• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Games #3 and #4 Revealed

jvm

Gamasutra.
From Gamasutra...

He revealed the four games in the series - PixelJunk Racers, PixelJunk Monsters, both already released - and coming soon, and confirmed for the first time - PixelJunk Eden and PixelJunk Dungeons.

As an ending point, Cuthbert then showed a video for PixelJunk Eden, the next in the series, and a spectacularly abstract physics-based game where you collect pollen and birth flowers as a small blob - with plenty of primary colors and combo effects.

The Q Games co-founder suggested that the title was "kind of like an organic Mario, in a way" - and its psychedelic visuals went down very well with the audience.

Cuthbert showed an early sketch for PixelJunk Dungeons, the fourth game in the series, depicted as a top-down dungeon crawler, showcasing some potential visual styles for the upcoming post-Eden title.

Chris R

Might get these, sound pretty cool. PJM is a blast to play and enjoy, while I though PJR was a pile o'crap. MORE LIKE PJM PLZ

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Thing we have already seen the Eden one, remeber seeing some tripped out long plant looking stems and stuff but first i have heard of dungeon, should be kick ass Monsters is hella fun/HARD.

Kittonwy

Banned
Awesome. Very intriguing.
gladtomeetya.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just for reference, this Eden game is heavely using the SPEs. To the point that it can't be done on other platforms.

edit: holy shit @ video

tanod

when is my burrito
PJR was really close to being something really special but didn't go the distance. PJM trampled on PJR's corpse as it ran by and suddenly took flight and flew across the finish line of awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That trailer looks funky. Day one buy buy buy.

This news + the PJ Monster expansion makes my week awesome. :D

Just for reference, this Eden game is heavely using the SPEs. To the point that it can't be done on other platforms.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that TTP?

kbear

I'm sold on both titles just on description alone. Q-games are quickly becoming one of my favorite devs this gen. PJ Monsters is a masterpiece..

Remy

I am pretty much to the point where I will go in Day 1 on anything the Pixeljunk team wants to put out. PJR and PJM remain two of my absolute favorite PSN titles.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
hot hot hot... this is not a troll, but I really love the PSN for giving me a reason to turn on the system between big titles, namely Mr. Mak and the PJ crew.

tanod

when is my burrito
kbear said:
That was awesome but bizarre at the same time. Can someone explain what's going on in that vid? Is this a 2d platformer of some sort?

It looks like a combination of a rag doll physics flash game and bionic commando. o_O

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:
Can you elaborate a bit more on that TTP?

From our latest email exchange:

Dylan said:
Actually, our next title uses the cell completely, the tech for it would be near impossible on any other platform.

Me said:
Thanks for sharing this bit of info. If given permission, I'd love to quote you about PJ 1-3 on GAF when the time is right. I can see the thread already: Next PixelJunk PS3 game "near impossible on any other platform". :D

Dylan said:
Haha, that title sounds a bit pretentious when shouted out loud like that. People will expect some amazing 3d graphics or something, but what we are doing is more subtle.

Me said:
Yeah. Still a catchy topic title tho. This is how you get attention on NeoGAF :D

Dylan said:
Well, when there are some screenshots you can definitely point out that I said we are using the cell processor extensively (and of course, other hardware doesn't have that kind of horsepower). :)

That's all. He didn't elaborate more at the time since the game was yet to be announced, but if you drop him an email I'm sure he will answer your questions. He's a very nice guy.

kbear said:
That was awesome but bizarre at the same time. Can someone explain what's going on in that vid? Is this a 2d platformer of some sort?

That's what I don't get. The little blog would go through different things and then randomly stop, before it "jumped" again.

tanod

when is my burrito
jiggle said:
Eden looks hot. This + monster expansion are instant purchase.

Any pictures/video of Dungeons?

Judging by what I read in the article cited by the OP, it's only in concept art form at this point.

kassatsu

Banned
jiggle said:
Eden looks hot. This + monster expansion are instant purchase.

Any pictures/video of Dungeons?
I don't see anything for it on the official site. I will keep a lookout though.

Tiktaalik

Pixeljunk Eden looks WOW WOW WOW. Very hot.

Pixeljunk Dungeon sounds extremely interesting too. I have a feeling this one could be very much in line with Pixeljunk Monsters, that is, taking a genre of game that is very popular on the PC and then giving it a bit of Japanese game design love to make it simpler and more accessible. It could be a sort of "my first roguelike" sort of game, and I mean that in a good way.

so excited. it's been said, but the pixeljunk games have been standouts on the psn and very worthwhile. i wasn't even terribly excited about racers or monsters, but i bought racers after having a great time with the demo and then monsters on good faith - both were incredibly impressive.

now that a couple are lined up that actually tickle my fancy in terms of genre (dungeon crawler? oh god give us a pixeljunk nethack with random levels and killer items) and aesthetics (the eden thing impressed my when i saw the first screenshot so long ago, even though it was unnamed and vague) - i can't wait. forget mgs4 and gran turismo, this is where my attention will be

Monsters is awesome, I will definately give these two a chance to impress me.
Can't wait for Monsters expansion though! Hope it comes out soon :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well Eden looks very strange and interesting at the same time. It looked like you would control the ball, jump off from the vines (?) to catch snow flakes and if you land in one of the circles that then spawns another vine/flower thing. Ah hell i dont know :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GeoramA said:
Those visuals please me, good job Q Games. Can't wait to see Dungeons.

So THAT is what would happen if Wik: Fable of Souls, Patapon and Flow had engaged in a three-way.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm so damn excited about Eden. Love the aesthetics and the game looks interesting, to boot.

Hell, I liked PixelJunk Monsters so much I'm going to give Racers another look.

Monsters has convinced me to pick up Racers. I've played Monsters so much--many many hours--that I feel I should at least give racers a shot. Even if I don't like Racers, I can just consider it a "bonus check" to Q-Games for giving me so much game for my money in Monsters. It won't break my bank, and they certainly deserve it.

Eden looks so full of win and wow that I can't wait.

The Dungeon game will be one to keep an eye on as well.

The best news out of all of this though is that a second set of games is in planning, and the business model seems to be working and building from title to title. Glad to see they are realizing their vision with the series, and gamers are starting to catch on.

Has an expansion of Monsters actually been confirmed yet?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pristine_Condition said:
Monsters has convinced me to pick up Racers. I've played Monsters so much--many many hours--that I feel I should at least give racers a shot. Even if I don't like Racers, I can just consider it a "bonus check" to Q-Games for giving me so much game for my money in Monsters. It won't break my bank, and they certainly deserve it.

Eden looks so full of win and wow that I can't wait.

The Dungeon game will be one to keep an eye on as well.

The best news out of all of this though is that a second set of games is in planning, and the business model seems to be working and building from title to title. Glad to see they are realizing their vision with the series, and gamers are starting to catch on.

Has an expansion of Monsters actually been confirmed yet?

Yes, yes it has.

Top Bottom