• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photobucket changes policy, locks embedding images behind highest-tier paywall

Accoun

The key feature of a Photobucket account we're talking about here is called "3rd Party Hosting." It allows you to embed images from Photobucket in another location on the Internet, e.g. in a forum post or on a website.

As Norvic Philatelics discovered, Photobucket changed its terms and conditions and removed the 3rd Party Hosting feature from the lower subscription tiers. If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.
The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation
https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Even more, it seems to completely lock people out of their images, not just embeds (although that's what a friend who had some pics on there says, can't confirm if I understood correctly).

Hycran

Banned
Well, it's a good thing they have a complete monopoly on photo hosting services. This is sure to make them quite wealthy!

DOWN

Banned
This seems completely out of touch, but then again, so is anyone who is still using photobucket

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Haha ah haha

Jesus just buy web hosting then.

Dishwalla

Banned
I don't see how this is gonna work out positively for them. I have tons of pictures on various forums that I guess are broken now, sucks I guess. Sure as hell not paying 400 dollars for the service, that's insane.

shira

joining imageshack frog?

windowslivewriterfroggyicons-ed91imageshack-frog31.png

Seems like any photo sharing site, if around long enough, turns to pure shit. Imgur is on track for this with their stupid mobile app and inability to see direct images on mobile.

bman94

Lol, Photobucket. I haven't used that since a made horrible sprite comics in middle school around 2006.

AdanVC

Everytime I'm looking for an image and it is hosted in Photobucket, I literally cry and I close the tab as fast as the speed of light.

Photobucket used to be cool back in the day... it's like they want to die on the worst way possible with this lame policies.

JC Lately

Yeah was going to make a thread about this yesterday, as most of images I posted here on GAF was done via Photobucket, but figured no one would really care unless they have a burning desire to see my past FF54JF updates.

I'm actually not against paying for image hosting in and of itself. I was actually paying for thier Plus 30 plan, which was $30 a year for 30 gigs, unlimited bandwidth for 3rd party linking at full resolution. But This new tier is an over 1200% increase for the same service, so they can go pound sand.

I wonder how many people still used photobucket. I stopped using it about 2 years ago after the site became almost unusable.

I didnt even know Photobucket was still a thing.

been reading the hate on Photobuck's FB page. Someone posted this exchange with their customer service team

Bgwa79f.jpg

LMAO that is some brutal honesty. Fuck people who take out the anger of corporate decisions on customer service peeps.

Hahahahaha, what are they thinking? Not like that had much of a market left anyway but this is straight up business suicide.

Literally just one last attempt at fucking over their users before they, well, kick the bucket.

I feel bad for that support rep above, though.

Top Bottom