• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read the thread, but... some people like "wii"?

When I heard the name, I honestly thought "now there's something GAF can unite on- hating this awful, shitty name." It's not something like Google that starts off weird but becomes normal-sounding with time. It's somewhere between infantile and disgusting. I'm going to have to order this thing online because I don't want to have to say this name in a store.

It's barely even a heavy syllable, for fuck's sake. Really, this makes the purple Gamecube look like pandering to US gamers.

Beezy

Dragmire said:
Leave it to hardcore gamers to overanalyze something so simple. I mean, it's understandable because it's all we got right now, and for me it flip-flops between likeable and awkward. But all it takes is a little forward thinking.

It really is a very simple name. What's the first thing you notice? People will look at the use of two i's before ever thinking about urination. It won't be an emotional attachment that hangs in the balance and becomes crushed by something unexpected. They'll wonder what it's all about which will probably hit home in the advertising. If they don't care for the name, maybe they'll like the idea. The urination joke (which is just OMG TABOO!!!) might come later, but guess what, people might chuckle and then move on. It'll have games and stuff to give Wii its own meaning. It reminds me of V or Vega... stuff like that. It's not a big deal. 28 pages of thoughts won't be going through their minds, gathering evidence of how terrible the name is. They'll actually have games to give the name meaning. One day, we'll have that perspective, too. There's just too much overanalysis going on right now.

I don't care about the pee jokes, but have you actually said the name? It's just not right. :(

dannie said:
Wii will,Wii will rock you~!!!!!:D

OLD

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
The Shadow said:
That's right. Nintendo, so innovative they're rewriting the dictionary.
normal people rewrite the dictionary all the time with new words and using existing words in new ways. it's nothing special.

The Shadow said:
Btw, is your avatar changing on every refresh or am I just going nuts?
yeah, i barely get time to post cause i have to keep changing my avatar manually.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so anyway, I was just wondering... if Nintendo decided to keep the name for their next console after this one would they simply increment and make it the Wiii, with the next one being the Wiiii and so on? :D

Ristamar said:
I really don't get why "wee" is viewed as UK centric. As far as I know, wee is known as a another well known term for urinating in North America (though it probably isn't used nearly as much as pee, piss, or wizz... wee comes off as a bit childish).

My real name is John - that is slang for the loo ("I'm going to the John"), this didn't stop my parents. And Wee didn't stop Nintendo either. They should be fine - I was.

winston_pr said:
My real name is John - that is slang for the loo ("I'm going to the John"), this didn't stop my parents. And Wee didn't stop Nintendo either. They should be fine - I was.

You've heard the story of John Crapper, have you not?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i honestly don't think nintendo is doomed -- they're rich, they're persistent, and ds shows that the increasing perversity of their ideas is no obstacle to success. god knows where they'll be in five years -- in 2001, no one would've found a jumped-up fairywand gamecube called "wii" plausible.

SuperPac

the year 20XX said:
I haven't read the thread, but... some people like "wii"?

When I heard the name, I honestly thought "now there's something GAF can unite on- hating this awful, shitty name." It's not something like Google that starts off weird but becomes normal-sounding with time. It's somewhere between infantile and disgusting. I'm going to have to order this thing online because I don't want to have to say this name in a store.

It's barely even a heavy syllable, for fuck's sake. Really, this makes the purple Gamecube look like pandering to US gamers.

At first glance I really hated the name. Thought it was terrible. Unmarketable. Retail suicide. But it does exactly what Nintendo wants to do with the whole system. It gets people talking. It gets people wondering WTF. It gets people curious. And, if Nintendo plays their cards right, it will get people that wouldn't lay a finger on an Xbox 360 or PlayStation to take it for a spin and then remember the name. That's an important part of the equation here. It's not like Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. are going to refuse to carry it, and you know they're going to have demo stations set up.

It all comes down to the games and what it's like to play it. If people give it a whirl and have fun with it, then are they going to be all that concerned that the name is Wii? I sure as hell don't care, and have no problems going in to EB to preorder myself a Wii.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
It was impossible to get to this thread last night!

I still cant get used to this name. It still sounds terrible. I dont understand the comparisons with ipod either. ipod makes sense in a way because a pod is a case that carries something and you also cant make fun of the name because it doesnt sound like anything else, whilst wii makes people think of urine.

I've been wondering if there is any chance that nintendo will change the name again, either back to revolution or something that sounds better than wii. Nintendo probably didnt expect a reaction this bad. they probably thought that there would be some that dislike their decisions as usual, but just about everybody in the gaming community and anyone else who has heard about the news thinks it such a stupid name.

SuperPac said:
At first glance I really hated the name. Thought it was terrible. Unmarketable. Retail suicide. But it does exactly what Nintendo wants to do with the whole system. It gets people talking. It gets people wondering WTF. It gets people curious.

I really don't like this argument for the simple reason that you could say the exact same thing if it was the Nintendo Titfuck.

And I don't buy the "bad publicity is good publicity" either. People's impressions of Tom Cruise has shot downhill with all the Scientology getting out in the open.

psycho_snake said:
It was impossible to get to this thread last night!

I still cant get used to this name. It still sounds terrible. I dont understand the comparisons with ipod either. ipod makes sense in a way because a pod is a case that carries something and you also cant make fun of the name because it doesnt sound like anything else, whilst wii makes people think of urine.

I've been wondering if there is any chance that nintendo will change the name again, either back to revolution or something that sounds better than wii. Nintendo probably didnt expect a reaction this bad. they probably thought that there would be some that dislike their decisions as usual, but just about everybody in the gaming community and anyone else who has heard about the news thinks it such a stupid name.

C'mon they can't be that out of touch to NOT know that it was a bad name. right?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Scrow said:
so anyway, I was just wondering... if Nintendo decided to keep the name for their next console after this one would they simply increment and make it the Wiii, with the next one being the Wiiii and so on? :D
Just use the suffix/greek root strategy that iPod Nano, DS Lite, etc. uses.

Wii sol ... sol meaning "alone". Portable Wii?

manu Wii ... manu meaning "hand". Handheld Wii?

Wii vis ... vis meaning "see". Visor Wii?

neoWii .. neo meaning new. Next gen Wii?

And my favorite...

HoloWii!!

«þ»

Nintendo Wi would do exactly the same thing for Nintendo.

Sounds like "we", has the same curiousity/WTF factor plus will stop at least some of the "wee" jokes.

psycho_snake

The Shadow said:
I really don't like this argument for the simple reason that you could say the exact same thing if it was the Nintendo Titfuck.
:lol God just imagine if that was the name. I reckon it would sound better than wii

Everytime I see Wii, it makes me think of:

kiwi.jpg

Kiwis

Which brings up a good question, what is the plurarl of Wii?

Chrono

Banned
EVERY TIME I start thinking hey, it's growing on me I suddenly imagine actually SAYING Wii. I'd like to buy a Wii, please? One copy of Zelda Wii? WTF. :'(

SuperPac said:
The reaction was similar when Nintendo announced their dual-screen handheld. It was OMGWTFBBQ, touch=gimmick. DS=st00pid name. Nintendo am dead, PSP FTW. But I don't think many can say that the DS hasn't become a damn appealing system and that they've been perfectly able to ward off Sony's meager "advances" into handheld gaming. They're shit-hot in Japan.

The thing is though, dual screen has a) nothing to do with urine b) no problem being pronounced by adults.

oh and unlike yahoo, ebay, etc. it's NOT unique. ugh.

The only way I see this working is a massive and very, very clever nintendo marketing campaign + truly revolutionary games that'll define a new era or something... >_>

Or maybe if W.i.i. stands for the last secret... Please nintendo, at least let's pretend Wii standsd for something meaningful. You only have to market Wii, just give us something else to relate it to. :lol

civilstrife said:
the real reason behind the name: It fits nicely with the song.

http://wiichange.ytmnd.com/

I'd place money on that song appearing in some ads.

What song is that? sounds familiar.

psycho_snake

Scalemail Ted said:
C'mon they can't be that out of touch to NOT know that it was a bad name. right?
You'd think so, but they wouldnt have given the console that name if they didnt think it would sell.

SuperPac

The Shadow said:

Except that Wal-Mart wouldn't carry it in that instance.

And I don't buy the "bad publicity is good publicity" either. People's impressions of Tom Cruise has shot downhill with all the Scientology getting out in the open.

You're assuming that people will not get used to Wii, that the impression of the name is only going to go down, and that E3 will have no impact on people's acceptance of the name.

So maybe Wii is already in its plurarl form

I'd like to have two Wii, please.

I'd like to have two Wiis, please.

I'd like to have a wii, and another wii, please.

I'd like to have a Wii times 2 , please.

I'd like to get a Dual Wii, please.

:-/

psycho_snake

Actually, If I didnt speak English, Id think that this name would be cool. Its simple and it sticks in peoples heads. That doesnt make the decision to call it wii smart though because English the most spoken language around the world.

Its probably quite immature for us to all get annoyed with the name wii, but it really cant be helped. When you hear that name you instantly think of piss.

psycho_snake

Scalemail Ted said:

Your thinking too much about it mate;)

What store do you have to go to where you actually have to ask for your items? I go to Best Buy, and I pick the sucker up and walk over to the cashier.

I thought you guys knew better than to go to places like Gamestop, but barring other options, you could always say, "I'd like the new Nintendo console." If you really don't want to say it out loud, it's not exactly a brain buster to get around. :lol

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
What store do you have to go to where you actually have to ask for your items? I go to Best Buy, and I pick the sucker up and walk over to the cashier.

I thought you guys knew better than to go to places like Gamestop, but barring other options, you could always say, "I'd like the new Nintendo console." If you really don't want to say it out loud, it's not exactly a brain buster to get around. :lol

You offer up lots of answer that don't include a plurarl form, mister. :p

Vashu

psycho_snake said:
Actually, If I didnt speak English, Id think that this name would be cool. Its simple and it sticks in peoples heads. That doesnt make the decision to call it wii smart though because English the most spoken language around the world.

Its probably quite immature for us to all get annoyed with the name wii, but it really cant be helped. When you hear that name you instantly think of piss.

Only shows how shallow a lot of people are... :lol

I mean, English is a second language, which I speak fluently, but that didn't make me think of piss right from the start. In a year, the name will be accepted (well, not by the elitist and hardcore Nintendo trolls, but they'll just have to deal with it). Thing is, the name is catchy for the general public, no matter how you look at it. It's stylish, provocing and makes people wonder what Wii stands for.

Anyway, the same happened with the PlayStation name, Xbox, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, GameCube. Nintendo Dual Screen.

But no matter how they renamed it, they could never do it right (for NeoGAF) anyway. The 'Revolution' was too arrogant and cocky for Nintendo, no way they could live up to that name.

Oh, and for the record. English isn't the most spoken language that credit still goes to Chinese.

Timbuktu

Scalemail Ted said:

If Wii is plural then wouldn't the singular form be Wius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom