from this clip if the areas are little more than background set pieces trying to serve as the variety in place of varied enemies. The generic enemies could have had anything else as the background without any difference outside of shallow conversation tie ins and the boss's temporary vehicle.

The visuals and text of the game seem like they are trying to save the poorly designed gameplay. I want this game to be great, so I am concerned.

Nintendo needs to figure out a better way to differentiate its Mario RPGs than saddling such a charming series with a poor gameplay system.

Narroo

There was an interview a while back where they mentioned that it was because they wanted to differentiate the franchise from the Mario and Luigi rpg franchise. Apparently, they felt that there needed to be only one Mario RPG series. Which actually makes sense, but eviscerating the Paper Mario series seems like a bad way to do it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Graphically beautiful with simple but catchy music. Everything else is powerfully underwhelming.

Top Bottom